Check Out This Fucking Sandwich

Jack Straw

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I would have gone full cross section slices, but I understand the little spear thing. Looks like jalapeno for ants though. 

But seriously.  Great looking sandwich. 

i went with strips because the rest of the pepper ended up in pico, where i like a fine dice. 

On 2/19/2023 at 2:15 PM, Pescado_Rojo said:

Ham, prosciutto, mortadella, and salami. Provolone and LTOP, red wine vinegar, s&p, Italian seasoning and cherry pepper relish on a leftover piece of H‑E‑B French bread. Bread was the weakest link. I need better sub rolls. 76C05586-A684-4D2F-A708-247483A7F342.thumb.jpeg.55ccb3d2b3172cf39a30fbe8f2b2f790.jpeg

There's not much better than an Italian sammich. Very fine entry, sir.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/6/2022 at 12:39 AM, elfenix said:

go to your local korean or chinese market (h mart or 99 ranch market) and look for thin sliced beef.  shabushabu/hot pot will be a thinner cut than beef for kbbq, generally.

20210813-3.jpg.91c2980ad3246fb30712437f3ff3d21c.jpg

I hadn't thought of ShabuShabu in years.  I had it in Tokyo many moons ago.  And lots of Sake.

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Looks great -- where'd you buy the bread?

royal bakery in the crime-free montrose.  so much better than using HEB's french/french sticks/sandwich/bollilos, which are all too crusty for a sandwich. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

I know that. I don’t like the texture of these fat boys that have big solid pith so I trim it out. Don’t like that sponge part as it’s pepper placenta. I also clean my shrimp, peel my ribs, and grind my own hamburger.

Im saying a lot of the chilies I’m buying lately are either super hot, even trimmed out, or flavorless, not like a trimmed jalapeño or even a bell pepper.

I had major sinus surgery twenty years ago and my tolerance for scovilles collapsed. I went from the habanero guy to the medium salsa guy, and my Thai scale moved from hot to mild. The docs didn’t tell me that might be a side effect of the surgery. But I was in Portland which hasn’t ever seen a chile pepper. I am sure any of you ents in Texas would either warn us or make sure not to fuck with the chile thing in my nose.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2023 at 11:04 AM, bborange said:

Costco in Pflugerville was selling packages of thinly sliced ribeyes last week, so I made cheesesteaks.   Big portion of meat, cheese, onions, and jalapeños.

image.thumb.jpeg.29f51da0bd38cbf4d969d8b1beabc081.jpeg

Fucking cheesesteak venn diagram shit going on here. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
[mention=306]PantsTent[/mention] [mention=6972]Texzilla58[/mention]
The sauce and meatballs are homemade, a lot of eyeballing goes into the balls but I’ll do the best I can.
The sauce is basically a dumbed down version of a red sauce that I’d use for pasta or the base for a meat sauce.  Half a shallot and 3-4 cloves of garlic on olive oil for a few minutes followed by 3/4 cup of white wine to deglaze until the alcohol is cooked out.  Big can of crushed tomatoes, half a small can of tomato sauce, and half a tube of tomato paste get added.  Salt, pepper and a lot of dried Italian seasoning.  Few splashes of Worcestershire, stir and bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer.
Two pounds of meat make about two dozen balls for the size I make them.  I go two thirds ground beef, one third ground pork.  I combine the meat and pork with 3/4 to one cup of Panko.  I add a handful of fresh grated Parmesan, small handful of finely chopped herbs (fresh basil, Italian parsley), some salt, pepper, some Worcestershire, and 2 eggs.  I get that mixed and all incorporated by hand and then add 1/4 of milk.  Mix some more and keep adding a few splashes of milk until I get the wetness I want in my balls.  Then I form by hand and bake at 400 for ten minutes (longer if you have bigger balls).  

They are probably 80% cooked at this point, but I pull them and finish in the simmering sauce until they are 155-160 degrees.  

Bread is from Noble Bread Co.  A solid bakery here in AZ.  I boat cut the bread, think 90’s pre pedo subway, then add a provolone cheese hinge.  Add the meatballs and sauce and then some shredded mozzarella and dried Italian seasoning goes on top.  Finish under the broiler for a couple minutes.  Let cool for a few minutes… shit comes out hot.  

Thanks man! I think the key is how you’re saving the milk for last after mixing the other ingredients. Gonna make some.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...