Can we have a serious thread about "Boaters for Trump"?

Gil Bang

24 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

all the flags are fucking stupid.

why on earth would anyone fly a flag about a fucking politician? i mean, i guess i get bumper stickers, even if i would never put one on my car, but a fucking flag? get fucking bent, all flag wavers.

Conversely, fuck all of the flag demonizers.  Texans  had to tolerate Beto shit everywhere when homeboy was going to change the world.   Just think of it as a similar action.   I mean, yeah, it's so fucking crazy to demonstrate support of a sitting President, right?

Certain expressions are OK.   We get it.

Edited by slorch

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Probably a combo of all of the above. Wakes need space to dissipate and waves get surprisingly crazy when multiple wakes run into each other.  Probably some crazy wave energy formula explains it. 

Do you even constructive interference and superposition principle bro?

Edited by High Plains Drifter
maths is hard

20 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Trump represents a middle finger to the intellectual class they hate with their entire souls. And minorities.

there is something to this.

think about it. i'm a longhorn, i wear longhorn gear, but not every day. i have a relatively inconspicuous identifier of my longhorn identity on my car. i'm proud of my alma mater, and i'm happy to tell anyone that i did indeed matriculate from texas.

however, what i'm not is aggressive in-your-face-all-the-fucking-time about it. compare that to graduates from texas a&m, who can't even hear the name of their school without hooting and hollering like a bunch of ignorant rednecks. 

the flag behavior is exactly the same. it's a bunch of in-your-face-because-fuck-you bullshit. they really care less about showing support or even supporting their candidate than they care that you sure as fuck know and they are going to get all up in your business about it.

it's fucking weird, man. but it is just like the aggies.

• Hook 'Em 4

16 minutes ago, slorch said:

Conversely, fuck all of the flag demonizers.  Texans  had to tolerate Beto shit everywhere when homeboy was going to change the world.   Just think of it as a similar action.   I mean, yeah, it's so fucking crazy to demonstrate support of a sitting President, right?

Beto shirts and bumper stickers were everywhere. Never saw a beto flag. There is a difference. Do you pledge allegiance to your car bumper sticker or t shirt? How about singing a song in front of your car bumper? 

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, slorch said:

yeah, i remember all the flag waving boat parades for beto. or the giant pickup trucks in my neighborhood flying beto flags from the bed of their truck. 

oh wait, no i don't, because that didn't fucking happen. yard signs, bumper stickers, whatever. but hoisting and waving a flag? go fuck yourself. (not you, personally, slorch, just generally, all flag wavers. i say this knowing that of course you weren't a trump voter, and won't be, and definitely don't wave trump flags, despite going to every length to defend him on this forum from the evil detractors of the orange shitgoblin)

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Beto shirts and bumper stickers were everywhere. Never saw a beto flag. There is a difference. Do you pledge allegiance to your car bumper sticker or t shirt? How about signing a song in front of your car bumper? 

1. What is that difference?  the medium is offensive?

2. what is the last sentence?

Edited by slorch

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

yeah, i remember all the flag waving boat parades for beto. or the giant pickup trucks in my neighborhood flying beto flags from the bed of their truck. 

oh wait, no i don't, because that didn't fucking happen. yard signs, bumper stickers, whatever. but hoisting and waving a flag? go fuck yourself. (not you, personally, slorch, just generally, all flag wavers. i say this knowing that of course you weren't a trump voter, and won't be, and definitely don't wave trump flags, despite going to every length to defend him on this forum from the evil detractors of the orange shitgoblin)

semantics.  Beto shit was freaking everywhere and deliberately in people's faces. The public support of Lord Cheeto bothers you.  It's also part of the win for those folks.

Calling out the inconsistencies with some of you enlightened lovers of the freedom of expression isn't defending Trump.  It's telling.  that's all.

The politics of convenience.

Edited by slorch

A reaction to beto signs is a good explanation but that would only explain Texas. But then again there are some demographics that loves themselves a lot of flags. I know several people that bring 5 or 6 flags with them to raise alongside their tent at the beach. Gotta to display everything in which they identify with so that all can see.  I find it odd but it doesn't bother me.

5 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

The weird/of course part of this is the campaign isn’t taking advantage of these rallies in any productive way.  They aren’t doing sign ups or fundraising off of them.  No email lists or donor bundling. As somebody else noted: the bulk of the pennants and flags are being marketed and sold by private individuals and companies, so the campaign isn’t raising money off the sales.  These are self organized rallies that get local coverage, this should be a fucking gold mine of free media and fundraising.

It’s just completely emblematic of the man and his presidency:  even when something goes right, they fuck it up. 

Feeds the beast’s ego 

1 minute ago, slorch said:

1. What is that difference?

2. what is the last sentence?

When you fly a flag that means you are part of a team to the exclusion of all others. So trump supporters are on team trump and screw the rest of Americans. Which is basically a trump supporter truism. 

2 was a typo fixed. 

Old glory becomes old trump. 

I pledge allegiance to the trump flag...

21 minutes ago, slorch said:

For me, I don't give a shit about a single person waving a flag or putting one on their car or house or boat. But it's SO. MANY. flags everywhere with "fuck your feelings" and "no more bullshit" and "blue lives matter".

I literally can't escape it. In Port Oconnor, it's fucking terrible because you can't just go fishing or go to the beach to have some fun and unplug from all the awful shit in the world without seeing at least a dozen aggressive flags proclaiming their love for their demagogue. It's fucking annoying, tacky, and downright shitty. 

I don't think it's *wrong*, but I think it's something that only a bunch of selfish assholes who want to say "fuck you" to the world would do

Edited by Captainant

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

semantics.  Beto shit was freaking everywhere and deliberately in people's faces. The public support of Lord Cheeto bothers you.  It's also part of the win for those folks.

no, it was not. i mean, yeah, it was everywhere, but there weren't boat parades with multiple flags per boat. there weren't pickup truck banners. 

i know you went to a hayseed college, but at least you should understand the aggie comparison. i have plenty of texas tech people in my life who don't go around whooping when they hear their school's name or hissing when they hear a rival school's name. it's the exact fucking dynamic. people aren't going out on their boat in a longhorn tshirt to do some fishing or waterskiing. people are going out to fly a flag with a person's name on it. that's fucking weird.

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

When you fly a flag that means you are part of a team to the exclusion of all others. So trump supporters are on team trump and screw the rest of Americans. Which is basically a trump supporter truism. 

2 was a typo fixed. 

Old glory becomes old trump. 

I pledge allegiance to the trump flag...

That's scary as fuck.

You win.

4 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

no, it was not. i mean, yeah, it was everywhere, but there weren't boat parades with multiple flags per boat. there weren't pickup truck banners. 

Because a banner would go all the way around a Prius.

4 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

A guy I knew in high school posted a pic of his middle school daughter standing in his house in front of a trump “fuck your feelings” banner. He was so proud. It was nauseating. Poor kid. 

i agree it's a fucked up example set by the parents.  Yes on the political participation, but F-minus on the execution.

Some kids learn what NOT to do from their folks too.  Hopefully...

11 minutes ago, slorch said:

Calling out the inconsistencies with some of you enlightened lovers of the freedom of expression isn't defending Trump.  It's telling.  that's all.

The politics of convenience.

Because flags are symbols of nations.  And trump, along with his sycophants, conflate patriotism with adoration of trump and the nation as a whole as belonging to trump.

His supporters are also in your face with their support.  Hell, I was out to lunch on Sunday on vacation, restaurant overlooking the harbor, and not only were their trump flags, multiple people in the restaurant were wearing hats, shirts, etc.  They want to tick off other patrons and the waitstaff.  They need to say "fuck you" to others enjoying their Labor Day weekend, in a way that supporters of prior candidates, both GOP and Dem, did not.

i agree it's a fucked up example set by the parents.  Yes on the political participation, but F-minus on the execution.

Some kids learn what NOT to do from their folks too.  Hopefully...

I agree. If the guy wants to post a pic of his daughter on Facebook standing in front of a trump 2020 banner I have no problem with it if she doesn’t. 

But a trump fuck your feelings banner? I mean come on. 

37 minutes ago, slorch said:

I think I saw less than a handful of Beto yardsigns, and about the same amount of bumper stickers when that was going on. Only shirts I really saw were worn at places he was speaking. I never saw trucks wrapped with his name or face or flags flying everywhere. Come on man that shit is not the same

3 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

I think I saw less than a handful of Beto yardsigns, and about the same amount of bumper stickers when that was going on. Only shirts I really saw were worn at places he was speaking. I never saw trucks wrapped with his name or face or flags flying everywhere. Come on man that shit is not the same

every fucking Subaru out there. and Prius.

It's not the point to say it's on par, but the "Hooray for our guy, fuck those who oppose him" was absolutely fucking there.  Neither situation is some violation of humanity.

Edited by slorch

22 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

He's quite the contrarian. People do what he does because being a contrarian, among other things that he is, brings attention and you get to pontificate from a point of reference that only YOU and YOU ALONE understand. If the masses only saw things the way YOU see it they would see how these two things are equal. We have a few contrarians on this board that do this and I am sure you could quickly make a list of them. 

In the real world people running around flying a flag on their car, boat or motorized scooter are supporting a president that is racist and thereby reaffirming that they are okay with racism in America. If I had seen a flag for Beto on a car I would've looked at it and moved on mainly because BETO WAS NOT RUNNING ON A PLATFORM OF RACISM. This is how a human being not trafficking constantly in contrarianism would look at things. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It's not the point to say it's on par, but the "Hooray for our guy, fuck those who oppose him" was absolutely fucking there.  Neither situation is some violation of humanity.

Last sentence is correct, in North Dallas/Addison area it wasn't like that or I didn't notice it but I guess some places it definitely was but why can't a bumper sticker or yard signs be fine again. I just find the huge flags and truck wraps completely insane. 

5 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

The weird/of course part of this is the campaign isn’t taking advantage of these rallies in any productive way.  They aren’t doing sign ups or fundraising off of them.  No email lists or donor bundling. As somebody else noted: the bulk of the pennants and flags are being marketed and sold by private individuals and companies, so the campaign isn’t raising money off the sales.  These are self organized rallies that get local coverage, this should be a fucking gold mine of free media and fundraising.

It’s just completely emblematic of the man and his presidency:  even when something goes right, they fuck it up. 

It's almost as though the campaign is every bit as incompetent as the administration.

I had a Beto yard sign, and a shirt that I bought at a fundraiser. I don't think I wore the shirt except while mowing my lawn. there is no way I would have flown a Beto flag. 

I wouldn't have a problem with a Biden yard sign but I would be worried about a Trump passerby throwing something at my house. I wasn't worried about a Cruz supporter doing that with my Beto sign.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

4 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

He's quite the contrarian. People do what he does because being a contrarian, among other things that he is, brings attention and you get to pontificate from a point of reference that only YOU and YOU ALONE understand. If the masses only saw things the way YOU see it they would see how these two things are equal. We have a few contrarians on this board that do this and I am sure you could quickly make a list of them. 

In the real world people running around flying a flag on their car, boat or motorized scooter are supporting a president that is racist and thereby reaffirming that they are okay with racism in America. If I had seen a flag for Beto on a car I would've looked at it and moved on mainly because BETO WAS NOT RUNNING ON A PLATFORM OF RACISM. This is how a human being not trafficking constantly in contrarianism would look at things. 

so you're saying that  

“From the outside looking in, you can't understand it. From the inside looking out, you can't explain it.” As Aggies, we all recognize this quote and probably use it on a daily basis when trying to explain some tradition to someone outside of A&M.

in other words, just like the aggies. haha. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

there is something to this.

think about it. i'm a longhorn, i wear longhorn gear, but not every day. i have a relatively inconspicuous identifier of my longhorn identity on my car. i'm proud of my alma mater, and i'm happy to tell anyone that i did indeed matriculate from texas.

however, what i'm not is aggressive in-your-face-all-the-fucking-time about it. compare that to graduates from texas a&m, who can't even hear the name of their school without hooting and hollering like a bunch of ignorant rednecks. 

the flag behavior is exactly the same. it's a bunch of in-your-face-because-fuck-you bullshit. they really care less about showing support or even supporting their candidate than they care that you sure as fuck know and they are going to get all up in your business about it.

it's fucking weird, man. but it is just like the aggies.

The largest Trump shrine in my neighborhood also belongs to an absolute red ass aggie. He also drives a lifted F250 that's never even been dirty. I guess you need a big truck to haul around all that insecurity. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, slorch said:

Wait, Subarus and Priuses (Priusi?) are signs of "hooray for our guy, fuck those who oppose him"?

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Wait, Subarus and Priuses (Priusi?) are signs of "hooray for our guy, fuck those who oppose him"?

Nah.  You're right.   That movement was very levelheaded and um... even-keeled.

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

no, they simply had beto bumper stickers on them that @slorch found offensive, so this overboard trump flag phenomenon is totally normal and expected or something

I'm not offended by any of it.

You are though, but you won't admit it.  you want it one way all of the time.  Cancel culture is real, baby.

Edited by slorch

Just now, slorch said:

I'm not offended by any of it.

You are though, but you won't admit it.

i already fucking admitted that i'm offended by the flag waving losers. what are you even on about? i thought i was pretty clear that they can "get fucked." they are ridiculous and offensive displays of ignorant fucking morons who think (like you do, apparently) this shitstain in the oval office is a good thing and some sort of step forward (or backward to back when america was great) for this country, when it's clear he is a fucking sociopath. that's what they are celebrating with their flags with his name on them. it is offensive. they are actually TRYING to be fucking offensive, that's their raison d'etre, dude. to offend and fuck your feelings and all that stupid shit.

13 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

The largest Trump shrine in my neighborhood also belongs to an absolute red ass aggie. He also drives a lifted F250 that's never even been dirty. I guess you need a big truck to haul around all that insecurity. 

My wife's former boss is an Aggie, but she's cool.  We met her family at the Salt Lick one Sunday afternoon, and while we were out at the picnic tables drinking beer and waiting for our table, one of those jacked trucks with A&M plates drove in with the redass bro country blaring so loud we couldn't hear the dude with the acoustic guitar doing his Willie and Waylon covers.

Wife's boss looked at me and said "he's compensating, I bet his dick isn't even two inches long".

Did I mention my wife worked at a Baptist preschool?

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

i already fucking admitted that i'm offended by the flag waving losers. what are you even on about? i thought i was pretty clear that they can "get fucked." they are ridiculous and offensive displays of ignorant fucking morons who think (like you do, apparently) this shitstain in the oval office is a good thing and some sort of step forward (or backward to back when america was great) for this country, when it's clear he is a fucking sociopath. that's what they are celebrating with their flags with his name on them. it is offensive. they are actually TRYING to be fucking offensive, that's their raison d'etre, dude. to offend and fuck your feelings and all that stupid shit.

You'd probably prefer that they burn down some buildings or loot some stores though, right?  If you're gonna protest, by God, do it right.

Just now, hayden_horn said:

are you day drinking? what the fuck are you talking about?

Maybe next time they'll submit a request for an assignment of protest/ demonstration medium that meets your approval...

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

The Trump flags have been a mainstay on a lot of boats the last few years.  It never used to be that way.  But the few conservative hotspots like Orange County and San Diego are also hotbeads for the yachtie set.  And hence the flags.  But in the last couple of months, you've started to see more and more Biden flags or "Dump Trump" flags.  A lot more.

One of the biggest and nicest boats in Oceanside Harbor has been flying a trump flag since before the election.   It still looks good, so I figure it must have been replaced several times.