So, am I getting another $3900 check? Should I?

Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I get it and am cool with poor people making fun of getting a free $600. But the question I have is, What’s the threshold from righteously making fun of a socially unacceptable amount of money? I think I’m hearing $2k? So just give poor people $2k and if they cry about that then we can call them entitled and ungrateful.

That would be my approach, but I also understand scope creep and slippery slopes.

5fe39567e75f6906e84516b3_o_U_v2.jpg

• Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

This is so fucking stupid. They had so many months to help people with real need. Now there are people being evicted and going to food pantries, some while dealing with Covid in their families.

Yeah, but all those months ago, there wasn't a tightly-contested runoff for two Senate seats in Georgia that could swing control of the Senate to the Dems.

So now stimulus checks and aid are a priority.  

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Maybe not practical, but I'd like to see everybody get a gift card for 300-500, whatever, that only works at restaurants.   You give me a check; it's not going to impact my consumption much, if at all.  

Poor folks will pay the electric bill, put tires on the car, whatever.   

Spending money at restaurants, not that's a way to stimulate the economy. 

Restaurant gift card you say? What if it was only for Taco Bell?

image.png.800284d136c2638d744cb445f8a9b19e.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

15 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

You know the limit on a Taco Bell gift card is $25? I know this, because one of my son’s stocking stuffers is $50 in Taco Bell cards. I had to get two. Annoying.

Anybody needing Taco Bell gift cards after midnight is going to be somebody who also loses Taco Bell gift cards. Maxing them at $25 means there will be more of them spread around the house, the apartment, the hippy van. This increases the odds of finding one. The munchy-afflicted person only needs to find one.

Taco Bell takes care of its customers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

This is so fucking stupid. They had so many months to help people with real need. Now there are people being evicted and going to food pantries, some while dealing with Covid in their families.

The money given directly to Americans would have gone directly into the economy. Car repairs, rent, food, household necessities, home repair or remodel items...it would have all helped everyone. But no. We can't help everyone because they may look to the government to help them ALWAYS going forward and we can't have that. What a crock! This is a fucking emergency, a pandemic the size that hasn't been seen in a century. People understand that and just need a temporary hand. 

We are broken, our government doesn't work for a majority of Americans and some of the people that are running it are trying to break it even more and make us suspect our institutions because it suits them politically. I don't understand how that can be more important that fellow Americans with real needs. So now, not even the fucking measly $600 goes out to families because of fuckery. Everyone in power right now is giving a great argument for term limits.  

Solid take.

The way I look at it, it's like we're in a war where we conscripted a few million people (the shut-down industries) and sent them to the front lines, but we don't really send them rations or supplies. That's been done multiple times in history, by the sides that lose.

And all this false drama about how there are a few days left--- they had more than half a year. None of them care. Not McConnell, not Pelosi, not any of them. It's a game they intend to win for their parties.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

It’s truly amazing to watch people throw so much blame at Pelosi, who holds power over 1/3rd of the apparatus required to provide checks, relief, etc. Just giving McConnell and Trump a huge pass because PELOSI AHHH BOOGEYWOMAN!!!

1. House led by Pelosi passes dozens of relief and stimulus check bills that McConnell ignores - SHE SUCKS AND DOESNT DO ANYTHING

2. Pelosi gets $600 checks negotiated and passed that the Senate approves, despite how much the GOP would just do $0 if she didn’t do any heavy lifting - ONLY $600? FUCKING OUT OF TOUCH RICH BITCH KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT OUR STRUGGLES

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

You know the limit on a Taco Bell gift card is $25? I know this, because one of my son’s stocking stuffers is $50 in Taco Bell cards. I had to get two. Annoying.

A carton of cigarettes would have been better, but I guess it wasn’t a banner year.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Js1 said:

It’s truly amazing to watch people throw so much blame at Pelosi, who holds power over 1/3rd of the apparatus required to provide checks, relief, etc. Just giving McConnell and Trump a huge pass because PELOSI AHHH BOOGEYWOMAN!!!

1. House led by Pelosi passes dozens of relief and stimulus check bills that McConnell ignores - SHE SUCKS AND DOESNT DO ANYTHING

2. Pelosi gets $600 checks negotiated and passed that the Senate approves, despite how much the GOP would just do $0 if she didn’t do any heavy lifting - ONLY $600? FUCKING OUT OF TOUCH RICH BITCH KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT OUR STRUGGLES

I think it’s a real problem that too many people act as if it’s only Democratic officials that have any agency and that the real blame for this lies at Trump’s and McConnell’s feet, but Pelosi fucked up back in April when she agreed to pass a stand alone PPP bill with a promise from McConnell that he’d work with her on a separate bill for additional relief for ordinary people and state and local governments later. Mitch and the GOP were desperate to pass the PPP bill and she had a lot of leverage that she just threw away. This isn’t just hindsight, everyone at the time knew she was making a huge fucking mistake and that Mitch would never work with her on a new bill once she’d given him what he wanted.

• Hook 'Em 2

Trump is killing the GA GOP senators. From my understanding ossoff and warnock are basically agreeing with trump and asking the 2 sitting GOP senators why they refuse to vote for 2k.

Isn’t the senate today at 52-48 GOP? If the 2 GA are shamed to voting for 2k, then Pence breaks the tie, presumably for trump’s 2k wish.

15 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Trump is killing the GA GOP senators. From my understanding ossoff and warnock are basically agreeing with trump and asking the 2 sitting GOP senators why they refuse to vote for 2k.

Isn’t the senate today at 52-48 GOP? If the 2 GA are shamed to voting for 2k, then Pence breaks the tie, presumably for trump’s 2k wish.

Naw, if Mitch can’t hold opposition against it he’ll let all the guys running in 2022 vote for it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

Naw, if Mitch can’t hold opposition against it he’ll let all the guys running in 2022 vote for it.

You’re 100% right. Mitch isn’t going to be on the losing side. If he doesn’t have the votes, the vote will be something like 99-1 for 2k.

I imagine that Mitch is now trying to understand trumps opposition to the pork in the bill. Is it a dealbreaker for trump or not.  Mitch also will want to understand what more he can get for corps and billionaires if the people are getting 2k.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You’re 100% right. Mitch isn’t going to be on the losing side. If he doesn’t have the votes, the vote will be something like 99-1 for 2k.

I imagine that Mitch is now trying to understand trumps opposition to the pork in the bill. Is it a dealbreaker for trump or not.  Mitch also will want to understand what more he can get for corps and billionaires if the people are getting 2k.

Trump doesn’t care about the pork, he cares about the anti-money laundering shit and the lack of Section 230 repeal. He probably doesn’t even really care about those and is just doing this because he wants to burn everything down.

2 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

maybe middle/upper middle class people hold off on calling the poors ungrateful in a year where we destroyed their ability to make a living because science hurts our feelings

Fuck your feelings. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps. Something something protest joke something something Soros bucks 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

Its a power play to see who has his back. If it buys votes and support all the better.

This.  And he's doubling down.  Or tripling down.  Sounds like he's going to refuse to sign it.  And it has been waiting for his signature since Friday morning when it was delivered to Mar-a-Lago.  He's trying to bend Mitch over, possibly over the Georgia runoffs and/or getting the Senate to fight it on the 6th.

There's over 70,000 federal employees in Georgia that could be furloughed, there's a shit-ton more that will be affected, and that's on top of the millions that were promised some kind of stimulus.  And that's not getting into those that will be affected by the unemployment benefits that are running out.

And Warnock and Ossoff are hammering Perdue and Loeffler over this, because the Republicans are the "Leopard ate my face" party. 

Trump is not sophisticated in any way, but his "bull running wild in a china shop" schtick could very well work, and has got to be making Mitch and the Rs sick to their stomaches.  They didn't even want to give up $600 a person, and now he's going to fuck them if they don't give up $2,000.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

I have a very close friend who is an EMT in the Atlanta area.  She's not one of those overly obese EMTs, but she does have comorbidities like heart murmur and susceptibility to bronchitis and pneumonia.   She's a single mom, with no spousal support (long story).   In April she was coming off pneumonia, and they told her to come in before her doctor released her.  She was in the ambulance during the race protests.  Some might remember that, had a brick thrown through her window into her lap.  

Her employers are a for profit company.  They provided scant to no PPE.  She finally caught Covid in late August.  8 days at home, 10 in hospital, another 10 and home and she was threatened with losing her job if she didn't return.  She had no sick time left, and her copay for her Covid visit was $1,000 after the insurance.  Employer offered no assistance with this and offered no help in advances or anything to help with the bills piling up.  Working a lot of double shifts through great pain during breathing, and the help  of some friends, she got caught up enough to only be a month behind, and was closing that.   

Two weeks ago she got sick again, quickly turned into double pneumonia and back in the hospital.   No help from employers.  Still there. On a bipap system, maybe even a ventilator by now, since our  communication is spotty due to her being in and out and dependent on hospital wifi, since her phone was cut off.

I say all that to point out the rage I feel for asses like McConnell who are fighting so hard to limit or completely nullify any liability these corporations have for how they treat their employees be they medical folks, first responders, meat packers, stockers and other front line workers.   How they killed off any front line hazard duty bonus pay.    Fuck these assholes who are getting rich off of this, while so many others are just trying to survive, literally.   To keep a roof over their family's heads and bellies with food, much less think about a christmas present.    

They bitch about $2000, but there was a big article last week that stated that the top echelon of billionaires could write each and every American a $3000 check right now, and still be richer than they were when all this started in April.  How the fuck is that even acceptable.  But these damn charlatans keep dancing to the rich organ grinders tune, like their paid fucking monkeys in their little MAGA hats.   

Rant over, fuck 2020.  No good came of this year.  

https://www.businessinsider.com/billionaires-net-worths-have-grown-to-4-trillion-during-pandemic-2020-12

Good post. People can stupidly blame Pelosi and the Dems or rightfully blame the millionaire Republican senators and their piece of shit President and their mega billionaire donors refusing any deal that doesn’t shield the rich guys from liability in exchange for peanuts to the people actually suffering. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

or rightfully blame the millionaire Republican senators and their piece of shit President and their mega billionaire donors refusing any deal that doesn’t shield the rich guys from liability in exchange for peanuts to the people actually suffering

Republicans are damned lucky the Dems have been too incompetent, or not charismatic enough, to pin a lot more shit on Republicans.  A lack of movement on stimulus/relief from April through November should have been enough to sink the Republicans in a lot more races.  

The fact that the Republicans didn't care about stimulus/relief until the Georgia runoffs were in doubt should also be telling, but nope, The Dems do not do a good job of pinning this on Rs.  

For all of the screaming about the "LAMESTREAM MEDIA THAT'S IN THE BAG FOR THE DEMOCRATS", the media has done a shitty job of hammering away at Mitch and Co. over this.

I know a shitload of folks who have been hurt by the economy/covid, that could really use some kind of additional aid at this point.  

I'm really surprised that Mitch didn't have a grasp on this situation and let Donnie blow it up.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

I have a very close friend who is an EMT in the Atlanta area.  She's not one of those overly obese EMTs, but she does have comorbidities like heart murmur and susceptibility to bronchitis and pneumonia.   She's a single mom, with no spousal support (long story).   In April she was coming off pneumonia, and they told her to come in before her doctor released her.  She was in the ambulance during the race protests.  Some might remember that, had a brick thrown through her window into her lap.  

Her employers are a for profit company.  They provided scant to no PPE.  She finally caught Covid in late August.  8 days at home, 10 in hospital, another 10 and home and she was threatened with losing her job if she didn't return.  She had no sick time left, and her copay for her Covid visit was $1,000 after the insurance.  Employer offered no assistance with this and offered no help in advances or anything to help with the bills piling up.  Working a lot of double shifts through great pain during breathing, and the help  of some friends, she got caught up enough to only be a month behind, and was closing that.   

Two weeks ago she got sick again, quickly turned into double pneumonia and back in the hospital.   No help from employers.  Still there. On a bipap system, maybe even a ventilator by now, since our  communication is spotty due to her being in and out and dependent on hospital wifi, since her phone was cut off.

I say all that to point out the rage I feel for asses like McConnell who are fighting so hard to limit or completely nullify any liability these corporations have for how they treat their employees be they medical folks, first responders, meat packers, stockers and other front line workers.   How they killed off any front line hazard duty bonus pay.    Fuck these assholes who are getting rich off of this, while so many others are just trying to survive, literally.   To keep a roof over their family's heads and bellies with food, much less think about a christmas present.    

They bitch about $2000, but there was a big article last week that stated that the top echelon of billionaires could write each and every American a $3000 check right now, and still be richer than they were when all this started in April.  How the fuck is that even acceptable.  But these damn charlatans keep dancing to the rich organ grinders tune, like their paid fucking monkeys in their little MAGA hats.   

Rant over, fuck 2020.  No good came of this year.  

https://www.businessinsider.com/billionaires-net-worths-have-grown-to-4-trillion-during-pandemic-2020-12

That is heartbreaking and rage inducing at the same time.  How companies could shit on employees like this in the great country of 'MERICA. Fucking terrible.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't believe they are even going to be able to keep the government running. I don't have faith in anybody doing anything right because they won't work together for our sake.  We need to get mad at all of them. These are fucking adults that need to find a way to agree for the betterment of all. Fuck the political games. Find a way to help even if you make the other side look good. EVERYONE is failing us. I may be seeing things wrong because I am so frustrated with them but FUCK! If you aren't feeling disgust with the lot of them then you are better person then me. So many good people are fucked hard because of their failure.

If Pelosi pulls the gambit of getting the $2000 to families in need instead of this being political theater to appear like a hero then I will write her a love letter.  Sadly, I don't see that happening. 

angry gary oldman GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

They negotiated directly with Mnuchin and met the White House exactly where they wanted on the pork. There’s negligible differences between what the Admin wanted and what the bill gave them. 

It’s not Congress’ fault that Trump abdicated negotiations to Mnuchin and didn’t even tweet or say a word about $2k payments until after the fact. I’m sure Mnuchin downed an entire bottle of something in frustration. 

Toddler in Chief is throwing another temper tantrum because he’s mad Congress won’t make him President again. He himself is to blame if the bill gets vetoed. 

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

They need to just override Trump on the $600 legislation so something is in place and then come back with additional relief ASAP after that.   Fuck letting him hold anything up.  

Edit - I see they waited long enough to do anything that the session will end before his 10 days to sign or veto are up, so he could pocket veto and they can’t even override.   Nice job, you incompetent dipshits.

If I was Mitch, I'd be busting balls to get something done, because yeah, they fucked around and left it open to a pocket veto, which means a whole shitload of federal employees in Georgia are going to get furloughed just as the runoffs are happening, impacting them and their families, not to mention people who thought they were getting something and now they aren't (either group is more than enough to tip the scales to the Dems).

And if the Georgia runoffs give it to the Dems, then Pelosi and Schumer will be pushing through $2,000 and more come January 21st while Turtle flails around on his back.

The two grand is a ruse to get everyone to think that America made the wrong choice in getting rid of Trump, instead of those congressional do nothing politicians like McConnell, Graham, et al who wouldn't back Trump.   

Just a last ditch attempt for the country to love him and say "Aw, shit, we done fucked up."

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

I don't believe they are even going to be able to keep the government running. I don't have faith in anybody doing anything right because they won't work together for our sake.  We need to get mad at all of them. These are fucking adults that need to find a way to agree for the betterment of all. Fuck the political games. Find a way to help even if you make the other side look good. EVERYONE is failing us. I may be seeing things wrong because I am so frustrated with them but FUCK! If you aren't feeling disgust with the lot of them then you are better person then me. So many good people are fucked hard because of their failure.

If Pelosi pulls the gambit of getting the $2000 to families in need instead of this being political theater to appear like a hero then I will write her a love letter.  Sadly, I don't see that happening. 

angry gary oldman GIF

The GOP is completely fine with shutting down the federal government and abandoning hundreds of thousands of Americans to death and tens of millions to poverty. It’s arguably the entire goal of their party.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Also- I’m happy with how my original post held up:

1) give everyone money

2) give people a bonus that got a low paying job back to incentivize work/make it pay more than unemployment

3) give low wage frontline people a thank you bonus for risking their lives. 

What didn’t hold up?  I thought it would get done in August. Whoops. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

The GOP is completely fine with shutting down the federal government and abandoning hundreds of thousands of Americans to death and tens of millions to poverty. It’s arguably the entire goal of their party.

It’s all about persona and nothing about results or consequences.

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

This is what gets their dick hard. Plus they’d love to cripple Biden with a bad short term economy, no stimulus, no Senate and poor economic outlook. 

• Like 1

Two things are bubbling in that head of his.

Jina and $2,000

He was tweeting this after midnight, his time.

I have no idea what the hell is percolating in his head, but he's going to help the Dems in Georgia out.

Can't wait for a reporter to ask Lindsey why he won't give Donnie what he wants, and Lindsey responds with something about "this is not the appropriate time" or "this is what  the Democrats want" and then Trump to see that and unload on twitter again.