Star Wars: The Bad Batch, new animated series in 2021

mdmost

49 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

wasn't she dead?

No; last seen 

Spoiler

helping show Anakin that Bariss framed Ahsoka in for the bombing in CW S5

And, um, yeah... that trailer was amazeballs. Can't wait.

• 5 weeks later...

Are we at the point this show is like Rogue One, where you don’t get too attached to the characters because you know their end is near?

That said, what are the chances Tech is still alive?

Will Palpatine hump Omega to produce Rey’s father?

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Are we at the point this show is like Rogue One, where you don’t get too attached to the characters because you know their end is near?

That said, what are the chances Tech is still alive?

Screencrush dude, with another excellent breakdown, goes into how Filoni is laying the groundwork it.  He seriously needs a third Michelin star for making something decent out of that particular pile of chickenshit.

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I know they are showing R rated films like Deadpool now, but I think child rape in a kids cartoon is probably a bridge too far even for Disney. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Now they’ve rescued Omega, I’m not even sure what their mission is. 

Maybe their mission is freeing the other clones on Tantis that they’ve discussed multiple times in every episode and is the reason they are on their “hero quest” to learn the coordinates and gather allies?  😁

9 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Maybe their mission is freeing the other clones on Tantis that they’ve discussed multiple times in every episode and is the reason they are on their “hero quest” to learn the coordinates and gather allies?  😁

OK. They’re going to need more than 6 dudes to take Tantis. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Much darker so far. Curious to see how they find Tantiss. Really hope they don't have Omega tap into her jedi powers during the season climax but you know they will.

I'd bet a dollar that Ventress will have something to do with that. Orrrr the show will end suuuuper dark with Omega not getting rescued 

Posted (edited)

I know as Clone Wars was wrapping up, most assumed that Ahsoka and all other Jedi had to be dead based on how SW started and how RotA ended, but of course we ended up with Kanan, Ezra, more Ahsoka, etc. So it kind of feels like this can’t have a good ending for Omega. This is setting up (far in the future) mandalorian stories, that so sets up /tries to save RoS, so they’ll probably save the clones but part of the research will escape. Maybe they can save Omega by having the older Omega go instead  

The pods look very much like the pod Grogu was in. 

Edited by UT_OB1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

I'd bet a dollar that Ventress will have something to do with that. Orrrr the show will end suuuuper dark with Omega not getting rescued 

Coworker threw out a theory that she’s something similar to a Gray Jedi. It’s Filoni, so I could see it. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Coworker threw out a theory that she’s something similar to a Gray Jedi. It’s Filoni, so I could see it. 

note that Filoni, unlike whoever the fuck did the sequel trilogy, actually talks to Lucas about his ideas

so it's not like Filoni is going off the reservation with these ideas

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Rimbo said:

note that Filoni, unlike whoever the fuck did the sequel trilogy, actually talks to Lucas about his ideas

so it's not like Filoni is going off the reservation with these ideas

Doesn't Filoni pretty much decide what is the reservation these days?

2 hours ago, Scary Stranger said:

Doesn't Filoni pretty much decide what is the reservation these days?

Filoni listens to Lucas still. It is ultimately Filoni's call but he prefaces every mention of Lucas with "the genius" or some other honorific

Hell, Tantiss being a close base is just dead ass pulled from the original Thrawn trilogy. No crazy cloned Jedi generals (yet) but hell once they get this M count binding stuff from Omega, all bets are off. Plus it would nicely bridge the prequels to the OT to (unfortunately) the sequels. 

It'll be pretty incredible if Filoni can pull off making chicken salad out of chicken shit again by filling in the blanks between movies

At what point will they run out of content to do during the time period between the clone wars and the final sequels? I guess theoretically you can make up an infinite amount of shit but I wonder if they'll eventually start gravitating towards the past or start a whole new bunch of stories post sequels. 

2 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

At what point will they run out of content to do during the time period between the clone wars and the final sequels? I guess theoretically you can make up an infinite amount of shit but I wonder if they'll eventually start gravitating towards the past or start a whole new bunch of stories post sequels. 

IMO that's what they're working on with the High Republic era stuff like The Acolyte and rumored "Dawn of the Jedi" movie

5 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

I never thought I'd be interested in stories and characters where I "know" the fate, or at least the ending story for that plotline or character. But then Filoni gave us Ventress, expanded stories of Darth Maul, expanded stories of Anakin/Darth, an incredible character of Ahsoka, expanded stories of the Clones, and a whole bunch of new characters and stories confined between canon movies and trilogies, and I/we are definitely the richer for it. I think Maul and Ahsoka are the most complex and intriguing characters in the SW universe. As long as he is fully in charge of a project, I am watching.

I would love for Filoni to go beyond the last trilogy and tell brand new stories and new characters with no ties or relations to the previous characters. I am sure it's been discussed but not sure why he hasn't been given free reign to do so. The last trilogy was absolute shit. He can't do any worse.

4 hours ago, crash_davis said:

I never thought I'd be interested in stories and characters where I "know" the fate, or at least the ending story for that plotline or character. But then Filoni gave us Ventress, expanded stories of Darth Maul, expanded stories of Anakin/Darth, an incredible character of Ahsoka, expanded stories of the Clones, and a whole bunch of new characters and stories confined between canon movies and trilogies, and I/we are definitely the richer for it. I think Maul and Ahsoka are the most complex and intriguing characters in the SW universe. As long as he is fully in charge of a project, I am watching.

I would love for Filoni to go beyond the last trilogy and tell brand new stories and new characters with no ties or relations to the previous characters. I am sure it's been discussed but not sure why he hasn't been given free reign to do so. The last trilogy was absolute shit. He can't do any worse.

Agree with you on the pre-OT stories. Filoni did a masterful job telling compelling and varied stories. That's why I enjoyed Clone Wars so much. Rex, Ahsoka, Ventress, and others were given as much narrative attention as established characters like Kenobi. 

I don't know if he would be as successful with the latest trilogy. That trilogy was a damn mess with no clear vision or narrative flushed out. It was a Disney, rush to market, money grab, operation. With his other work, he had the benefit of questioning Lucas on what George meant to do and what he was trying to say in the prequels. It allowed him to expound and bring more weight to material that had been poorly executed by Lucas. 

If he were to quiz Abrams or Johnson,  I don't know what they would say to him. He tried working with the gaps in the latest trilogy with Star Wars: Resistance. It was not good. In part, because the world building in the latest trilogy sucked. 

All that to say, I trust Filoni.

• 2 weeks later...

No comments 24 hours after the third to final episode probably sums up where this show it. I love Dave Filoni, but I also love to criticize his abundance of filler episodes in seasons with fewer episodes. If Clones Wars and Rebels have 20 episodes, sure burn 2 or 3 with side capers or suspenseful (slow developing) plot development. I’d summarize episode 313 like this and there’d be no reason someone who have to watch it:

“Omega is still trapped in the basement of Tantiss base with other force sensitive kids and explores a droid shaft as a possible escape route. She doesn’t escape. Bad Batch dress Rampart in Impirial officer clothes, sneak onto a launch station above Coruscant to find the coordinates to Tantiss. They fail, so they latch onto a science ship headed there instead.”

This all could’ve been act 1 of an episode instead of the entire episode. Two episodes left to resolve their fate, the M-count cloning program, and if the brought Ventress back for anything other than a cameo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

This all could’ve been act 1 of an episode instead of the entire episode. Two episodes left to resolve their fate, the M-count cloning program, and if the brought Ventress back for anything other than a cameo. 

Up until now, Ventress was presumed dead so I think bringing her back was more about putting a toy back into the toy box. But I can't disagree that there's not that much screentime left to close out the Bad Batch story. I hope they do two 30 minute episodes at least, if not longer