Blastfurnace 2020: The Forcefield strikes back

Kavinsky

Yeah, I tried to stop and give thanks to the weather gods...of which there is only one...and PhDhorn is his prophet.  But I was literally just looking at my yard and realizing it looks worse on October 7 than it did on August 7.  I thought I could shut off the sprinkler system, plus get lazy and not fix the broken head out there and just coast until dormancy/March.  But nope, I need to handwater as well.  With the heat index, we should likely touch 100 with humidity and no rain on Saturday-Monday.  Summer, it would be appear ain't done with us.  

29 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

That will drop a man. Getting your breath knocked out is much less painful.

the couple of times it's happened to me i wasn't able to breathe for a bit.  it's like the bottom drops out and you can't do anything.  completely helpless.  i don't know how the guy even managed to say "oh no".

90-95 everyday this week until Friday.  Mornings look decent.  

Any of the resident experts wanna chime in on how the longer-term backhalf macro forecast for October is looking?  

I tried to go fishing this morning before church, spent about 10 minutes in the backyard and just said, "fuck it"

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

90-95 everyday this week until Friday.  Mornings look decent.  

Any of the resident experts wanna chime in on how the longer-term backhalf macro forecast for October is looking?  

I tried to go fishing this morning before church, spent about 10 minutes in the backyard and just said, "fuck it"

Which one are you? 

image.thumb.png.ec03c7cdb5b308559fde73a4f0827b7e.png

I kid, I kid.... After this weekend I need some humor. 

I wish it was the kinda weather we could fish in jackets.  Instead, I have to stop and think, "It's so fucking hot, are they even biting...and if they are...how hydrated do I have to get just to go out there for an hour.  And once out there, can I even responsibly have a few beers and not get heat stroke?  Climate Change Fishing fucking blows. 

1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I guess the last week to 10 days of cooler temps reduced my tolerance to the heat.  I spent some quality time sipping cold ones in the driveway this afternoon and after about and hour and a half I was freaking wrecked.  Back in July / August I could get in three hours and be none the worse for the wear.

Exactly. 97 or whatever it was today in the middle of October is like 109 in August.

I wish it was the kinda weather we could fish in jackets.  Instead, I have to stop and think, "It's so fucking hot, are they even biting...and if they are...how hydrated do I have to get just to go out there for an hour.  And once out there, can I even responsibly have a few beers and not get heat stroke?  Climate Change Fishing fucking blows. 
Or, ya know, just stop being such a dramatic pussy.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Yep, let's tell that to the people on the Gulf Coast who've endured more named storms than is literally possible in our litany.  When your teeth are chattering at 59 degrees, I'll think real long and hard about your advice.  Sorry I don't find fishing under threat of heat stroke in October to be fun.  The next Dept. of Navy flag officer that privately tells me Climate Change isn't effecting our defense strategy...will be the first.  I did my DIA assignment in a godforsaken cold corner of the Earth.  And I smiled the whole fucking time.  My hat's off to you for your service, but our planet is hurting. 

Anyway, back to just basic hot weather in October...which was you know...the point of the fucking thread.  It's a thread literally about hot weather...people are gonna complain about the hot weather.  It's folksy, call me whatever you want.  Just tell me when the fucking rain is coming back.  Let me know when we have permission to discuss the hot weather again, sir.  

Edited by Lobo

Temp did NOT get to 100 today in Austin!  99 at Mabry!
Record stands at Oct. 2 latest 100 degree day in October.  Yippie.

Yeah it was 99 today but it's cooled off quickly, normally temps would go below 90 about 10 p.m.  Because we lost the 100 degree days well over a month ago now, the ground is simply not hot enough to retain the heat.  It's nice out here actually.  All of that temp was sue to the hot dry air being funneled up on the back side of Delta.  Shrug.

Warm and dry this week, cool front in on Friday.  Temps hovering around 90 daytime until then.  Front tomorrow will keep the air dry, so overnights will be cool, into the 60's and even 50's in some spots.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yep, let's tell that to the people on the Gulf Coast who've endured more named storms than is literally possible in our litany.  When your teeth are chattering at 59 degrees, I'll think real long and hard about your advice.  Sorry I don't find fishing under threat of heat stroke in October to be fun.  The next Dept. of Navy flag officer that privately tells me Climate Change isn't effecting our defense strategy...will be the first.  I did my DIA assignment in a godforsaken cold corner of the Earth.  And I smiled the whole fucking time.  My hat's off to you for your service, but our planet is hurting. 

Anyway, back to just basic hot weather in October...which was you know...the point of the fucking thread.  It's a thread literally about hot weather...people are gonna complain about the hot weather.  It's folksy, call me whatever you want.  Just tell me when the fucking rain is coming back.  Let me know when we have permission to discuss the hot weather again, sir.  

Do you sell a cliff's notes version of your posts? 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Do you sell a cliff's notes version of your posts? 

It's hot.  It's damn hot.  Real hot. Hot in my shorts.  I could cook things in it.  Little crotch pot cooking.  Fool, were you born on the sun? 

(RIP, Robin).  Also, you could just do what I do anytime I see your posts...just scroll on by.  Immamac has built some beautiful features into this site).  

13 hours ago, Lobo said:

The next Dept. of Navy flag officer that privately tells me Climate Change isn't effecting our defense strategy...will be the first.  I did my DIA assignment in a godforsaken cold corner of the Earth.  And I smiled the whole fucking time.

No one gives a shit.  Stop whining about every little thing.

No talking about the heat on a thread about the heat.  No talk of climate on the climate thread.  Got it.  They're just words man, skip past 'em...works for your wife.

Meanwhile, it is muggier than two rats in a sock this morning.  Seriously...when is the next chance we have for rain?  Isn't October supposed to be out 3rd highest rainfall by month in Central Texas?  

Just now, Lobo said:

No talking about the heat on a thread about the heat.  No talk of climate on the climate thread.  Got it.  They're just words man, skip past 'em...works for your wife.

Meanwhile, it is muggier than two rats in a sock this morning.  Seriously...when is the next chance we have for rain?  Isn't October supposed to be out 3rd highest rainfall by month in Central Texas?  

Nothing I quoted had a fucking thing to do with the 2020 blastfurnace.  It was your typical, "Look at me, I speak with big shots every day." bullshit.

Again, no one gives a fuck.  Shut it.

They teach at UT, why cant' we mention on a UT message board about the wealth of knowledge we have on our campus?  They all speak about climate change as a national security issue, has nothing to do with me.  You're doing a large job at being small.  You whine about SEC football and Donald Trump like my 5 year old whines about vegetables.  Report my posts or ignore me.  You're giving people an awful lot of thought who wouldn't remember you with a gun to their heads. 

By the the way "shut it"?  Did Potsie or Fonzie tell you to say that?  Perhaps it was Ralph Malph?  

Edited by Lobo

12 hours ago, Lobo said:

It's hot.  It's damn hot.  Real hot. Hot in my shorts.  I could cook things in it.  Little crotch pot cooking.  Fool, were you born on the sun? 

(RIP, Robin).  Also, you could just do what I do anytime I see your posts...just scroll on by.  Immamac has built some beautiful features into this site).  

Is ignoring me still trendy? You're living in the past, man. 

I don't think I have you on ignore.  I only have one poster on ignore, the guy who used my wife and I's real name on this site a few years back.  You got my Adrien Cronauer reference so you're aces in my book since Roosevelt E. Roosevelt is exactly how I picture PhDhorn.  He goes through all this trouble in real life to bring us these details narratives on the weather, and then we chop them down to "Can't you see I'm on the balcony...I'm trying to score!  You got a window?  Open it!"  

Front/wind is coming from the direction of the panhandle.  It was overcast just after sunrise, then cleared up nicely, and then this shit started about 3 hours ago.  It has been pretty damn dry between Amarillo and Austin for the last several weeks.  Maybe that's why?  It is kinda eerie, looks like those African dust storms but about 3 months too late. 

Is this why we're supposed to wear masks?  

Whatever it is has given three full blown allergy attacks today - each time I've stepped outdoors the sneezes won't stop. Just fucking disgusting. Hot and sticky with all the plants looking wilty. I can't tell if they're dying or about to go dormant for fall/winter. It's gross and miserable. Fuck everything.

Ragweed is really tough on my 5yo. 

It's off the charts high today, combined with this panhandle drought dust, and soupy humidity.....I think "Haboob" is some kinda fucked up falafel stew that just rests in the air.

1 hour ago, Chet Steadman said:

I don’t remember seeing chances of a haboob on today’s forecast.  

Visibility is about two miles right now in Austin. 

That's being caused by the stampede of donors fleeing the UT athletics program.  It'll settle down by tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 2

The Florida Panhandle.  That Pensacola dust...it'll get ya'.

I just learned last week that Connecticut technically has a panhandle.  It is that SW corner thingy that's about 10mi x 20mi.  Panhandle Envy is real.  

Kansas 1933 or Kansas 2020?  There's a difference, dammit!  

Haze has been better here in South Austin but I was on campus earlier and it was a hazy shitshow east of IH-35.  Humidity down a bit and not quite as hot, nowhere near as haboob soupy as Sunday and MOnday.  Tomorrow looks like it's gonna flirt with 100 though with the heat index.  And Sunday should touch 95 easily.  Ah well, not like we have to worry about dehydrating during a football game or ACL Music Festival.  Still, my lawn is crunchy as fuck for this time of year.  Maybe the 37th named storm of the year should help saturate my grass. 

Friday looks fucking perfect for fishing.  Between two fronts, partly cloudy, slightly cooler temps in the morning and at dusk even for this time of year, 10mph winds and low runoffs into the few places I know to take my 5yo.  Backhalf of October starting to look nice on long-term forecast.  

2020 has been a complete and total fucking asshole to our Gulf State neighbors, to California, to my hometown midwest, et. al.  Fuck, there was even a fucking hurricane in Hawaii for the first time in God knows how long.  But it has largely spared Texas.  And for that...we give thanks.  (DUCKS!)  

Us Non-Yeti owning lowlifes.  But fair point.  

I'll never understand the Texas dynamic of buying a six-pack for golf and just letting it get hot.  Buy ice or drink it.  Why is it so fucking complicated?