Star Wars: The Bad Batch, new animated series in 2021

mdmost

Caught up last night. The last episode was really good. It does seem to be a bit of a Mandalorian repeat but I enjoyed that so I'll enjoy this too. I do get a little tired of our heroes getting shot and it's not fatal. Wrecker and Hunter both take direct hits but they're okay. Small pet peeve.

Seemed like a Filoni “filler” episode. He could have just shown us Omega was some kind of prodigy in strategery in 5 minutes and used the rest of the episode for something interesting, but nah. Maybe this senator and his droid concubine will come back later in an important role. 

Yeah, this week was fantastic.  This is the overarching story line that The Bad Batch should operate within.  I'd like to see more of the Empire and their origin.  What's really interesting to me is what was brought up in the opening episode, the transition from Clone army to conscripted/volunteer army.  

Hera's backstory was fun to watch.  It was brought up in Rebels, but this was great this week.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

But why does Hera have an accent now?

She always had one; just dropped it when she left Ryloth. Obviously... spoilers for those who haven't seen the episode yet.

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

She always had one; just dropped it when she left Ryloth. Obviously... spoilers for those who haven't seen the episode yet.

Very cool.  That’s quite a small detail to carry over from Rebels since there wasn’t a lot of time spent on Ryloth to really notice her accent.  

Very, very good episode. Loved seeing Hera take flight, and C1-10P takes any episode up a notch.

I’m also enjoying the “free will vs control” dynamic they’ve explored all season. The Clone commander, who fought to free Ryloth from the Separatists, remained loyal to them in the face of an ever-more-strangling Imperial occupation and convinced a few of his “brothers” to do the same. Is this the excuse Tarkin needs to retire the Clone Army? I’m also thinking the Batch somehow manage capture Crosshair and to remove his Chip, only for him to choose to remain loyal to Tarkin and the Empire afterward. 

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Dutch said:

Is this the excuse Tarkin needs to retire the Clone Army? I’m also thinking the Batch somehow manage capture Crosshair and to remove his Chip, only for him to choose to remain loyal to Tarkin and the Empire afterward. 

That's what I'm thinking.  That's a very Filoni thing to do, probably with Favreau - do a little more world building to close the gap between the prequels and the original movies.

3 hours ago, Dutch said:

Very, very good episode. Loved seeing Hera take flight, and C1-10P takes any episode up a notch.

I’m also enjoying the “free will vs control” dynamic they’ve explored all season. The Clone commander, who fought to free Ryloth from the Separatists, remained loyal to them in the face of an ever-more-strangling Imperial occupation and convinced a few of his “brothers” to do the same. Is this the excuse Tarkin needs to retire the Clone Army? I’m also thinking the Batch somehow manage capture Crosshair and to remove his Chip, only for him to choose to remain loyal to Tarkin and the Empire afterward. 

Agree with all points.  I'm incredibly interested in how the Empire handles the Clone Army.  If you watched the Rebels episodes, "The Lost Commanders" and the second part of that episode, "Relics of the Old Republic", you noticed the Empire dismissed the veteran Clones and showed frustration with them.  I'd like to see what happens next. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yep. That was a great ep. Full transition from Clone Army to Stormtroopers now. And lol that we finally saw a use for a Gonk Droid. 

Really looking forward to see how he ends the season in the next two episodes.

Edited by Dutch

Just great. They know how to close out these animated seasons...I bet next week will be fucking epic.

I LOVE the storyline with Crosshair and them.  He still cares about them, doesn't want to execute them, but feels absolutely betrayed by being left behind.  And I'm glad it won't be a quick make up season with them, or just as simple as taking out his Inhibitor chip(he claims it's already out).  Great story telling.

It wasn’t the “fuck yeah!” feeling we usually get from a DAVE Filoni season finale. They ran around in sinking tubes until they escaped. Crosshair doesn’t want to go with them but is considering it. The end. I thought they might show a little something of what the sith cloning plan was. 

16 hours ago, Nivek said:

I was hoping for more (minutes), but it was well done.

So now this makes me wonder if Omega will appear in another show since she ages slowly it seems.

I don’t think she ages slowly. She ages normally. The clones age quickly. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't recall the first season of Rebels or Clone Wars ending with a holy shit moment, but I don't really remember how they ended. This just seems like a typical well done Filoni cartoon setting up future seasons that will get more and more complex.

I think in a lot of ways his writing is often similar to Larry McMurtry's in Lonesome Dove. There isn't really a whole lot going on with the plot that is exceptional at times, but his character developement is some of the best in the industry. He keeps them multidimensional and consistent and then developes them realistically throughout the series so that you don't even realize you have started caring about them until something happens.