Kyler Murray - The Savior or Satan of OU Football

closetojumping

1 minute ago, Ricky Butler said:

Is the OU QB stuff a negotiation ploy? I'm not familiar with MLB drafting. Is the money you can offer someone pretty set in stone by slot?

Teams can go over slot, but they have to take from another pick do to so.  Effectively they have a set signing amount based on all of their pick's slots.  If you can get a pick to sign under slot, you can then give that amount to another pick.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not some scrub your investing a 150K into. 5mill contract says you play baseball and not get hurt playing football. We'll see how the negotiations play out. A's would hate to see during the Texas game he blows out his knee in the 1st quarter..

A small framed person playing QB is not a recipe for good health.  He's not thick in body like Mayfield.  Kyler is a massive injury risk as a full time QB.  I will be shocked if the A's don't force him to give up football for the $5 million.   

39 minutes ago, Machinator said:

They're insisting that he'll play football this fall before bouncing. Time will tell.

34 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

MLB Network is apparently reporting that Murray plans to play football this fall and then join the A’s.

32 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

All of the commentary from the people covering the draft seems to think he will play FB for one more year. 

28 minutes ago, Machinator said:

As I referenced earlier in this thread, Kyler Murray’s uncle works directly for and with Scott Boras. Kyler Murray is working with his crew to execute a strategy for maximum returns to the family. They’ll play it to the bone that he’s going to play football before signing and heading to A ball. There is what is being said to the media and the public and then there is what is happening. I’m telling you what’s happening. 

Also, hahahahahahahahahaha!!! The ol’long range kill shot on this one. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Like 6

If the A's are drafting him based on potential and if some are saying he is already behind in his development, it seems like they would want him with a minor league club ASAP.  Especially  with their investment at risk..  Why let that dude waste 8 months fucking around in a dangerous college sport that comes with a significant risk of injury.  Is Al Davis' regarded son also running the A's?   

• Like 1

If the A's are drafting him based on potential and if some are saying he is already behind in his development, it seems like they would want him with a minor league club ASAP.  Especially  with their investment at risk..  Why let that dude waste 8 months fucking around in a dangerous college sport that comes with a significant risk of injury.  Is Al Davis' regarded son also running the A's?   

Edited by lemonandaturd
Sorry for the double post.

So what do we know about Austin Kendall? Besides of course that he sucks.

This video makes it sound like there was not much of a performance gap between Kendall and midget because midget still likes to take off running.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2018-mlb-draft-silence-is-golden-for-kyler-murray-as-oklahoma-qb-has-a-decision-to-make/

His stats.

https://247sports.com/Player/Austin-Kendall-33057

39 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

As I referenced earlier in this thread, Kyler Murray’s uncle works directly for and with Scott Boras. Kyler Murray is working with his crew to execute a strategy for maximum returns to the family. They’ll play it to the bone that he’s going to play football before signing and heading to A ball. There is what is being said to the media and the public and then there is what is happening. I’m telling you what’s happening. 

Also, hahahahahahahahahaha!!! The ol’long range kill shot on this one. 

Exactly, and Lincoln Riley is in on it.  He can tell other recruits he'll have their back no matter what and he obviously doesn't care about driving up costs for the Oakland A's.

9 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Is he seriously top 10 pick good. Or is this a stupid pick 

Kind of a stupid pick, definitely not Baker Mayfield #1 overall stupid though. It's a weak MLB draft class this year anyway. Might as well try to make a splash if you're a team like the A's. 

15 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Its a good pick by the A's. 1st round picks bust so often that you may as well take one that has the highest upside.

Dude could be Mookie Betts. Theres maybe a 5% chance of that happening but a bold team is gonna shoot its shot

Does Mookie throw a baseball like a bitch?

16 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Its a good pick by the A's. 1st round picks bust so often that you may as well take one that has the highest upside.

Dude could be Mookie Betts. Theres maybe a 5% chance of that happening but a bold team is gonna shoot its shot

I'd go with this.  Good luck to the kid.  Honestly, even number one picks flame out at an alarmingly high rate in MLB.  Should definitely take the cash and run...

I guess I REALLY don't understand projecting baseball prospects but I never would have guessed he'd go that high.  I have to think anyone using a draft pick that high would have some sense of whether he was interested in really signing and playing or not. 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2018 at 3:36 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

This thread is kind of Aggy.  What really completes it is the 'his uncle was a Longhorn legend'.  Aggy always has some relationship to some other relationship which will lead to good fortune for Aggy.   Only it never seems to work out.   But those fuckers should rename themselves NextTime A&M.  You guys are better than that. 

Murray is a midget AND a Sooner.  A Sooner who practiced cock gobbling skills in SheepFucker Station.  How could he suck more?  You should have left it at that. 

On 5/9/2018 at 4:17 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

He's sucking shit through a straw right now in baseball.  Highly doubt he goes MLB unless two things happen: he gets back on track in bases and he looks like shit as fall football practice kicks in.  I don't think he's another Baker Mayfield but I also don't think he will suck.  OU's system has made plenty of mediocre QB's look competent. 

On 5/9/2018 at 4:38 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

Well after that post I think you’ve clearly put more thought into the whole thing, at least when compared to me.  I threw in my 2 cents.  Had no idea I was dealing with an expert.  My bad.  

On 5/9/2018 at 4:29 PM, closetojumping said:

I don't know how closely you follow baseball talent acquisition, if any, but a small streak in favor or against a player is irrelevant to the teams drafting at this stage. He was coveted out of high school (pedigree matters with baseball front offices and the reasons for it would deserve their own thread), he played well in the Cape Cod league last summer, and until the past two weeks was having a fabulous season as a potential 5 tool player for a major college program. They're going to draft off of all of that, plus the facts that he's putting out word that he'd sign and not play in the fall as well the belief that he's still really raw and has a lot of room to develop. 

Think what you want though, we can check back after the draft. Did you ever think maybe I'm in better tune with the player side of things than you are on the OU side of things for this one? 

I promised to circle back after the draft. We’ve now circled. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I promised to circle back after the draft. We’ve now circled. 

Lol.  Post the post right after.  I was clear in saying I’m no expert.  But if you need the validation: props.  

Edit: you posted that one too.  Good on you.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

14 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Maybe he signs for 3.5 million in exchange for playing one season of football, and then the a’s have money to go overslot later. 

Ding, ding, ding...... Both sides have leverage now, but you have to think this was hammered out before tonight.  Maybe he said, if top 10 he would forgo football and it's why he was the surprise pick of the first round.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

Just now, lemonandaturd said:

3.5 million is still a lot of money to risk letting him waste several months getting knocked around in football.  

I'm sure there would be some sort of insurance policy but the A's are cheap, so this could be one way to get what they think is an elite talent for under the slot price.  They take on 6 months of risk and inconvenience.  Maybe not and perhaps the stories coming out from two different sources about Murray agreeing to play this season of football and then dedicating towards baseball full-time after are BS.  Maybe the A's just said Fuck It and want to money whip him..... I don't know.  But it's been speculated this is Beane trying to be...... creative. 

Also, the 3.5 is simply an example number by Pato to make the concept easier to understand....

1) I love the idea of a college athlete giving up a million dollars to play football for free.

2) Perhaps we're missing the most Kyler Murray move of all Kyler Murray moves. He wins the starting QB job at OU, plays the first 4 games, and then quits mid-season after sustaining a minor injury leaving his team in the lurch.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Assman said:

Hearing rumors Kyler will forgo football and baseball next year to play Tommy DeVito in the OU Drama Club's rendition of Jersey Boys.

Hmmmm.  I see him more as little Joey Pesci.

I have no doubt Kyler wants to play a season of football at OU just to try and show everybody he can be a legit D1 QB. He didn't get that chance at aggy, so he will want to do it at OU.

It doesn't make sense, but look who we're dealing with.  A guy who voluntarily went to aggy and OU.

It is funny that his biggest knock from scouts is his lack of at bats since high school because of football and transferring  has him way behind similar players, and he supposedly is talking about making a choice that would put him even further behind before starting his professional baseball career. 

I agree that this is all about the money now.  His Dad let Kyler transfer from aggy and left Rumlin in a lurch.  Loyalty to the alma mater be damned.  Pops will have no hesitation telling Riley and OU to pound sand.   They want to get the 4.5 million deal done.  

Yep and draft picks are the most valuable commodity that the A’s have. This is how they build their team. They aren’t wasting one on a guy they can’t get to the minors ASAP.

If Calvin can bend over OU while getting a commission check, then more power to him.