Kyler Murray - The Savior or Satan of OU Football

closetojumping

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Who was the professional skier that played WR for Colorado?  Was his trouble endorsements?

His issue was endorsements, which is the primary way skiers make money.

NCAA views a salary from a sports club different.

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

fify

And, no.  Different sport.

Ricky was under contract with the Phillies organization while he was at Texas.

Lol.  That true?  Trying to imagine him barreling towards home with the catcher literally shitting his pants.  

4 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

fify

And, no.  Different sport.

Ricky was under contract with the Phillies organization while he was at Texas.

Don’t tell that to Texags. They were all convinced it was “Sip” Hicks paying Ricky off through the Rangers that got Ricky to return for the 1998 season.  Never mind the timeline. 

15 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

So he gets the money immediately?  Doesn't that effect his amateur status for playing collegiate sports?

No.  Pretty sure Ricky Williams was playing pro ball and football at Texas at the same time.

7 hours ago, 66BUFF said:

No.  Pretty sure Ricky Williams was playing pro ball and football at Texas at the same time.

Not at the same time.  He played football in the falls and minor league baseball in the summers.

36 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

How much of that  $5M goes away if he gets injured?

None. It’s a signing bonus. 

The A’s are stupid for letting him play because he might get hurt. 

OU is stupid for letting him play because he’s only a one year QB and he will be trying not to get hurt 

If true, I'm sure the A's are hedging the $$ with insurance but just a ridiculous unnecessary risk of a draft pick.  Makes zero sense why they wouldn't demand that he focus 100% on baseball with that kind of investment.  More power to him if he was actually able to dictate those terms but just stupid on the A's part.

• Like 1

I really hope he plays. If he actually does and this isn’t a negotiation tactic, they will have a lame duck almost rookie with very little experience. When he struggles, which he will, the pressure to bench him and give their “future” qbs snaps will be huge. If he gets benched, he quits pretty much immediately. Great potential of an embarrassing circus. I like.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Skipper said:

If true, I'm sure the A's are hedging the $$ with insurance but just a ridiculous unnecessary risk of a draft pick.  Makes zero sense why they wouldn't demand that he focus 100% on baseball with that kind of investment.  More power to him if he was actually able to dictate those terms but just stupid on the A's part.

Yep. Not just the money, but also the pick.

7 hours ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

I really hope he plays. If he actually does and this isn’t a negotiation tactic, they will have a lame duck almost rookie with very little experience. When he struggles, which he will, the pressure to bench him and give their “future” qbs snaps will be huge. If he gets benched, he quits pretty much immediately. Great potential of an embarrassing circus. I like.

Pretty rare for OU to end up subpar at the QB spot.  Anything’s possible, but I’ll keep my money on Mike Stoops continuing to fuck over a good to great offense. 

That ‘embarrassing circus’ isn’t leaving town.  

53 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Trevor Knight in 14' was pretty meh.  Rhett Bomar?

Knight was horrible except that Bama game.  And that one game, plus his nice guy persona will help him go down in history as much better than the scrub he was.

And Bomar’d.  Lol.  That’s an all time gif.  

What happens if he does well and wants to continue to play football? Does he have an out?  Do the As have an out if he continues to play football and neglect his baseball?

Hopefully Hager can convince him that he chose poorly. doesnt make much sense to make an agreement to only play 1 season

Edited by Lhorn
Poor spelling

4 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

What happens if he does well and wants to continue to play football? Does he have an out?  Do the As have an out if he continues to play football and neglect his baseball?

Hopefully Hagar can convince him that he chose poorly. doesnt make much sense to make an agreement to only play 1 season

pr_hagar.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really don't get it, even with an insurance policy. Say he blows out his knee beyond just a single ligament tear, or his ankle gets all fucked up like his dad, or his throwing shoulder gets torn up. Maybe he gets $5m out of that?

Or, he could get that anyway, with the upside that he could be an above average starting outfielder for ten or 12 years, and bring in about $100m or more over that time. 

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I really don't get it, even with an insurance policy. Say he blows out his knee beyond just a single ligament tear, or his ankle gets all fucked up like his dad, or his throwing shoulder gets torn up. Maybe he gets $5m out of that?

Or, he could get that anyway, with the upside that he could be an above average starting outfielder for ten or 12 years, and bring in about $100m or more over that time. 

Big risk for the A's too, even aside from the money. If Kyler has any kind of severe injury like you describe, they're out the $5M and the #9 pick.