Tom Herman's OU week press conference 10/5, Noon

Tex Pete

Just now, tjhooker said:

It was so weird. Hard to quote. Anyone want to help me on it? His eyes got as big as saucers and it was very weird. 

and then the question just hung in the air when he asked for clarification . Did the mic get cut off? Tom just sorta got the bemused confused look and then walked off 

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

If we were undefeated and blowing people out, no one would give a shit about the players not staying for the Eyes.

But they're not undefeated.   They're playing like shit - no cohesion, no chemistry, no coaching, no nothing. 

I'm indifferent on the Eyes discussion.  But if it has created a divide within the team then it's a legitimate question / discussion.  I don't know what the exact question was.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It hasn't created a divide in the team. Some guys stay, some guys go into the locker room. It's just another thing for angry fans to get angry about. It was a dumb question to even ask. The administration made a deal with the players that they didn't have to stay. If the fans don't like it, tough shit. Find a new team then. 

Herman probably sat there just thinking why did you even ask that dumb fucking question. Oh because you're dumb fucking Brian Davis. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It hasn't created a divide in the team. Some guys stay, some guys go into the locker room. It's just another thing for angry fans to get angry about. It was a dumb question to even ask. The administration made a deal with the players that they didn't have to stay. If the fans don't like it, tough shit. Find a new team then. 

Herman probably sat there just thinking why did you even ask that dumb fucking question. Oh because you're dumb fucking Brian Davis. 

Unless you're imbedded in the team or locker room then I'll probably defer to someone who is.   

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Unless you're imbedded in the team or locker room then I'll probably defer to someone who is.   

Unless I'm mistaken, that wasn't Brian's question. It was more about what were Tom's thoughts about the fans being unhappy that the players aren't staying for the Eyes. Brian stated he underestimated the anger it had caused in the fan base. 

26 minutes ago, mdmost said:

You had better bet that pissed off fans are going to seize on every negative they can. If you win, you can do whatever. Start losing, and people think maybe you're paying attention to too much other shit. 

It's a valid criticism. People don't pay huge sums of money for players' social takes. Period.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Tom is probably more than happy for the focus to turn to players staying or leaving for the eyes. Anything other than the horrendous end of game management is a win for him at the moment.

There it is. A fucking song is about #400 on my list of concerns right now. Numbers 1-399 are all related to being a better football team.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

You had better bet that pissed off fans are going to seize on every negative they can. If you win, you can do whatever. Start losing, and people think maybe you're paying attention to too much other shit. 

It's a valid criticism. People don't pay huge sums of money for players' social takes. Period.

This was basically my take that Friday afternoon this summer when all this shit came out.  Basically that they better win if they are going to demand changes to longstanding traditions.    Going about as I expected.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, tjhooker said:

"we're on a good trajectory" 

da fuq? We all know what the trajectory is, Tom, and it's not good. And worse than that is the fact that the only way we can reverse this trajectory is to move to the Southern Hemisphere, so we can circle the drain in the opposite direction.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UTEX_ME said:

quote? 

Essentially? BD said that he underestimated how angry the fans out would be about it, asked Tom if what he thought about them essentially killing a tradition we’ve been doing forever... Tom answered in a very TH way saying “well I certainly don’t think they’ve killed the tradition in any sense of the word. The admin gave them the freedom to not sing the song if they didn’t want to.”

BD then said something like “ok but with them all running off the field it seems like the school is trying to get rid of that singing the eyes after the game” (paraphrased.... it was a weird interaction). 

There was a long pause.... and Herman just said either “Ok” or “Right”, and then walked off. Very strange. 

1 hour ago, Minute Bull said:

Must be really humiliating to suck such ass at your job, publicly on display for all to see, and have no earthly idea what to do.  And then look in the mirror every day and think "God, I am stealing money from this great university and its fans."  If he had any balls he would resign on the spot and admit his sheer incompetence.  So sick of his schtick and this shitshow underachieving athletic department.

You know what eases that humiliation?

A $5 million annual salary collected over four years with the knowledge that there is a) more to come or b) a hefty buyout. 

Win or lose, life is good for ol' Tom Herman.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, tokamak said:

There it is. A fucking song is about #400 on my list of concerns right now. Numbers 1-399 are all related to being a better football team.

Look, I agree for the most part.   But that song symbolizes the difference between college sports and pro sports. There have been a lot of fans that have watched a lot of shitty football and stayed to sing that song with the players post-game. And those same fans renew tickets and write checks year after year, whether good or bad, because tradition.  You take that symbolism/relationship away and the University will lose some of that "unconditional support" that exists.   If this season goes down the shitter while the band has had to basically been banned from the stadium, half the fucking cheerleaders are "protesting" and players immediately sprinting off the field every loss, there will be significant financial consequences following a year with massive revenue loss.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Look, I agree for the most part.   But that song symbolizes the difference between college sports and pro sports. There have been a lot of fans that have watched a lot of shitty football and stayed to sing that song with the players post-game. And those same fans renew tickets and write checks year after year, whether good or bad, because tradition.  You take that symbolism/relationship away and the University will lose some of that "unconditional support" that exists.   If this season goes down the shitter while the band has had to basically been banned from the stadium, half the fucking cheerleaders are "protesting" and players immediately sprinting off the field every loss, there will be significant financial consequences following a year with massive revenue loss.  

The vast majority of the faculty and administration couldn't care less if the athletic program suffers a loss in revenue.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

He referred to the RRS as the OU V Texas game, look dumbass, it’s the fucking TEXAS vs ou sucks game. He’s just here for the paycheck. 

Also, he mentioned his conversation with Dabo, hopefully he was testing the water for a job. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Holy shit i can't believe i just watched that,

First thing i heard was the covid excuse, also did anyone else pick up on he said this new defensive formation is why we suck dick on defense? What does going from a 3-3-5 to a 4-2-5 have to do with Tackling Tom? Also these are 3/4 star recruits and he is acting like they are dumb and it take3s WEEKS maybe Months or even years to adjust within the Ash system? Literally paused the video and yelled at my computer screen. There is NO WAY the defense Ash brought is so complicated they aren't prepared and have no idea how to play defense. 

He said "This was literally the first time they have ever seen these offenses in this scheme and are learning".. What are they fucking 2nd grade pee wee team? 

I thought we brought Ash in to simplify the defense? 

Also noticed too like someone else said how laid back Tom was, He had ZERO tremble in his voice and was not acting like he had any heat at all. "Awesome Sunday practice" Who fucking cares about your sunday practice if you can't win saturday? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The vast majority of the faculty and administration couldn't care less if the athletic program suffers a loss in revenue.

I don't doubt this.  But I guarantee you Hartzell does. And anyone in the faculty/administration should if they care bout the University.  The large dollar donors to athletics and non-athletics are not mutually exclusive.

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Holy shit i can't believe i just watched that,

First thing i heard was the covid excuse, also did anyone else pick up on he said this new defensive formation is why we suck dick on defense? What does going from a 3-3-5 to a 4-2-5 have to do with Tackling Tom? Also these are 3/4 star recruits and he is acting like they are dumb and it take3s WEEKS maybe Months or even years to adjust within the Ash system? Literally paused the video and yelled at my computer screen. There is NO WAY the defense Ash brought is so complicated they aren't prepared and have no idea how to play defense. 

He said "This was literally the first time they have ever seen these offenses in this scheme and are learning".. What are they fucking 2nd grade pee wee team? 

I thought we brought Ash in to simplify the defense? 

Also noticed too like someone else said how laid back Tom was, He had ZERO tremble in his voice and was not acting like he had any heat at all. "Awesome Sunday practice" Who fucking cares about your sunday practice if you can't win saturday? 

Tom Herman is laid back because he knows his job is safe.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Whew.... "all the issues are fixable".   That's good to hear.... 

Thing is he's not wrong.  That was my takeaway from the game as we shoulda/coulda/woulda win it with no unit playing particularly well, some guys we count on having off games etc.  He's right, it is all fixable.

So fucking fix it asshole!  Now. 

Beat OU

"Tom, you mentioned last week that we also had an 'awesome Sunday practice' after being embarrassed in Lubbock. Given the team played like warmed over dog shit this week, are you reevaluating the assumed correlation between Sunday practice awesomeness and game day preparedness?"

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

It hasn't created a divide in the team. Some guys stay, some guys go into the locker room. It's just another thing for angry fans to get angry about. It was a dumb question to even ask. The administration made a deal with the players that they didn't have to stay. If the fans don't like it, tough shit. Find a new team then.  Herman probably sat there just thinking why did you even ask that dumb fucking question. Oh because you're dumb fucking Brian Davis. 

4hfi6o.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Sorry, man, but anyone still ardently supporting this program with their time and money isn't "entitled" or "whiny". That's just a lazy take. The players? Yeah, they continue to be "entitled" and "whiny" without getting it done on the field for more than a full decade. 

There are plenty of fans who give their time and money without asking for a thing in return outside of having the audacity to hope that Texas will field a competent team that, maybe every now and then, attempts to compete for a title. 

Singing The Eyes isn't a hill I'm going to die on, but to view such elements of college sports as irrelevant is to conclude that CFB should be viewed on par with professional sports. You're welcome to that kind of subjective position, but you don't get to project it onto everyone else. 

Hey, glad to see you aren't dead buddy.  

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Thing is he's not wrong.  That was my takeaway from the game as we shoulda/coulda/woulda win it with no unit playing particularly well, some guys we count on having off games etc.  He's right, it is all fixable.

Beat OU

We’ve had these same issues every year under Herman. One could draw the conclusion that yes they are fixable but he doesn’t know how to fix them. Fuck him. Get this sack of shit out of our university. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Beat OU

My biggest issues from the game are purely coaching/time management (decision to sit on it before half with a Sr QB and elite kicker, conservative runs into a stacked box once you take lead, running "tempo" play to a back that is responsible for the last 75 yards of offense on back to back play and is gassed, when we should have been running clock).  That's not fixable.  That's Herman panicking/making shitty decisions.  And we've seen it far too often to think it's fixable.

9 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Meh.  I recall Brown saying that Sunday practices had went well after the 4 Black Saturdays against OU.    After we'd been raped to the tune of a combined 246-65.

So give Herman a break.  Brown is one of his mentors and the Sunday-went-well comment is part of the sage advice that was passed along. 

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

My biggest issues from the game are purely coaching/time management (decision to sit on it before half with a Sr QB and elite kicker, conservative runs into a stacked box once you take lead, running "tempo" play to a back that is responsible for the last 75 yards of offense on back to back play and is gassed, when we should have been running clock).  That's not fixable.  That's Herman panicking/making shitty decisions.  And we've seen it far too often to think it's fixable.

Sure. Those were all things that stuck in my craw.  My sense is not shooting yourself in the dick is fixable.  I give you, national championship coaches Phil Fulmer, Jimbo Fisher, Les Miles and Ed Orgeron, but yeah- it might not be fixable with Tom. I'd like to think that it is though, but like I said- Then fix it asshole

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, horn.g20 said:

did anyone ask why he surrendered like a pussy at the end of the first half with 55 seconds and the best scoring offense in the nation

Backed up on your side of the field with no timeouts right after giving away a quick score and tcu still with 2 remaining timeouts, Herman made the right decision.

He fucked up a lot... but not on trying a running play on 1st down here in this situation. 

FUCK, even Urban defended this decision by Herman...

Edited by LTtxfan