CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

7 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

How exactly is a sporting arena or a movie theater going to implement "strict physical distancing protocols"?  Are they gonna only sell every 4th seat?  

This dumb motherfucker and all you dumb motherfuckers who voted for this dumb motherfucker are idiots.  God dammit, man.

Going to 6 man football

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wanker Bob said:

Seasonal virus, slow down in summer for 1 main reason

Changing behavioral patterns. 

In summer there is no school so the main distribution method of cold and flu viruses is gone. People also tend to spend more time outdoors and less time couped up together indoors. 

There's only a very slight lessening of spread due to outdoor surfaces heating up enough to limit the virus viability on them much quicker. Otherwise it's mostly about not sending little snot factories to congregate with each other 8 hours a day. 

So you’re saying  it demonstrates seasonality? 

You think warmer, moister air and its effect on mucus membranes has nothing to do with it?  

5 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

You think warmer, moister air and its effect on mucus membranes has nothing to do with it?  

Well, it took a while, but welcome to ignore, you worthless troll.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, it took a while, but welcome to ignore, you worthless troll.

Lol. So my asserting that respiratory viruses are seasonal and thus Covid likely is as well was the last straw? At least pick some post where I’m wrong. 

Edited by GRHorn
  • Fuck You 1

37 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

And this will get buried under the next nefarious thing this moron does because it is never-ending with Dotard.

It's actually news with facts and everything. CNN and the other channels aren't through repeating themselves about covid show after show after show.

There are real stories to be mined here. The print media will likely do their jobs so the electronic media can quote them, but then on TV it gets fed into how this may impact the election. Crazy. Absolutely crazy.

23 minutes ago, elfenix said:

i don't expect sports to happen for the rest of the year.  at least, not with in person crowds. 

I don't know about that, assuming Shaka's still here in November. Folks at Horn basketball games seem to have been practicing social distancing and sheltering at home for some time now. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Glimmer of hope?

I am in no way qualified to give an educated opinion but the article seems encouraging.  I am excited to hear the results of the other studies and hope they produce similar results.  The only concern is that there is no placebo control group but it sounds like because the critical case outcomes are pretty well documented that you can infer that the drug is helping considering how fast results seem to happen.  Would love to hear the thoughts of the posters in the medical field.

38 minutes ago, elfenix said:

i don't expect sports to happen for the rest of the year.  at least, not with in person crowds. 

Maybe less time filled watching sports will be good for men. Maybe those that have them will look around at the room they call a man cave and see just how silly that is for the most part. Maybe those of us who don't have man caves (or poors. you could call us poors, I suppose), will maybe do other things. Watch other things. 

I can kill a whole day and evening watching college football, but I was secretly sort of glad when the Texans didn't draft Vince. I'd given up on the NFL when the Oilers left Houston. Jerry Jones and Barry Switzer pretty much closed the door on the Cowboys for me. I like not watching pro ball on Sundays unless there is absolutely nothing else to do.

I don't think deep thoughts or write poetry or anything notable. It's just that I think we should have a variety of ways to kill time and be entertained. I also am not crazy about how politics have taken on the feel of pro football rooting. The jersey is everything. Whoever wears the right jersey is okay with me!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Upgrayedd said:

Revenue opportunity to stream insults thru the PA from the comfort of your home.

Can't imagine the players/coaches reaction when they hear Greenspoint call "ballgame" after Texas gives up an opening drive TD. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Singapore has been in the upper 80s low 90s and just reported its biggest number of new cases in a single day, doubling its cases in one week.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-16/singapore-reports-record-728-new-covid-19-cases-none-imported?utm_source=twitter&cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_content=business&utm_medium=social

14 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

I am in no way qualified to give an educated opinion but the article seems encouraging.  I am excited to hear the results of the other studies and hope they produce similar results.  The only concern is that there is no placebo control group but it sounds like because the critical case outcomes are pretty well documented that you can infer that the drug is helping considering how fast results seem to happen.  Would love to hear the thoughts of the posters in the medical field.

I'm also curious if the new drug is new-new, or just a application like HCQ. I'm not a medical expert, but reading a few articles on the 63% overall improvement in symptoms in the people taking it is pretty encouraging. Glad to hear it's already got control group trials in the works too. 

If it is a new generally effective antiviral, that drug could be a big big deal

32 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Is there enough remdesivir to treat the whole planet? It’s my understanding it is very limited in its availability.

Not even enough to supply trials.  Also will cost about $1000/course.  Maybe less if widely prescribed, if the supply catches up.

53 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Not really. 

I'm saying with cold and flu viruses it's more a pattern of behavior than anything the actual temperature does to the virus or its ability to replicate inside the body. Of course those are much less deadly and lethal viruses that aren't the same as this one so gambling that this will behave the exact same way is kind of a stupid risk to take. Those are also viruses Americans have built up antibodies against over the years. This one we have no natural defense built up. 

Prepare like it won't be affected by temperature and be pleasantly surprised if it is. 

Edited by Wanker Bob

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I'm also curious if the new drug is new-new, or just a application like HCQ. I'm not a medical expert, but reading a few articles on the 63% overall improvement in symptoms in the people taking it is pretty encouraging. Glad to hear it's already got control group trials in the works too. 

My understanding is that the drug is not new and has been used to treat respiratory illness for some time.  It was apparently identified early on as a potential treatment and it sounds like we are stating to get results?

19 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

I’d say only 2 out of 113 with “severe illness” dying is likely a positive, although they didn’t say how it was quantified. Also no patients staying longer than 6 days is very promising and different than what has been seen. 

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

It's about five years old.  Still experimental.  Developed to combat Ebola and Marburg and no human trials for fairly obvious reasons.  Inhibits replication of the virus using an RNA analog.

• Like 1

See, they need more of a dry heat. Say, like Arizona.

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

How exactly is a sporting arena or a movie theater going to implement "strict physical distancing protocols"?  Are they gonna only sell every 4th seat?  

This dumb motherfucker and all you dumb motherfuckers who voted for this dumb motherfucker are idiots.  God dammit, man.

Texas DB's practiced social distancing all last fall. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 4/15/2020 at 2:46 PM, Upgrayedd said:

I really want to give these morons and the political party they support their own country. They can make Trump Shah for life and have 100% Republican governance. No tax dollars from blue states.  They could make it like a reality show in which somebody loses their benefits at the end of each 60 minute program. We can all laugh as it falls apart within a year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Re: saving lives vs the economy. 

The numbers in a lot of states, including Texas, do not justify the widespread restrictions that are still in place imo. They were justified initially, but now with weather warming and it being clear that estimates overshot the mark pretty badly, it’s time to open things up. Whether it’s a process or not, it needs to happen. 

Open non essential businesses. Encourage continued mask wearing and social distancing in public. Probably keep schools closed. If outbreak flares up immediately then have to walk things back, but it’s unlikely. 

Over the summer, do as much work as possible on antibody testing, corona testing, ppe production. Investigate all therapeutic possibilities. 

Where the rubber will meet the road is when cases start popping back up in the fall. How will we handle shutting things back down if the numbers are high? Hopefully it will be more nuanced when we have more data. And honestly it will need to be. After how far off the big models have been, a lot of people will be questioning any warnings the next time around. And rightly so, if you think about it.

Gonna be a tougher sell. Hope we’re better prepared. 

Although I realize in the trump world you live in scientists and experts are just eggheads, I think I will choose to listen to them instead of random trump supporters on the net and the worst human being to ever live we call the president.

Someone way upthread posted this, the most detailed, comprehensive, and well-sourced timeline with a warning that it'd make your blood boil that I've seen. He was right.

The incompetence is staggering.

https://www.justsecurity.org/69650/timeline-of-the-coronavirus-pandemic-and-u-s-response/

Side note: Got an excited call from my Trumpist mom after he came out with his three-point PowerPoint plan, asking about when we were going to open things up. I think she was hoping she could start going back to church or playing canasta with her friends tomorrow.

It was heartbreaking to tell her "Hell no! Stay home, mom" and infuriating that she and my dad remain so misinformed about everything because of their devotion to Trump and Fox Fucking News.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, bolverk said:

Someone way upthread posted this, the most detailed, comprehensive, and well-sourced timeline with a warning that it'd make your blood boil that I've seen. He was right.

https://www.justsecurity.org/69650/timeline-of-the-coronavirus-pandemic-and-u-s-response/

Side note: Got an excited call from my Trumpist mom after he came out with his three-point PowerPoint plan, asking about when we were going to open things up. I think she was hoping she could start going back to church or playing canasta with her friends tomorrow.

It was heartbreaking to tell her "Hell no! Stay home, mom" and infuriating that she and my dad remain so misinformed about everything because of their devotion to Trump and Fox Fucking News.

Send them this article.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/16/world/coronavirus-response-lessons-learned-intl/index.html

The richest nation in the history of the world killed thousands and ruined its own economy because an incompetent moron was the president.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Send them this article.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/16/world/coronavirus-response-lessons-learned-intl/index.html

The richest nation in the history of the world killed thousands and ruined its own economy because an incompetent moron was the president.

Trumptards ain't gonna read no CNN. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Send them this article.

They don't do email. He's 82 and she's 78. I would have to literally copy/paste any info into a Word doc, omit reference to the source being from CNN or any other non-Fox media outlet, print it out, and the snail-mail it across the state to them. And, unfortunately, I think there's been enough cognitive decline that it would be too much for them to absorb nowadays.

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

Maybe less time filled watching sports will be good for men. Maybe those that have them will look around at the room they call a man cave and see just how silly that is for the most part. Maybe those of us who don't have man caves (or poors. you could call us poors, I suppose), will maybe do other things. Watch other things. 

I can kill a whole day and evening watching college football, but I was secretly sort of glad when the Texans didn't draft Vince. I'd given up on the NFL when the Oilers left Houston. Jerry Jones and Barry Switzer pretty much closed the door on the Cowboys for me. I like not watching pro ball on Sundays unless there is absolutely nothing else to do.

I don't think deep thoughts or write poetry or anything notable. It's just that I think we should have a variety of ways to kill time and be entertained. I also am not crazy about how politics have taken on the feel of pro football rooting. The jersey is everything. Whoever wears the right jersey is okay with me!

Agree wholeheartedly. By my estimate, we (as Americans or maybe just humans) painfully lack mindfulness. Little awareness, perspective, or appreciation of the wonderful and simple things around us at any given moment. To the extent it breaks us out of our myopic selfish cocoons and notwithstanding the suffering, change can be a good thing it you can embrace rather than fight it. We had opportunities for reflection after 9/11 and largely squandered those. Here's to hoping for change for the better.

Edited by Degenerate Gardner
  • Like 8

40 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Gee, I just said something like this to GRHorn about the stupidity of blaming the WHO over holding the WH responsible...

The Pentagon’s National Center for Medical Intelligence (NCMI) circulates a report identifying a contagion sweeping through Wuhan, China. NCMI bases its report on wire intercepts, computer intercepts, and satellite images. “Analysts concluded it could be a cataclysmic event,” a source tells ABC News (in April 2020).

Intelligence community bulletins begin circulating across the government around Thanksgiving. “Those analyses said China’s leadership knew the epidemic was out of control even as it kept such crucial information from foreign governments and public health agencies,” ABC News reports.

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Fucking scary of how much they underfunded or took away money from CDC 

but hey they closed travel to China 

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Good summary. Makes me both despondent and pissed off. The test production failures and the bizarre refusal to use the DPA have no possible rational excuse. 

I didn't know that Kushner said the federal stockpile wasnt for the states to use. WTF? So it's all for federal employees, D.C. or what? 

Edited by Hookah Horns