Kyler Murray - The Savior or Satan of OU Football

closetojumping

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

http://texashsfootball.com/roundtable-discussion-best-texas-high-school-football-player-time/

Nobody has HS football tradition like Texas.  Not surprisingly nobody on this list matriculated from aggy. 

I think it depends on if you are looking at body of work or peak.

For example, I think if you take all 4 years it's obviously Kyler. If you look at their absolute peaks then a guy like Vince enters the discussion because it was a grown man playing against children by that point.

To each their own. Hard debate to have because of the difference in rosters and competition varies so much in high school. Every team Kyler played on was ludicrously stacked. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I think it depends on if you are looking at body of work or peak.

For example, I think if you take all 4 years it's obviously Kyler. If you look at their absolute peaks then a guy like Vince enters the discussion because it was a grown man playing against children by that point.

To each their own. Hard debate to have because of the difference in rosters and competition varies so much in high school. Every team Kyler played on was ludicrously stacked. 

Agree, my post was not an endorsement of Kyler over VY...just that both are right there in the discussion. 

After looking at his HS highlights I'm amazed he wasn't a turnover machine his whole life.  How in the hell he didn't fumble or get the ball knocked out continually is a miracle.  I wonder if any of his coaches ever freaked out over the way he carried the ball like a loaf of bread?

27 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Stolen from DirtBurglars:

Since Kyler's been about 4 years old, the only thing that's really ever stopped him, is putting on a Texas A&M jersey.

That is wicked.

What amazes me is how he's able to avoid getting viciously tackled, to the point of injury. 

3 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

That is wicked.

What amazes me is how he's able to avoid getting viciously tackled, to the point of injury. 

That's why he's a dumbass for playing football. It only takes one hit. He has avoided injury (thus far) but has at least one more game against some pretty bad ass defensive players. He should have spent this past summer/fall playing baseball, developing and devoting himself to becoming a big leaguer, where his earning potential is fucking enormous.

I'm not rooting for the kid to get hurt, even if he seems like a complete douchebag (I mean - he selected aggy and OU; for Christ sake, what the fuck is wrong with him??); the best way to not get hurt is to not fucking play football. 

11 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

That is wicked.

The play at 9:32 is what makes him so good. 3rd and 5. Texas brings big inside pressure. OU oline wiffs on the bliz but Kyler keeps his head up. He literally side steps a would be sack like it’s nothing and finds the hole in the zone with orange in his face. He’s incredible. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 4

5 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

That's why he's a dumbass for playing football. It only takes one hit. He has avoided injury (thus far) but has at least one more game against some pretty bad ass defensive players. He should have spent this past summer/fall playing baseball, developing and devoting himself to becoming a big leaguer, where his earning potential is fucking enormous.

I'm not rooting for the kid to get hurt, even if he seems like a complete douchebag (I mean - he selected aggy and OU; for Christ sake, what the fuck is wrong with him??); the best way to not get hurt is to not fucking play football. 

What I have picked up from his statements about it is that he just didn’t want to end his football career on that year at A&M. 

A guy that is used to dominating and being the best on the field wanted to prove that he could do it at this level. I respect that. Wish he’d prove it one more year too. 

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

http://texashsfootball.com/roundtable-discussion-best-texas-high-school-football-player-time/

Nobody has HS football tradition like Texas.  Not surprisingly nobody on this list matriculated from aggy. 

Hmmm, list seems to be missing a few names:  Earl Campbell, Eric Dickerson, Tommy Nobis come to mind.

10 minutes ago, Constant said:

What I have picked up from his statements about it is that he just didn’t want to end his football career on that year at A&M. 

A guy that is used to dominating and being the best on the field wanted to prove that he could do it at this level. I respect that. Wish he’d prove it one more year too. 

Ballers ball. Douchers douche. He's got it all. :) 

4 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

After looking at his HS highlights I'm amazed he wasn't a turnover machine his whole life.  How in the hell he didn't fumble or get the ball knocked out continually is a miracle.  I wonder if any of his coaches ever freaked out over the way he carried the ball like a loaf of bread?

“Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless”. -Kenny Powers

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Well... I mean, he's about to win the Heisman, so...

On 12/1/2018 at 11:50 PM, Constant said:

Kyler leads Tua in most statistical categories when comparing quarters 1-3 only, too. 

But Tua, hasn't played in the 4th qtr, had the playing time been equal Tua eclipses Kyler in all the stats but maybe rushing and number of times being spotted underneath a bridge.  

7 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

QBU

And lol at anyone thinking because someone struggled at sheep fucking station, they’ll shit the bed at OU.  

There are probably 3 other schools that could lay a better claim to that title with one, that hasn't been relevant for almost a decade.  

5 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

That is wicked.

Wait, till he plays that Alabama defense.  He's seen nothing as fast and physical this season as that BAMA D.  

5 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

When you are a 4.3 running waterbug with zero hit radius and who slides if you get within 5 yards of him, you can get away with being a little loose with the ball security. He is the fastest and quickest little shit I have ever seen at the QB position. He has a truly incredible skill set.

Just now, Vertigo said:

When you are a 4.3 running waterbug with zero hit radius and who slides if you get within 5 yards of him, you can get away with being a little loose with the ball security. He is the fastest and quickest little shit I have ever seen at the QB position. He has a truly incredible skill set.

Michael Vick says hi.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

There was this guy that played at Texas a few years back that was lightning quick that had some pretty questionable ball security at times. He wasn't straight line as fast as Murray or Vick but was better at switching directions and changing lanes.

Shit, his name is escaping me. Someone help me out here. 

Edited by ztejas
regarded

11 minutes ago, MacLaren said:

Wait, till he plays that Alabama defense.  He's seen nothing as fast and physical this season as that BAMA D.  

Yeah Trevor Knight played that D with as many first rounders on it few years ago.   Really scared him.  Lol

Edited by ChiTownDoc

15 minutes ago, MacLaren said:

How many years are we going to do this? Same was said when Texas played Bama in 2009. No doubt Colt was going to move up and down the field on that defense. Hell Gilbert almost beat them. Same was said when OU played Bama in 2012. OU crushed them with Trevor Knight. Manziel went up and down the field both his years at Aggy. Watson torched that defense both times in the national title games. Bama's defense looks great when they plays antiquated SEC offenses who have very little spread or down the field ability. Saban and Bama struggle against offenses like OU. They always have. Those defenses are geared to stop close to the vest offenses.

• Like 1

Um. Let's turn the hyperbole down here a little bit. 

Bama has had some absolutely disgusting defenses. I don't think this year is one of them - even though they probably have the best offense in their program's history. 

2016, 2017, 2018 they laid the wood in the semifinals and the most points they gave up in each title game was 40 and 35 respectively to Deshaun Watson - who is one of the best college QBs ever that was playing on absolutely stacked Clemson teams. 

Look at their schedule in 2011. They fucking mud-holed everyone they played. 

We can talk about dynamic QBs finding success against them in certain years, but acting like Bama's defense is overrated or some shit is ridiculous. 

Edited by ztejas

I just watched as much of the highlights as I could stomach.  KM is a smaller-scale version of VY, except that he hasn't proven he can put his team on his back on the national stage.  VY had three ridiculously crazy good performances on the national stage that I don't see KM performing up to: 

Rose Bowl I against Michigan

At Ohio State 

Rose Bowl II against USC

I cannot imagine KM ever approaching these two numbers in the same game,  267 and 200.  I don't care that defenses are softer than they were 13 years ago.  If KM can put up those kind of numbers, in one game -  in the next game or two, he could/should consider sticking to football. 

I would imagine at some point he will take a hard hit against 'bama.  It might be his first and last.   In those highlights I saw a player hit the ground faster than I have ever seen.  Were he to hit  the ground that  fast  against 'bama and a 'bama defender land on him that be all she wrote.  

For this one time:  Roll Tide!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

I just watched as much of the highlights as I could stomach.  KM is a smaller-scale version of VY, except that he hasn't proven he can put his team on his back on the national stage.  VY had three ridiculously crazy good performances on the national stage that I don't see KM performing up to: 

Rose Bowl I against Michigan

At Ohio State 

Rose Bowl II against USC

I cannot imagine KM ever approaching these two numbers in the same game,  267 and 200.  I don't care that defenses are softer than they were 13 years ago.  If KM can put up those kind of numbers, in one game -  in the next game or two, he could/should consider sticking to football. 

I would imagine at some point he will take a hard hit against 'bama.  It might be his first and last.   In those highlights I saw a player hit the ground faster than I have ever seen.  Were he to hit  the ground that  fast  against 'bama and a 'bama defender land on him that be all she wrote.  

For this one time:  Roll Tide!

You can throw the monkey off UT's back 2005 Cotton Bowl where we ended a 5 game OU winning streak by halftime in there as well.

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Bama has had some absolutely disgusting defenses. I don't think this year is one of them - even though they probably have the best offense in their program's history. 

2016, 2017, 2018 they laid the wood in the semifinals and the most points they gave up in each title game was 40 and 35 respectively to Deshaun Watson - who is one of the best college QBs ever that was playing on absolutely stacked Clemson teams. 

We can talk about dynamic QBs finding success against them in certain years, but acting like Bama's defense is overrated or some shit is ridiculous. 

So yeah, nothing what you said in all of this refuted anything I said. Lulz.

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

So yeah, nothing what you said in all of this refuted anything I said. Lulz.

You laid it on a little too thick. Not disagreeing that when their D has struggled it has been because of dynamic passing attacks - but acting like the only teams they have crushed over the past decade have been "antiquated SEC offenses" is a little ridiculous. 

30 minutes ago, ztejas said:

There was this guy that played at Texas a few years back that was lightning quick that had some pretty questionable ball security at times. He wasn't straight line as fast as Murray or Vick but was better at switching directions and changing lanes.

Shit, his name is escaping me. Someone help me out here. 

John Chiles?

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I think it’s only overrated bc they’re the fucking ‘85 Bears every time we’re discussing them.  Ditka would take a shit on any Bama D.  

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

I think it’s only overrated bc they’re the fucking ‘85 Bears every time we’re discussing them.  Ditka would take a shit on any Bama D.  

But there's good reason for the hyperbole, have you seen the talent and depth on that defense?  It's like the jaws of a shark, how it replaces its missing teeth.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1