Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

sounds like i need to watch veep. the highlights that hg sent me yeats ago were great. i remember something along the lines of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Asshole" or something like that. plus, JLD has aged like a fine wine.

Top 5 all-time show for me. It's fantastic.

14 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

to that club, or to all soccer fans?  i'm honestly asking.

mostly to the clubs/fans involved in the promotion final. it's a very exciting event to tune in to and watch for all soccer fans, especially in England, but the Champions League Final for example is a much bigger event for soccer fans around Europe/the world.

Ultimately this show is thumbing it's nose at the Derka's of the world because the rabid American soccer fan like Derka make up 1% of the audience of Ted Lasso. Ted Lasso Season 2 is a show for people who like feel good, goofy comedies and rom-com's and crap like that, so it probably skews very female and and slightly dorky/nerdy guys who enjoy meta-references and schlocky writing and humor.

This show is not mainly for people who enjoy playing FIFA2021 on your Xbox and laugh at funny things and root for the underdog in a very unique and clever way-- that was Season 1.

This show is now for people who loved Friends and who think Roy Kent is a cool guy and love him as a character:

Grrrr. Oi...Grrrr Fffffff-uuuuu. Oi grrrr I'm hirsute.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

yeah, did you read my follow-up sentence?

yes? Am I supposed to believe there’s no major major financial stakes between relegation and promotion simply because the show didn’t mention it? It is supposed to be set with the real EPL as a back drop, so certain things shouldn’t require the show to spell it out. Like I don’t need to have Ted Lasso run through a fact like Man U plays at Old Trafford - it should be assumed 

8 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

yes? Am I supposed to believe there’s no major major financial stakes between relegation and promotion simply because the show didn’t mention it? It is supposed to be set with the real EPL as a back drop, so certain things shouldn’t require the show to spell it out. Like I don’t need to have Ted Lasso run through a fact like Man U plays at Old Trafford - it should be assumed 

BUT IF you need that...he'll oblige you 

8 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

i'm not at all sure what you're saying here.  i asked a question about what it means to the show, not what it means.  you pointed out what it meant in real life, which has zero relevance to the point i was making.  though it does underscore the larger back-and-forth we've got going on this board.

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i'm not at all sure what you're saying here.  i asked a question about what it means to the show, not what it means.  you pointed out what it meant in real life, which has zero relevance to the point i was making.  though it does underscore the larger back-and-forth we've got going on this board.

It doesn't mean a lot to the show other than establishing a backdrop for next season.

8 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

My point is some things are inseparable between the show and real life because the premise or nature of the show requires those things to exist both in reality and the show. I think the stakes of promotion fall in that category. 

The meaning of being promoted was significantly downgraded when they basically ignored their own stated consequences of being relegated.  They said that teams who get relegated often get broken up with players leaving and new players being brought in.  Then the entire team somehow remained intact through promotion.  So when would the casual viewer who knows nothing about the EPL or Champions League be very worried about the benefits of getting promoted?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

My point is some things are inseparable between the show and real life because the premise or nature of the show requires those things to exist both in reality and the show. I think the stakes of promotion fall in that category. 

to soccer fans, sure.  but the truth is that the opposite has happened in the tv show.

richmond got relegated.  the team didn't disband.  the coaches kept their jobs.  rebecca hasn't bitched about the value of the team going down or less revenue generated.  the players all still have lambo's they can barely drive.

you can be happy or sad about that, but that is what has happened.  in the show.

17 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

It doesn't mean a lot to the show other than establishing a backdrop for next season.

agreed.  in fact, you could argue they likely went against their own plan for s2, for one reason or another.  the end of s1 was all about "ok, what league are we in now and how do we get de-relegated (or whatever ted called it)?"  i assumed that would be the quest for s2, but it hasn't been much of a plotline at all.

it seems clear that they're trying to do their best to cater to the average american's give-a-shit level about soccer.  that level is low.

10 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

agreed.  in fact, you could argue they likely went against their own plan for s2, for one reason or another.  the end of s1 was all about "ok, what league are we in now and how do we get de-relegated (or whatever ted called it)?"  i assumed that would be the quest for s2, but it hasn't been much of a plotline at all.

it seems clear that they're trying to do their best to cater to the average american's give-a-shit level about soccer.  that level is low.

Right.  For it to really matter success or in this case failure would have to be an existential threat to Ted.  This isn't Remember the Titans where yes there was a lot of plot about growing friendships, racial reconciliation, etc but you knew because the movie made clear that one loss and Herman was out and so while football wasn't on the screen the whole time it was a much more meaningful part of the landscape.  

At least at this point that threat doesn't really exist.

Edited by Surly Bevo

51 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Ultimately this show is thumbing it's nose at the Derka's of the world because the rabid American soccer fan like Derka make up 1% of the audience of Ted Lasso. Ted Lasso Season 2 is a show for people who like feel good, goofy comedies and rom-com's and crap like that, so it probably skews very female and and slightly dorky/nerdy guys who enjoy meta-references and schlocky writing and humor.

This show is not mainly for people who enjoy playing FIFA2021 on your Xbox and laugh at funny things and root for the underdog in a very unique and clever way-- that was Season 1.

This show is now for people who loved Friends and who think Roy Kent is a cool guy and love him as a character:

bartolo-colon.gif

I hated Friends.  

Also, Ted Lasso Season 2 is for adults who can appreciate a well written show set on an English Football Club about far more than soccer.  It's not for incels with nothing better to do than convince the Internet they are the only one with the right answer.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Just now, DDD Dad said:

bartolo-colon.gif

I hated Friends.  

Also, Ted Lasso Season 2 is for adults who can appreciate a well written show set on an English Football Club about far more than soccer.  It's not for incels with nothing better to do than convince the Internet they are the only one with the right answer.

image.png.9d52922c6fe42ab24a680ec7a9eb4a70.png

Premise: Ted Lasso coaching a team of players who are picking up the soccer ball and throwing it with their hands and one guy is on horseback and the other has a quidditch wand.

Reasonable human beings: Uhhh, that's not at all what soccer is like. Don't we need a shared understanding of soccer (which is admittedly not the focus but a backdrop) for this show to be rounded out and really work? Shouldn't we all buy-in and generally agree there is some tie to reality, even if not technically accurate for the rabid fan?

Surly Ted Lasso fans: IT'S NOT ABOUT THE NAIL!

8 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Premise: Ted Lasso coaching a team of players who are picking up the soccer ball and throwing it with their hands and one guy is on horseback and the other has a quidditch wand.

Reasonable human beings: Uhhh, that's not at all what soccer is like. Don't we need a shared understanding of soccer (which is admittedly not the focus but a backdrop) for this show to be rounded out and really work? Shouldn't we all buy-in and generally agree there is some tie to reality, even if not technically accurate for the rabid fan?

What's your point here?  The show has done enough to show you what soccer, and frankly big time soccer is all about.  

I mean if you want to be entertained by the emotion and detail of soccer just quit Ted Lasso and watch this shit instead

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

sure, but an analogy i would make is from The Office (USA), when the Scranton branch thought they might get axed and/or absorbed by Stamford. it's not 100% analogous, in the sense that Richmond will still exist regardless of whether or not they get promoted, but it is the same in the sense that there is this giant, looming event that is hanging over the heads of everyone involved with the club, and in all reality it would be at the forefront of everyone's minds at this point. i found it/still find it odd that there's been essentially no mention of this fact as we approach the season finale.

and with that said, hopefully some of y'all can see that this whole "derka is freaking out because they don't show enough soccer action!!!!!" has been blown wildly out of proportion. me finding it odd that this monumental event hasn't really been mentioned didn't really warrant such a spastic freak out from so many. it's such a small quibble and it's a legitimate point. it didn't warrant a giant thread derail that forced a mod to come in here and get it under control. just saying. 

6 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

What's your point here?  The show has done enough to show you what soccer, and frankly big time soccer is all about.  

The point is in how divorcing the realities of soccer as a business and the consequences (the relegation conversation) cannot and should not be so readily discounted and shooed away as problematic details because by doing so you are breaking the entire fabric of assumptions that make the show work as having a soccer background.

To put it another way for the old and the tv dorks alike (this entire thread now except for me, since the smartest guy in the room Brickhorn left, sadly), it would be like having WKRP Cincinnati, which is a show with a backdrop of a radio station I think but not about the radio business, and having a storyline where ratings are plummeting and have it never be a fear for the workers with respect to revenue or whatever.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

39 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

to soccer fans, sure.  but the truth is that the opposite has happened in the tv show.

richmond got relegated.  the team didn't disband.  the coaches kept their jobs.  rebecca hasn't bitched about the value of the team going down or less revenue generated.  the players all still have lambo's they can barely drive.

you can be happy or sad about that, but that is what has happened.  in the show.

i will say that at the end of the day that this post ^^^ does a good job of responding to my quibble about the promotion playoffs not being mentioned. within the framework of the show it isn't really all that surprising given that relegation changed almost nothing about the club or its players. 

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Hurrrrr Durrr!

DC, I think I get what you're driving at.  Most of us posting here believe there is some tie to reality for the show, although it does strain one's sense of credulity to think that an American Football coach of a college program that never has existed would ever be hired to coach a Premier League team EVEN if the owner was trying to ruin the club.

But by all means, please continue to enlighten us on how we're all just dorks/nerds because we happen to enjoy suspending reality to watch a show that has at least a tangential relationship with what most Americans think English soccer is.  Maybe you could enlist Derka to help you.

39 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

sure, but an analogy i would make is from The Office (USA), when the Scranton branch thought they might get axed and/or absorbed by Stamford. it's not 100% analogous, in the sense that Richmond will still exist regardless of whether or not they get promoted, but it is the same in the sense that there is this giant, looming event that is hanging over the heads of everyone involved with the club, and in all reality it would be at the forefront of everyone's minds at this point. i found it/still find it odd that there's been essentially no mention of this fact as we approach the season finale.

and with that said, hopefully some of y'all can see that this whole "derka is freaking out because they don't show enough soccer action!!!!!" has been blown wildly out of proportion. me finding it odd that this monumental event hasn't really been mentioned didn't really warrant such a spastic freak out from so many. it's such a small quibble and it's a legitimate point. it didn't warrant a giant thread derail that forced a mod to come in here and get it under control. just saying. 

But it's much more fun to tease you.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

to that club, or to all soccer fans?  i'm honestly asking.

To the club. He’s totally over blowing it  

As a whole the playoff is a fun thing but frankly give me a Super Bowl or the Champions League final. Those have the world watching. There might be some people watching the promotion but it’s not the draw of title games at the top level. CHRIST that promotion game isn’t even the top teams in the 2nd tier, but the winner of a tourney between teams 3-6. 

Btw - as far as why promotion for the show? Because they were relegated last year. They want to get back to where they were. As a show they haven’t done a lot to keep you abreast of the team during the season. But come end of show season, they told you 1 win and they were promoted. 

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

To the club. He’s totally over blowing it  

As a whole the playoff is a fun thing but frankly give me a Super Bowl or the Champions League final. Those have the world watching. There might be some people watching the promotion but it’s not the draw of title games at the top level. CHRIST that promotion game isn’t even the top teams in the 2nd tier, but the winner of a tourney between teams 3-6. 

Btw - as far as why promotion for the show? Because they were relegated last year. They want to get back to where they were. As a show they haven’t done a lot to keep you abreast of the team during the season. But come end of show season, they told you 1 win and they were promoted. 

you're talking about the popularity of the event; i'm talking about the importance.

12 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

well he was responding to my question. is it important or is it important to the club?

and i was responding to him saying that i was "over blowing" the importance of the match. the importance of this match really can't be overstated. but as i said when i answered your question, the popularity/prestige of this match pales in comparison to something like the UEFA Champions League Final. 

Edited by shadow_operative

and i was responding to him saying that i was "over blowing" the importance of the match. the importance of this match really can't be overstated. but as i said when i answered your question, the popularity/prestige of this match pales in comparison to something like the UEFA Champions League Final. 

Lots of “I’s”
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

From watching the actual documentary, Sunderland for Life, that deals with relegation, yes the only thing that matters after relegation is promotion back.

I also agree that it doesn't matter for the show whether they are promoted or not. They seem to find plotlines just fine with being in the second tier. in real life relegation creates financial pressures/changes but the writers can decide for themselves how to handle it.  Most likely they don't want to overly confuse Americans unfamiliar with English football tier rules so why spend much time discussing it.

From watching the actual documentary, Sunderland for Life, that deals with relegation, yes the only thing that matters after relegation is promotion back.
I also agree that it doesn't matter for the show whether they are promoted or not. They seem to find plotlines just fine with being in the second tier. in real life relegation creates financial pressures/changes but the writers can decide for themselves how to handle it.  Most likely they don't want to overly confuse Americans unfamiliar with English football tier rules so why spend much time discussing it.

And to be fair to the show there have been at least some passing references to financial repercussions of relegation this season.

2 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

And to be fair to the show there have been at least some passing references to financial repercussions of relegation this season.

absolutely but there is also a bit of suspension of disbelief especially with financial matters. They went from a made-up airline being the kit/jersey sponsor, Dubai Air, to a start-up dating app.  A dating app owned (partially) by the club's marketing director. that would be a huge hit for the team, and potentially open them up to a lawsuit.

From my understanding, second tier wouldn't make a team destitute but it would quickly lead to changes for a EPL relegated team unless the owner was just pouring money into operations. One thing i learned from the Sunderland documentary is that many players have clauses in their contract that can lower compensation if the team is relegated. Obviously some players can negotiate that clause out. This immediately helps a relegated team with the largest expense: players.

41 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

They seem to find plotlines just fine with being in the second tier. in real life relegation creates financial pressures/changes but the writers can decide for themselves how to handle it.  Most likely they don't want to overly confuse Americans unfamiliar with English football tier rules so why spend much time discussing it.

The bigger reason is that no one except for Derka is clamoring for the real world soccer high stakes drama of accountants shifting money and investments around to keep paychecks flowing and the long days working with the management team to build a transfer budget with shrinking TV and sponsorship revenue.  

Derka probably got a semi reading that plot synopsis.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

The bigger reason is that no one except for Derka is clamoring for the real world soccer high stakes drama of accountants shifting money and investments around to keep paychecks flowing and the long days working with the management team to build a transfer budget with shrinking TV and sponsorship revenue.  

Derka probably got a semi reading that plot synopsis.

Isn't that the plot of Moneyball?

• Haha 1

I’m not a EPL fan/follower, though I did play soccer for Texas (club sport, ‘90 National champ, csb)..is there any correlation to Leiscter City and Richmond? Would Ted Lasso go that route and have them realize promotion and then make a run in s3? Are there any similarities between the fictional Richmond and LC?

47 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

I’m not a EPL fan/follower, though I did play soccer for Texas (club sport, ‘90 National champ, csb)..is there any correlation to Leiscter City and Richmond? Would Ted Lasso go that route and have them realize promotion and then make a run in s3? Are there any similarities between the fictional Richmond and LC?

It's possible. Given that soccer/football is only tangential to the main story arc, it would all come down to what arc that would impact. The writers can come up with whatever scenario they want. Fail to get promoted, and Rebecca can have a sudden financial problem that leads to personnel changes.  Or perhaps Rebecca loosens the purse strings and they sign an international star after their promotion. 

We will always have some football action but its obvious that it's far from the main story.

If you think about it, the writers wanted Jamie as a regular on the show so they needed to invent a reason that Man City would dump him, and that Jamie would want to come back. So they came up with Jamie and his dating show experience which made him toxic to top tier teams.

21 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Thumbing its nose at the Derka's what?

Inability to separate fact from fiction?

Inability to let it go?

Inability to shut the fuck up??

12 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

well he was responding to my question. is it important or is it important to the club?

Right, only to the club.

You know I was thinking of your point of this (them being promoted as part of the story), and I think that the show brings up the soccer aspect as needed. The die hard fans probably recognized the run that AFCR was on and thought "Oh man they are on fire right now!" But this was literally lost in the background, a note on a board in a scene. It's only brought up as a plot point near the end of the season to move along the story.

In a way it's kind of disappointing, because the Sam storyline could have been brought along through the season, with him starting to blossom as a player and get hot, then he becomes a hot commodity in the transfer market becomes an issue in his and Rebecca's relationship. With a few throw away lines here and there, it could have still be a very side aspect to the show, but at the same time, been a side thing that simmers along and makes the story fuller. Instead these things just pop up when the show needs a plot device.

2 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

They both play soccer? <*RIM SHOT*>

Yeah, I've thought about this and I think that is a story they could very go with. Part of me has thought "They can't have AFCR win it all, it would be unrealistic" and all you have to do is look back at Leicester.

So in Leicester's case, they were promoted to the Premier League in 2014. They were only so so in 2014-15, sitting in last place for literally half the season. They ended the season super hot, winning 7 of 9 (7 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss) and stayed in the top league. The next year they continued on fire and won the league. 

So could AFCR do something similar? Possibly, and given that it wouldn't seem totally crazy.

Put me in the camp of loving the show despite the soccer stuff being on the periphery and not realistic all the time.  

One thing I'm curious about is if we know they are in the promotion playoff like we all know about or are just playing one more game that would get them back?  I know they mentioned the one game, but not sure they have it being played at Wembley.  Did I miss that?