Minneapolis is Burning

F250

16 minutes ago, Pancho said:

About 20,000 out at Discovery Green for the March. They will March to city hall where members of Floyd’s family’s will speak. 

being covered live on every station I blouson except CBS

You know what makes that scene extra-Houston-fantastic?  The collection of black trail riders showing up on horseback.  Just awesome.  Sends a subtle message underneath that they've been here and part of our culture for long damned time.  They've been waiting for justice and fairness since the time we all rode horses.  About damned time they get it.

• Like 3

Just now, Brisketexan said:

You know what makes that scene extra-Houston-fantastic?  The collection of black trail riders showing up on horseback.  Just awesome.  Sends a subtle message underneath that they've been here and part of our culture for long damned time.  They've been waiting for justice and fairness since the time we all rode horses.  About damned time they get it.

Friend in Dallas just asked on Twitter about that.

should be noted HPD just communicated this event was supposed to be 20,000-30,000 but it’s going to far surpass that number.

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Friend in Dallas just asked on Twitter about that.

should be noted HPD just communicated this event was supposed to be 20,000-30,000 but it’s going to far surpass that number.

Good.  I hope that it remains peaceful, and that the community's voice is heard.  This is part of how change comes about.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Seeing Chauvin's booking photos, can't help but think of this scene....

giphy.gif

I mean....what kind of life does he have left in front of him?   Do any of you think he will possibly offer genuine contrition and seek redemption and healing?  If he does, God bless him.  But I've long since stopped having any faith in my fellow man.

What kind of life does he have left in front of him?  In this timeline I am guessing the all white jury votes him innocent on all charges.  He then gets a show on Fox News where he can discuss how important law and order is for this country, then he ends up serving as the Attorney General in the second term for the Trump administration.  

• Like 3

Just now, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

What kind of life does he have left in front of him?  In this timeline I am guessing the all white jury votes him innocent on all charges.  He then gets a show on Fox News where he can discuss how important law and order is for this country, then he ends up serving as the Attorney General in the second term for the Trump administration.  

I hate you....for being right.

In my neck of the woods, the neighborhood Facebook group (mostly old and white) were all in fear because of a post that there was going to be a Black Lives Matter protest at the local police substation about 2 miles from our neighborhood. Posts of "be prepared" and "just in case bad things happen". It was a peaceful protest of local Lake Highlands High School students of all races who marched from the substation to White Rock Lake.

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Seeing Chauvin's booking photos, can't help but think of this scene....

giphy.gif

I mean....what kind of life does he have left in front of him?   Do any of you think he will possibly offer genuine contrition and seek redemption and healing?  If he does, God bless him.  But I've long since stopped having any faith in my fellow man.

Well, he doesn't have to worry about his Aryan Brotherhood application getting rejected. So there's that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

After the jury lets him off then we will really see some good riots and looting.  

On a related note, does anyone else think the prosecutors are waiting on the riots to run out of steam before announcing they won't be charging the other 3 cops? I feel like they'd have been charged by now if they were going to. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DigDug said:

You could also make a good argument that all of the soldier reunions with family at football games were huge political stunts.  The NFL was paid a lot of money by the US Army to put on these theatrical presentations. 
When you realize they were just planned advertisements, it takes a lot of the shine off of it.

I just don't get the weird notion that a personal, emotional moment or event is somehow improved by thousands or millions of strangers watching it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HiggyBaby said:

SIAP, I’m rarely on this board. My $0.02. You can’t eradicate racism. You can however identify, uproot and defeat institutionalized racism. Start with reining in the police unions and getting rid of qualified immunity. Then maybe we can say we accomplished something with these protests.

I’ll see my way out of CR now...

Sounds good. How do you get the politicians and president to enact the legislation to do it?

36 minutes ago, AbeFroman said:

He looks like a very proud boy.

I don't want him raped or beaten by other prisoners, but I would like for him to experience the non-physical rage of the other inmates. How many times did he lie to send someone to prison never dreaming his own crimes would land him there himself? 

If we had the death penalty, I would support him dying exactly like his victim once he is convicted. I have no pity or empathy for this vile enemy of the state.

17 minutes ago, mdmost said:

In my neck of the woods, the neighborhood Facebook group (mostly old and white) were all in fear because of a post that there was going to be a Black Lives Matter protest at the local police substation about 2 miles from our neighborhood. Posts of "be prepared" and "just in case bad things happen". It was a peaceful protest of local Lake Highlands High School students of all races who marched from the substation to White Rock Lake.

Damn, missed it.  I hope they did some dancing like John Wiley Price used to there on the median at Audelia and NW Highway!

12 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I don't want him raped or beaten by other prisoners, but I would like for him to experience the non-physical rage of the other inmates. How many times did he lie to send someone to prison never dreaming his own crimes would land him there himself? 

If we had the death penalty, I would support him dying exactly like his victim once he is convicted. I have no pity or empathy for this vile enemy of the state.

I don't support rape on anyone for anything.  Buy if he gets his ass beaten on a regular basis....Donald Glover Reaction GIF

• Like 2

Tapa
f5912a8529580f91f8b541b1d992f8fe.jpg
  • Like 8

47 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Good.  I hope that it remains peaceful, and that the community's voice is heard.  This is part of how change comes about.

the change could come about but they need to keep this up for as long as it takes and make demands on Congress and the president to enact police reform immediately. Make clear the protests and disruption will not end until that happens. Make life absolutely 100% uncomfortable for Trump and the politicians every damn day

6 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Any of you catch the interview on MSNBC with Art Acevedo. Showed some video of him yelling in a crowd about "white skateboarders" and then interviewed him talking out of both sides of his mouth about police brutality etc

Acevedo is a total POS Liar and seeing him trying to act like he gives any fucks about police accountability made me ragey.

Acevedo's hard swerve to the left on coming to Houston was a savvy political move and it shows which of those two cities is truly the most "liberal."

• Like 1

GeorgeBush-660x330.jpg

Statement from George Bush  (How embarrassing is it for Trump to be schooled by George Bush on How to President??):

Laura and I are anguished by the brutal suffocation of George Floyd and disturbed by the injustice and fear that suffocate our country. Yet we have resisted the urge to speak out, because this is not the time for us to lecture. It is time for us to listen. It is time for America to examine our tragic failures – and as we do, we will also see some of our redeeming strengths.

It remains a shocking failure that many African Americans, especially young African American men, are harassed and threatened in their own country. It is a strength when protesters, protected by responsible law enforcement, march for a better future.

This tragedy — in a long series of similar tragedies — raises a long overdue question: How do we end systemic racism in our society? The only way to see ourselves in a true light is to listen to the voices of so many who are hurting and grieving. Those who set out to silence those voices do not understand the meaning of America — or how it becomes a better place.

America’s greatest challenge has long been to unite people of very different backgrounds into a single nation of justice and opportunity. The doctrine and habits of racial superiority, which once nearly split our country, still threaten our Union.

The answers to American problems are found by living up to American ideals — to the fundamental truth that all human beings are created equal and endowed by God with certain rights.

We have often underestimated how radical that quest really is, and how our cherished principles challenge systems of intended or assumed injustice. The heroes of America — from Frederick Douglass, to Harriet Tubman, to Abraham Lincoln, to Martin Luther King, Jr. — are heroes of unity.

Their calling has never been for the fainthearted. They often revealed the nation’s disturbing bigotry and exploitation — stains on our character sometimes difficult for the American majority to examine. We can only see the reality of America’s need by seeing it through the eyes of the threatened, oppressed, and disenfranchised.

That is exactly where we now stand. Many doubt the justice of our country, and with good reason. Black people see the repeated violation of their rights without an urgent and adequate response from American institutions.

We know that lasting justice will only come by peaceful means. Looting is not liberation, and destruction is not progress. But we also know that lasting peace in our communities requires truly equal justice. The rule of law ultimately depends on the fairness and legitimacy of the legal system. And achieving justice for all is the duty of all.

This will require a consistent, courageous, and creative effort. We serve our neighbors best when we try to understand their experience. We love our neighbors as ourselves when we treat them as equals, in both protection and compassion.

There is a better way — the way of empathy, and shared commitment, and bold action, and a peace rooted in justice. I am confident that together, Americans will choose the better way.

Minneapolis PD Lieutenant Bob Kroll was named defendant in a discrimination lawsuit brought by four black cops against the PD for discrimination. In their complaint, the plaintiffs demonstrated that the Lieutenant openly wore a “White Powerbadge” on his a motorcycle jacket. Kroll, who admits that he is sometimes called racist, but he rejects that particular characterization, has referred to the Black Lives Matter movement as a “terrorist organization.”

City cash settlement later, you can imagine how his police brothers felt that reflected on him and the entire Minneapolis PD for being a racist pos. Bad apple. It happens, but trust the process that has been implemented to discover, address, and punish as needed. The system eventually worked. What are you gonna do?

They elected him as their union president and serves as such even today. KKK cop is gonna defend George Floyd’s murderer. Because that’s the way these racist cops want it.

That’s not entirely true. They neither want nor expect to be charged at all.

• Like 1