Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

On 9/24/2021 at 6:12 PM, shadow_operative said:

i really liked this episode until the eulogy. surely they could have come up with something better than that. kind of a weird end to what i thought had been a pretty powerful, yet still funny, episode. 

me too.. i was really enjoying it up to that point..

and then i leaned over to my wife and said... "watch.. Ted's going to sing a line after some awkward silence, then the whole congregation will start singing"

🙄

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 1

this show can't continue to avoid the actual soccer that's currently being played behind the scenes. with the position the club is in, NOTHING would be on anyone's mind but promotion. playing for promotion is bigger than the NCAA Tourney, the World Series, and the Super Bowl combined. there is literally nothing in professional club sports that comes even close, and nobody on the show is even talking about it.

the entire livelihood of the club- not to mention it's players, rests on this one upcoming game. it's such an inherently dramatic moment, but instead of even acknowledging it we're over here focusing on Roy and Keely's suddenly rocky relationship, amd what a POS Nate turned into overnight, and where Sam is going to play next year. which, btw, his decision will be greatly affected by whether or not Richmond gets promoted or stays down. the writers have the most dramatic event in all of sports sitting right in front of them and instead they're spending each episode focusing on the personal relationships of half the cast. not a fan of that.

Edited by shadow_operative

also, that dude who played the Ghanaian billionaire- isn't he some shitty improv comedy actor who's been on SNL, or featured in some terrible sitcoms before? every time i saw him i just kept feeling like he's this shitty american comedic actor and i couldn't stop focusing on that. maybe he was on SNL with JS? 

by the way- and i say this knowing that 98% of this thread doesn't care- but athletes have agents and intermediaries who handle the business side of things. your star fullback doesn't just go out for coffee on the eve of the biggest match of his life so that he can listen to an offer to leave his current club. i know that handling this in a realistic way doesn't make for great TV, but the way they handled it didn't do anything for me either. they should have waited for that storyline until after Richmond had earned promotion, when Sam's profile would be at its highest, and when he'd really have a tough decision to make, being that his club is now in the EPL, and he's a burgeoning star with a fat new contract offer on the table from Richmond.

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

this show can't continue to avoid the actual soccer that's currently being played behind the scenes. with the position the club is in, NOTHING would be on anyone's mind but promotion. playing for promotion is bigger than the. NCAA Tourney, the World Series, and the Super Bowl combined. there is literally nothing in professional club sports that comes even close, and nobody on the show is even talking about. the entire livelihood of the club- not to mention it's players, rests on this one upcoming game. it's such an inherently dramatic moment, but instead of even acknowledging it we're over here suddenly focusing on Roy and Keely's suddenly rocky relationship, and where Sam is going to play next year. which, btw, his decision will be greatly affected by whether or not Richmond gets promoted or stays down. the writers have the most dramatic event in all of sports sitting right in front of them and instead they're spending each episode focusing on the personal relationships of half the cast. not a fan of that.

It’s because 90% of the fanbase for thIs show right now don’t know any of that. They don’t know how big a deal it is and they don’t really care.

I thought this was a good episode and a call back to season 1 quality humor. I wish we could have heard the letter she wrote, but I guess that’s okay because it probably wouldn’t have been as good as leaving it to the imagination.

I get a bunch more chemistry from the teacher and Roy than keely and Roy and won’t be too shocked when they have a saccharine moment of “mature love” when they realize they are better with other people— they’ve been mismatched the whole time IMO.

The Nate thing must be addressed. He is disloyal and unlikeable and the real bad guy these days. 

The guy that’s only worth $1.2bn but acting like he’s Elon Musk is weird. Can you even buy a soccer club for $1bn? I don’t think you can buy an NBA or NFL team for so little….

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

also, that dude who played the Ghanaian billionaire- isn't he some shitty improv comedy actor who's been on SNL, or featured in some terrible sitcoms before? every time i saw him i just kept feeling like he's this shitty american comedic actor and i couldn't stop focusing on that. maybe he was on SNL with JS? 

by the way- and i say this knowing that 98% of this thread doesn't care- but athletes have agents and intermediaries who handle the business side of things. your star fullback doesn't just go out for coffee on the eve of the biggest match of his life so that he can listen to an offer to leave his current club. i know that handling this in a realistic way doesn't make for great TV, but the way they handled it didn't do anything for me either. they should have waited for that storyline until after Richmond had earned promotion, when Sam's profile would be at its highest, and when he'd really have a tough decision to make, being that his club is now in the EPL, and he's a burgeoning star with a fat new contract offer on the table from Richmond.

Badmouthing Richard Splett? Wow…

Edited by 4th&Five
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

The guy that’s only worth $1.2bn but acting like he’s Elon Musk is weird. Can you even buy a soccer club for $1bn? I don’t think you can buy an NBA or NFL team for so little….

Are you asking if a billionaire could buy a soccer club in Africa?

The most valuable club in Africa is only worth about 30m euros.   Wydad Casabalanca is like 13m euros. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

The Nate thing must be addressed. He is disloyal and unlikeable and the real bad guy these days. 

remind me- how much time has elapsed since we very first saw Nate in the pilot episode? his heel turn just doesn't feel natural to me at all. he's gone from an ultra submissive, spineless jellyfish to a giant prick who constantly undermines everyone who's responsible for his absolutely unreal ascent from club grass cutter to a well known English football coach with strangely gray hair. i liked him a lot better in his original role, and i think that watching him gradually grow into his own voice would have been more satisfying than watching him turn into a villain for no real reason. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

remind me- how much time has elapsed since we very first saw Nate in the pilot episode? his heel turn just doesn't feel natural to me at all. he's gone from an ultra submissive, spineless jellyfish to a giant prick who constantly undermines everyone who's responsible for his absolutely unreal ascent from club grass cutter to a well known English football coach with strangely gray hair. i liked him a lot better in his original role, and i think that watching him gradually grow into his own voice would have been more satisfying than watching him turn into a villain for no real reason. 

Almost 2 years? I buy that people can change like that in that amount of time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

this show can't continue to avoid the actual soccer that's currently being played behind the scenes. with the position the club is in, NOTHING would be on anyone's mind but promotion. playing for promotion is bigger than the NCAA Tourney, the World Series, and the Super Bowl combined. there is literally nothing in professional club sports that comes even close, and nobody on the show is even talking about it.

the entire livelihood of the club- not to mention it's players, rests on this one upcoming game. it's such an inherently dramatic moment, but instead of even acknowledging it we're over here focusing on Roy and Keely's suddenly rocky relationship, amd what a POS Nate turned into overnight, and where Sam is going to play next year. which, btw, his decision will be greatly affected by whether or not Richmond gets promoted or stays down. the writers have the most dramatic event in all of sports sitting right in front of them and instead they're spending each episode focusing on the personal relationships of half the cast. not a fan of that.

Derka, as a soccer fan I hear ya, but fucking Wichita State doesn't even have a fucking football team and that's where Ted Lasso came from.....think about that for a moment.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

People who have been bullied their entire existence who all of a sudden by whatever circumstance, luck/talent/etc, find themselves in a position of power/authority often do exactly what Nate is doing.  Most of the time they spend the rest of their lives being unredeemable shitbags.  The question is will that be Nate's fate.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

Derka, as a soccer fan I hear ya, but fucking Wichita State doesn't even have a fucking football team and that's where Ted Lasso came from.....think about that for a moment.  

yeah i get it, but i'm sorry, you can't have a tv show that's based around a football club and it's owner, manager, coaches, and players and then essentially ignore the football. they've managed to ignore it for the first 11 episodes, and that's fine, i get it. but to have them on the verge of promotion and to dedicate one throwaway background line about it is just a no-go for me. it would be like if you had a powerball ticket in your hand and you'd gotten the first five numbers correct and then you just turned off the TV, put your ticket in a drawer somewhere and then started focusing on the love lives of everyone around you. it's simply too bug to ignore, even if the show isn't based in reality. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

People who have been bullied their entire existence who all of a sudden by whatever circumstance, luck/talent/etc, find themselves in a position of power/authority often do exactly what Nate is doing.  Most of the time they spend the rest of their lives being unredeemable shitbags.  The question is will that be Nate's fate.

yeah. it how much time has gone by? that's what i'm trying to remember. it feels like this heel turn has happened awfully fast, but if it has been two full years then i guess that's not as sudden of a turn as i've been perceiving it to be.

Just now, shadow_operative said:

yeah i get it, but i'm sorry, you can't have a tv show that's based around a football club and it's owner, manager, coaches, and players and then essentially ignore the football. they've managed to ignore it for the first 11 episodes, and that's fine, i get it. but to have them on the verge of promotion and to dedicate one throwaway background line about it is just a no-go for me. it would be like if you had a powerball ticket in your hand and you'd gotten the first five numbers correct and then you just turned off the TV, put your ticket in a drawer somewhere and then started focusing on the love lives of everyone around you. it's simply too bug to ignore, even if the show isn't based in reality. 

Right, that's your view (and a bit mine) because we know futbol, the most valuable game in the world etc....the average American consuming this doesn't know shit about any of that and isn't going to learn it even if the whole episode is about it.  The show is about the characters lives, families, relationship etc....soccer is just a framework for the exposition.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah. it how much time has gone by? that's what i'm trying to remember. it feels like this heel turn has happened awfully fast, but if it has been two full years then i guess that's not as sudden of a turn as i've been perceiving it to be.

It's close to 18 months real time since the start of the series (if you want to think Ted shows up sometime in the summer before the season of the first series and they are at the close of the second season). The heel turn started with him being a bit of a bitch to the kit man but it got put on steroids with him getting confidence built up by Rachel/Kelley, adopting his spit routine and then getting the big head with the Spurs quarterfinal win.  But again it doesn't take that long to flip quickly when you've been treated like a bitch your entire existence by your dad, women, the club and all of a sudden all is "right" in the world.  

48 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Hope Nate gets the guillotine. Head needs to roll

Spoiler

Feels like all the outside distractions (the Independent article, Nate/Rupert, Sam, Keeley/Roy/Jamie) means they lose the final match. 

But it would be really lame if Apple decided both seasons had to end on bitter losses.

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

It's like watching Coach and bitching that it's not really like CFB.  No shit.

no, it's really not like that. as i've said, they really haven't even touched on the actual football this entire season through 11 episodes, and you haven't heard me complaining about it. but THIS specific scenario is too monumentally important to everyone involved in the show for it to not even be addressed. 

but PLEASE, please don't let that stop you and the rest of the fanboys from this routine where literally any minor criticism of the show is met with total incredulity and a pos rep circle jerk. if the next episode revealed that Rebecca was a hermaphrodite alien from Planet Blorgon you'd respond the exact same way you are now- with your eyes closed and your fingers in your ears, repeating to yourself, "my show is perfect, my show is perfect, my show is perfect." 

3 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

It’s just a silly TV show, dude. 

yeah. exactly. that's why it's so puzzling and goofy to me when you guys act like it's completely infallible, and that you all simply will not be hearing anything even remotely critical about it, no siree. not gonna entertain anything that says the show isn't perfect, no way no how. 

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

ITS NOT ACTUALLY ABOUT SOCCER

and neither is the point i'm making. the show is about the people, right? Ted has issues with his dad and his wife; the therapist has a drinking problem and some obvious demons; jamie has a shitty dad, roy has relationships with keely and phoebe, rebecca has complicated relationships with Sam and Rupert, and on and on and on. right? right.

well, there is an event that's about to take place which could drastically alter the lives of everyone involved in the club, and yet there's been zero build up to it, and essentially no mention of it. you guys act like i'm over here complaining that they aren't showing full matches including half time adjustments and subs, when in reality i'm simply pointing out that all of these characters have something monumental on the horizon for them, and it essentially hasn't been mentioned. it's not about soccer- it's about the lives of the people on the show. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

That’s what I’m saying. It’s not perfect. It’s a silly show that I treat as such. It’s one of the least believable premises on tv. Just go with it because it’s enjoyable. 

i think that you and i are closer to being on the same page than we think. to try and keep it short, just read my second paragraph in my last post- i'm not complaining about a lack of soccer, i'm pointing out that we have a major life event that's about to happen for everyone at the club, and that there's been no mention or build up to it. 

24 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m fucking stunned and dumbfounded. There’s no way it’s accurate. 

Coach wasn’t an accurate representation of college football?

All college football teams have 3 coaches and 14 players. Pioneer Bowl was a turning point in my love for college football. 

2 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

Somehow I just knew that it would be a fucking worthless Derka-fest in here... rather than commenting on what was an excellent episode setting up the season finale of one of my favorite shows right now.

Jesus dude ... sit this one out.  You can't even be consistent with your own rantings from the previous page.   No one cares what you have to say at this point.  You're just a seagull poster ... you swoop in, squawk and flap your wings, shit everywhere, and then fly away.

and yet you come in here exclusively to bitch about my opinions, and not even to post about the show. shut up and put me on ignore if my opinions trigger you so severely. 

edited to add that this goes for the rest of you. your whiny, bitchy posts about my posts are objectively a bigger thread shit than anything i've ever posted in this thread. you guys are completely self deluded. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

and yet you come in here exclusively to bitch about my opinions, and not even to post about the show. shut up and put me on ignore if my opinions trigger you so severely. 

edited to add that this goes for the rest of you. your whiny, bitchy posts about my posts are objectively a bigger thread shit than anything i've ever posted in this thread. you guys are completely self deluded. 

Dude just stop.  You've got a legitimate gripe but you've got to remember that it's an American show catering to an American audience.  Everyone's problem here is not your complaint but rather that you have posted 13 times about it already before most of us have even had a chance to watch the show.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Dude just stop.  You've got a legitimate gripe but you've got to remember that it's an American show catering to an American audience.  Everyone's problem here is not your complaint but rather that you have posted 13 times about it already before most of us have even had a chance to watch the show.

i had a small back and forth about the show with two posters which ended with zero issue on either side. that should have been the end of it.

except that then, hours later, ramjet, deej, rex kramer, and bolverk all come charging into the thread like the retard brigade and just completely shit all over it with bombastic, over the top reactions to my posts from said conversation. THEY shit all over thread with their idiotic nonsense, and then have the gall to cry about the thread being ruined. mind numbing levels of childish stupidity is all that is.

• Haha 1

Just now, HiggyBaby said:

The Roy and Keely thing can go either way IMO. He pops the question in the finale or lays wood to the teacher.

Nate’s character is irredeemable. Not sure what the writers intent is here.

And what did the doc write to Ted in the letter?

i thought for a second that doc was going to profess her amorous feelings for Ted. glad they didn't actually go that way.