Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

9 hours ago, Pancho said:

Keeley definitely could have compromised and gone for a week or so.  Makes me think there will be something between her and Tartt in S3

This was a great episode. Like others, I kept rewinding in my head what Ted did to Nate to make him say that shit. 

Thought it was pretty clear Trent will be working for Ted or Richmond in some capacity in S3. And I think it’s setting up to be Keeley doing something for Rupert in S3 despite what Rebecca said.  Why?  Drama, that’s why.

Look, I love Roy. And all the obstacles the writing staff have thrown in to try to make us think their relationship is anything but solid have never done anything to shake them. If anything, the one thing that actually needed addressing (in terms of how it affected their relationship) was Roy hanging out with the teacher and feeling bad enough about it to tell Keeley. The stuff with Nate and Jamie wasn't her fault and while Roy's reactions to both of those guys were important to the episode, I'm glad it didn't cause Roy and Keeley to fight. ANYWAY, all that said, a six-week vacation is a long time for a surprise trip, especially for someone about to start a new job running their own business. Of course he was trying to do something nice for her, but I get why she said she couldn't go. Weren't they supposed to leave the next day?

11 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Meh, whatever.

Top assistant or offensive coordinator would have been a lot less far-fetched for a dude who was a ball boy 18 months ago. Plus, it opens up storylines of him working under a head coach who doesn't give a fuck about his general happiness. Him masquerading as a head coach just feels silly.

Agree. But they haven't really gone with believability much in this show so I guess this is another one of those things.

10 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

It helps to see it all laid out like this. Still, it's kind of like having to explain a joke for it to make sense. Doesn't really work if you have to do that. Nate's behavior still doesn't make sense in the overall context of the show, and I think that's my main sticking point with it. Ted Lasso was 90% comedy last season, and in my mind I still think of it as a comedy with a few bits of drama thrown in now and then. But this season the whole tone of the show shifted dramatically in the last half, and I guess I wasn't ready for it. If it was billed as a drama, and I came in every week thinking of it as a drama, maybe I would've been less thrown by everything that happened with Nate and it would've come together more organically. 

Maybe the writers wanted us to be as blindsided as Ted, by the time we got to the finale. I don't know.

I'm still here for it, though. Looking forward to season 3.

23 hours ago, Macanudo said:

That tweet from Nick fills in a lot of gaps.

It does.  My memory was foggy and couldn’t remember him really getting slighted like with the espresso machine and didn’t interpret Roy not thinking him kissing Keeley was a big deal was an insult.  Interesting that it is supposed to be interpreted that way.  

13 hours ago, austingirl said:

It helps to see it all laid out like this. Still, it's kind of like having to explain a joke for it to make sense. Doesn't really work if you have to do that. Nate's behavior still doesn't make sense in the overall context of the show, and I think that's my main sticking point with it. Ted Lasso was 90% comedy last season, and in my mind I still think of it as a comedy with a few bits of drama thrown in now and then. But this season the whole tone of the show shifted dramatically in the last half, and I guess I wasn't ready for it. If it was billed as a drama, and I came in every week thinking of it as a drama, maybe I would've been less thrown by everything that happened with Nate and it would've come together more organically. 

Maybe the writers wanted us to be as blindsided as Ted, by the time we got to the finale. I don't know.

I'm still here for it, though. Looking forward to season 3.

The explain the joke thing is sort of interesting to me because of its necessity. We had this guy feeling like he’s being insulted all season to the point of boiling and didn’t really realize it because it was hard to see it from his perspective.  Kind of a good message.  

Great finale for the season, despite a few rocky bits. I agree that the tweet about Nate helps clarify things. I think it's hard for most of us to see those things because we don't all have a chip on our shoulder, but it does help make things make more sense.

Also, I almost hate to say it, but Derka did have a bit of a point earlier about how much promotion means. I don't follow soccer, but have been learning the game and actually taking some lessons as my daughter is starting to play it and I want to be able to help her out as she grows, but if being promoted to the premier league is that big of a deal with consequences like completely reorganizing the talent, then that was a great opportunity to toss some of that into the mix. Ultimately I think they made the right call, however. Americans dont really know squat about soccer and how big of a deal it is where they don't play proper football and they chose to focus on the dramatic aspects. If this was the kind of show that has 20 or more episodes per season it would have been a tragedy to leave that plotline out, but they only have ten real episodes, so that stuff would just be a distraction from where they are trying to take it.

On 10/8/2021 at 9:13 PM, Pig Bellmont said:

Agreed, but I honestly don’t understand Nate’s entitlement. He didn’t “earn” anything. He had no experience coaching. He was a towel boy. He has any career managing only because of Ted. They made him a villain, but the justification for hating Ted was weak. 

IMHO, this is because Nate is weak. Even without reading the tweet (which reinforces this though), you could tell that thing most people brush off really stabbed deeply within him. At the end when confronted he lashes out and we see it as weak, and it really is because we didn’t see these little things as slights. But Nate perception warped them and made them this thing they absolutely weren’t. Hell, some of it even felt made up.

• Hook 'Em 1

One other follow up - loved the finale. It wrapped things up nicely and set up the next season. I hope we see more of Dr Sharon. Sam’s arc was great. I thought Akufo’s rant was hilarious. And where things are with him and Rebecca, no way that doesn’t come back eventually.

Yeah the little things are just great in the show. Higgins was solid as always (great advice). Dog with helmet was hilarious. This show just seemed to wrap so perfectly for the season. 

• Like 1

I do have a couple of questions

And the these are sort of spoilers so if you haven't seen the finale, you've been warned.

1.  How did Beard know about Nate telling Trent Crimm, from the Independent?   Did Cromm tell him?

2.  Did Trent Crimm, from the Independent tell his bosses that he had told Ted his source?   Because as far as I could tell, Ted was the only one to know for sure that we saw.   

5 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I do have a couple of questions

And the these are sort of spoilers so if you haven't seen the finale, you've been warned.

1.  How did Beard know about Nate telling Trent Crimm, from the Independent?   Did Cromm tell him?

2.  Did Trent Crimm, from the Independent tell his bosses that he had told Ted his source?   Because as far as I could tell, Ted was the only one to know for sure that we saw.   

Beard knew that basically 6 people knew the truth about what happened.  Ted, Sharon (ain't breaking doctor/patient) Beard (knew it wasn't him) Roy (no, not his character) Higgins (too good a guy and has a history of keeping things quiet....Rupert's girlfriends) and Nate.  Easy deductive reasoning, not to mention Beard is the one who had been observing Nate be a bitch to the new Kit Man and Collin.  

Trent said he told his bosses, why I don't know....that was a bit of a hole as to what would motivate him to do that. 

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 2

On 10/9/2021 at 7:39 AM, austingirl said:

It helps to see it all laid out like this. Still, it's kind of like having to explain a joke for it to make sense. Doesn't really work if you have to do that.

13 hours ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

The explain the joke thing is sort of interesting to me because of its necessity. We had this guy feeling like he’s being insulted all season to the point of boiling and didn’t really realize it because it was hard to see it from his perspective.  Kind of a good message.  

13 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Great finale for the season, despite a few rocky bits. I agree that the tweet about Nate helps clarify things. I think it's hard for most of us to see those things because we don't all have a chip on our shoulder, but it does help make things make more sense.

i still can't decide exactly where i fall on all this.  i agree it's an important message - people should be seen, especially when cries for help are noticed, you never know what someone is going through - but...it's not an after-school special.  if there was one specific episode where nate was really mistreated and was struggling, i think it would've gotten the message across better (everyone has the mental health episodes these days it feels like).   

yes, nate didn't get an espresso machine, but neither did beard, right?  it wasn't for the coaches.  from my limited memory, nate seemed to get plenty of positive attention as an asst coach from the media (moreso than anyone else pre-roy).  in fact, it was the attention that initially drove him bonkers. 

nate went through some things from late s1 to late s2, and was having a bit of an identity crisis (the way he treated the new kit guy, etc).  he was meek, he needed help with the table for his folks, with his outfits - he would go to keeley, who always treated him with respect and helped him.  rebecca went from not knowing who he was to being excited for his promotion. 

nate wanted to be seen, but the transition into someone who was seen was what he couldn't handle.  i'm thinking that if ted got undeserved credit for nate's big play call in the press/on social media, then things would've made more sense to me.

from a strictly writing perspective, i take issue with nick's tweet.  when tv shows are written (moreso than movies), there is limited real estate (25-35 pages typically).  people will always say, "show me, don't tell me" (if it's not on the page, it's not on the stage).  if you have to explain it all in a tweet, then somebody failed.

ted lasso, for being a "silly, feel-good comedy", is very ambitious.  it tries to do a lot, and it breaks a very old tv rule, because it "tries to be all things to all people".  this is a rule because it's very very difficult to accomplish, and usually ends up damaging the show.  the writers have a needle to thread and are really good at it, but i'm still coming down on the side of wishing the nate arc was handled better.

i may do a s2 rewatch and see how it goes.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 10/5/2021 at 12:55 PM, pied06 said:

Put me in the camp of loving the show despite the soccer stuff being on the periphery and not realistic all the time.  

One thing I'm curious about is if we know they are in the promotion playoff like we all know about or are just playing one more game that would get them back?  I know they mentioned the one game, but not sure they have it being played at Wembley.  Did I miss that?

Surprised some of the soccer purists didn’t point this out. 

The game was to finish second, mentioned in the episode. Had they lost to Brentford, they’d have been on the playoff game so many were concerned about. 

Totally makes sense to me to make it clear cut and easier to explain to an audience that may not be familiar, but was one of the more way out there actual football things they’ve  put out there. 

LOVED the finale. Want to find cuts of the Ghanaian and Nate rant. 

15 minutes ago, pied06 said:

Surprised some of the soccer purists didn’t point this out. 

The game was to finish second, mentioned in the episode. Had they lost to Brentford, they’d have been on the playoff game so many were concerned about. 

Totally makes sense to me to make it clear cut and easier to explain to an audience that may not be familiar, but was one of the more way out there actual football things they’ve  put out there. 

LOVED the finale. Want to find cuts of the Ghanaian and Nate rant. 

As a plot device anything more than how they did this would have been really complicated. This made it a winner take all game where they could have wrapped up all their stories without the giant elephant in the room of the 1 game for promotion with a ton of pressure  

Plus this put it in their home stadium for their fans to cheer instead of 1 home, 1 road and 1 in Wembley. 

BTW the playoffs are teams 3-6. 3 v 6 and 4 v 5. They play 2 games, 1 at each stadium. The winner has the best combined score. Those 2 winners go to a final game in Wembley, winner gets promoted. 

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

As a plot device anything more than how they did this would have been really complicated. This made it a winner take all game where they could have wrapped up all their stories without the giant elephant in the room of the 1 game for promotion with a ton of pressure  

Plus this put it in their home stadium for their fans to cheer instead of 1 home, 1 road and 1 in Wembley. 

BTW the playoffs are teams 3-6. 3 v 6 and 4 v 5. They play 2 games, 1 at each stadium. The winner has the best combined score. Those 2 winners go to a final game in Wembley, winner gets promoted. 

Yeah, thought it was 3-6, either way they make it. Agree it would be too much to explain and easier to go with the way they did. 

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

soccer sounds like an awesome game. also it sounds stupid and confusing and i hate it. 

It's not that hard. When the vinegar was next to the Heineken, they weren't offside. It's not when the vinegar catches the ball, it's when ketchup passes the ball. 

• Haha 2

i still can't decide exactly where i fall on all this.  i agree it's an important message - people should be seen, especially when cries for help are noticed, you never know what someone is going through - but...it's not an after-school special.  if there was one specific episode where nate was really mistreated and was struggling, i think it would've gotten the message across better (everyone has the mental health episodes these days it feels like).   
yes, nate didn't get an espresso machine, but neither did beard, right?  it wasn't for the coaches.  from my limited memory, nate seemed to get plenty of positive attention as an asst coach from the media (moreso than anyone else pre-roy).  in fact, it was the attention that initially drove him bonkers. 
nate went through some things from late s1 to late s2, and was having a bit of an identity crisis (the way he treated the new kit guy, etc).  he was meek, he needed help with the table for his folks, with his outfits - he would go to keeley, who always treated him with respect and helped him.  rebecca went from not knowing who he was to being excited for his promotion. 
nate wanted to be seen, but the transition into someone who was seen was what he couldn't handle.  i'm thinking that if ted got undeserved credit for nate's big play call in the press/on social media, then things would've made more sense to me.
from a strictly writing perspective, i take issue with nick's tweet.  when tv shows are written (moreso than movies), there is limited real estate (25-35 pages typically).  people will always say, "show me, don't tell me" (if it's not on the page, it's not on the stage).  if you have to explain it all in a tweet, then somebody failed.
ted lasso, for being a "silly, feel-good comedy", is very ambitious.  it tries to do a lot, and it breaks a very old tv rule, because it "tries to be all things to all people".  this is a rule because it's very very difficult to accomplish, and usually ends up damaging the show.  the writers have a needle to thread and are really good at it, but i'm still coming down on the side of wishing the nate arc was handled better.

Many insecure people cannot take a compliment. Nate was insecure, and even though the promotion was what he wanted, and the attention is what he wanted, he sought out ways to feel slighted. That is due to his insecurities.

He only sees that assholes get what they want. The spitting at himself in the mirror, is inconsiderate to others who use it or have to clean it, but that was all he knew how to do. While we heard how Sam has a supportive father, Ted lost his father, and Nate’s father is just an asshole who didn’t nurture his own kid, and looks down at him. Nate wants desperately approval and attention, but he also doesn’t know how to receive it. He is conflicted and his father’s criticism has shaped his psyche this way.

He was offended by Roy not giving a shit, because in his mind, Roy just saw him as a nothing loser who can’t get a girl.

He was offended by the Nespresso, because he wanted free shit too.

He was offended when they went with his plays, he didn’t see it as a compliment or trust in him, but rather a slight so they could blame him. If it worked, Ted would get the credit in his mind, and he would be relegated to sitting in his shadow seething. Nate is fundamentally insecure.

Nate is in more dire need of a blowjob than any brown man in history. (RIP Robin Williams).
  • Hook 'Em 4

On 10/8/2021 at 1:04 PM, Dr. Beeper said:

God Almighty, please save us from the Derka deluge of posts, posted in rapid-fire succession any time something enters his emotionally feeble mind, and clutters this thread up every fucking week. 

Just put him on ignore. This thread is 1000% better. Screenshot of what it looks like - it’s honestly game changing:

FC17367C-5340-41FA-8356-BA919449AA04.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nivek said:

Many insecure people cannot take a compliment. Nate was insecure, and even though the promotion was what he wanted, and the attention is what he wanted, he sought out ways to feel slighted. That is due to his insecurities.

He only sees that assholes get what they want. The spitting at himself in the mirror, is inconsiderate to others who use it or have to clean it, but that was all he knew how to do. While we heard how Sam has a supportive father, Ted lost his father, and Nate’s father is just an asshole who didn’t nurture his own kid, and looks down at him. Nate wants desperately approval and attention, but he also doesn’t know how to receive it. He is conflicted and his father’s criticism has shaped his psyche this way.

He was offended by Roy not giving a shit, because in his mind, Roy just saw him as a nothing loser who can’t get a girl.

He was offended when they went with his plays, he didn’t see it as a compliment or trust in him, but rather a slight so they could blame him. If it worked, Ted would get the credit in his mind, and he would be relegated to sitting in his shadow seething. Nate is fundamentally insecure.

Nate is in more dire need of a blowjob than any brown man in history. (RIP Robin Williams).

Agreed, but where the show falls short is explaining that to the average viewer. If you view it from that lens it makes sense, but the average viewer doesnt know to do that. I think that is where most of the consternation with regards to Nate comes from 

Started watching this show about a month ago, and I really enjoyed it. Fun comedy with lots of unique characters. I really like the way the show deals with character issues in a more realistic and sensible way, showing the flaws of them in their moments of weakness, while highlighting strengths at other times. It has a very positive vibe to it, while being funny and having entertaining drama that isn't cheap or forced.  

On the Nate story, I don't understand why he thinks so highly of himself. It's not like any of his ideas are novel, he's just taking tactics that have been used by other clubs and employing them. Nothing he has suggested is actually unique. Ted's trick plays that nearly kept the team from relegation were actually new, and confusing because nobody had seen anything like it before in the EPL.  The "False Nine" scheme has been used plenty by other clubs. The defensive "park the bus" strat with 1 striker to counterattack during the Tottenham game isn't anything new, Chelsea used this in the CL final back in 2012 and won it with Drogba going the distance after Bayern pushed up too far on attack.

AFC is a Tier 1 club, they shouldn't have any trouble making top 3 and promoting back to tier 1, so I think Nate is overestimating his actual contribution to the wins. He also never seems to give anyone credit for anything, not even the players who have to execute whatever the calls are. He's just a selfish prick who got lucky that Ted saw anything of value in him, when no one has in his entire life (beside his mum). I hope he fails miserably at the new club, and is fired before they even meet. He doesn't know how to win over a lockerroom, he doesn't know how to garner respect, he only knows some high level strategies and formations. Why would any player listen to him?  It would be far more realistic to have him crash and burn, be humiliated, and have to come back to AFC with his tail between his legs. Then they re-hire him, but as an equipment guy working under Will. :D

6 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Started watching this show about a month ago, and I really enjoyed it. Fun comedy with lots of unique characters. I really like the way the show deals with character issues in a more realistic and sensible way, showing the flaws of them in their moments of weakness, while highlighting strengths at other times. It has a very positive vibe to it, while being funny and having entertaining drama that isn't cheap or forced.  

On the Nate story, I don't understand why he thinks so highly of himself. It's not like any of his ideas are novel, he's just taking tactics that have been used by other clubs and employing them. Nothing he has suggested is actually unique. Ted's trick plays that nearly kept the team from relegation were actually new, and confusing because nobody had seen anything like it before in the EPL.  The "False Nine" scheme has been used plenty by other clubs. The defensive "park the bus" strat with 1 striker to counterattack during the Tottenham game isn't anything new, Chelsea used this in the CL final back in 2012 and won it with Drogba going the distance after Bayern pushed up too far on attack.

AFC is a Tier 1 club, they shouldn't have any trouble making top 3 and promoting back to tier 1, so I think Nate is overestimating his actual contribution to the wins. He also never seems to give anyone credit for anything, not even the players who have to execute whatever the calls are. He's just a selfish prick who got lucky that Ted saw anything of value in him, when no one has in his entire life (beside his mum). I hope he fails miserably at the new club, and is fired before they even meet. He doesn't know how to win over a lockerroom, he doesn't know how to garner respect, he only knows some high level strategies and formations. Why would any player listen to him?  It would be far more realistic to have him crash and burn, be humiliated, and have to come back to AFC with his tail between his legs. Then they re-hire him, but as an equipment guy working under Will. :D

Actually he designed a new play they ran last season that helped the team score.   Running the new scheme didn't have to be original if it took advantage of the guys they have, since I know shit all about soccer, I'll just liken it to how Greg Robinson stepped in and didn't need to invent a new defense.  

On 10/10/2021 at 9:27 AM, Captain Ron said:

IMHO, this is because Nate is weak. Even without reading the tweet (which reinforces this though), you could tell that thing most people brush off really stabbed deeply within him. At the end when confronted he lashes out and we see it as weak, and it really is because we didn’t see these little things as slights. But Nate perception warped them and made them this thing they absolutely weren’t. Hell, some of it even felt made up.

It's a metaphor of the human condition.   We do and say things on a daily basis without giving thought of how it will affect the individuals on the receiving end given their current emotional/existential status.  It's to show that even the smallest of things, when compounded, can truly put a vulnerable person into a dark state of disarray.   

This entire show is a metaphor for truly being good to other people, even when you're not in the best state yourself.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Beard knew that basically 6 people knew the truth about what happened.  Ted, Sharon (ain't breaking doctor/patient) Beard (knew it wasn't him) Roy (no, not his character) Higgins (too good a guy and has a history of keeping things quiet....Rupert's girlfriends) and Nate.  Easy deductive reasoning, not to mention Beard is the one who had been observing Nate be a bitch to the new Kit Man and Collin.  

Trent said he told his bosses, why I don't know....that was a bit of a hole as to what would motivate him to do that

Trent truly respects and endears to Ted as a man.  He felt so bad about printing the article that he was willing to lose his job over it because Ted meant more to him than his own job.  Pretty powerful example of conviction.   

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

I think they did show us, but we were so focused on the forest we didn't look at the trees that were standing right there the whole time.  

3 hours ago, Nivek said:

Actually he designed a new play they ran last season that helped the team score.   Running the new scheme didn't have to be original if it took advantage of the guys they have, since I know shit all about soccer, I'll just liken it to how Greg Robinson stepped in and didn't need to invent a new defense.  

When he said "you just want to run my formation so when it fails and we lose, you can blame me" that was all I needed to hear.  He's just so weak and insecure and scared he will get all the blame and none of the credit.  Which - you're an assistant coach, not the head coach, that's how it works. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think another part of Nate's problem is we all are prone to confirmation bias.  Think about what was arguably his biggest moment in S1.  The pre-game speech he gave gave before the Everton match. He saw that releasing his inner thoughts/anger/emotion in a confrontational matter worked. He has then had other moments where the only thing he has seemed to make work is being confrontational (the restaurant this season for example). So now you have somebody who has a lot of insecurity built up in life who is being conditioned to learn that the only way he can deal with those insecurities and get what he wants is to be a confrontational hard ass.  Every experience compounds the confirmation bias.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Trent truly respects and endears to Ted as a man.  He felt so bad about printing the article that he was willing to lose his job over it because Ted meant more to him than his own job.  Pretty powerful example of conviction.   

the trent crimm/ted lasso relationship is one of my favorites from any tv show over the past 18 months.  i would say i want more, but what we've gotten is probably the perfect amount.  honestly, when he texted the whole, "because i'm a journalist, i have to print the story, but because i respect you, i have to tell you who the source is" it got a little dusty in here.

my take on it is that a guy like trent is always looking for the story, the angle, the inside dope, and everybody knows it.  everybody around him probably walks on eggshells knowing that he'll nail them, expose them, whatever.  and when he gets one-on-one time with someone like a coach, he likely never gets past the acting job the subject puts on in order to produce the desired story.

but ted didn't do that.  trent thought he would, and thought he was, but then it turned out that's just who ted is.  i don't think (initially) trent respected ted because of what he stood for or for his coaching acumen, i think he respected ted because he had the integrity to just be himself with trent and let the story speak for itself. 

that's one of the reasons trent begrudgingly wrote the story he wrote.  i don't think he forecasted success from the coach, but he respected the man.  also ted surprised him, and trent doesn't seem like someone who gets surprised very often.  i think he liked it.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

When he said "you just want to run my formation so when it fails and we lose, you can blame me" that was all I needed to hear.  He's just so weak and insecure and scared he will get all the blame and none of the credit.  Which - you're an assistant coach, not the head coach, that's how it works. 

The odd thing about that is Ted always gave him credit. That's how he became wonderboy.

Yeah, the thought of a guy who has never been played or been a HC at any level having a mid-tier EPL team running a military style practice where they shout out 'coach' every few seconds was pretty ridiculous. Euro soccer players are more coddled than NFL players.  I know. I know.  Not about soccer or reality, but that was fairly ludicrous.  Has there even been an Indian manager before?

3 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I think they did show us, but we were so focused on the forest we didn't look at the trees that were standing right there the whole time.  

3 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

It's a metaphor of the human condition.   We do and say things on a daily basis without giving thought of how it will affect the individuals on the receiving end given their current emotional/existential status.  It's to show that even the smallest of things, when compounded, can truly put a vulnerable person into a dark state of disarray.   

This entire show is a metaphor for truly being good to other people, even when you're not in the best state yourself.  

I think we didn't see it because 1. The writing wasn't the best around this particular story arc, and 2. Most of us aren't incels. I hate to call Nate that, I really do, but as I think back over this season, it truly does describe him. Sure, Ted should'nt have have laughed at him suggesting he talk to Isaac - I cringed a bit when that happened myself, but surely Ted had built up enough goodwill equity with Nate over their time together that Nate could let that go, or at minimum grow some balls and talk to him about it like a grown-ass man. I mean, this team had its own dedicated therapist onsite for MONTHS. Nate could've sought her out at any time to help manage what obviously was becoming a ticking time-bomb of a problem, but instead, he chose to internalize every perceived slight and add it to a long list of reasons why everyone sucked and why Ted was the worst. And it's not like he was completely afraid to ask for help - he went to Keeley and Rebecca, right?

Sure, he has daddy issues and is insecure. Whatever. Maybe it helps explain the way he is, but in no way does it excuse it. We all make our own choices. Nate had an incredible support system right there, and instead of choosing to let it help him, he chose to burn down what were probably the best relationships he'd ever had in his life. He's so blinded by hubris and rage that he probably doesn't even see that.  

• Like 2

I think we didn't see it because 1. The writing wasn't the best around this particular story arc, and 2. Most of us aren't incels. I hate to call Nate that, I really do, but as I think back over this season, it truly does describe him. Sure, Ted should'nt have have laughed at him suggesting he talk to Isaac - I cringed a bit when that happened myself, but surely Ted had built up enough goodwill equity with Nate over their time together that Nate could let that go, or at minimum grow some balls and talk to him about it like a grown-ass man. I mean, this team had its own dedicated therapist onsite for MONTHS. Nate could've sought her out at any time to help manage what obviously was becoming a ticking time-bomb of a problem, but instead, he chose to internalize every perceived slight and add it to a long list of reasons why everyone sucked and why Ted was the worst. And it's not like he was completely afraid to ask for help - he went to Keeley and Rebecca, right?
Sure, he has daddy issues and is insecure. Whatever. Maybe it helps explain the way he is, but in no way does it excuse it. We all make our own choices. Nate had an incredible support system right there, and instead of choosing to let it help him, he chose to burn down what were probably the best relationships he'd ever had in his life. He's so blinded by hubris and rage that he probably doesn't even see that.  

He doesn’t see it as his problem. He sees it as their problem. So no need for therapy.

BTW has anybody mentioned that once again they worked in a fantastic Major League reference in the finale.  Last season it was Ted, "Win the whole fucking thing". This year it was Roy walking up to Jamie, head-butting him and then picking him up and hugging him Roger Dorn/Rick Vaughan style.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Nivek said:

He doesn’t see it as his problem. He sees it as their problem. So no need for therapy.

He's definitely a narcissist in that area. Nothing is ever his fault. He and Rupert are made for each other.

Something else occurred to me as I was thinking through all of this. When they played Karma Police at the end of episode 11, my immediate reaction was that it signified that something was going to come back around to Nate because of his backstabbing. But reading Nick Mohamed's tweet and the discussion here has me wondering if the showrunners meant that song to be directed at Ted, as if he was actually responsible for what Nate did. Which is bullshit, IMO, but plausible.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/10/2021 at 8:56 PM, Nivek said:

im smart enough stuart smalley GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1