Dr. Anthony Fauci Appreciation Thread

Texas St. Armadillos

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Oh, let's not ignore the other half of the story:  diminishing January 6, 2021.

Give them something to rage about and they will drown out all other discussion . . . and we keep falling for it.

That and anyone happen to remember the press officer for NIAID that was 'retired' last September after it was discovered he was writing under a pseudonym as a managing editor for RedState? Pushing the COVID is a hoax in articles, objecting to the lockdowns and masks? The former Army platoon leader a year ago:

image.png.ab1f0494bf39cffa48664dcbfa50937a.png

When the 'hoax' tactic didn't work, the conspiracy was resurrected but Crew's dreams of fascist revenge and violence linger.

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

The ocean is a lot further away from Wuhan than your bat population, but you can get seafood there.  You can probably get elephant tusk and all kinds of other exotic shit there too.  I don't think the speculation about the bat vector was because the horseshoe bat is local, its because the horseshoe bat (and pangolin, and other potential vectors) are part of the local wet market.  

Interesting article today.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-91470-2

Here we document 47,381 individuals from 38 species, including 31 protected species sold between May 2017 and November 2019 in Wuhan’s markets. We note that no pangolins (or bats) were traded, supporting reformed opinion that pangolins were not likely the spillover host at the source of the current coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

• Hook 'Em 3

This right wing Fauci hissy fit is just like Benghazi. Right wingers raise a huge stink, the seals all clap and guffaw, and the rest of the normal country doesn’t give one shit. If you asked me to explain what Benghazi was about I couldn’t tell you even though I pay attention to politics because the whole thing was so stupid it wasn’t worth looking into. This fauci crap is the same deal. Nobody cares.

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

China can be criticized for a few months of bad behavior. The Trump administration was responsible for years of bad behavior. From leaving a seat at the WHO unfilled to pulling scientists out of China to dismantling the White House pandemic unit.

Trump and Pence are incompetent morons and put my health and safety at risk and fuck you if you defend them. That’s personal and makes you my enemy. 

I despise that admin prob more than you do. If he did anything regarding China it would receive major pushback. As Josh Rogin of the WaPo documented, part of the reason for the apathy of investigating or talking about the lab leak hypothesis was that you'd be labeled a Trump supporter. If the lab leak hypothesis is true then that would mean Trump, Pompeo, & their moronic sycophants were somehow 'right'. Putting the political scoreboard first & foremost has done so much damn damage to this country. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

No, it's not.  Ebright is a self-affirming white knight who has railed against this type of research for decades.  His conclusion is baked in.  

You are literally blaming Anthony Fauci for the Covid virus.  You are a fucking crackpot.

After reading some of his 100 percent true conclusions I feel that Baba likely also posts on or pulls “factual” information from the website Abovetopsecret. I feel bad for this guy that all of this makes sense in his mind and then the confirmation he gets from like-minded GQP conspiracy theorists gives him the confidence to talk authoritatively as though he is an expert in infectious diseases. The internet has done some cool things, but breaking the minds of millions upon millions of people in this country is not one of them.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

This right wing Fauci hissy fit is just like Benghazi. Right wingers raise a huge stink, the seals all clap and guffaw, and the rest of the normal country doesn’t give one shit. If you asked me to explain what Benghazi was about I couldn’t tell you even though I pay attention to politics because the whole thing was so stupid it wasn’t worth looking into. This fauci crap is the same deal. Nobody cares.

Well, an ambassador got killed, which is kind of a biggie. The Hillary witch trials got to be pretty damn stupid though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

Well, an ambassador got killed, which is kind of a biggie. The Hillary witch trials got to be pretty damn stupid though. 

The ambassador should’ve had a gas mask. The CIA never answered for why they didn’t want additional forces, not like additional forces would’ve prevented the attack. They just would’ve changed the scale of the attack. Kevin McCarthy boasted about how the Benghazi hearings hurt Hillary in the polls. How many attacks on embassies and consulates were there during the Bush/Cheney administration? Had to be a half dozen or more.

Should’ve killed bin Laden when they had him holed up in a cave in Tora Bora. The Republicans have been stupid and incompetent and a threat to national security since long before Trump. Trump just turned it up to 11. 

• Hook 'Em 1

You think you have a point,  You really don't.  China's wet markets are a HUGE source of commerce in tens of millions of locations across the country (and the entire continent).  Dispelling fears of people visiting them would be akin to quelling fears in the US of all grocery stores and gas stations.  It would crippled entire swaths of the country.  Try harder.  It was communicated internally, and people got wind of it and posted the notices.  

This is fucking hilarious. You’ve never been to one of these markets. You think you have a point. You read this point somewhere.

On 6/4/2021 at 10:22 AM, BabaYaga said:

Weapons grade irony here.....

Really? Name the Democratic CiC who has sought to 86 the will of the voters. Or the blue state who made a law enabling officials to toss out the results of a vote in its entirety due to an accusation of fraud. Name a Democratic President who wholesale refused to allow Executive branch officials to testify before Congress. Name a Democratic official who so consistently and shamelessly flouted the rule of law.

Few folks who share your political views will answer or engage on these questions, yet I’ll ask one more, do you believe, as the leader of your party believes, that the vote in ‘20 was stolen?

I won’t read to see if this has been posted. It beats repeating.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/7/2021 at 6:36 PM, lmao said:

I despise that admin prob more than you do. If he did anything regarding China it would receive major pushback. As Josh Rogin of the WaPo documented, part of the reason for the apathy of investigating or talking about the lab leak hypothesis was that you'd be labeled a Trump supporter. If the lab leak hypothesis is true then that would mean Trump, Pompeo, & their moronic sycophants were somehow 'right'. Putting the political scoreboard first & foremost has done so much damn damage to this country. 

I think you describe enough folks on the left to render your post somewhat true. At least not blatantly false. However, this very forum is replete with posts that acknowledge when the Trump administration got something right, even from posters with leftish views. So your post is also somewhat false.

I find this normal. What isn’t normal is the silence on the right; a cacophony of silence when the topic is insurrection, or the deliberate and dishonest attack on our elections and the resulting damage in public confidence in the Vote, and vote nullification. 

Edited by Willfully Horn
Belated unfuckery
  • Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

I think you describe enough folks on the left to render your post somewhat true. At least not blatantly false. However, this very forum is replete with posts that acknowledge when the Trump administration got something right, even from posters with leftish views. So your post is also somewhat false.

I find this normal. What isn’t normal is the silence on the right; a cacophony of silence when the topic is insurrection, or the deliberate and dishonest attack on our elections and the resulting damage in public coincidence for the Vote, and vote nullification. 

What the MAGA/Qanon dipshits believe or don't believe is irrelevant to investigating the origin of the virus. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, lmao said:

What the MAGA/Qanon dipshits believe or don't believe is irrelevant to investigating the origin of the 

I used to think what Q types believed couldn’t affect the bedrock principe of the rule of Law. Now I know better and so I disagree with this post.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

There are two narratives here, self reinforcing and overlapping.

First, we have to prove that Trump Was Right and someone Trump Doesn’t Like was wrong. And that none of this is Trump’s fault.

Second, Rand Paul narrative— the gubmint is bad. Look, the CDC and FDA are bad, we literally want to go back to Dr. Bill’s Healing Tonics and Electrotherapy Cure for Hysteria.

That’s all this shit is. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

There are two narratives here, self reinforcing and overlapping.

First, we have to prove that Trump Was Right and someone Trump Doesn’t Like was wrong. And that none of this is Trump’s fault.

Second, Rand Paul narrative— the gubmint is bad. Look, the CDC and FDA are bad, we literally want to go back to Dr. Bill’s Healing Tonics and Electrotherapy Cure for Hysteria.

That’s all this shit is. 

Well, there is a third narrative, that's legitimate.  And that is that we should do an investigation and debriefing on what went wrong and what went right and why.

And, like "voter fraud" and "election security," the ones pushing the Fauci narrative mostly for Trump Was RIght reasons will fall back on the legitimate investigation narrative when the absurdity of pushing the other two is revealed.  And the Trump Was Right crowd will also co-opt the opinions and possibly leadership of people with the legitimate interests to make their own narrative appear more palatable or legitimate.

I'm still a conservative in that I am not anxious to just hand over entire regimes of social responsibility and welfare to the gubmint, especially the federal gubmint.  But it's necessary.  And the gubmint should be investigated, held accountable, and changed legislatively more often than it is.  I am not an adherent of the burn it all down school of thought, or stupid as it were.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, there is a third narrative, that's legitimate.  And that is that we should do an investigation and debriefing on what went wrong and what went right and why.

It's amazing how broken our politics are. Good for Francis for at least publicly supporting an investigation. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/06/francis-collins-nih/619065/

NIH Director: We Need an Investigation Into the Wuhan Lab-Leak Theory

Francis Collins calls for a “thorough, expert-driven, and objective” inquiry, and shares what most surprised him about the virus.

“Far and away, the most likely origin is a natural zoonotic pathway from bats to some unidentified intermediate host to humans,” he told me. “But the possibility that such a naturally evolved virus might have also been under study at the Wuhan Institute of Virology and reached residents of Wuhan—and ultimately the rest of the world—as the result of a lab accident has never been adequately excluded.”

That possibility, Collins believes, calls for a closer look. “A thorough, expert-driven, and objective investigation, with full access to all information about events in Wuhan in the fall of 2019, is needed,” he said. “That should have happened right away, but did not.”

Collins was careful to qualify that the coronavirus is “absolutely not” man-made. “The genome sequence of SARS-CoV-2 has a number of unanticipated features that are not consistent with what international experts would have expected from an emerging and dangerous coronavirus,” he told me. “Thus, the hypothesis that this was a human-engineered bioweapon is hard to support. It’s unfortunate that the lab-leak hypothesis has been muddled up with the intentional-bioweapon hypothesis in 16 months of tortured and politically driven rhetoric. That has given way too much credibility to the latter and not enough to the former.”

Senator Rand Paul has accused the NIH and the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases of funding “gain of function” research into bat coronaviruses at the Wuhan Institute of Virology (WIV). (Gain-of-function research is intended to make pathogens more deadly or more transmissible for the purpose of producing knowledge that would benefit humans.) But Collins finds such claims misleading. “There’s a terminology problem here that is causing a lot of confusion,” Collins said. “Lots of scientists study harmless organisms like plants and bacteria to try to identify how life works, or how genetic changes might be useful for tackling a medical or societal problem. For example, if you want a harmless bacterium to acquire the ability to clean up an oil spill, you might use a bioengineering approach to provide those bacteria with gain of function to metabolize hydrocarbons into less harmful substances.”

Such research, he explained, is different from enhancing viruses that affect people. “The gain of function that is of much greater concern, and for which the United States has in place stringent oversight guidelines, relates to experiments that might make a human pathogen more transmissible or more virulent,” Collins said. “NIH has never supported such experiments on human coronaviruses. The now-terminated subcontract to the WIV was to support the isolation and characterization of viruses from bats living in caves in China. Since we knew those were the original source of SARS and MERS, it would have been irresponsible not to try to learn more about them. But the terms of the grant were limited to bat viruses, and absolutely did not allow gain-of-function research in the sense of studying human pathogens.”

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

And, like "voter fraud" and "election security," the ones pushing the Fauci narrative mostly for Trump Was RIght reasons will fall back on the legitimate investigation narrative when the absurdity of pushing the other two is revealed.  And the Trump Was Right crowd will also co-opt the opinions and possibly leadership of people with the legitimate interests to make their own narrative appear more palatable or legitimate.

I'm still a conservative in that I am not anxious to just hand over entire regimes of social responsibility and welfare to the gubmint, especially the federal gubmint.  But it's necessary.  And the gubmint should be investigated, held accountable, and changed legislatively more often than it is.  I am not an adherent of the burn it all down school of thought, or stupid as it were.

Combing through Fauci’s emails (which as we now know basically reflect what he said publicly) is not conducive and in fact probably counterproductive to a thorough investigation of what happened and how things went wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

It's amazing how broken our politics are. Good for Francis for at least publicly supporting an investigation. 

The irony of the right demanding a "complete and thorough" investigation of this, but not Jan 6th. 

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/06/francis-collins-nih/619065/

NIH Director: We Need an Investigation Into the Wuhan Lab-Leak Theory

Francis Collins calls for a “thorough, expert-driven, and objective” inquiry, and shares what most surprised him about the virus.

“Far and away, the most likely origin is a natural zoonotic pathway from bats to some unidentified intermediate host to humans,” he told me. “But the possibility that such a naturally evolved virus might have also been under study at the Wuhan Institute of Virology and reached residents of Wuhan—and ultimately the rest of the world—as the result of a lab accident has never been adequately excluded.”

That possibility, Collins believes, calls for a closer look. “A thorough, expert-driven, and objective investigation, with full access to all information about events in Wuhan in the fall of 2019, is needed,” he said. “That should have happened right away, but did not.”

Collins was careful to qualify that the coronavirus is “absolutely not” man-made. “The genome sequence of SARS-CoV-2 has a number of unanticipated features that are not consistent with what international experts would have expected from an emerging and dangerous coronavirus,” he told me. “Thus, the hypothesis that this was a human-engineered bioweapon is hard to support. It’s unfortunate that the lab-leak hypothesis has been muddled up with the intentional-bioweapon hypothesis in 16 months of tortured and politically driven rhetoric. That has given way too much credibility to the latter and not enough to the former.”

Senator Rand Paul has accused the NIH and the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases of funding “gain of function” research into bat coronaviruses at the Wuhan Institute of Virology (WIV). (Gain-of-function research is intended to make pathogens more deadly or more transmissible for the purpose of producing knowledge that would benefit humans.) But Collins finds such claims misleading. “There’s a terminology problem here that is causing a lot of confusion,” Collins said. “Lots of scientists study harmless organisms like plants and bacteria to try to identify how life works, or how genetic changes might be useful for tackling a medical or societal problem. For example, if you want a harmless bacterium to acquire the ability to clean up an oil spill, you might use a bioengineering approach to provide those bacteria with gain of function to metabolize hydrocarbons into less harmful substances.”

Such research, he explained, is different from enhancing viruses that affect people. “The gain of function that is of much greater concern, and for which the United States has in place stringent oversight guidelines, relates to experiments that might make a human pathogen more transmissible or more virulent,” Collins said. “NIH has never supported such experiments on human coronaviruses. The now-terminated subcontract to the WIV was to support the isolation and characterization of viruses from bats living in caves in China. Since we knew those were the original source of SARS and MERS, it would have been irresponsible not to try to learn more about them. But the terms of the grant were limited to bat viruses, and absolutely did not allow gain-of-function research in the sense of studying human pathogens.”

This seems eminently reasonable.  Let's note the adamant rejection of the idea that the NIH funded gain-of-function research on human pathogens.

• Hook 'Em 2

Didn't a bunch of CIA agents in China get killed a few years back? I wonder if we even have any left.

I'm fine with an investigation, but I doubt it will get anywhere as I have a hard time seeing China cooperate. I don't really understand what's changed the public understanding on this the past few weeks as it doesn't seem like anything new has really come out, but I don't see much harm in thinking that it probably resulted from a lab leak due to shitty safety protocols. Hell, even if it didn't China (any everyone else who does similar research) should still be quadruple checking all those protocols right now anyway. 

Baba's Fauci nonsense is Q-brained stuff, though.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Didn't a bunch of CIA agents in China get killed a few years back? I wonder if we even have any left.

I'm fine with an investigation, but I doubt it will get anywhere as I have a hard time seeing China cooperate. I don't really understand what's changed the public understanding on this the past few weeks as it doesn't seem like anything new has really come out, but I don't see much harm in thinking that it probably resulted from a lab leak due to shitty safety protocols. Hell, even if it didn't China (any everyone else who does similar research) should still be quadruple checking all those protocols right now anyway. 

Baba's Fauci nonsense is Q-brained stuff, though.

Yeah, I think any investigation should be more wide-ranging than just origin of the virus.

And I also agree that China will never cooperate with any such investigation, because of "face" and political considerations.  I suspect that we already have, covertly, whatever facts we're going to get.  No telling when that comes to light.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

This seems eminently reasonable.  Let's note the adamant rejection of the idea that the NIH funded gain-of-function research on human pathogens.

There is a bit of semantics involved in how that was framed, but I am not really focused on that.  I don't think that the thing was engineered in the lab.

More interesting from my perspective, and in line with where my thinking is, is the point that they were funding the collection of isolates for consolidation in the Wuhan lab. I think that both Collins and Fauci understand the problem here, and are thankful that people like Rand choose the GOF hill to die on in Congressional questioning instead of that topic. Collins tries to frame it as "irresponsible" to not do that work. I would frame it as irresponsible to do it (and fund it) without rigorous oversight given the risks involved. The focus on GOF testing provides an easy out and distracts from the likely explanation, imo, a lab leak of a naturally evolved virus.

My hunch, any investigation will demonstrate a relatively high level of evidence that the genetic structure of the virus is compatible with natural evolution related to coinfection in a bat in a cave. If there was a lab leak, there will never be conclusive smoking gun evidence. The case will be circumstantial. To the point being made by others here, the reality is that China is going to tell the world to pound fucking sand, and nobody has balls enough to do anything about it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

There is a bit of semantics involved in how that was framed, but I am not really focused on that. 

Yeah, I noticed the limitation to "human" coronaviruses.  There's some wiggle room there.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

And I also agree that China will never cooperate with any such investigation, because of "face" and political considerations.  I suspect that we already have, covertly, whatever facts we're going to get.  No telling when that comes to light.

If China is not willing to be transparent and open to thorough investigation, perhaps they should be treated by the world like a rogue state. 3.7MM deaths worldwide demands transparency and engagement by China to understand the root cause and how to address.  Whether that be fur farms, meat markets, or lax lab protocols. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Da Fino said:

This is fucking hilarious. You’ve never been to one of these markets. You think you have a point. You read this point somewhere.

My pics from 2012.  Wanna' keep playing?  They're fucking everywhere.  Whole family groups run them.  It's often their only source of revenue.  This was from outside Shenzhen.  Also spent time in HK and Vietnam.

Sweaty gringo backs of a few colleagues

7030406_WetMarkets.thumb.JPG.f5989a356ddc4ac61a4fe4537a9dc175.JPG1841070208_Wetmarkets2.thumb.JPG.371152bd7489ccbdfe30a24da6030911.JPG2055947508_Wetmarkets3.thumb.JPG.1b1ed3a108ee03d002414c634a46c96d.JPG605537271_Wetmarkets4.thumb.JPG.dcdf84e2f9cd61057882be6c36ca28f2.JPG

38 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

There is a bit of semantics involved in how that was framed, but I am not really focused on that.  I don't think that the thing was engineered in the lab.

More interesting from my perspective, and in line with where my thinking is, is the point that they were funding the collection of isolates for consolidation in the Wuhan lab. I think that both Collins and Fauci understand the problem here, and are thankful that people like Rand choose the GOF hill to die on in Congressional questioning instead of that topic. Collins tries to frame it as "irresponsible" to not do that work. I would frame it as irresponsible to do it (and fund it) without rigorous oversight given the risks involved. The focus on GOF testing provides an easy out and distracts from the likely explanation, imo, a lab leak of a naturally evolved virus.

My hunch, any investigation will demonstrate a relatively high level of evidence that the genetic structure of the virus is compatible with natural evolution related to coinfection in a bat in a cave. If there was a lab leak, there will never be conclusive smoking gun evidence. The case will be circumstantial. To the point being made by others here, the reality is that China is going to tell the world to pound fucking sand, and nobody has balls enough to do anything about it. 

The US has an eighty billion dollar a year intelligence community.  But will be utterly stifled on the origins of a global pandemic killing millions because the suspect "won't cooperate".  I don't buy it

A paper from one of Fauci's buddies back in 2015.  A clear warning as to why Obama shut this stuff down

GOF research

Oh, and they deposited this information about their 'zoonotic' virus they found in 2015 in May 2020.

Or again, the inventor of the PCR test on Fauci and his dishonesty around this entire process (earlier youtube video posted)

Fauci also knew (and has admitted) that using a PCR test with a cycle threshold (CT) above 35 renders it useless because at that point, you're just detecting dead nucleotides. No live virus can be detected at CTs that high. As early as March 2020, he knew up to 90% of positive PCR tests were false positives and that these people really weren't sick, yet he said and did nothing.

That's patently incorrect.  A "false positive" result is a positive result for a person who does not have the virus.  What has been asserted is that a positive result can't be use to determine degree of infectiousness.

It takes about 6 seconds to google this and debunk your silly bullshit.

Here you go, BY

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

The US has an eighty billion dollar a year intelligence community.  But will be utterly stifled on the origins of a global pandemic killing millions because the suspect "won't cooperate".  I don't buy it

A paper from one of Fauci's buddies back in 2015.  A clear warning as to why Obama shut this stuff down

GOF research

Oh, and they deposited this information about their 'zoonotic' virus they found in 2015 in May 2020.

Or again, the inventor of the PCR test on Fauci and his dishonesty around this entire process (earlier youtube video posted)

You're just all over the place trying to find some fault with Fauci.

And, whoops.  https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/childrens-health-defense/]

Overall, we rate the Children’s Health Defense a strong conspiracy and quackery level advocacy group that frequently promotes unsupported claims. We also rate them low for factual reporting due to the promotion of propaganda as well as several failed fact checks.

And, with regard to the cited Nature article:

30 March 2020 Editors’ note, March 2020: We are aware that this article is being used as the basis for unverified theories that the novel coronavirus causing COVID-19 was engineered. There is no evidence that this is true; scientists believe that an animal is the most likely source of the coronavirus.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That's patently incorrect.  A "false positive" result is a positive result for a person who does not have the virus.  What has been asserted is that a positive result can't be use to determine degree of infectiousness.

It takes about 6 seconds to google this and debunk your silly bullshit.

Here you go, BY

Yeah, what does the guy that actually invented the PCR test know.  Glad Reuters is there to set him straight.....

It's gonna suck when Babayaga inevitably concludes that we're all adrenochrome-harvesting baby eaters who are secretly collaborating with Fauci and China or something. It's a real bummer how inevitable and unavoidable the decline into this shit is for some people.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

You're just all over the place trying to find some fault with Fauci.

And, whoops.  https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/childrens-health-defense/

Not really.  My assertion all along has been that Fauci is intimately aware of the genesis of this virus having been spun up in the lab his teams have been funding.  This information he and his team tried to squelch, trying to throw out a smokescreen about the natural spill over.  

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Not really.  My assertion all along has been that Fauci is intimately aware of the genesis of this virus having been spun up in the lab his teams have been funding.  This information he and his team tried to squelch, trying to throw out a smokescreen about the natural spill over.  

200.gifyou seeing this rock n roll GIF by Zakk Wylde

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

You are Tucker Carlson's wet dream.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It's gonna suck when Babayaga inevitably concludes that we're all adrenochrome-harvesting baby eaters who are secretly collaborating with Fauci and China or something. It's a real bummer how inevitable and unavoidable the decline into this shit is for some people.

The irony is thick here, when a year before, anyone even trying to push the lab leak theory was labeled a conspiracy theorist and often directly censored by big tech if it was a publication.  Funny how we've come around on this.  Trying to goaltend that Fauci had no knowledge of the type of research they were funding is laughable.  

21 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

30 March 2020 Editors’ note, March 2020: We are aware that this article is being used as the basis for unverified theories that the novel coronavirus causing COVID-19 was engineered. There is no evidence that this is true; scientists believe that an animal is the most likely source of the coronavirus.

That was from March of last year.  Funny how attitudes have changed since then.....

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

When was the last time a government agency was actually reprimanded for illegal activities? I can't think of one bureaucracy that has been slapped. All I could find was house members who are actually answerable, not the bureaucracy themselves. That seems like a good way to get a Kafkaesque bureaucracy where the blame is blameless, since no one knows who controls what. Yes slippery slope, but not too different from your "burn it all down," talk. As if there will be anarchy if government agencies were to be rolled back. 

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

The irony is thick here, when a year before, anyone even trying to push the lab leak theory was labeled a conspiracy theorist and often directly censored by big tech if it was a publication.  Funny how we've come around on this.  Trying to goaltend that Fauci had no knowledge of the type of research they were funding is laughable.  

I don't really care what Fauci knew when. I've been plenty critical of his messaging on masking, but he's not particularly important to me. 

Where you get your information strongly indicates that you're a conspiracy-minded autodidact with absolutely no awareness of your own limitations and that you're doomed to go down some crazy conspiracy rabbit holes and probably get into white supremacist race science too. And it sucks to watch.

• Like 1

I concede the possibility that Fauci is a "gain of function" maniac.  I think reasonable minds might differ as to whether the cost/risk justifies the benefit.

I also concede that he may have been engaged in shenanigans to get this kind of work done, somewhere.

I don't think any of that is proven in any way, shape, or form, nor do I think it's particularly important at this point in time.

I think it is reasonable to include this type of topic in any investigation or post-mortem of the pandemic, causes, and responses.

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

I concede the possibility that Fauci is a "gain of function" maniac.  I think reasonable minds might differ as to whether the cost/risk justifies the benefit.

I also concede that he may have been engaged in shenanigans to get this kind of work done, somewhere.

I don't think any of that is proven in any way, shape, or form, nor do I think it's particularly important at this point in time.

I think it is reasonable to include this type of topic in any investigation or post-mortem of the pandemic, causes, and responses.

And there we have it.  I think his 2012 quote citing his work being so important that the risk of a pandemic was worth the risk.  

And of course we can prove it.  It requires a forensic dive into all the collected research, data, and samples his teams have been funding since 2017 when they started funneling money to the lab.  Dozens of pages back the question was what did he know and when did he know it.  This forensic dive could easily prove this one way or another.  

We have published papers that the WIV ran this virus tens of thousands of times through human lung tissue in mice, trying to isolate certain receptor sites.  We have a strong understanding of what was being done, but we need to complete picture.  We need to know why Fauci and Daszak continually stonewalled and dismissed any notion of the lab leak theory, even going so far to engender a clear conflict of interest with Daszak who first investigated the lab and created the narrative the MSM ran with that a leak was all but impossible.  

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Correct.  If Fauci went rogue behind the scenes, funding dangerous research at foreign labs that are difficult if not impossible to police, then of course we need to know this.

As always, Occam's Razor points to much more likely scenarios, unless one is a conspiracy theorist moonlighting as a complete fucking nutjob, like @BabaYaga.

What was or was not supported by science, scientists, or the public in March 2020 is utterly irrelevant in the sense that shifting theories happen all the time in science, and a shift need not be nefarious.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

I don't really care what Fauci knew when. I've been plenty critical of his messaging on masking, but he's not particularly important to me. 

Where you get your information strongly indicates that you're a conspiracy-minded autodidact with absolutely no awareness of your own limitations and that you're doomed to go down some crazy conspiracy rabbit holes and probably get into white supremacist race science too. And it sucks to watch.

I can get a fascination with it.  Way back when, I read The Hot Zone and a bunch of "bioterror" thrillers.  It's interesting shit.  And, it's just the kind of thing where scientific egos, and bureaucracy, and incompetence can kind of come together with disastrous results.

As mentioned, USAMRIID, which used to compete for prestige and money with CDC on CBW and infectious disease research, has been kneecapped after a series of security/safety protocol failures, so it can happen here.

All that said, I'm pretty skeptical of the whole thing.  It's just too conspiratorial and in an environment full of conspiracies.  This is one of the less looney ones.

• Hook 'Em 1