Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

40 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Whatever. Something else would set him off and we’d all suffer. I’m not gonna walk around on eggshells. 

Have you tried ordering him to cease and desist any and all supernatural activity and return forthwith to his place of origin or nearest convenient parallel dimension?

Edited by Pato del Muerto
80s pop culture reference in the Ted lasso thread is so meta
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Js1 said:

That was great 

I wonder how much of that Sam Richardson made up on the spot.  Holy shit. 

even though i saw his rant coming it still delivered. i recently saw a video of Sam Richardson and Conan where they were going around a marketplace in Ghana, and Sam was really downplaying how well he speaks their language, and how much time he's actually spent in Ghana, but man- there's no doubt that he's heard an older Ghanain person rant like that a time or two, lol. he killed it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Good season finale. Loved the Ghana rant, that was hilarious.

I think the guy who acts as Nate has killed it this season. His character sucks and his turn has been mostly hard to watch, but he's played the role and part pretty awesome and emotionally I believed his little whiny incel mentally ill tear-stained F-you Ted Lasso you are a joke and I have earned this! bit at the end.

Also he looks like a little north korean dictator at the end which was fitting and if he really owns the baddie role and can graduate from his mewling cowardice, I think we have a nice season 3 set up with Rupert/Nate vs Ted/et al.

Roy continues to be lame to me so I don't care that he got all sad and thought they were breaking up, which they will next season, but I think that was supposed to be poignant. I'll let people who have bought into Roy as an interesting character weigh in on if that landed for them or not.

But most of all, I miss @BrickHorn. He was the best part of this thread and the real MVP of the mostly inferior Ted Lasso Season 2 which saw it decline in originality and interestingness but had a few episodes where some of the magic shined through like diamonds that glittered amongst mostly broken glass.

BrickHorn rules; I'd probably pay a subscription to read his reviews every week for season 3 if he has to be paid to be pulled back into this thread.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

10 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

great finale.

telegraphed all the rupert/nate stuff, but wish they didn’t have to ruin nate for the entire season to do it. he was one of the best parts of s1. 

s3 sets up really nicely. 

Agreed, but I honestly don’t understand Nate’s entitlement. He didn’t “earn” anything. He had no experience coaching. He was a towel boy. He has any career managing only because of Ted. They made him a villain, but the justification for hating Ted was weak. 

• Hook 'Em 6

Just now, Pig Bellmont said:

Agreed, but I honestly don’t understand Nate’s entitlement. He didn’t “earn” anything. He had no experience coaching. He was a towel boy. He has any career managing only because of Ted. They made him a villain, but the justification for hating Ted was weak. 

Yea i assumed that there was off screen justification being there, like he was a GA and came up through the ranks and bled and sweat and cried for the team or whatever, but mostly because he is the X's and O's mastermind and lives the game where as Ted is a dumb yank football coach, I guess?

6 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

But most of all, I miss @BrickHorn. He was the best part of this thread and the real MVP of the mostly inferior Ted Lasso Season 2 which saw it decline in originality and interestingness but had a few episodes where some of the magic shined through like diamonds that glittered amongst mostly broken glass.

BrickHorn rules; I'd probably pay a subscription to read his reviews every week for season 3 if he has to be paid to be pulled back into this thread.

creepy, he ain’t gonna shag you. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

totally agree.  i don't like the way the writers handled his arc this season at all.  it was uneven, illogical, and made little practical sense from a straight "believability" perspective.  this season definitely had issues with story flow, which is not uncommon in traditional sitcoms, but really hurt this particular show (which has become a 45 min dramedy anyway).

including the two standalone episodes did not help either.

season 1: a+

season 2: b-

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, henrygandorf said:

i don't know anything about patreon.  i don't know anything about onlyfans except the name.

it came up in an episode of siesta key.

But I bet our boy BrickHorn knows about all these things, and more.

Joking aside, I mostly agree with you on this season, would say;

Season 1: A+

Season 2: C+ 

Season 3: Seems like potential with pieces set up to be B or higher?

• Fuck You 2

Season 1 - A

Season 2 - B to B+

It was a middle act but it was one because of the nature of the show couldn't let everything simply go to hell, which I think would have actually been easier to pull off.  

The Nate story arc is like I have said before, Anakin Skywalker....with the homages they pay it is fairly obvious.  The entire final scene save the face shot is basically end of Revenge of the Sith where a fully formed Darth Vader (Nate) stands there apprising the work in progress on the Death Star (West Ham United) with the Emperor (Rupert).   I get the feeling we will see a lot more of Rupert (and of course Nate) next season but with all the storylines and this not being a show primarily just about Nate, it's tough to get into the minutia of his turn to the dark side.  

And on Roy, I think it's a pretty well done job of showing a guy who has always been the tough guy superstar and not allowed to show much of anything but "toughness" learning to adapt to a world after being a sports superstar where that is neither expected or particularly valued/embraced.  It gets a little ham fisted at time times but I think it's a good portrayal of showing what that transition is like....one that we have seen before in guys like Jordan always the tough, I will kill you, "and that offended me" alpha dog who now has a fucking crying meme for Christ's sake. 

Also Beard is always such understated genius but good to see him step up a bit more in this one (outside of his stand alone obviously)

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Yea i assumed that there was off screen justification being there, like he was a GA and came up through the ranks and bled and sweat and cried for the team or whatever, but mostly because he is the X's and O's mastermind and lives the game where as Ted is a dumb yank football coach, I guess?

He’s insecure and he hates that everyone likes and respects Ted despite bumbling around like a dumbass yankee and saying stupid shit and getting all the credit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He’s insecure and he hates that everyone likes and respects Ted despite bumbling around like a dumbass yankee and saying stupid shit and getting all the credit. 

Understood. But in what way did Ted ignore, neglect, or whatever-the-term-Nate-used to justify is righteous anger? Was he just putting his father's attitude on Ted in a bout of misplaced aggression? I think he was but don't understand the source of the slight he perceived.

Edit: Going back through my faulty memory banks, I can't think of an instance that would trigger such a response.

Edited by bolverk

10 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Understood. But in what way did Ted ignore, neglect, or whatever-the-term-Nate-used to justify is righteous anger? Was he just putting his father's attitude on Ted in a bout of misplaced aggression? I think he was but don't understand the source of the slight he perceived.

Edit: Going back through my faulty memory banks, I can't think of an instance that would trigger such a response.

That's what I don't get either.

I'm glad they made Nate an ass.  It's better than the whiny bullshit baby.  Make him a dick head and get on with it.  

I ordered my "Believe"  t-shirt today.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Ted hired Roy and the Roy Kent effect took hold....you must have missed when Roy proudly strided on to the field to all the cheers, chants and "She's a Rainbow" Nate was not pleased (they even focused on him in the dissonant version of that song).  That wasn't intentional by Ted to diminish Nate but that's how an emotionally stunted and insecure person would read it.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

totally agree.  i don't like the way the writers handled his arc this season at all.  it was uneven, illogical, and made little practical sense from a straight "believability" perspective.  this season definitely had issues with story flow, which is not uncommon in traditional sitcoms, but really hurt this particular show (which has become a 45 min dramedy anyway).

including the two standalone episodes did not help either.

season 1: a+

season 2: b-

I don’t like how they got there, but I think Evil Nate as a villain works. Rupert was season one and really Rebecca’s personal villain, with Ted’s being the soccer public/media. Now they bring him back and add Nate to make it more personal to Ted. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

yeah, this is why i compared him to Dany in the GoT finale. it was just like, "whaaa?" his whole stance made no sense whatsoever. if they wanted him to go down that road they should have at least given him some reasons for feeling that way. Ted has exclusively been Nate's biggest supporter and is the only reason for any of his success. so strange to have Nate feel that way with no basis for it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah, this is why i compared him to Dany in the GoT finale. it was just like, "whaaa?" his whole stance made no sense whatsoever. if they wanted him to go down that road they should have at least given him some reasons for feeling that way. Ted has exclusively been Nate's biggest supporter and is the only reason for any of his success. so strange to have Nate feel that way with no basis for it. 

Once in a while you meet an asshole that does shit for reasons that all go back to his being an asshole

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Username checks out. 

Meh, whatever.

Top assistant or offensive coordinator would have been a lot less far-fetched for a dude who was a ball boy 18 months ago. Plus, it opens up storylines of him working under a head coach who doesn't give a fuck about his general happiness. Him masquerading as a head coach just feels silly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Meh, whatever.

Top assistant or offensive coordinator would have been a lot less far-fetched for a dude who was a ball boy 18 months ago. Plus, it opens up storylines of him working under a head coach who doesn't give a fuck about his general happiness. Him masquerading as a head coach just feels silly.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist.  

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

They were definitely trying to lay the groundwork early in the season with Nate jealous of Roy being Ted's new toy and immediately giving Roy credit for turning the draw streak around. Then they just kind of dropped it, along with any other real reason for Nate to be upset at Ted.

Edited by aggie08

But most of all, I miss [mention=1645]BrickHorn[/mention]. He was the best part of this thread and the real MVP of the mostly inferior Ted Lasso Season 2 which saw it decline in originality and interestingness but had a few episodes where some of the magic shined through like diamonds that glittered amongst mostly broken glass.

Yeah no.

Keeley definitely could have compromised and gone for a week or so.  Makes me think there will be something between her and Tartt in S3

This was a great episode. Like others, I kept rewinding in my head what Ted did to Nate to make him say that shit. 

Thought it was pretty clear Trent will be working for Ted or Richmond in some capacity in S3. And I think it’s setting up to be Keeley doing something for Rupert in S3 despite what Rebecca said.  Why?  Drama, that’s why.