CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The Republican party repeatedly expressing the need to make human sacrifices to appease The Economy is some truly dark shit.  What fucking year is it?

stolen : we've reached the point where the cult leaders are asking their followers if they're ready to die for the cause 

Just now, wildcat09 said:

The Republican party repeatedly expressing the need to make human sacrifices to appease The Economy is some truly dark shit.  What fucking year is it?

Definitely not the year that they declared war to maintain life support for a woman with a brain that had shriveled to half its size, with no hope of recovery (Terri Shiavo).  Remember, the GOP is not a pro-life party in any sense of the word.  They are pro-money, and pro-power, and that's it.  Anything else they try to claim is just a trojan horse for those two pillars.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Definitely not the year that they declared war to maintain life support for a woman with a brain that had shriveled to half its size, with no hope of recovery (Terri Shiavo).  Remember, the GOP is not a pro-life party in any sense of the word.  They are pro-money, and pro-power, and that's it.  Anything else they try to claim is just a trojan horse for those two pillars.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

let’s add that schools are the least likely to obey social-distancing guidelines if/when opened back up. we’re really gonna trust 6-14 year olds to stay 6 feet apart from each other after being cooped up for weeks?

I saw an article about day care and preschool groups for children of first responders, medical personnel, etc.  Some of these people have no choice -- they have to do something with their kids in order to serve the public.  The most obvious quesiton:  "how do you keep kids 6 feet apart?"  Ugh.

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

man I'm getting the grimm outlook on the medical coding industry for 2020 now that CMS has halted Audits til next year.. meanwhile it's business as usual for the outsourced Indian companies who are coding charts.. Why do we even have HIPAA for?

32 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Mrs. MO is a supervisor for a medical billing company. We are both working from home and she has been ranting about this as well. 

Can you guys elaborate on this when you get a chance? Explain it to me like I'm five because I have no idea what this means.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

let’s add that schools are the least likely to obey social-distancing guidelines if/when opened back up. we’re really gonna trust 6-14 year olds to stay 6 feet apart from each other after being cooped up for weeks?

Only if schools institute permanent middle school dances.

• Like 1

Re: saving lives vs the economy. 

The numbers in a lot of states, including Texas, do not justify the widespread restrictions that are still in place imo. They were justified initially, but now with weather warming and it being clear that estimates overshot the mark pretty badly, it’s time to open things up. Whether it’s a process or not, it needs to happen. 

Open non essential businesses. Encourage continued mask wearing and social distancing in public. Probably keep schools closed. If outbreak flares up immediately then have to walk things back, but it’s unlikely. 

Over the summer, do as much work as possible on antibody testing, corona testing, ppe production. Investigate all therapeutic possibilities. 

Where the rubber will meet the road is when cases start popping back up in the fall. How will we handle shutting things back down if the numbers are high? Hopefully it will be more nuanced when we have more data. And honestly it will need to be. After how far off the big models have been, a lot of people will be questioning any warnings the next time around. And rightly so, if you think about it.

Gonna be a tougher sell. Hope we’re better prepared. 

• Fuck You 3

5 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

The numbers in a lot of states, including Texas, do not justify the widespread restrictions that are still in place imo. They were justified initially, but now with weather warming and it being clear that estimates overshot the mark pretty badly, it’s time to open things up. Whether it’s a process or not, it needs to happen. 

Open non essential businesses. Encourage continued mask wearing and social distancing in public. Probably keep schools closed. If outbreak flares up immediately then have to walk things back, but it’s unlikely. 

Over the summer, do as much work as possible on antibody testing, corona testing, ppe production. Investigate all therapeutic possibilities. 

Where the rubber will meet the road is when cases start popping back up in the fall. How will we handle shutting things back down if the numbers are high? Hopefully it will be more nuanced when we have more data. And honestly it will need to be. After how far off the big models have been, a lot of people will be questioning any warnings the next time around. And rightly so, if you think about it.

The only way this can really work effectively is to have robust testing, legitimate contact tracing, and a plan of action ready to be followed to a T if cases begin to spike.  Given that is what is likely needed, i don't like our chances of effectively instituting a plan that will be effective. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

The weather doesn't have shit to do with this man, I don't know why y'all keep saying it does.  If it did then those summer time countries wouldn't have been seeing this spread as well.  Remember, the very first celebrity most of us heard about getting this was Tom Hanks, and that fucker was down in Australia.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Show your work on this one.  Prove to my pregnant wife and mother-in-law with a liver transplant that faulty estimates, and not the unprecedented social distancing, are the reason the death toll is not yet as high as scientists initially warned.  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, dlatin said:

The only way this can really work effectively is to have robust testing, legitimate contact tracing, and a plan of action ready to be followed to a T if cases begin to spike.  Given that is what is likely needed, i don't like our chances of effectively instituting a plan that will be effective. 

Our earliest opportunity to treat this whole thing sanely to wipe it out in the US is not going to happen until January of 2021 at the earliest and that will depend on the election in November.  We are not going to get robust testing with the current administration.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

They don't really care about the economy either.  They only care about the NYSE and Fed. interest rates and ducking taxes.  They didn't give a shit when kids were mass murdered.  They don't give a shit about anything that doesn't directly benefit them.  If you cannot be turned into a profit via your labor or your needs, then fuck right on off.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

How does anybody this stupid function day to day?  Seriously, this shit isn't complicated. Children can understand communicable diseases. If you can't even grasp a basic understanding of why this shit is so stupid, I'm amazed that you've managed to not accidentally kill yourself while like, mowing the lawn.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

How does anybody this stupid function day to day?  Seriously, this shit isn't complicated. Children can understand communicable diseases. If you can't even grasp a basic understanding of why this shit is so stupid, I'm amazed that you've managed to not accidentally kill yourself while like, mowing the lawn.

I was going to write something similar, but would have gotten bogged down on refuting all the BS in that post.

20 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

The numbers in a lot of states, including Texas, do not justify the widespread restrictions that are still in place imo. They were justified initially, but now with weather warming and it being clear that estimates overshot the mark pretty badly, it’s time to open things up.

Jesus.  You can't be serious.  #mcenroe

1.  the weather has nothing to do with it

2.  the "estimates" were based on the assumption that WE DID NOTHING.  Even WITH all of the self-isolation experts believe we're still 2 weeks away from the peak in Texas.

It is highly likely that there are going to be a lot more people infected in Texas by May 1, along with a lot more fatalities.  Reversing policy at this point would be absolute lunacy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

The weather doesn't have shit to do with this man, I don't know why y'all keep saying it does.  If it did then those summer time countries wouldn't have been seeing this spread as well.  Remember, the very first celebrity most of us heard about getting this was Tom Hanks, and that fucker was down in Australia.

Why are you engaging Comrade GR(U)horn (DSA)?  His job is to distribute misinformation and hope more Americans die.  He are still pissed off their backwater shithole country got demolished by the Germans and the Soviets were only good at being bullet catchers until the Americans had to save their asses again.  They couldn't even design their own tanks, they ha to take an American's design and we still had to send them equipment.    They recently reached down their pants found two jellly beans and thought they were balls and sent 500 soldiers with armored support against 30 small arms Americans and got fucking destroyed.   Over 10:1 advantage and they still lost.   The best part of Russia came from their German fathers, but even they managed to fuck that up. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Why are you engaging Comrade GR(U)horn (DSA)?  His job is to distribute misinformation and hope more Americans die.  He are still pissed off their backwater shithole country got demolished by the Germans and the Soviets were only good at being bullet catchers until the Americans had to save their asses again.  They couldn't even design their own tanks, they ha to take an American's design and we still had to send them equipment.    They recently reached down their pants found two jellly beans and thought they were balls and sent 500 soldiers with armored support against 30 small arms Americans and got fucking destroyed.   Over 10:1 advantage and they still lost.   The best part of Russia came from their German fathers, but even they managed to fuck that up. 

It's not him I'm engaging really, it's, all those well meaning people who might otherwise believe a lie because they didn't stop to think that it could be a lie.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

If only.  It would be one less person that I already have on ignore.  He is a troll or one of the dumbest human beings I have encountered and I have encountered a shit ton of dumb asses.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

3% is 10mm people. wtf is he on about?

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

stolen : we've reached the point where the cult leaders are asking their followers if they're ready to die for the cause 

Mammon hungers and must be fed

2 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Some one mentioned these dipshits that created gridlock yesterday. Basically all these groups that do not find it enough to protest since they can be easily be ignored have to make folks life's miserable and achieve no more than feeling good about screwing with others. So I went out looking for 2003 war protesters, black lives matter and tea party folks images. I found this photo:

48397282_303.jpg

I wonder how these folks are feeling now that mother earth has taken care of pollution levels itself.

i think i know what you mean but not sure how humans shutting down some crazy high, never-going-to-happen-again percentage of pollution is "mother earth [taking care] of pollution levels ITSELF"

33 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Here's the deal for me:

• It seems strange to me that the success of social distancing and shelter in place leads some people to conclude that it must be ended.
  • It is absurd to me that persons who denied the disease, promised it wouldn't get beyond 15 cases, and are even now resisting testing and supplying medical needs of hospitals, are now to be trusted with this decision.
  • I do not rule out judicious return to the work place for some workers based on specific, professional assessment of the danger.
  • I dismiss someone pointing to the success of a strategy as reason to abandon that strategy.

Your presentation is a perfect representation of the kind of simplistic thinking that gets lots of people killed. Without looking deeper into why the numbers are the way they are (why is the prediction low? Is the prediction low in light of new information about people dying in their homes and other deaths that are not included yet in the statistics?) and accepting the notion of warming weather definitely making everybody safe, you reach a conclusion wholly devoid of foundation.

Conventional wisdome doesn't cut it.

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

The numbers in a lot of states, including Texas, do not justify the widespread restrictions that are still in place imo. They were justified initially, but now with weather warming and it being clear that estimates overshot the mark pretty badly, it’s time to open things up.

The amount of idiocy in this paragraph is nearly impossible to comprehend.

This guy is a doctor?

3 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

It’s a month of minimum wage ($7.25 for 40 hours a week for 4 weeks) but people are supposed to stretch it for 2.5 months?

“Absolutely.  It’s not the government’s job to pay people to not work.   I had all my money handed to me, so people should listen to me.”

- @Johnny Sack

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Jesus.  You can't be serious.  #mcenroe

1.  the weather has nothing to do with it

2.  the "estimates" were based on the assumption that WE DID NOTHING.  Even WITH all of the self-isolation experts believe we're still 2 weeks away from the peak in Texas.

It is highly likely that there are going to be a lot more people infected in Texas by May 1, along with a lot more fatalities.  Reversing policy at this point would be absolute lunacy.

Did I miss a study that showed it wasn’t affected by seasonal patterns? I’m working off the assumption that it will behave in the same way as the other Coronaviruses. Of course it’s not an absolute. That’s also why I said it could be walked back if it proves to be wrong. 

The most cited model as of yesterday had overestimated hospital beds needed by 25%.  And that’s after it coming down hugely over the course of the pandemic. I understand that models are changed based on their assumptions and inputs, but hey have missed to the high side for sure.  

• Fuck You 2

44 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Show your work on this one.  Prove to my pregnant wife and mother-in-law with a liver transplant that faulty estimates, and not the unprecedented social distancing, are the reason the death toll is not yet as high as scientists initially warned.  

They need to stay home anyway. They wouldn’t be in the category of resumption of activities. 

14 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Here's the deal for me:

• It seems strange to me that the success of social distancing and shelter in place leads some people to conclude that it must be ended.
  • It is absurd to me that persons who denied the disease, promised it wouldn't get beyond 15 cases, and are even now resisting testing and supplying medical needs of hospitals, are now to be trusted with this decision.
  • I do not rule out judicious return to the work place for some workers based on specific, professional assessment of the danger.
  • I dismiss someone pointing to the success of a strategy as reason to abandon that strategy.

Your presentation is a perfect representation of the kind of simplistic thinking that gets lots of people killed. Without looking deeper into why the numbers are the way they are (why is the prediction low? Is the prediction low in light of new information about people dying in their homes and other deaths that are not included yet in the statistics?) and accepting the notion of warming weather definitely making everybody safe, you reach a conclusion wholly devoid of foundation.

Conventional wisdome doesn't cut it.

11 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

This guy is a doctor?

I didn’t say open up back like before. It can and will be done in phases. And with people wearing masks and distancing in public still. 

I think Abbott will support some kind of loosening of conditions on May 1st and id support it 

Just now, GRHorn said:

They need to stay home anyway. They wouldn’t be in the category of resumption of activities. 

Without opening schools we're not going back to work.  Very few local leaders are dumb enough to open schools right now (or anytime soon).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

How many wars were fought, how much money spent, freedoms given up, to "prevent another 9/11"? Because they're basically saying they are OK with a daily 9/11.

“Another 9/11” to them means an attack on the financial sector. They could give a shit about 60 extra random deaths a day per state. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Okay, but what about me?  Am I just supposed to not see them once my work opens back up?  

This is the stupidity of trying to force a reopening.  People will not resume life activities until they feel safe, no matter what the government says.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

This guy is a doctor?

He refuses to post his long form diploma for the board to review.

So the only logical explanation is that he's lying and probably a Muslim.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Did I miss a study that showed it wasn’t affected by seasonal patterns? I’m working off the assumption that it will behave in the same way as the other Coronaviruses. Of course it’s not an absolute. That’s also why I said it could be walked back if it proves to be wrong. 

The most cited model as of yesterday had overestimated hospital beds needed by 25%.  And that’s after it coming down hugely over the course of the pandemic. I understand that models are changed based on their assumptions and inputs, but hey have missed to the high side for sure.  

Because the high side assumed no action taken, you nitwit.