Kyler Murray - The Savior or Satan of OU Football

closetojumping

Maybe he signs for 3.5 million in exchange for playing one season of football, and then the a’s have money to go overslot later. 
Possibly. The A's are always looking for a deal.

They could also buy an insurance policy for the remainder of the balance.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Chips O'Toole said:

There's really no doubt in my mind that he gets dinged up in the season opener and peaces the fuck out of QB1.  Amazing that this kid is still trying to fuck everything up for himself.

does this face strike you as someone with a fully developed set of chromosomes?

km.png

8 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

He's playing this fall...... Last go around.

Good for the kid, I guess.... gets his huge cake and gets to eat it too..... Good, let's break him in the Cotton Bowl this October.

Their second pick is apparently a guy they'll have to overslot. Sounds like Kyler will be underslotted but play this fall

10 hours ago, shnsajax said:

I’m forgetting now, but if the A’s don’t sign him do they still get a 9th overall pick next year as compensation?

It was for the first three rounds, just can’t remember if they changed that rule.

You get the pick +1, so it would be 10th

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gecko said:

If I were his father I would advise against this.  His LT future is in baseball, not football.

Exactly my thought.  If he gets hurt this fall, what a squandered future.  If he were my kid, football would be done yesterday.

That said, I'm glad he's playing football.  Let's get it on.

1 hour ago, gecko said:

If I were his father I would advise against this.  His LT future is in baseball, not football.

It's not even really his future anymore - it is now. He can take millions now and begin an earnest pursuit to make many more millions by diving into baseball now. He's nuts if he ever puts on pads again. 

Maybe the A's can pay him less (under slot) if they agree to let him play football...might be worth the gamble on their part. 

It's not like I'm a Murray fan, but I'm not rooting for the kid to fail either. Just seems really dumb to continue playing football - a sport he has no hopes of playing professionally, one that poses a risk to his health and ability to play baseball professionally. We're not even sure if he's any good at football yet. 

Sign a deal, take the millions, start playing rookie ball this summer and focus on getting to Oakland. You could have done this 3 years ago and who knows how close you'd be now. You get a second chance. How is this even up for debate? 

Per Oakland's director of scouting:

"The risk of football was outweighed by the upside on the baseball field. ... We were totally on board with his desire to play quarterback at Oklahoma. Frankly, we're kind of excited to be Oklahoma fans."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2779542-eric-kubota-as-totally-on-board-with-kyler-murrays-desire-to-play-qb-at-ou

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

How much insurance is OU buying for him? 

Or do they A's foot that bill? 

Do they also take insurance out for their own sake? I mean, if he gets hurt, they are out X amount?

If the A's are getting him underslot enough to land a couple other hard-to-sign high schoolers who might be future first rounders otherwise, then him playing football so they can get him cheap actually might make sense. Obviously, there's a ton of risk in him playing football on their side, but how well this draft turns out for them depends just as much on if they're able to land other quality overslotted types. 

On his side, I don't think he loses his signing bonus even if he gets hurt, so the risk is more about delaying him playing baseball full time when he's already, or him getting seriously hurt playing football. 

He should probably not play football, get a bigger signing bonus, and start playing baseball full time earlier, but if he truly wants to play football this year like an idiot, what can you do?

49 minutes ago, Scholz said:

He's chosen to attend both A&M and OU.  His intelligence level has been previously measured and weighed.  And found wanting.

23 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Per Oakland's director of scouting:

"The risk of football was outweighed by the upside on the baseball field. ... We were totally on board with his desire to play quarterback at Oklahoma. Frankly, we're kind of excited to be Oklahoma fans."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2779542-eric-kubota-as-totally-on-board-with-kyler-murrays-desire-to-play-qb-at-ou

sounds like they have had a meeting of simpleton minds.

Deion Sanders was on The Ticket this morning and when asked his thoughts on this topic given his experience playing both he said that Kyler should go directly to the OU football facility this morning and burn all of his football gear. ha ha

Edited by orange dream
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Assman said:

Hearing rumors Kyler will forgo football and baseball next year to play Tommy DeVito in the OU Drama Club's rendition of Jersey Boys.

I heard he was slated to play Bushwick Bill in the Geto Boys biopic. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, orange dream said:

sounds like they have had a meeting of simpleton minds.

Deion Sanders was on The Ticket this morning and when asked his thoughts on this topic given his experience playing both he said that Kyler should go directly to the OU football facility this morning and burn all of his football gear. ha ha

Given equal ability in each sport, anyone who has just a good a chance to make the majors and the NFL and chooses the NFL is really dumb. Anyone who has a very good chance to make the majors (like being a top 10 pick) and chooses instead to play college football is a certifiable lunatic.  Kyler will never even play in the NFL. He should just GTFO of Norman ASAP. 

On one hand, if this isn't a negotiating ploy, you have to the commend the kid  for wanting to play football. In this day and age when kids sit out meaningless bowl games (which I don't begrudge, btw) to protect their mid-round draft status, I think it's a little refreshing that he's following his heart and doing what he loves. How could you put a price on the feeling of coming out of the tunnel in Dallas and playing QB in the Red River Rivalry? On the other hand, the adults in this situation including Lincoln Riley are likely doing this kid a disservice if they trot him out on the football field. I guess if it doesn't impact his contract, then it probably ultimately doesn't matter. 

His Dad had a severe ankle injury at aggy and wound up having difficulty getting cleared for the NFL Draft.  He was finally cleared, but went undrafted and landed with the Calgary Stampeders in the CFL.  He washed out there due to his chronic ankle problems.  His Dad must be one stupid mofo to put the kid at risk for a similar fate.  

I haven't been following this all that closely, but is the idea that his draft slot would be roughly $4.8 million but he's saying he's willing to sign for about a million less with the understanding he's allowed to play football this year and the A's like this because they can apply that $1 million in savings to their second round pick to make it more like another first round pick?  Also, in this scenario, is Kyler signing his contract with the A's now, so he gets the guaranteed money and signing bonus ASAP while still playing football this year? I guess the real question on this is if any of his money becomes guaranteed immediately or if it's all contingent on him being healthy and able to report for next season. I'm not real clear on how baseball draft contracts work in a situation like this.

3 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I haven't been following this all that closely, but is the idea that his draft slot would be roughly $4.8 million but he's saying he's willing to sign for about a million less with the understanding he's allowed to play football this year and the A's like this because they can apply that $1 million in savings to their second round pick to make it more like another first round pick?  Also, in this scenario, is Kyler signing his contract with the A's now, so he gets the guaranteed money and signing bonus ASAP while still playing football this year? I guess the real question on this is if any of his money becomes guaranteed immediately or if it's all contingent on him being healthy and able to report for next season. I'm not real clear on how baseball draft contracts work in a situation like this.

You have the concept correct but the specific dollar amount is probably wrong.  Doubtful he's going to give up a million but maybe a couple of hundred thousand..... And yes, he gets the bonus and most of the time they are guaranteed so the A's are taking the risk, but only the club and Murray's team know what was probably already been decided.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

His Dad had a severe ankle injury at aggy and wound up having difficulty getting cleared for the NFL Draft.  He was finally cleared, but went undrafted and landed with the Calgary Stampeders in the CFL.  He washed out there due to his chronic ankle problems.  His Dad must be one stupid mofo to put the kid at risk for a similar fate.  

Well, to be fair, they both went to a&m.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

On one hand, if this isn't a negotiating ploy, you have to the commend the kid  for wanting to play football. In this day and age when kids sit out meaningless bowl games (which I don't begrudge, btw) to protect their mid-round draft status, I think it's a little refreshing that he's following his heart and doing what he loves. How could you put a price on the feeling of coming out of the tunnel in Dallas and playing QB in the Red River Rivalry? On the other hand, the adults in this situation including Lincoln Riley are likely doing this kid a disservice if they trot him out on the football field. I guess if it doesn't impact his contract, then it probably ultimately doesn't matter. 

You couldn't pay me enough to come out of the tunnel playing for those fuckheads.

12 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

So he gets the money immediately?  Doesn't that effect his amateur status for playing collegiate sports?

No. There's a rule that you can be compensated in one sport and still be an amateur in another. And yes, i know, it makes no sense, but NCAA gonna NCAA.