Minneapolis Cop Murders A Black Man

HenryJames

32 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

It'll come down to the functionality of the taser after being fired twice. 

It will come down to whether the officer objectively felt he was in immediate fear of death or serious injury -  whether his shooting the fleeing man was a use of force proportionate to the threat encountered -  and whether the officer acted reasonably under the circumstances.

I had a case where the judge found that an officer shooting my client with a taser dart - which was admitted to have occurred - was not a serious enough injury to constitute a cause of action.   Granted, it was state court, but that tells you the nature of a taser.  It was hardly deadly.  I argued that a projectile in the eye was a possibility, but I got no traction.  My client was hit in the upper torso.

If the cop kicked him after he shot him in the back twice, I think you can make a good argument that it was a contempt of cop death, and that the cop's fear of injury was not the thing that  motivated him firing his weapon.   Looks like it was more his anger at having his taser stolen - and that the drunk who stole it was putting distance between them as he ran.      

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

It will come down to whether the officer objectively felt he was in immediate fear of death or serious injury -  whether his shooting the fleeing man was a use of force proportionate to the threat encountered -  and whether the officer acted reasonably under the circumstances.

I had a case where the judge found that an officer shooting my client with a taser dart - which was admitted to have occurred - was not a serious enough injury to constitute a cause of action.   Granted, it was state court, but that tells you the nature of a taser.  It was hardly deadly.  I argued that a projectile in the eye was a possibility, but I got no traction.  My client was hit in the upper torso.

If the cop kicked him after he shot him in the back twice, I think you can make a good argument that it was a contempt of cop death, and that the cop's fear of injury was not the thing that  motivated him firing his weapon.   Looks like it was more his anger at having his taser stolen - and that the drunk who stole it was putting distance between them as he ran.      

Wasn’t it the other cop’s taser that was stolen?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Wasn’t it the other cop’s taser that was stolen?

Honestly, I was walking by the tv and heard part of a news conference by the DA.   I did not stop and listen, so if it was the other cop, then it is still contempt of cops for defying them and taking a taser.  Drunk punked, as it were.   If the cop who shot him kicked him after shooting him in the back, I think he is in trouble arguing his steely calm cop decision that others were in danger.    "I got him!"   Fuck that cop.  I hope they find a use for his sphincter in prison. 

• Like 1

philadelphia_arson_protest.0.jpg

FBI used Instagram, an Etsy review, and LinkedIn to identify a protestor accused of arson

It took an Etsy review, a LinkedIn profile, a handful of Instagram videos, and a few Google searches for FBI agents to identify a masked woman accused of setting two police cars on fire during recent protests in Philadelphia. The protests took place on May 30 in response to the police killing of George Floyd.

The case, as reported by The Philadelphia Inquirer, demonstrates how police have been able to use social media and other publicly-available online records to identify protesters from just a few scraps of initial information. According to NBC, the individual charged by the FBI, 33-year-old Lore Elisabeth Blumenthal, now faces a mandatory minimum sentence of seven years in prison if convicted and a fine of up to $250,000.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I know some Navajo folks who are fans of the Redskins. Apparently they donated a bunch of money to their school.

22 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

But, we need to be offended. Who cares what Native Americans think?

Do you think that Native Americans want to be called that to their face? If any group accepted money from an NFL franchise, I think it's fair to say the source of their opinion is questionable at beat. Does anyone not think that if Washington/Snyder gives money to Native American causes, it's solely because he wants their support for his franchise name?

It's only a matter of time before they change their name. Maybe they survive this current round of social awareness of racist names, but there will be a future round where they don't. IF we have an NFL season, I think we're going to see Roger Goodell and perhaps every player kneeling during the anthem. Who thought that would happen as recently as a couple of months ago? One first step may be that the NFL removes the name and logo from their website including shops.

Teec Nos Pos isn't too far from there, is overwhelmingly Navajo, and their high school mascot is the Redskins. The term wasn't even used in a pejorative fashion until somewhere around the mid 1800's, most likely coinciding with the Indian wars. Prior to that, many (not all, we shouldn't fall into the trap of thinking of Native Americans as being some monolithic group) referred to themselves as red skins. Personally, I can't recall ever hearing the term Redskins being used in a pejorative fashion except maybe in old westerns. Words evolve over time, but they also reflect the attitudes of the people using them. While some Native Americans may not like the term, I don't see any convincing evidence that it is a racial slur in this day and age.

FBI used Instagram, an Etsy review, and LinkedIn to identify a protestor accused of arson

It took an Etsy review, a LinkedIn profile, a handful of Instagram videos, and a few Google searches for FBI agents to identify a masked woman accused of setting two police cars on fire during recent protests in Philadelphia. The protests took place on May 30 in response to the police killing of George Floyd.
The case, as reported by The Philadelphia Inquirer, demonstrates how police have been able to use social media and other publicly-available online records to identify protesters from just a few scraps of initial information. According to NBC, the individual charged by the FBI, 33-year-old Lore Elisabeth Blumenthal, now faces a mandatory minimum sentence of seven years in prison if convicted and a fine of up to $250,000.

Seinfeldshamepopcorn.gif
  • Like 4

https://www.dailywire.com/news/progressive-mayor-who-supported-black-lives-matter-gets-home-vandalized-during-riots-calls-it-domestic-terrorism

It’s all fun and protests until someone vandalized your home.

Olympia, Washington, Mayor Cheryl Selby has been a vocal supporter of Black Lives Matter and those protesting and rioting across the nation, yet when her own home was vandalized during the demonstrations, she called it “domestic terrorism.”

The Olympian reported late last week that “two groups converged in downtown Olympia, and some became destructive, burning flags, smashing windows, and spray painting businesses” before moving into Selby’s neighborhood and vandalizing her home.

One group, the outlet explained, comprised about 50 people wearing black to recreate a previous protest in the area. A second group was made up of about 30 people wearing neon-yellow T-shirts calling themselves the “peacekeepers” who cleaned up after the people in black.

“The black-clad group marched to City Hall before making its way through downtown Olympia. The protesters took trashcans and ‘ROAD WORK AHEAD’ signs from parking lots and sidewalks, dragging them into the streets and flipping them on their sides. The ‘peacekeepers’ then put them back while the other group heckled them,” the Olympian reported.

The group wearing black eventually marched in Selby’s South Capitol neighborhood. They chanted “abolish the police” outside her home while someone spray-painted “BLM” on her door and porch. A man nearby reportedly got the protesters to leave. When the group final did leave, they returned downtown, “spray painting store fronts, streets signs, lamp posts and sidewalks,” the outlet reported.

Neither Selby nor her family were home when the incident occurred, but she received texts from her neighbors about the vandalism.

“I’m really trying to process this,” she told the Olympian. “It’s like domestic terrorism. It’s unfair.”

“It hurts when you’re giving so much to your community,” she added.

Selby’s home, according to the outlet, also was targeted by protesters two years ago during a May Day protest. At that time, protesters chanted about her and passed out leaflets. Selby, a progressive Democrat being targeted by other progressives, said she worried for her neighbors, some of whom have small children that fear continued protests in their neighborhood.

“People have so little grace for each other right now. We need to have more grace,” Selby told the Olympian.

Selby sent KIRO 7 footage from her front porch surveillance camera and told them “It’s pretty traumatic when somebody comes to your home.”

The person who spray-painted Selby’s home had to find space on the wall, since Selby had a pride flag and a Black Lives Matter already posted outside her house.

Earlier this month, Selby released a statement supporting the protests and saying she would not institute a curfew, stating sympathy for the police-involved death of Minneapolis resident George Floyd, which sparked the protests and riots across the nation.

“Every day since his murder, our country has shaken,” Selby said, according to the Olympian. “Convulsing between fear, rage, and nausea. We should feel sick. Those of us who hold the most microphones in our communities should feel nauseous.”

• Like 3

How 'bout just being consistent

4 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

“Every day since his murder, our country has shaken,” Selby said, according to the Olympian. “Convulsing between fear, rage, and nausea. We should feel sick. Those of us who hold the most microphones in our communities should feel nauseous.”

How about just being consistent?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Latest I read suggests the taser was no longer functional because it had been fired twice. That's probably the biggest contributing factor to the murder charge.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/06/17/rayshard-brooks-garrett-rolfe-allegations-atlanta/3209036001/

Brooks made some extremely poor choices, but I still contend the officer murdered him up because the officer felt humiliated that Brooks had stolen his taser and gotten away.

Pretty sure he stole the other cop's taser.  I think the shooter still had his.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Teec Nos Pos isn't too far from there, is overwhelmingly Navajo, and their high school mascot is the Redskins. The term wasn't even used in a pejorative fashion until somewhere around the mid 1800's, most likely coinciding with the Indian wars. Prior to that, many (not all, we shouldn't fall into the trap of thinking of Native Americans as being some monolithic group) referred to themselves as red skins. Personally, I can't recall ever hearing the term Redskins being used in a pejorative fashion except maybe in old westerns. Words evolve over time, but they also reflect the attitudes of the people using them. While some Native Americans may not like the term, I don't see any convincing evidence that it is a racial slur in this day and age.

I always thought the Indians and Redskins name and logo were cool.  Never tied it to a perjorative.  Is it a case of certain people co-opting guilt on behalf of others - who dont GAF?

I am betting money this guy's tox screen shows he was on a hell of a lot more than alcohol.  His BAC was too low for him to be as fucked up as he was.  Passed out in a drive through.  Not knowing what city or county he was in.  Not knowing where he was staying that night.

14 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I always thought the Indians and Redskins name and logo were cool.  Never tied it to a perjorative.  Is it a case of certain people co-opting guilt on behalf of others - who dont GAF?

Historically, the term Redskins was used in a pejorative fashion, but I think that reflects the attitudes of the people using the word rather than any meaning they were trying to tie to the word. I think during that time period that any word used to refer to native americans would have carried the same vitriol. I've never heard anybody use it in that fashion in my life time, nor had I ever even had an idea that some people considered it racist until I was old enough to hear about this mascot tomfoolery. 

20 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I think it's a general move to not refer to anyone by the color of their skin regardless if individuals of that group are ok or indifferent to it. The Cleveland Indians retired the Chief Wahoo caricature as a logo in 2018. Their logo is now basically just a C.

I don't think these are cool. 

255px-Cleveland_Indians_logo.svg.png330px-Logo_of_the_Cleveland_Indians_(194

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

23 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I think it's a general move to not refer to anyone by the color of their skin regardless if individuals of that group are ok or indifferent to it. The Cleveland Indians retired the Chief Wahoo caricature as a logo in 2018. Their logo is now basically just a C.

I don't think these are cool. 

255px-Cleveland_Indians_logo.svg.png330px-Logo_of_the_Cleveland_Indians_(194

Wouldn't you need to put things into context before assuming offense (when lacking people actually taking offense)?  You can have a fun caricature, and you can have an unflattering caricature.  There has to be some subjectivity in it otherwise you risk a blanket ban on everything.

The one on the right I personally find unflattering and mocking, the one on the left as a kid I never thought to be intended to denigrate (not saying im an arbiter , but we can have opinions....)

Minnesota Vikings logo

Is this okay?  Scandinavians never wore horned helmets and aren't all brusque marauders....

10 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Honestly, I was walking by the tv and heard part of a news conference by the DA.   I did not stop and listen, so if it was the other cop, then it is still contempt of cops for defying them and taking a taser.  Drunk punked, as it were.   If the cop who shot him kicked him after shooting him in the back, I think he is in trouble arguing his steely calm cop decision that others were in danger.    "I got him!"   Fuck that cop.  I hope they find a use for his sphincter in prison. 

Wow. I’m glad you’re a public defender instead of a judge. No wonder cops are quitting left and right.

This dude tried to shoot the cop in the face with the taser, but missed above his head. Now he’s facing life in prison or - I’ve heard - the death penalty. If we are going to sacrifice cops at the alter of radical leftism, good luck getting them to respond or act to any situation where we need help. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Wouldn't you need to put things into context before assuming offense (when lacking people actually taking offense)?  You can have a fun caricature, and you can have an unflattering caricature.  There has to be some subjectivity in it otherwise you risk a blanket ban on everything.

The one on the right I personally find unflattering and mocking, the one on the left as a kid I never thought to be intended to denigrate (not saying im an arbiter , but we can have opinions....)

Minnesota Vikings logo

Is this okay?  Scandinavians never wore horned helmets and aren't all brusque marauders....

See this is an okay ethnic to use. Didn't you read the pamphlet at birth?

Wow. I’m glad you’re a public defender instead of a judge. No wonder cops are quitting left and right.
This dude tried to shoot the cop in the face with the taser, but missed above his head. Now he’s facing life in prison or - I’ve heard - the death penalty. If we are going to sacrifice cops at the alter of radical leftism, good luck getting them to respond or act to any situation where we need help. 

He shot a guy in the back who was running away from him - then allegedly kicked him as he lay on the ground instead of rendering aid after he shot him in the back.

Fuck him. And I was not a public defender. I sued lying cops who killed people in bad shoots. Every one was a coverup by cops. Every one.
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Lulz at “altar of radical leftism.” stop being such a drama queen when cops have literally gotten away with murder for decades. 
I’m perfectly fine with cops quitting when they see justice applied to them. We’ll lose a hell of a lot more bad cops than good cops through that.

And you can chill about life in prison or death penalty. All we have so far is a desperate DA trying to score political points by bringing a plethora of charges. He’s still a long, long way from seeing any form of conviction for this. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lulz at “altar of radical leftism.” stop being such a drama queen when cops have literally gotten away with murder for decades. 
I’m perfectly fine with cops quitting when they see justice applied to them. We’ll lose a hell of a lot more bad cops than good cops through that.

This.  I mean, step back and take it in.

We live in a country where imposing the condition of "you may face legal consequences if you kill someone" = an unacceptable condition of employment.  That's pretty fucking amazing.  Do we really want to employ a bunch of people who think "no fucking WAY will I do that job if you might hold me responsible for shooting the shit out of someone in violation of policy/the law!"?  Sounds to me like that would be a good weed-out question on hiring: "Do you think it's unreasonable for you to be held to the same Rule of Law as everyone else in the country?"  A "yes" gets your application deposited in the round file.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

He shot a guy in the back who was running away from him - then allegedly kicked him as he lay on the ground instead of rendering aid after he shot him in the back.

Fuck him. And I was not a public defender. I sued lying cops who killed people in bad shoots. Every one was a coverup by cops. Every one.

He did render aid. There is even audio of him encouraging the guy to “stay with me” or something to that effect. About the alleged kicking, the only thing I’ve seen is a still shot of him behind the DUI guy with his leg bent. The article had other videos, so why only show a still shot? That makes me suspicious that it could be like a photo of some guy staring at a woman’s breasts when he was just glancing by her (happens to me all the time). I’ll reserve judgement until I see the video.

Regarding cops covering for each other, the cop charged in this case has been reported to have previously testified against another cop who was accused of some sort of misconduct. That, plus his calm demeanor up until he was attacked indicates that he may be the type of cop we are all asking for. Now, the DA is pressuring cop 2 to turn on cop 1 in exchange for leniency and a low bond. I’m sure you’ve seen that game played a few hundred times.

I firmly believe leftist DAs are over-charging cops in the hope that they are acquitted because they want violent civil unrest. Civility won’t aid their agenda. I told my wife right after the George Floyd video that it looks like 3rd degree murder, which was the original charge. When it was changed to 2nd degree, it fit that narrative.

Since there seems to be plenty of video evidence, we should get a pretty clear picture of what actually happened. Until then, I won’t be rooting for vengeance.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

The DA in the Atlanta case is going forward with that case because of public pressure only.  There is no way in hell he is going to be able to get 12 people to agree to convict that officer after the scumbag fired a stolen taser at his face.  I heard someone close to the family of Brooks being interviewed on CNN and he said something to the effect that Brooks and his wife had obsessively watched the George Floyd video and he may have resisted and attempted to flee because he was afraid the cop would murder him while in custody. He didn't mention the fact that Brooks was on felony probation at the time and was fleeing because he didn't want to go back to the hole.  The 4 cops in the Floyd case need to rot in prison for the rest of their lives.  This case should probably be dismissed.    

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Lechuza said:

The DA in the Atlanta case is going forward with that case because of public pressure only.  There is no way in hell he is going to be able to get 12 people to agree to convict that officer after the scumbag fired a stolen taser at his face.  I heard someone close to the family of Brooks being interviewed on CNN and he said something to the effect that Brooks and his wife had obsessively watched the George Floyd video and he may have resisted and attempted to flee because he was afraid the cop would murder him while in custody. He didn't mention the fact that Brooks was on felony probation at the time and was fleeing because he didn't want to go back to the hole.  The 4 cops in the Floyd case need to rot in prison for the rest of their lives.  This case should probably be dismissed.    

And the DA is supposedly in a run-off election where he received fewer votes in the first vote. He’s fighting for his career, so  his finger is licked and in the air. 

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

So you think the cartoonish face that has red skin is less offensive than the one that doesn't? That's an interesting viewpoint.

I also loved the Chief Wahoo logo as a kid. Then I read and learned and stuff.

• Like 1

I firmly believe leftist DAs are over-charging cops in the hope that they are acquitted because they want violent civil unrest.

If it is a DA - it is overcharging. If you think this is a rare cop thing event, I’m not sure what to tell you. You see a cop shoot a guy in the back while running away and assume it a good shoot. I’m happy to disagree. Your gut first instinct is pro cop, while mine is not. So that’s fair. We’ll see.

19 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

There is even audio of him encouraging the guy to “stay with me” or something to that effect. About the alleged kicking, the only thing I’ve seen is a still shot of him behind the DUI guy with his leg bent. The article had other videos, so why only show a still shot? That makes me suspicious that it could be like a photo of some guy staring at a woman’s breasts when he was just glancing by her (happens to me all the time). I’ll reserve judgement until I see the video.

I firmly believe leftist DAs are over-charging cops in the hope that they are acquitted because they want violent civil unrest. Civility won’t aid their agenda. I told my wife right after the George Floyd video that it looks like 3rd degree murder, which was the original charge. When it was changed to 2nd degree, it fit that narrative.

Since there seems to be plenty of video evidence, we should get a pretty clear picture of what actually happened. Until then, I won’t be rooting for vengeance.

10 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

And the DA is supposedly in a run-off election where he received fewer votes in the first vote. He’s fighting for his career, so  his finger is licked and in the air. 

9 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Imiss came here with facts and logic.

Actually, he came in here openly admitting that he hasn't watched or read anything that he's opining on yet. He also has some fanciful theory that members of the establishment want civil unrest (which would unseat them as, you know, part of the establishment) that is clearly biasing every opinion he has. So while he has made up a reality in his head that makes his political opponents seem terrible, he implores others not to jump to conclusions about those who he thinks are on his side.

Not surprising that you'd confuse that with facts and logic.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

If it is a DA - it is overcharging. If you think this is a rare cop thing event, I’m not sure what to tell you. You see a cop shoot a guy in the back while running away and assume it a good shoot. I’m happy to disagree. Your gut first instinct is pro cop, while mine is not. So that’s fair. We’ll see.

Brooks was doing more than just running away.

2 hours ago, workswithseed said:

Selby, a progressive Democrat being targeted by other progressives, said she worried for her neighbors, some of whom have small children that fear continued protests in their neighborhood.

Well, dial 911 and get help from the police. 

On 2nd thought, don't. 

57 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

From the press conference yesterday I’m pretty sure the DA admitted that Brooks fired the taser at the officer. He pointed out the prongs of the taser above the cops head in the video.  This is after the DA was on TV saying that a taser is considered a deadly weapon under Georgia law. 

The link has video of when Brooks fires the taser at the cop.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/14/us/videos-rayshard-brooks-shooting-atlanta-police.html

Edited by EuroHorn

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Anybody heard anything coming down the pipe about national police walkout(s) or anything similar?

Are they walking off in honor of their fellow officer Breonna Taylor who was murdered in her home? Matter of fact, where is the Blue Lives Matter crowd in support of her?

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Actually, he came in here openly admitting that he hasn't watched or read anything that he's opining on yet. He also has some fanciful theory that members of the establishment want civil unrest (which would unseat them as, you know, part of the establishment) that is clearly biasing every opinion he has. So while he has made up a reality in his head that makes his political opponents seem terrible, he implores others not to jump to conclusions about those who he thinks are on his side.

I mean the fact that a picture isn't proof of any kick, and how it didn't proved anything.

You add the other stuff just to say I agreed with that, which is jumping to a conclusion. 

Then you try to demean me while I obviously wanted to play a song about Ben Shapiro and his "facts and logic" phrase.

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

Since there are so few shootings that have even the appearance of being unjustifiable, it is pretty rare (and becoming even rarer in recent years).  And I don’t know what makes you say I think it was a “good shot.”  Maybe it’s your mindset that makes you comment on him saying, “I got him.”  That can be taken any number of ways, not all being sinister.

I heard a study early this month that analyzed police misconduct complaints. I think it was from NYC, but I may be mistaken. It found that 1% of cops were responsible for over 40% of the complaints. A significant percentage have no complaints. So, taking 1 out of 100 cops off the street would result in complaints dropping by almost half. Just think what taking 2 or 3 out of 100 would a accomplish  

The problem may actually be a few rotten apples combined with the fact that all professions (with help from their unions) do a piss poor job of disciplining their own. That is true of doctors and nurses all the way down to lawyers and carnival operators. 

So the fuck what? Was that enough to shoot him in the back after he wildly fired a taser while running away?

That is the question - the reasonableness of that use of his weapon under the totality of the circumstances. We’ll see.

3 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Anybody heard anything coming down the pipe about national police walkout(s) or anything similar?

Shouldn't be a concern as long as social workers are fully staffed

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Wow.  I was hoping to see a year or so.  But 7 years in the cage?   Holy shit. 

Have fun, Lore.   

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

If that’s me you’re referring to, I’ve read and seen plenty. I’m just acknowledging that sometimes it’s my recollection because I’m too lazy to post a link on everything I say It’s also to acknowledge that everyone seems to have an agenda, so most of what is put out there has some bias attached.

And yes, it is possible that someone in power can have an agenda that might make them vulnerable. They are hedging their bets that the social and media climate will save them. The DA in Atlanta might believe that his only chance of surviving is to charge the cop with murder. If there is an acquittal, he already won his re-election and might survive because at least he tried. Then there are DAs like the one in Philadelphia....

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I object.  I have normal sized hands, and do not smell of cabbage (I mean, not often).

Garlic 

1 minute ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

If that’s me you’re referring to, I’ve read and seen plenty. I’m just acknowledging that sometimes it’s my recollection because I’m too lazy to post a link on everything I say It’s also to acknowledge that everyone seems to have an agenda, so most of what is put out there has some bias attached.

And yes, it is possible that someone in power can have an agenda that might make them vulnerable. They are hedging their bets that the social and media climate will save them. The DA in Atlanta might believe that his only chance of surviving is to charge the cop with murder. If there is an acquittal, he already won his re-election and might survive because at least he tried. Then there are DAs like the one in Philadelphia....

He just wanted to kick the dumb kid in class.