2020 Astros Season Thread

Jshep34

6 minutes ago, Honeysucklerose said:

What did he say??

Fiers pitched in the rotation all year, yet not against the Astros in 10 games in regular season. Every A's pitcher on the active roster pitched in the ALDS, except one.

Based on his lack of post-season appearances with the Astros, Fiers is an expert at not pitching in the playoffs.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, WBT said:

have to root for the yankees now

15 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

No

from Stark's column last night:

1. The Yankees keep forgetting to start Gerrit Cole every day

For $324 million, you’d think the least Gerrit Cole could do is volunteer to start every game of this postseason for the Yankees. Heck, if Old Hoss Radbourn were alive today, I guarantee he’d be willing to do that for half as many silver nickels.

But since that’s not the world we live in now, it’s starting to become clear that you can divide the Yankees’ Death Star Capability Factor into two sectors:

• The Gerrit Cole Is Pitching Tonight So You Guys Might as Well Just Forfeit Now sector.
  • The Gerrit Cole Is Not Pitching Tonight So 27 Outs Sure Seems Like Too Many sector.

Perhaps you think that’s an overreaction to two straight Yankees losses to those pesky Rays — 7-5 Tuesday in Game 2, then 8-4 Wednesday in Game 3. But I don’t really think so. This has actually been on the minds of the Yankees’ potential opponents all month. An executive of one playoff team mentioned it to me just a few days ago.

“I know they just swept Cleveland, but half of those games were started by Gerrit Cole,” the exec said, on the eve of this Division Series. “But now, with no more off days, in a five-game series, the most he can start is 40 percent of the games if it even goes five. And in a seven-game series, he can only start 28 percent. So you don’t judge that team by how they look when he starts. It’s the risk of being forced to expose the depth of their rotation in those other games that’s a better way to measure them.”

Bingo. So just to prove I’m not basing this Dr. Gerrit/Mr. Cole theory on what we’ve seen this week, I looked at the Yankees’ pitching over the last couple of weeks — then divided the results into the Cole games and the Everyone Else Starts games.

COLE’S LAST 3 STARTS*

Yankees record: 3-0, outscoring opponents, 33-7
Cole’s record: 3-0, 2.70 ERA and a bunch of other awesome numbers

LAST 10 EVERYONE ELSE STARTS GAMES*

Yankees record: 2-8, outscored by opponents, 76-42
Yankees pitching in those games: 86 IP, 106 H, 76 R, 71 ER, 7.43 ERA, 1.65 WHIP

(*Includes regular-season games from Sept. 20-27, plus postseason)

But even if we just include the three postseason games Cole hasn’t started, Yankees pitchers have allowed 31 hits and 23 runs in 26 innings in those games (for a 7.96 ERA). In the two postseason games Cole has started, he and his bullpen have allowed just 14 hits and six runs in 18 innings (for a 3.00 ERA).

So Game 4 on Thursday is about as must-win as it gets for this team, because it will be bringing back Cole (on short rest) to start Game 5 on Friday. But even if the Yankees survive this series, there just aren’t enough Gerrit Cole starts left after this to fear the Pinstriped Death Star with quite the same trepidation. And that’s a problem.

Edited by WBT
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Honeysucklerose said:

What did he say??

He talked about how curious it was that in the ten games in the regular season and now the four games in the postseason, the ONLY A's pitcher who had yet to make an appearance was "you know who." Basically said I don't know what it means but you all at home know what it means. 

Edited by Gourmand
  • Hook 'Em 2

Avoided posting thread while driving through Oklahoma.  Watched last 3 innings at restaurant on Garth Brooks Drive in Yukon, of all places.

No bad ju-ju on the Astros.  Enjoyed the hell out of the effort today.

Very pumped about the ALCS.   Go Astros!

28 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

To be fair, Fiers had a 4.58 ERA this season, so maybe they just didn't throw him because he's old and he sucks now.

Nah. Montas pitched today and had a 5.60 ERA.  Fiers was a pussy.  As manager was a pussy too for not putting him out there.  He had 11 starts this year.  Tied for the most starts on the team with 3 other starting pitchers..  We played them 5 games in a row in the regular season too.  Somehow his spot in the 5 man rotation went missing then too. 

I could understand if it was the NL. But in the AL nobody can throw at him. He's just afraid to face the people he did wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Nah. Montas pitched today and had a 5.60 ERA.  Fiers was a pussy.  As manager was a pussy too for not putting him out there.  He had 11 starts this year.  Tied for the most starts on the team with 3 other starting pitchers..  We played them 5 games in a row in the regular season too.  Somehow his spot in the 5 man rotation went missing then too. 

I could understand if it was the NL. But in the AL nobody can throw at him. He's just afraid to face the people he did wrong. 

Melvin has more than just a hint of bitchass, punk motherfucker going on.

10 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

This. Do the A’s even want to keep Fiers if he won’t take the ball against a f***ing divisional opponent? I think the guy is quietly blackballed and cycled out of the majors this offseason. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So the Yankees winning tonight is actually good regardless what happens tomorrow because Cole will start game 5. If they win the series then Cole would either have to sit full rest and not be seen til game 4 or pitch on short rest in game 3 so he could potentially come back in a game 7. Yankees SP sucks cock already so going 5 games in this series really fucks them even more.

For the Rays they are so unorthodox that I have no clue if they will bring back Snell or start some rando. Doesn't really hurt them much going forward if they win game 5 anyway I wouldn't think, but making some of their pitchers throw more is still better for us

Yeah I agree, which is why I'm hoping the Yankees win it.  The Rays' pitching is a lot deeper.  Once you get past Cole, the Yankees don't scare me as much.  And Cole's only going to be able to throw 2 games with at least 1 of those on short rest.

• Like 1