Check Out This Fucking Sandwich

Jack Straw

• 2 weeks later...

I’m 48 and I never cared to even try pimento cheese until a couple years ago when my fiancé turned me on to it since she she ate a ton of it as a kid. I’m now a fan and I make my own, usually with a few chopped pickled japs for some kick, and it makes an excellent grilled cheese sandwich.

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I’m 48 and I never cared to even try pimento cheese until a couple years ago when my fiancé turned me on to it since she she ate a ton of it as a kid. I’m now a fan and I make my own, usually with a few chopped pickled japs for some kick, and it makes an excellent grilled cheese sandwich.

Pawely’s Island Palmetto Cheese is a quite tasty store-bought brand.   

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/30/2023 at 8:47 AM, South Austin said:

Spread some on a burger.  Good stuff.

15 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Grabbed some corned beef flats at HEB, rubbed them in pastrami rub and smoked yesterday. Warmed in steam, and served up on marbled rye. 

IMG-0964.jpg

IMG-0971.jpg

Looks amazing!  Did you soak them in water overnight to desalinate a bit or just season and toss them on?

On 8/5/2023 at 8:30 PM, dcbc said:

Was it overly salty, or did your rub not have much salt?  I've done that before and really needed to be careful not to add too much salt.

Didn’t taste over salted to me.  Run had quite a bit too.  But I like salt. 

ETA: Made a sandwich for lunch with the leftovers and ate a few good chunks plain during prep. It is a bit briny.  Will try a soak next time to see if that takes the edge off. Not off putting in a fully dressed sandwich, but it is definitely there.   

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Hard YES! Only thing I might have done there (cause I’m a fat kid at heart) was to butter that ciabatta and give it a light toast in the pan.

Regardless, would smash.

Or horseradish sauce.  But in any event, would smash that sammich.

12 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Or horseradish sauce.  But in any event, would smash that sammich.

I initially thought about horseradish as my wet topping.  But in going down the tri tip sandwich internet rabbit hole I found a recipe calling for homemade jalapeno aioli, and then when I got to Central Market for the ingredients I found some hatch jalapeno aioli in a bottle, and thought to myself, well, it's Hatch Chili Season and less work for me in the kitchen, so there you go. 

d78ad0a5-f675-4db6-b6d4-5f3e72a12943_tex

Anyway, the aioli was pretty good, and added a nice tang with just a touch of heat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I enjoy a great lobster roll but they are so expensive even in a shack in Maine. I like mine with garlic butter and green onions versus the mayo. I buy lots of frozen wild gulf shrimp and I make a shrimp roll with Cajun spiced shrimp tossed in garlic butter and put on toasted garlic bread.

Haven’t made one in a while. Might have to do these tonight.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK, I'm not the sammich-maker or photographer that some of you are, but this might be my best effort in terms of flavor.  I slow-roasted a salt-and-pepper-crusted USDA Choice bottom round (HEB didn't have top round) to about 133 F, and loaded it up with baby swiss, green leaf lettuce, hot house tomatoes and mayo on Easy Tiger sourdough.  DANG.  Good eatin'.

p.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...