OU Recruiting 2022: Abnormal Mutations in OUDNA

texifornia

25 minutes ago, leaf said:

I have to give credit to Vic for that picture.  It is from the dumbass shit on Facebook thread.

We don't need to see Vic's latest catch. 

EDIT: nevermind, forgot what thread I was in. This one is disposable. Carry on. 

Edited by Bevo14
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

You can always tell when a development has struck a nerve with the OU cabal. Just know that it’s not anger with Texas fans, it’s them recognizing the roller coaster reached the peak and it’s only down from here.

I can’t even begin to count how many times I’ve read this exact statement over the years. Texas fans predicting the OU roller coaster reaching the top while standing in line to buy the photos from the drop. 

10 hours ago, Constant said:

I can’t even begin to count how many times I’ve read this exact statement over the years. Texas fans predicting the OU roller coaster reaching the top while standing in line to buy the photos from the drop. 

I agree with this sentiment.  However, we've seen Valai coach CBs up close.  It ain't good, bruh.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Constant said:

Do you think its better than a linebacker coaching CB’s? You gotta realize how low the bar is. 

He's gonna be near that bar. That dude fucking sucked here and he sucked at Bama.  Maybe Venables makes it work but, as an individual coach, Valai sucks.

2 minutes ago, Constant said:

Do you think its better than a linebacker coaching CB’s? You gotta realize how low the bar is. 

Maybe. Good thing for us, you can't answer that question and must wait to find out. I hope it's a spectacular fail but he'll replace Bennie as a hype machine that will do push-ups with his shitty players.

7 minutes ago, Constant said:

I dont know, do you think it's better than a guy who played safety in college and was a personal trainer before trying to get into coaching? I'd argue that LB coach isn't much different.

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

I dont know, do you think it's better than a guy who played safety in college and was a personal trainer before trying to get into coaching? I'd argue that LB coach isn't much different.

Well, I’d argue I watched the other guy do it for four years and I’m pretty sure my dead grandmother would be an upgrade. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Constant said:

Yeaaaahhh.. but you have to admit this is different. There is zero chance you guys are not taking a big step back. You still have the new car smell, but in this case the smell is raccoon urine and the car is a Pontiac Aztek. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Constant said:

Well, I’d argue I watched the other guy do it for four years and I’m pretty sure my dead grandmother would be an upgrade. 

Did you watch the NC game where someone named Stetson Bennett made Ala-fucking-bama CBs look like UT CBs? Maybe you'll have your preference, but it'll likely be the same as trying to decide between burning to death or being mauled by a bear.

2 minutes ago, hook me said:

Did you watch the NC game where someone named Stetson Bennett made Ala-fucking-bama CBs look like UT CBs? Maybe you'll have your preference, but it'll likely be the same as trying to decide between burning to death or being mauled by a bear.

I'm sure he's just convinced that the talent level at CB up in Norman is vastly superior to the CB talent over in Tuscaloosa. It's the only explanation. 

12 minutes ago, hook me said:

I'd take mauled by a bear every single day. I'd choose just about any death - outside of a prolonged torture like Marcellus Wallace inflicted on the rapists - than burning alive. 

7 minutes ago, kilroydos said:

It's worth mentioning that Manning won't be coaching DBs at USC under the same Coordinator and Head Coach.  Even they know he was not right for that job, which begs the question of why they let him do it for so long in Norman.

What's he coaching?

21 minutes ago, Getafix said:

image.thumb.png.75cd19c3e840f3a41ccea975da8efed3.png

GA seems like a fit. 

25 minutes ago, quigley said:

Makes a lot more sense. Who did they get for CB? I was hoping OU was angling for Clinkscale from Michigan.

What's Odom doing (doubt he's there for long)?

Odom is there with a clenched jaw until he finds a job with equal pay scale.

Edited by Constant
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, quigley said:

At some point I knew this, but it seems my interest in SC is already waning. Good luck to them and move on.

I know I'm going to have a quiet chuckle when they lose a game they shouldn't, but I think just about every fan feels that way about other teams.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Constant said:

Thought for sure he’d announce on championship Monday so it’s talked about on all the shows leading into the game. Classes started on the 10th at USC so not sure how all this works. 

1) Is USC on the Quarter system?

2) If “yes”, is Spring Practice during the 2nd quarter?

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Sunshine from OU247

Got a reasonably insightful notes dump for y’all on this Thursday evening, but first, I want to share the sum of several conversations I had earlier in the week at the AFCA coaches’ convention. Hundreds of coaches from both the high school and collegiate level were in attendance, from Craig Bohl to James Kilian, so Brandon and I feverishly made the rounds over the couple of days we had to work with.

— The consensus opinion in the coaching world seems to be that Oklahoma is in a better place with Brent Venables at the helm than they were with Lincoln Riley calling the shots. Not a terribly groundbreaking revelation, but that should provide confirmation that it’s not just sunshine pumping from Norman.

— I conversed with several coaches about the Caleb Williams situation, and one coach in particular brought up a school that hasn’t been mentioned a whole heck of a lot throughout the ordeal.

“Want to know which school makes a lot of sense? Wisconsin,” the coach told me. “They always have an outstanding offensive line, their defense is solid, and Paul Chryst is sneaky good with quarterbacks.”

Just figured I’d pass that along; take it for what it’s worth. Obviously, it looks like the longest of long shots that Williams would end up in Madison, but after his USC visit came and passed without an announcement, who knows at this point where Superman could end up?

— One thing that surprised me: Ted Roof has a pretty solid reputation as a recruiter, at least amongst his peers. I had several coaches praise Roof’s hiring to me, furthermore expressing that he’s a capable defensive mind and not necessarily the marionette Old Guy that some fans have made him out to be. Again, I’m just regurgitating what I was told, but there was plenty of respect shelled out for Roof over the course of those conversations.

That's some Texags level propaganda right there.  Wow... It's a coaching world CONSENSUS that Venables > Riley.  A consensus yall.  We're fucked.  And Roof is great too!

Edited by RabidM

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Sunshine from OU247

Got a reasonably insightful notes dump for y’all on this Thursday evening, but first, I want to share the sum of several conversations I had earlier in the week at the AFCA coaches’ convention. Hundreds of coaches from both the high school and collegiate level were in attendance, from Craig Bohl to James Kilian, so Brandon and I feverishly made the rounds over the couple of days we had to work with.

— The consensus opinion in the coaching world seems to be that Oklahoma is in a better place with Brent Venables at the helm than they were with Lincoln Riley calling the shots. Not a terribly groundbreaking revelation, but that should provide confirmation that it’s not just sunshine pumping from Norman.

— I conversed with several coaches about the Caleb Williams situation, and one coach in particular brought up a school that hasn’t been mentioned a whole heck of a lot throughout the ordeal.

“Want to know which school makes a lot of sense? Wisconsin,” the coach told me. “They always have an outstanding offensive line, their defense is solid, and Paul Chryst is sneaky good with quarterbacks.”

Just figured I’d pass that along; take it for what it’s worth. Obviously, it looks like the longest of long shots that Williams would end up in Madison, but after his USC visit came and passed without an announcement, who knows at this point where Superman could end up?

— One thing that surprised me: Ted Roof has a pretty solid reputation as a recruiter, at least amongst his peers. I had several coaches praise Roof’s hiring to me, furthermore expressing that he’s a capable defensive mind and not necessarily the marionette Old Guy that some fans have made him out to be. Again, I’m just regurgitating what I was told, but there was plenty of respect shelled out for Roof over the course of those conversations.

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

10 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Whatever 995 dirttard wrote that it's just a shame he couldn't even jot down a few anonymous quotes let alone get anyone to go on the record. Making up his own quotes would've been way more work than just claiming "consensus."

(Dart, Trigg, Sanders, others.)

DrummBeat: Friday Notes (UPDATE 738 pm)

Brandon Drumm

Spoiler

DrummBeat: Friday Notes (UPDATE 738 pm)

Brandon Drumm

Update 738 pm:

*** I’m told Jaxson Dart and Mike Trigg are supposed to be leaving for Memphis tomorrow morning and then being picked up to visit Ole Miss.

Because of that, I would temper the excitement on the duo so far. I don’t know if that means Ole Miss will be the pick in the end, and I’m not ready to say that, but we are still digging and trying to get some updates on the situation.

As we said in the first note, Dart and Trigg seem to be enjoying their time. They have been in Norman for nearly two days by the time their trip ends tomorrow, so if nothing else, the Sooners put in a ton of work and did all they could.

I am told LSU and TCU seem to be out. At least, that’s the latest I’m told.

We will have more once we get extra info.

*** The visit with LB transfer Drew Sanders went “as good as it could have,” according to what I heard today.

Should be in Austin tonight. Was in Norman yesterday evening and most of today, from what I gathered .

Should have a better feel for where things truly are after Sanders trip to Austin.

*** First, we will talk about transfer Jaxson Dart and Mike Trigg.

I’m told the two have enjoyed the trip and Trigg himself even checked in and told me that the trip is “going great.”

The transfer TE also confirmed that he was still on campus, so obviously he and Dart have yet to leave OU yet.

Why is that significant? Well, there is some buzz that the Ole Miss trip may not happen and TCU and LSU are trying to make a run a both. How much validity there is in that is something I’m working on, but I can say that there is some hesitation from Ole Miss sources right now.

Now, does that mean they won’t make it to Oxford? I’m not close to saying that just yet, but the fact there is growing optimism in Norman, along with TCU and LSU trying to be the last visit this weekend now, leads me to at least consider that as a possibility with the Ole Miss potentially not getting a visit.

We are gonna keep working on this and following it, but this has been quite the wild ride.

We will update you all once I get more, as Trigg is supposed to reach out to me to talk about the visit. Fingers crossed that happens and we can ge some quotes.

*** As you all saw, Sooners landed Tulane DL transfer Jeffrey Johnson.

What a get. LSU was pressing hard. He was also supposed to visit Michigan and USC, but his whole family made the trip to OU and Coach Todd Bates was one of the main reasons that commitment took place.

Funny thing, I was writing that OU felt good about the visit when this all went down. We will see what Missouri DL transfer Mekhi Wingo does now. He is visiting OU right now as we speak.

NOTE: Wingo was at LSU earlier today and headed to OU now, I’m told. Wanted to update that.

More notes later on.

113 upvotes

Drumm, Sat 7:22 pm update.  Whole load of crap, on a bunch of folks.

Spoiler

UPDATE 722 pm:

*** Okay, we will start with Jaxson Dart and Michael Trigg. I briefly exchanged messages with Trigg today and he spoke about his time at OU saying, "It was great. I loved it," Trigg said. Trigg and Dart spent two days in Norman and from what I have been told, this visit was as good as one could go. Trigg seemed to say so above and even added that he learned a lot from Coach Brent Venables and TE coach Joe Jon Finley, saying, "Coach Venables and coach Joe Jon were talking to me about how they were going to use me. I really liked that Coach V was talking to me on a personal level and it really hit home. I love the type of person he is. He is definitely a coach I would love to play for."

The duo left Norman and OKC this morning and arrived at Ole Miss around midday today. From all accounts, Ole Miss seems to feel they are in a prime spot for the two and excited that they got the last visit.

Dart's mom was on the visit to OU, but the dad didn't get to be there due to "other obligations and work," I am told. Dart's father will be in Oxford later on tonight, according to David Johnson from our Ole Miss 247 site.

I don't know where the two will go, but I do know that Trigg really enjoyed his time in Norman and it seems like Dart did as well. However, in the end, most feel like Trigg will go where Dart does and if Dart feels the opportunity at Ole Miss is better, that is where they will end up. I know OU feels they put their best foot forward, but outside of that, I don't know how this one will end.

I know you all want more than that, but the Ole Miss board seems to feel like they are in a good spot, as well as sources feeling Oklahoma felt that way last night, so this is a recruitment that we will have to see how things go after the visits end.

*** Okay, so more on EDGE transfer Drew Sanders:

As you all have read, there is some buzz that OLB will be making a decision tonight. I told you all earlier that OU felt they were in a good spot heading into Sanders' Texas visit. Arkansas seemed to be the prime competition at that point, but I added that I thought Texas would make this difficult after Sanders made his visit there, too. In speaking with Texas sources, the Horns feel as if they put on a good show for Sanders and that the visit went well, but also told that UT didn't have a real feel for what Sanders would do. That was similar to Arkansas sources as well.

All that said, I don't know that anyone really knows what Sanders will do at the end. The only thing I can think of is the fact that earlier today, Venables and the OU staff tweeted out "#OUDNA" and Venables tweeted out his epic GIF that people use with a "lock" emoji. That was supposed to symbolize a commitment. With Cale Gundy tweeting "#OUDNA" with them, it gave me some intrigue that it might be Sanders, but I can't confirm that one way or the other at this time.

However, Gundy has been leading the way for Sanders, with him doing so during the recruiting process last time around out of high school, too. The Sooners WR coach has a strong relationship with Sanders and his family. OU hopes that pays off big in the end.

Again, this is just me trying to piece things together, while also working on confirmation. I have none of that, so until I can get something confirmed, this Sanders stuff could go one of three ways, obviously.

*** Now, to the Caleb Williams saga that I have stayed away from for a long time and for good reason. However, here is some unfiltered information for you all:

I wouldn't hold my breath on CW and OU reconnecting to the point he returns. A lot would have to take place and OU has yet to do their presentation for CW either. All that said, the USC visit "wasn't what anyone expected and they have a lot to do with what (Caleb's camp presented them needed done) and I don't know that Riley will do all of it," a source said.

I don't know that it will matter in the end, though. The visit was a lot of CW and his family getting answers from Riley and so far a lot hasn't been done yet -- though I am told LR and USC are working diligently on it and my personal opinion is that USC will be the pick until proven otherwise. If I am wrong on that, here is who could be the programs that make that statement false:

UCLA is a school that really, really has put itself into contention here. It was a dead period, so they couldn't speak to anyone at UCLA on the staff in person, but I am told they FaceTime together a lot and Zach Charbonnet showed CW around on UCLA campus. Shortly after Charbonnet announced his return to the Bruins, so that was an interesting twist to all of this as well.

UGA wasn't a player when people were reporting all of that stuff early on. It wouldn't have been wise for them to do that with them having an NC game ahead and the distraction that it could have become to their current team. However, that season is over and I am told that UGA reached out to CW and his camp this past week. There is some stuff from the recruiting process that Kirby and CW camp have to work through, but a visit in the next week or so to UGA wouldn't shock me at all.

Same with Wisconsin. I am told that nothing is set with UGA yet, but just like them, Wisconsin is a place that intrigues the CW camp. Paul Chryst developed and has a strong relationship with Russell Wilson. They have an OC opening and depending on that hire could be what makes them even more in play, I am told. Regardless, CW and his family have a strong respect for Chryst and his prostyle offense/work with Wilson.

Nothing is set in stone with either program, so I am not reporting they will visit UGA or Wisky 100%, but it's two programs to watch, along with USC and UCLA obviously. LSU has also been talking to them a bit.

In all of this, I would say OU is on the outside looking in and I think OU is focused on others at this time. I suggest OU fans do the same right now. If that changes, we will update you all.

NOTE: I am 100% reporting what I am told from both sides here. I think you all can see that OU is moving in a different direction, and all in with Dart, but I wanted to update you all on what I know. That's a lot of info that I am sure some don't want me to report, but I am letting you all know what I have heard and that is unfiltered information. on CW.

MY TAKE: I will still lean toward CW going to USC until proven otherwise, but I don't know if it's as sure of a thing as some might think. I do think, in the end, that he wears a Trojan uniform. I am basing that on no information that anyone told me inside this saga. However, if UCLA was to hire a guy like Joe Brady or Pep Hamilton type, I could see them being an even bigger player to watch and it's real right now with the Bruins so that is saying a lot.

If the UGA or Wisky visit happens, I think they are two teams that could make a big run at CW. Especially UGA with their talent and the fact Monken has some strong NFL ties and runs a prostyle system as it is. UGA gives them what they are looking for, outside of the plethora of NFL guys being developed. Also, Monken did develop Brandon Weeden at Okstate, but it's his time in the NFL that is probably more intriguing than anything to CW and his family -- along with that loaded roster in Athens.

This whole situation is crazy, PERIOD. That's my true opinion. It's nuts that a guy left OU after all of that success and what is returning, but it's the sad world of CFB today. I don't like it all, but no one that is running the sport has asked if I liked it, unfortunately.

I also think that OU is probably a long way to go if they ever want to get back in the CW sweepstakes, so I suggest people move on until proven otherwise. Again, just my opinion. I think BV and the company decided that no person was going to demand a lot of the program and that they wanted someone that would be here and play. Honestly, that was was a lot of drama for BV to come into the job with. Because of that, I think they chose DG and now I think it's time to move on unless you're a glutton for punishment. Some it seems are a glutton for that, so it will still be talked about.

Again, my reasoning for the update is that you all asked for it and so I did my due diligence. Oklahoma wants Dart. That's a fact. They haven't spoken to CW in a few days. I have said for a long time that I think the two sides should move on and I think that is happening as of today. Will that continue? I think that depends on if Dart chooses OU or not. Something we are all watching.

As for what is next for CW, I don't know. He is in North Carolina with his GF and his family is in DC. I know there is some buzz that video is being worked on, but I haven't been able to get anyone to do anything but deny those rumors. That's the best I can come up with right now. Nothing I can confirm other than the denying of it. So, as stated above, we have to wait and see what Dart does because that is where OU's head is right now. Not anywhere else.

Until then, this is all I have. True. Unfiltered information on the situation.

*** Really like where things stand with DB transfer Trey Morrison, CJ Coldon and Kani Walker. Especially with Morrison and Coldon.

Those two all but told Parker and I that if OU was to offer, that OU would be difficult to beat. They really have been open to that idea from the jump.

As for Walker, he hopped in the portal very recently and with OU starting class on Tuesday, and him being at OU this weekend, it seems the Sooners are in a great spot for him as a potential safety. That would be great news if that happens, with Walker seemingly being a big loss for Louisville, I’m told.

We are watching those three very closely.

*** As for DL transfer Mekhi Wingo, the Sooners feel they have a shot but the buzz around Wingo right now is LSU. This visit could set some things up with him having a USC visit set for Sunday and Monday.

Last time USC had a visit set, OU stopped it with DL Jeffrey Johnson committing to Oklahoma. We will see if that happens again. I’m not betting on it just yet, but it’s something to monitor.

*** Also, I am aware of a visitor from the transfer portal giving OU some good news. Working on gathering that information.

*** Drew Sanders was in Norman Thursday afternoon and Friday. He left yesterday evening for Texas.

I’m told OU feels they are right there and has a decent shot. Arkansas was the team most feel is the Sooners biggest competition, but that’s before the transfer EDGE rusher gets to Austin. That has a chance to change and change quickly. Texas will most certainly be a major player here before it’s all said and done, in my opinion.

Still, the comfortability with OU, and the fact Valai was with him at Bama and is now OU CB coach, has people around Norman cautiously optimistic. That’s along with his prior relationship with Cale Gundy and the OU staff left on campus.

I’m also told he and Coach Venables seem to have gotten along great and meshed well. We will follow this as best we can, but this is going to be a recruitment that will be hard to guess because Sanders plays it so close to the vest.

*** Finally, OU also hosted TCU transfer OL Tyler Guyton.

I’m working on finding out how that visit went because no one I spoke with brought him up much.

That said, he made it seem, via his Twitter post, that he had a great time Norman. Will try and have more later on him.

*** More later

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

Drumm, Sat 7:22 pm update.  Whole load of crap, on a bunch of folks.

Hide contents

UPDATE 722 pm:

*** Okay, we will start with Jaxson Dart and Michael Trigg. I briefly exchanged messages with Trigg today and he spoke about his time at OU saying, "It was great. I loved it," Trigg said. Trigg and Dart spent two days in Norman and from what I have been told, this visit was as good as one could go. Trigg seemed to say so above and even added that he learned a lot from Coach Brent Venables and TE coach Joe Jon Finley, saying, "Coach Venables and coach Joe Jon were talking to me about how they were going to use me. I really liked that Coach V was talking to me on a personal level and it really hit home. I love the type of person he is. He is definitely a coach I would love to play for."

The duo left Norman and OKC this morning and arrived at Ole Miss around midday today. From all accounts, Ole Miss seems to feel they are in a prime spot for the two and excited that they got the last visit.

Dart's mom was on the visit to OU, but the dad didn't get to be there due to "other obligations and work," I am told. Dart's father will be in Oxford later on tonight, according to David Johnson from our Ole Miss 247 site.

I don't know where the two will go, but I do know that Trigg really enjoyed his time in Norman and it seems like Dart did as well. However, in the end, most feel like Trigg will go where Dart does and if Dart feels the opportunity at Ole Miss is better, that is where they will end up. I know OU feels they put their best foot forward, but outside of that, I don't know how this one will end.

I know you all want more than that, but the Ole Miss board seems to feel like they are in a good spot, as well as sources feeling Oklahoma felt that way last night, so this is a recruitment that we will have to see how things go after the visits end.

*** Okay, so more on EDGE transfer Drew Sanders:

As you all have read, there is some buzz that OLB will be making a decision tonight. I told you all earlier that OU felt they were in a good spot heading into Sanders' Texas visit. Arkansas seemed to be the prime competition at that point, but I added that I thought Texas would make this difficult after Sanders made his visit there, too. In speaking with Texas sources, the Horns feel as if they put on a good show for Sanders and that the visit went well, but also told that UT didn't have a real feel for what Sanders would do. That was similar to Arkansas sources as well.

All that said, I don't know that anyone really knows what Sanders will do at the end. The only thing I can think of is the fact that earlier today, Venables and the OU staff tweeted out "#OUDNA" and Venables tweeted out his epic GIF that people use with a "lock" emoji. That was supposed to symbolize a commitment. With Cale Gundy tweeting "#OUDNA" with them, it gave me some intrigue that it might be Sanders, but I can't confirm that one way or the other at this time.

However, Gundy has been leading the way for Sanders, with him doing so during the recruiting process last time around out of high school, too. The Sooners WR coach has a strong relationship with Sanders and his family. OU hopes that pays off big in the end.

Again, this is just me trying to piece things together, while also working on confirmation. I have none of that, so until I can get something confirmed, this Sanders stuff could go one of three ways, obviously.

*** Now, to the Caleb Williams saga that I have stayed away from for a long time and for good reason. However, here is some unfiltered information for you all:

I wouldn't hold my breath on CW and OU reconnecting to the point he returns. A lot would have to take place and OU has yet to do their presentation for CW either. All that said, the USC visit "wasn't what anyone expected and they have a lot to do with what (Caleb's camp presented them needed done) and I don't know that Riley will do all of it," a source said.

I don't know that it will matter in the end, though. The visit was a lot of CW and his family getting answers from Riley and so far a lot hasn't been done yet -- though I am told LR and USC are working diligently on it and my personal opinion is that USC will be the pick until proven otherwise. If I am wrong on that, here is who could be the programs that make that statement false:

UCLA is a school that really, really has put itself into contention here. It was a dead period, so they couldn't speak to anyone at UCLA on the staff in person, but I am told they FaceTime together a lot and Zach Charbonnet showed CW around on UCLA campus. Shortly after Charbonnet announced his return to the Bruins, so that was an interesting twist to all of this as well.

UGA wasn't a player when people were reporting all of that stuff early on. It wouldn't have been wise for them to do that with them having an NC game ahead and the distraction that it could have become to their current team. However, that season is over and I am told that UGA reached out to CW and his camp this past week. There is some stuff from the recruiting process that Kirby and CW camp have to work through, but a visit in the next week or so to UGA wouldn't shock me at all.

Same with Wisconsin. I am told that nothing is set with UGA yet, but just like them, Wisconsin is a place that intrigues the CW camp. Paul Chryst developed and has a strong relationship with Russell Wilson. They have an OC opening and depending on that hire could be what makes them even more in play, I am told. Regardless, CW and his family have a strong respect for Chryst and his prostyle offense/work with Wilson.

Nothing is set in stone with either program, so I am not reporting they will visit UGA or Wisky 100%, but it's two programs to watch, along with USC and UCLA obviously. LSU has also been talking to them a bit.

In all of this, I would say OU is on the outside looking in and I think OU is focused on others at this time. I suggest OU fans do the same right now. If that changes, we will update you all.

NOTE: I am 100% reporting what I am told from both sides here. I think you all can see that OU is moving in a different direction, and all in with Dart, but I wanted to update you all on what I know. That's a lot of info that I am sure some don't want me to report, but I am letting you all know what I have heard and that is unfiltered information. on CW.

MY TAKE: I will still lean toward CW going to USC until proven otherwise, but I don't know if it's as sure of a thing as some might think. I do think, in the end, that he wears a Trojan uniform. I am basing that on no information that anyone told me inside this saga. However, if UCLA was to hire a guy like Joe Brady or Pep Hamilton type, I could see them being an even bigger player to watch and it's real right now with the Bruins so that is saying a lot.

If the UGA or Wisky visit happens, I think they are two teams that could make a big run at CW. Especially UGA with their talent and the fact Monken has some strong NFL ties and runs a prostyle system as it is. UGA gives them what they are looking for, outside of the plethora of NFL guys being developed. Also, Monken did develop Brandon Weeden at Okstate, but it's his time in the NFL that is probably more intriguing than anything to CW and his family -- along with that loaded roster in Athens.

This whole situation is crazy, PERIOD. That's my true opinion. It's nuts that a guy left OU after all of that success and what is returning, but it's the sad world of CFB today. I don't like it all, but no one that is running the sport has asked if I liked it, unfortunately.

I also think that OU is probably a long way to go if they ever want to get back in the CW sweepstakes, so I suggest people move on until proven otherwise. Again, just my opinion. I think BV and the company decided that no person was going to demand a lot of the program and that they wanted someone that would be here and play. Honestly, that was was a lot of drama for BV to come into the job with. Because of that, I think they chose DG and now I think it's time to move on unless you're a glutton for punishment. Some it seems are a glutton for that, so it will still be talked about.

Again, my reasoning for the update is that you all asked for it and so I did my due diligence. Oklahoma wants Dart. That's a fact. They haven't spoken to CW in a few days. I have said for a long time that I think the two sides should move on and I think that is happening as of today. Will that continue? I think that depends on if Dart chooses OU or not. Something we are all watching.

As for what is next for CW, I don't know. He is in North Carolina with his GF and his family is in DC. I know there is some buzz that video is being worked on, but I haven't been able to get anyone to do anything but deny those rumors. That's the best I can come up with right now. Nothing I can confirm other than the denying of it. So, as stated above, we have to wait and see what Dart does because that is where OU's head is right now. Not anywhere else.

Until then, this is all I have. True. Unfiltered information on the situation.

*** Really like where things stand with DB transfer Trey Morrison, CJ Coldon and Kani Walker. Especially with Morrison and Coldon.

Those two all but told Parker and I that if OU was to offer, that OU would be difficult to beat. They really have been open to that idea from the jump.

As for Walker, he hopped in the portal very recently and with OU starting class on Tuesday, and him being at OU this weekend, it seems the Sooners are in a great spot for him as a potential safety. That would be great news if that happens, with Walker seemingly being a big loss for Louisville, I’m told.

We are watching those three very closely.

*** As for DL transfer Mekhi Wingo, the Sooners feel they have a shot but the buzz around Wingo right now is LSU. This visit could set some things up with him having a USC visit set for Sunday and Monday.

Last time USC had a visit set, OU stopped it with DL Jeffrey Johnson committing to Oklahoma. We will see if that happens again. I’m not betting on it just yet, but it’s something to monitor.

*** Also, I am aware of a visitor from the transfer portal giving OU some good news. Working on gathering that information.

*** Drew Sanders was in Norman Thursday afternoon and Friday. He left yesterday evening for Texas.

I’m told OU feels they are right there and has a decent shot. Arkansas was the team most feel is the Sooners biggest competition, but that’s before the transfer EDGE rusher gets to Austin. That has a chance to change and change quickly. Texas will most certainly be a major player here before it’s all said and done, in my opinion.

Still, the comfortability with OU, and the fact Valai was with him at Bama and is now OU CB coach, has people around Norman cautiously optimistic. That’s along with his prior relationship with Cale Gundy and the OU staff left on campus.

I’m also told he and Coach Venables seem to have gotten along great and meshed well. We will follow this as best we can, but this is going to be a recruitment that will be hard to guess because Sanders plays it so close to the vest.

*** Finally, OU also hosted TCU transfer OL Tyler Guyton.

I’m working on finding out how that visit went because no one I spoke with brought him up much.

That said, he made it seem, via his Twitter post, that he had a great time Norman. Will try and have more later on him.

*** More later

This was a beating to read. I am substantially dumber now.

• Hook 'Em 2

If all that is true about CW, lulz.  The money in NIL as high as his dad thinks it is and OU was always the best spot for him.  The other teams either have a guy already or don’t have a history of getting QB’s into the league.

He’ll follow Riley to USC but their roster is trash and maybe he’s realizing it if all that is true.

https://twitter.com/JR_Sandlin/status/1482775782137151494

Coach J.R. Sandlin @JR_Sandlin

And then there were Lock … Lock… Lock

JR Sandlin is now OU's "Director of Player Personnel & Recruiting." Lock = committment now, and the tweet above is from this PM.

OU was known to have 10 transfer recruits in town this weekend and one high school recruit (Josh Conerly, top OT in the nation--probably going to Washington or Michigan). One, DL Jeffery Johnson (Tulane), has already said he's going to OU. Here are the visitors separated by likelihood that they've committed.

More likely
DB Trey Morrison (UNC): 4 yr starter at CB,S,NB at various points; tiny, 5-9; Venables may have known him some from the ACC (Clemson played UNC in 2019)
DB CJ Coldon (Wyoming): 2nd team MWC, FWIW
DB Kani Walker (Louisville): Freshman in 2021; 1 tackle.
QB Chubba Purdy (FSU): Didn't play at FSU, which had tremendous QB issues in 2020 and 2021. Brother made comically poor decisions in high leverage situations.
OT Tyler Guyton (TCU): Freshman OT who can reverse dunk a basketball but may not be able to block other large humans

Less likely
TE Michael Trigg (USC): At Mississippi right now; mildly productive freshman yr; OU'll have playing time but he may follow Dart to Mississippi.
LB Drew Sanders (Bama): Likes Arkansas a lot apparently.
DL Mekhi Wingo (Miz): Already said he's still going to visit SC; visited LSU too. OU still in it.
QB Jaxson Dart (USC): At Mississippi right now; makes sense he'd go there.

Unless OU's anticipating an exodus from their DBs or they don't like their current S/NB candidates, I don't understand this strategy. The glaring need from the portal is WR, and they've brought zero in so far.

Edited by quigley