Minneapolis is Burning

F250

5 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

So let’s bring race back into the equation.

We have documented incidents of white cops being racist and killing unarmed black men. As a result, the prevailing thought is that all cops are bad and white people are racist. At best, SOME cops are good, based on personal interactions or family relations.

We have documented incidents of black people acting like violent criminals. Yet, the same transitive properties don’t apply. We don’t label all black people as bad based on the actions of some. We accept that, on a whole, black people are unfairly treated based on the actions of the minority of the population. This is a broad stroke applied that doesn’t necessarily have the benefit of personal interactions or family relations.

This seems hypocritical and an argument based on emotion.

I believe the reason we are in this situation is because a not insignificant percentage of white Americans, and definitely a far too significant percentage of white cops, do believe all or most black people are criminals. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

This is the fucking mindfuckingly frustrating thing.  There is literally an existing, well-known playbook for accomplishing those listed goals.  It's right there in the post.  These chiefs didn't just come up with this off the cuff.  It's been out there and known for decades.

So in the cities that are seeing some of the worst clashes, a good bit of that is because the PD chose NOT to follow this playbook.  Instead, they thought it more important to flex, and provoke, and pick the fight. 

It's just so utterly goddamned stupid.

But, that's our brand.  And goddamit, we stick to our brand.

• Like 1

Jesse Owens foiled Adolph Hitler's dream of Germany dominating the 1936 Olympic track events by simply being black and fast.  Tommie Smith and John Carlos brought great attention (and significant blowback)  by calling attention to civil rights issues.  Somehow, these are not examples of politics and sports mixing with any positive outcome down the road.

John_Carlos%2C_Tommie_Smith%2C_Peter_Norman_1968cr.jpg

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

yeah, honestly have never understood this tradition.

As I recall the tradition started at a baseball game during WWI, it may have been the Ken Burns documentary I saw it on but it explained how the tradition came about as an accident. Due to the crowds response it became a repeated practice until it spread across the league and a 100 years later it's an expected custom.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This is the fucking mindfuckingly frustrating thing.  There is literally an existing, well-known playbook for accomplishing those listed goals.  It's right there in the post.  These chiefs didn't just come up with this off the cuff.  It's been out there and known for decades.

So in the cities that are seeing some of the worst clashes, a good bit of that is because the PD chose NOT to follow this playbook.  Instead, they thought it more important to flex, and provoke, and pick the fight. 

I believe it is known as the one law.  It's a beautiful law.

22 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Jesse Owens foiled Adolph Hitler's dream of Germany dominating the 1936 Olympic track events by simply being black and fast

I think if he were Jewish and fast that it also would have worked out similarly.

58 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

If you don't want to mix politics and sports, quit playing the national anthem before sporting events. 

We can't even get rid of God Bless America during the 7th inning stretch and that only started after 9/11.  And stop putting your hand over your heart for it; it's not the national anthem.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yes, right-wing America's tolerance of a black man kneeling on a football field tells us exactly how willing they are to compromise.

Shut the fuck up, EMAW.

I'm glad this contrast keeps coming up. It's perfect.

41 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It’s pretty fucking ironic that protests about police violence are being met with extreme use of force/violence by the police 

43 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

gosh, this sounds so familiar. Where else have I heard this recently?.....

• Like 5

I haven't been on the board much, and haven't looked at this thread at all.

But, I gotta tell y'all that the GF's son just got called up by his guard unit for riot duty.  His AIR NATIONAL GUARD unit.  He's a fucking avionics guy, and he's fired a gun exactly 1 time in his life, in boot camp, over 10 years ago.  He's about 30, and he's soft.   He's a nice guy, but he's scared shitless and has no business whatsoever guarding anything.  Giving him and guys like him guns is a really bad idea.  

• Like 1

Just now, Gil Bang said:

But, I gotta tell y'all that the GF's son just got called up by his guard unit for riot duty.  His AIR NATIONAL GUARD unit.  He's a fucking avionics guy, and he's fired a gun exactly 1 time in his life, in boot camp, over 10 years ago.  He's about 30, and he's soft.   He's a nice guy, but he's scared shitless and has no business whatsoever guarding anything.  Giving him and guys like him guns is a really bad idea.  

No, that works out perfectly.  See, "REALLY BAD IDEA" is our brand now.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Tell him to always assume it's loaded.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

It’s pretty fucking ironic that protests about police violence are being met with extreme use of force/violence by the police 

I'd say it's the opposite of irony. It's confirming what most already knew: that a large percentage of cops are little dicked losers who have no self-restraint or honor. 

• Like 1

SIAP, I’m rarely on this board. My $0.02. You can’t eradicate racism. You can however identify, uproot and defeat institutionalized racism. Start with reining in the police unions and getting rid of qualified immunity. Then maybe we can say we accomplished something with these protests.

I’ll see my way out of CR now...

• Like 6

Time and place for everything.  You don't fart in church.  Politics and sports don't mix.  He was welcome to kneel down in front of San Francisco City Hall anytime he wanted to.  Plus he wasn't kneeling on a football field, he was kneeling on a football field during the playing of the national anthem.  Again, you don't fart in church and you don't scratch your ass when the choir is singing.
This Sunday during mass I'll be dropping a silent one with your name on it.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Royalfan5 said:

Good thing Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier wasn't political at all, or Jack Johnson becoming heavyweight champion of the world, then being hounded for it. If you want to bring up the Olympics, what do you the motives of Baron de Courbertin were with the attempts to restart the games? You don't think politics played a major part in that?

You could also make a good argument that all of the soldier reunions with family at football games were huge political stunts.  The NFL was paid a lot of money by the US Army to put on these theatrical presentations. 
When you realize they were just planned advertisements, it takes a lot of the shine off of it.

• Like 9

Just now, DigDug said:

You could also make a good argument that all of the soldier reunions with family at football games were huge political stunts.  The NFL was paid a lot of money by the US Army to put on these theatrical presentations. 
When you realize they were just planned advertisements, it takes a lot of the shine off of it.

you know what always bothers me about these?  the returning soldier was probably kept away from their family for an extra night for the publicity stunt.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

you know what always bothers me about these?  the returning soldier was probably kept away from their family for an extra night for the publicity stunt.

I can tell you this, when I was coming back from deployment the last thing I wanted to do was keep my family in the dark, especially my two young daughters.

And I certainly didn’t want to trick them in to some public attention grab that I didn’t know if they were comfortable with.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, DigDug said:

You could also make a good argument that all of the soldier reunions with family at football games were huge political stunts.

stunts don't have to be bad by definition.  staged events can be fine.  just so happens that yesterday's was a miserable attempt at a positive political stunt and he had to hurt people to do it.

11 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

stunts don't have to be bad by definition.  staged events can be fine.  just so happens that yesterday's was a miserable attempt at a positive political stunt and he had to hurt people to do it.

I get it, but my post was in response to Emaw saying you don’t have political stunts at sporting events, when the league itself is sponsoring exactly that.

32 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

nsiap...

Seeing Chauvin's booking photos, can't help but think of this scene....

giphy.gif

I mean....what kind of life does he have left in front of him?   Do any of you think he will possibly offer genuine contrition and seek redemption and healing?  If he does, God bless him.  But I've long since stopped having any faith in my fellow man.

6 minutes ago, DigDug said:

I get it, but my post was in response to Emaw saying you don’t have political stunts at sporting events, when the league itself is sponsoring exactly that.

yeah, and my response wasn't really directed at you, just the easiest to quote.

we're making the same argument.