Fuck you Evan Drellich, 

And most of all...

FUCK YOU MIKE FIERS.

Signed, 

Every Astros fan everywhere

Bruh...thats like the foreword of the book

You gonna be up all night writing the rest of it

• Hook 'Em 1

https://theathletic.com/2121864/2020/10/08/mccullough-the-astros-advance-and-the-rest-of-the-sport-just-has-to-deal-with-it/

McCullough: The Astros advance, and the rest of the sport just has to deal with it

AP20282781503139-1024x683.jpg
By Andy McCullough 16m agocomment-icon@2x.png 3 save-icon@2x.png

Stop me if you’ve heard this one before: The Houston Astros have found a hack in Major League Baseball’s playoff system.

Their gambit this time is far less nefarious than the last one. The Astros are not exploiting MLB’s video-security apparatus or benefiting from the inability of the commissioner’s office to effectively enforce its rules on sign stealing. No, this time the Astros are riding a wave created by the desperation of team owners to generate revenue.

Which is why the Astros, who lost more games than they won during the regular season, who produced the eighth-best record in the American League, now stand four victories away from a third pennant in four seasons. It is a good thing commissioner Rob Manfred doesn’t do nightmares.

On one hand, this outcome is deeply amusing, if you can appreciate the boomerang of unintended consequences that clips the sport every few seasons. On the other hand, for fans who watched their favorite teams fall to Houston in past postseasons, it must be deeply deflating to see this group of players who avoided punishment so close to yet another World Series appearance.

It feels impossible to discuss the Astros without lingering on the scandal. It was Joan Didion who wrote “We tell ourselves stories in order to live,” because humans require the trappings of narrative to make sense of a chaotic world. So what story should we tell about the 2020 Houston Astros? Only a fool would sell this as one of redemption, and the Astros don’t appear interested in your redemption, anyway. The Astros can’t be called underdogs, or the End Boss. The players seem to dither between saying they want to prove people wrong and saying no, no, not exactly, they just want to win ball games.

So it is what it is, and they are what they are: A group of good baseball players who utilized an illegal sign-stealing scheme en route to one title, but are still talented enough, cohesive enough and driven enough to challenge for another one in this preposterous season. Just ask the Athletics. Houston clubbed 12 homers and hung 33 runs in four games on Oakland, which flaunted the best bullpen in baseball during the regular season.

“We’re not done yet,” shortstop Carlos Correa said. “We want to strive for more.”

It is Correa who has become the face of the franchise over these past nine months, from his defense of teammate José Altuve this past spring, to his celebratory gestures after homers this October, to his rhetoric after the Astros swept Minnesota in the wild-card round.

“I know a lot of people are mad,” Correa said last week. “I know a lot of people don’t want to see us here. But what are they going to say now?”

The response was predictable. Brandon McCarthy, the retired pitcher who played for the Dodgers in the 2017 World Series, summed up the prevailing sentiment: “The same things?” he posted. It was like dunking on an eight-foot rim.

Correa went a different route on Thursday. He was asked if the club drew motivation from outside scorn.

“Absolutely not,” Correa said. “We’re motivated because we want to win. We want to be able to bring another championship to the city of Houston. We know what it feels like. So we want to be able to have that feeling once again.”

He was saying the same thing he appears to signal after every dinger: We can’t hear you. When Correa goes deep, as he has four times in five games this October, he cups his hand around his ear as he rounds third base. Correa called this a ritual between himself and third-base coach Omar Lopez. He had made a similar gesture after walking off the Yankees in Game 2 of last season’s American League Championship Series. “With no fans in the stands this year, I decided to do it rounding third with the coach at third base,” Correa said after Game 1. “Just kind of like make it my own thing.”

Playing inside empty ballparks, the Astros only really confront the abstract concept of villainy when they check social media or appear on Zoom calls with reporters sheepishly prodding about it. Lance McCullers Jr. was asked the other day if Correa was embracing this new role.

“Carlos Correa is not a villain,” McCullers said. “He’s an amazing human. He’s a humanitarian. He takes care of Houston. He takes care of Puerto Rico. He’s a great friend.”

The extent to which the players will shoot down theories about their inspiration borders on absurd. On Wednesday morning, Andy Martino of SNY, who has been reporting and writing a book on the sign-stealing scandal, posted a tweet. “Astros players are telling people behind scenes they’re focused, mad, and very into the idea of avenging themselves against what they consider haters,” he wrote. “Like, say, the A’s, Yankees, Rays and Dodgers. Will be good theater. People who know these guys think they can run the table.”

Multiple Astros saw fit to refute this premise, which essentially fleshed out what Correa had said after the Twins sweep.

Not so fast, the players insisted.

McCullers referred to this as “fake news,” in a post he later deleted. Josh Reddick, who said before this series began that “it’s all about silencing the haters, that’s what all this year was about,” told Martino: “Stirring the pot, Andy? I haven’t heard ONE teammate say this.”

Are we having fun yet? Semantics!

Incidentally: Oakland had woofed since the spring about wanting to square off with Houston.

Well …

“They wanted us,” Astros catcher Martín Maldonado posted just minutes after the final out. “They got us.”

So maybe they can hear what is said about them.

It would be nice if viewers didn’t have to ponder this circular, tedious discourse. It would be nice to click on the television and marvel at the postseason excellence of George Springer, the detached brilliance of Michael Brantley, the hyperkinetic exuberance of Correa. The lingering resentment over the cheating scheme makes that a difficult proposition.

The public may still be grappling with the scandal. The Astros insist that is your problem, not theirs. They don’t seek redemption. They aren’t asking for forgiveness. They aren’t underdogs. They’re just the Astros. Baseball devised a postseason system that let them sneak into the dance. The players are still good enough to win it all.

And the rest of the sport will just have to deal with it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, WBT said:

Yeah I agree, which is why I'm hoping the Yankees win it.  The Rays' pitching is a lot deeper.  Once you get past Cole, the Yankees don't scare me as much.  And Cole's only going to be able to throw 2 games with at least 1 of those on short rest.

Yeah man, their starting pitching might suck horse cock, but that lineup man, it’s a 10 spot waiting to happen against anyone we trot out there. It’s terrifying to think that there’s about 3 or 4 arms that you might sort of trust in a 7 game series with no time off, against an amazing offense. Careful what you wish for asking for the yanks. 

It’s funny that the the “Astros wouldn’t be here without the expanded playoffs “ crowd never mentions that the Yankees would be sitting at home as well. 
Oh its moved on to a "Astros shouldn't have even been allowed to play this year" crowd

The tears taste so good
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Fuck you Buster Olney.
Fuck you Jeff Passan.
Fuck you Tom Verducci.
Fuck you Adam Schein.
Fuck you Jon Heyman.
Fuck you Ken Rosenthal.
Fuck you Joel Sherman.
Fuck you Karl Ravech.
Fuck you Evan Drellich, 
And most of all...
FUCK YOU MIKE FIERS.
Signed, 
Every Astros fan everywhere

Fuck you Bud Selig.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

It’s funny that the the “Astros wouldn’t be here without the expanded playoffs “ crowd never mentions that the Yankees would be sitting at home as well. 

I mean, half of them are fans of the 15th best team in the American League.  They're just lucky MLB doesn't do relegation like the EPL or their ugly ass new stadium would be hosting AAA games next season.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

So the Yankees winning tonight is actually good regardless what happens tomorrow because Cole will start game 5. If they win the series then Cole would either have to sit full rest and not be seen til game 4 or pitch on short rest in game 3 so he could potentially come back in a game 7. Yankees SP sucks cock already so going 5 games in this series really fucks them even more.

So Cole will be starting tomorrow on short rest, no way they use him 2 or 3 times in a row on short rest, since it isn't even the WS, right?

Thus realistically just game 4 and maybe some relief in game 7.

Just now, runthebone said:

This team has about 2.5 pitchers and is somehow in the ALCS.  I'm happy and don't see how they will get 8 more wins, but fuck it, why not. 

I mean, we were one of the heaviest favorites in WS history last year and we lost to the hot team.

Why not us now?  It's just a couple more weeks of good baseball.

since we only had 60 games this year, baseball fans really deserve a 21 inning game tomorrow 
That has a better shot of happening than what I wish would happen.....rainout and push game to Saturday lol. I think there have only been like 3 rainouts in SD in last 16 or so years
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Scraps said:
28 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:
Can’t go 4 and 7- 2 days rest is all that would be. 

I'm not talking about him pitching 7 innings....or even starting it

Gotcha. He doesn’t seem to have as big a balls as madbum to me. I’m not worried about him on two days rest at any time. 

1 hour ago, WBT said:

"It would be nice if we could just watch them play without bothering with this tedious discourse about the sign-stealing I say in my article that is simply more tedious discourse about the sign-stealing."

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Scraps said:
13 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:
back to back starts on short rest ?
7 games straight is dumb. should have one off day in there 

Its only dumb if you only have 1 good starter and go 5 game series prior with only 1 day off before next series starts lmao

Agreed. It’s more like regular baseball to me. 

Gotcha. He doesn’t seem to have as big a balls as madbum to me. I’m not worried about him on two days rest at any time. 
I'm not really worried going 7 games against the Yankees anyway. We will either beat their crappy SP or they will out slug us and it won't go more than 5 or 6

12 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

back to back starts on short rest ?

7 games straight is dumb. should have one off day in there 

It's not dumb, it's how the regular season is played. TV allows for the manipulation of shitty pitching staffs outside of 2-4 good ones. Like with Washington last year, the off days allowed them to pitch Corbin, Strasburg, and Scherzer in multiple games.

Just now, HtownHorn said:

It's not dumb, it's how the regular season is played. TV allows for the manipulation of shitty pitching staffs outside of 2-4 good ones. Like with Washington last year, the off days allowed them to pitch Corbin, Strasburg, and Scherzer in multiple games.

I agree in theory. Playoffs should be more like the regular season. There should be no off days in a 5 game series but I do think there should be one off day in a 7 game series.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scraps said:
5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I'm not really worried going 7 games against the Yankees anyway. We will either beat their crappy SP or they will out slug us and it won't go more than 5 or 6

That seems pretty logical. 

33 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Except we’re the ones with the shitty pitching staff

I posted this before but a bit ironic we’re doing well in a postseason most likely the regular season when we sucked in the regular season

but agree with above. We gotta win in 5, or good luck. Offense may have to put up 15 in game 6/7 to keep pace with what the staff is allowing 

Edited by UTexasFight

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

it's also funny that the 2017 title was "sign-stealing aided" yet the same offense is making a push this year with absolutely zero pitching.  uh huh.

9 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Fuck those guys anyhoo.   The playoff bracket was an appropriate solution for an unprecedented situation.  Houston has won both series in convincing fashion, over lower seeds.   Those folks talking that shit just need a punt to the cunt.

7 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Holy shit go to that twitter thread and read all the whiny replies. One dude posted the astros were cheating this series as well because all the players were clapping from the dug out. hahahaha

oh trolling every mlb fanbase on twitter is on fire right now.  I love triggering these dildos (thats what she said)