Kyler Murray - The Savior or Satan of OU Football

closetojumping

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

He will stumble at some point. It's like y'all don't remember how they choke in critical games. 

I hope you're right, but this year feels different.  I watched the UCLA game with an OU friend and the defense looked much better than the past.  I wonder if Mikey might be losing some power.  I also think Stoops was tired in his later years and that Reilly's youth and ambition will overcome "Medium Game Bob's" shortcomings.  I can guaran-damn-tee you that OSU won't put up much of a fight this year.  We literally could not stop them even once last year, and our offense was the only reason we had a chance.  Our offense is not going to score 50+ in conference play this year.  We're fucked in Bedlam for sure.

Edited by 'stache

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, this said:

Texas: Hold my beer...

Sigh.  Yep...

Recruiting is also changing.  In this age of hyper-information and coverage of most games, players don't need to always go to the "big" schools to get visibility.  There's film on virtually everyone.  So you have top players choosing schools like Houston (Oliver) and TCU over bigger state schools.  And NFL scouts are turning over every rock out there.  If you have the measurables, chances are they'll find you. 

key to ou's success is not 1, it is 5.  dude is such a playmaker.  however, with anderson out for the year, their success is going to hinge on his replacement because 5 can't carry you by himself...to small and too based on speed.  he thrives when defenses get overly-concerned about running game and start cheating up...then he blows by everyone.

the good news for ou is their schedule is absolute shit this year.  at wv and maybe at tcu are only real games.  but if they have to play bama, georgia, or ohio state, i think they will have a real problem moving the ball without anderson unless riley can get really creative.  fau and ucla are both shit-tastic teams so very hard to read in too much.

4 minutes ago, sidis said:

key to ou's success is not 1, it is 5.  dude is such a playmaker.  however, with anderson out for the year, their success is going to hinge on his replacement because 5 can't carry you by himself...to small and too based on speed.  he thrives when defenses get overly-concerned about running game and start cheating up...then he blows by everyone.

the good news for ou is their schedule is absolute shit this year.  at wv and maybe at tcu are only real games.  but if they have to play bama, georgia, or ohio state, i think they will have a real problem moving the ball without anderson unless riley can get really creative.  fau and ucla are both shit-tastic teams so very hard to read in too much.

Lamb doesn't have the speed of Brown but he's every bit as capable as a receiver. You can't double team both of them. OU just has a bunch of weapons.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sidis said:

That's the biggest concern  most would have, can the running game be effective for OU against another CFP foe as Clemson/ Georgia, (& in the XII,Texas as well)...

49 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

These things are quite cyclical, at some point Texas will be in position as was in the early/ mid 2000's under Mack Brown... Too much talent in Texas not to be the case...

Is it?  How often has OU been down in the last 15-20 years?  It's maddening since we should be peers in the college landscape but we aren't.  

23 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Is it?  How often has OU been down in the last 15-20 years?  It's maddening since we should be peers in the college landscape but we aren't.  

How often have they been down in the last 50 years?  Really only from 92-99.   

Meanwhile, we have had 11 seasons with 6 wins or less wins since 1985.  The national media loves to criticize the Texas fanbase as entitled, but no fanbase of an "elite" program has had to deal with more awful seasons than Texas over the last 35 years.  It's ridiculous.  Many of the elite programs also only experienced one prolonged shitfest or their shit seasons were complete outliers.  Texas has only avoided shit during the Mack Brown era.  86, 88, 89, 91, 92, 93, 97, 10, 14, 15, 16.  All complete shit shows.  

Seasons with 6 wins or less since 1985

Texas 11

Notre Dame 9

LSU 8

Tennessee 8

Georgia 7

USC 7

aggy 6

Auburn 6

Oklahoma 6

Penn State 5

Alabama 5

Miami 4

Florida 4

Ohio State 4

Nebraska 4

Michigan 3

Florida State 2

1 hour ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Good question. I looked into it and obviously their last two decades have been pretty successful so I delved a bit deeper.

They've had 5 sub 50% seasons since 1942. 

Texas however has had 5 since 1991. 3 in the last ten.

But what surprised me is this stat: 

OU has had 34(out of 67) ten or more win seasons since 1950. That's roughly half the fucking time, its ridiculous how successful they've been. So any given year they should more likely expect to have an amazing season and a run for national championship than to have a rebuilding year regardless of the coach. 

Texas has had 21 ten win seasons since 1950.

54 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

How many coaching, AD, and University President changes have they had?

We have an organizational issue. A fish rots from the head down.

Hopefully that’s getting sorted out.

I said this in one of the Herman threads. There is more wrong with this program than just the head coaches and playcalling. 

1 hour ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Since WW2, Oklahoma has had 2 "dry spells", in the 1960's & 1990's, overall OU has had 5 losing seasons (less wins than losses), in total  since 1943... 

12 hours ago, Greg Focker said:

Where in my post was I trying to give him the Heisman? Surely you're not exaggerating!  All I said about him was that he's completed 27 of his last 32 passes and I guess somehow to you that's the same thing as anointing a Heisman upon a guy.

Fuck you, Focker.

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Harsh but fair.  Discipline.... the cornerstone of OU football.

If true, I'm actually surprised it's that much.  I thought being late to a meeting would get you a couple extra sprints or something.  You can't  really blame him though,  he has a couple million in the bank, he don't give 2 shits.

13 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

If true, I'm actually surprised it's that much.  I thought being late to a meeting would get you a couple extra sprints or something.  You can't  really blame him though,  he has a couple million in the bank, he don't give 2 shits.

Exactly. I’m guessing if it’s not a injury, or some legal issue. Then they basically agreeed to give the bull pin a go just to get some solid reps. Riley simply told him that it doesn’t matter if he starts against Baylor. he has a crack at the Heisman by beating Texas, WV, etc. no one will remember the Baylor game if he is successful against the stronger teams.

Not to mention every fucking body is aware of what is going on at Clemson and Bama. I believe the days of a kid sitting down if he feels he has the It, are over. Especially if Clemson loses today. That will be a huge story line. The future kids will finally have actual leverage.

Anybody get a look at Murray's penalty after his INT? It looked like he tried to end Gary Johnson's career. Tried to torpedo himself right into Gary's knee, no attempt to actually tackle Jones. Just threw the INT and seemingly sought out Johnson to try and wreck his knee.

1 minute ago, pacman said:

Anybody get a look at Murray's penalty after his INT? It looked like he tried to end Gary Johnson's career. Tried to torpedo himself right into Gary's knee, no attempt to actually tackle Jones. Just threw the INT and seemingly sought out Johnson to try and wreck his knee.

I remember the penalty but I wasn't watching with sound on so didn't hear an explanation. Or see a replay. If so, fuck this piece of shit.