Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

6 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

It's not just Trump it's the whole party over country and at this point party over self mentality that Rush, Fox News, etc have created.

I saw an interview yesterday with a teacher from Oklahoma who was protesting for raises and increased funding for students etc. He said that he has worked at Subway and Braums and as a cashier in addition to his teaching job to send his kid to college. When asked what his message is to lawmakers he replied "they need to work something out because midterms are coming and it they don't fix this they could run a fencepost with an R after their name and I would vote for them" 

Sounds like a sharp dude

7 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

It's not just Trump it's the whole party over country and at this point party over self mentality that Rush, Fox News, etc have created.

I saw an interview yesterday with a teacher from Oklahoma who was protesting for raises and increased funding for students etc. He said that he has worked at Subway and Braums and as a cashier in addition to his teaching job to send his kid to college. When asked what his message is to lawmakers he replied "they need to work something out because midterms are coming and it they don't fix this they could run a fencepost with an R after their name and I would vote for them" 

And this is why we are fucking broken.

• Like 1

Conservative talk radio and FoxNews drew the battle lines for the last 20 years. It cuts both ways though. Both sides think that the other side is getting something over on them. If you're a D, you're programmed to think that the D leadership is weak-kneed and that the Rs get away with everything, and vice versa. Just my  perspective, but it seems that the Rs suffer a little more from this inferiority complex, and they seem to buy in more to their leadership being feckless.

Now that the Rs have a party leader in DOTUS who will own the libs all the time, it's all out war, and they will support him no matter what b/c it's payback time. The same will go for the next D president and the next D house & senate leaders.

Edited by retread

hhFMiVB.jpgI agree with the replies above but would also add that I believe the tribalism problem could be solved if the population were to really educate and keep themselves current on issues, the impact on themselves, the country, and the world as well.

Unfortunately we have grown fat and lazy and I don't see that changing.

Edited by Grade of D as in David
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Grade of D as in David said:

I agree with the replies above but would also add that I believe the tribalism problem could be solved if the population were to really educate and keep themselves current on issues, the impact on themselves, the country, and the world as well.

Unfortunately we have grown fat and lazy and I don't see that changing.

Corollary: the less someone knows about a topic, the stronger their partisan feelings are about it, IMO.  

25 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Am I misreading this or is this Okie saying that if the Republican lawmakers don't fix this, he will punish them by voting for Republicans?

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Am I misreading this or is this Okie saying that if the Republican lawmakers don't fix this, he will punish them by voting for Republicans?

You read it correct, but are you really surprised? Brainwashed idiots incapable of self thought 

5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

He's saying if the Republicans in office don't fix it, then if another Republican runs he will vote against the incumbent. 

29 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

They've successfully created tribes that have nothing to do with facts, issues, or independent thinking.

You are a member of a tribe.  You are loyal to that tribe.  What that tribe actually does or stands for doesn't mean anything.  You vote for the tribe.  If the tribe is for fiscal restraint, you're for fiscal restraint.  If tomorrow, they are against fiscal restraint, you're against fiscal restraint.  All that matters is your tribe. 

Oh, and that you hate the "other."  Gotta hate the "other."  They've done a great job of lumping groups into the "other" -- evil mexicans (CRIME!), black folks (BLACK LIVES MATTERS IS TERRORISTS!), and liberals (literally everyone who doesn't pledge 100% loyalty to Donald Trump).  Funny thing is, when you add up all the folks included in the "other" group, you end up with something like 2/3 of the population.  But for that 1/3 they've got locked down, they are LOCKED DOWN.  That's why Trump's approval rating will never go below 35%.  There's literally nothing he can do to lose the loyalty of the tribe.

They do have a tribe but it's certainly not a tribe for "fiscal restraint."  The tea party movement was never about fiscal responsibility and conservative economic policy is deeply unpopular.  That's why the GOP does all they can to keep everyone focused on the culture war and external boogeymen.  

Edited by Fozzz

45 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

self mentality that Rush, Fox News, etc have created

my great suspicion is this mentality was not created by rush, fox news, &c.  it has existed for centuries in a subset of our population.  what is new is those creeps and their rooskie overlords figuring out how to tap into the craziness.  i've seen exactly what we are describing all my long life.  you just have to know where to look and realize what it means.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Lulz.  You ruined my life and the lives of many just like me! Consider my yelp rating for you reduced to 4 stars, mister. 

A couple of "but Hilllary"'s and "BENGAZI!!!"'s will have him back in the lap of his dear leader.  If he voted for him once he gives zero shits about policy even if it personally affects him negatively.  Hell he'll probably give him another $30K out of his own pocket to "stick it to that cunt and libtards."

38 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Back to Gowdy's book. What's unlikely about a friendship between two South Carolina Republicans? Hmmmm. How are they different?

Really stupid tagline considering the image.

5abd585a8a3db.image.jpg

It really is strikingly tone deaf.  "What are the odds that a white guy and a black guy who share similar political views would EVER become friends?  Because, you know . . . skin tone!  Amirite???"

• Like 2

Just now, TheFlyingBoat said:

Mfw anyone thinks that Oracle can accomplish anything competently 

5 minutes ago, Washpark said:

Oracle can't meet the specs / requirements to win the contract.

Y'all think any of that matters?

Did you not get the "Literally NOTHING FUCKING MATTERS ANYMORE" memo?  I could have sworn y'all's names were on the routing sheet....

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Y'all think any of that matters?

Did you not get the "Literally NOTHING FUCKING MATTERS ANYMORE" memo?  I could have sworn y'all's names were on the routing sheet....

Of course it doesn't matter but lol Oracle. Oracle probably has more lawyers than engineers at this point. They certainly have more competent lawyers than competent engineers at this point.

48 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Back to Gowdy's book. What's unlikely about a friendship between two South Carolina Republicans? Hmmmm. How are they different?

Really stupid tagline considering the image.

5abd585a8a3db.image.jpg

This looks like a stupid fucking book.  Two Republicans talking about how everyone needs to be more bipartisan and one of them ran multiple Benghazi hearings.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

The China tariffs are a bit crazy. When he first announced this plan, the general sentiment was that it shouldn’t be imposed on every country, but only the countries that were problematic in trade. The general belief, as I understood it, was that these tariffs should’ve been primarily against countries like China. Now China is taking the bandwagon-opportunity to hit back. Would it have played out differently if Trump had taken a more measured approach and only imposed tariffs on countries like China? I guess there’s no way to know, but this doesn’t really seem like it’s going to work out well.

Here is an informative article from The Economist that addresses your questions. Basically, the United States has a legitimate gripe against China and so does Europe, Japan, South Korea, etc... However, rather than address our problems pragmatically with the assistance of a multilateral approach, Trump has dissed our partners, burned the WTO (how these issues are addressed) and decided to just take a last resort option (tarrifs) and go after China alone.

Essentially Trump has ripped out all of the safety features and is going full speed ahead with this confrontation with China.

https://www.economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21739726-it-undermining-rules-based-trade-order-and-could-start-series

• Like 1

1 minute ago, F250 said:

Here is an informative article from The Economist that addresses your questions. Basically, the United States has a legitimate gripe against China and so does Europe, Japan, South Korea, etc... However, rather than address our problems pragmatically with the assistance of a multilateral approach, Trump has dissed our partners, burned the WTO (how these issues are addressed) and decided to just take a last resort option (tarrifs) and go after China alone.

Essentially Trump has ripped out all of the safety features and is going full speed ahead with this confrontation with China.

https://www.economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21739726-it-undermining-rules-based-trade-order-and-could-start-series

And yet again, for the billionth time, the Economist nails it.

Trump spots an issue (trade imbalance/other trade problem with China)....and approaches it like he does everything - as a bloviating dick-measuring contest.

Congrats for realizing that there's a fire, DOTUS.  But your plan to yell at the fire while you throw gasoline on it is pretty fucking stupid.

14 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

As clearly stated in report, I am not under investigation because there was NO COLLUSION and I have agreed to meet with Mueller team this afternoon to answer questions in order to quickly conclude the investigation so we can get to work MAKING AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! 

Man , that's like landshark knocking at the door saying, "Candygram!"

Trump is dumb enough to fall for it.

• Like 1

McMasters speech is nice but it just makes it more obvious there is something bad going on with Putin and Trump. The idea that we have to have to prove collusion is ridiculous. This is like have a blind guy guarding a bank and not firing him after a robbery.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

I think you’re right, but um, he’s talking about the midterms.  Haven’t they already had the primary?  I guess he is planning to write in Roy Moore.

Exactly. Goes back to my fat and lazy comment earlier. A vast majority of Americans don't know nor do they care to educate themselves about politics or anything really.

The likely result in Oklahoma will be that when the midterms rill around this year and he realizes that it's the incumbent who screwed him and his fellow teachers over v the damn librul Democrat, he will still vote R.

As an aside, why in the fuck do we allow judges to run as a member of a political party? 

1 hour ago, yaqdum said:

my great suspicion is this mentality was not created by rush, fox news, &c.  it has existed for centuries in a subset of our population.  what is new is those creeps and their rooskie overlords figuring out how to tap into the craziness.  i've seen exactly what we are describing all my long life.  you just have to know where to look and realize what it means.

We will need to confirm with Army Brat if this has indeed been going on for centuries. I can only comment on the last few decades.

They do have a tribe but it's certainly not a tribe for "fiscal restraint."  The tea party movement was never about fiscal responsibility and conservative economic policy is deeply unpopular.  That's why the GOP does all they can to keep everyone focused on the culture war and external boogeymen.  
Conservative economic policy is the exact problem in Oklahoma.

Kansas would like to also check in with that.

It's a failed policy

Conservative talk radio and FoxNews drew the battle lines for the last 20 years. It cuts both ways though. Both sides think that the other side is getting something over on them. If you're a D, you're programmed to think that the D leadership is weak-kneed and that the Rs get away with everything, and vice versa. Just my  perspective, but it seems that the Rs suffer a little more from this inferiority complex, and they seem to buy in more to their leadership being feckless.
Now that the Rs have a party leader in DOTUS who will own the libs all the time, it's all out war, and they will support him no matter what b/c it's payback time. The same will go for the next D president and the next D house & senate leaders.

The old both sides perspective.