If not Urban Meyer, who?

Beau Vine

If not Urban Myer, who?  

347 members have voted

1. 1. Suppose we can't/won't get Urban Meyer...who is your backup plan?

• Bryan Harsin
    • Chris Petersen
    • Bob Stoops
    • Mack Brown
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Steve Sarkisian
    • James Franklin
    • Bill O'Brien
    • Gus Mahlzan
    • Kyle Shanahan
    • would rather keep Herman if we can't get Meyer
    • Other, mention in reply
    • PJ Fleck
    • Matt Campbell
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Jesus Christ himself

6 hours ago, taybo20 said:

It could be an interesting coaching carousel if both Texas and auburn start looking. Auburn is fed up with Malzahn and the buyout talks are starting there too. 

Crazy that some folks here mentioned Malzahn as a possible replacement for Herman...

NO FUCKING WAY!!!

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Absolutely.  

20 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

Like what?

Seems as the athletic department thinks our “brand” speaks for itself and, on its own, can recruit and win in football, basketball and baseball and generate lots of money doing so.  Face it, we are not good at any of the big 3 at this time and haven’t been for a while.   We are arrogant and not good.  It shows and is laughable.  Our football team is filled with soft, posing pre-madonnas that don’t seemed focused on being good football players or a great football team and the staff does nothing to change it while recruiting more of the same.

Simply changing coaches (again) and attempting to bring about a “new culture” (again) has failed us before and will again. 

I don’t know what the answer is.  Maybe we go for a satanic coach like Urban and let him have complete control and damn our souls to hell.  

What do I know?  (not much).  

• Like 1

@deadshank  It kinda has though.  We have done shit for the last ten years but still get good recruiting classes cause of the brand and it’s still done no good.  It’s a blessing and a curse having such a strong brand really.  That’s part of the issue though I agree, we are getting soft brand chasers and not killers.

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

@deadshank  It kinda has though.  We have done shit for the last ten years but still get good recruiting classes cause of the brand and it’s still done no good.   That’s part of the issue though I agree, we are getting soft brand chasers and not killers.

You are more eloquent than my simpleton self. Brand chasers versus killers.  Well put. 

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

Absolutely.  

But how much of that is rooted in athletics (that CDC needs to be working on) vs. institutional and Zoomer culture bullshit?  I fear it's the latter but there are a few hard-nosed, old school coaches who have programs ticking fast enough to navigate the softness.

On 10/10/2020 at 10:35 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

Tony Elliott - Clemson OC.  

fuck the “needs head coach experience” stigma this fucking program has. Go get one of the best coaches in the country if it isn’t Urban. 

This right here. Or keep Herman.

I'm not even going to bother reading the rest of this thread because it will soon turn into a shit storm.

Out!

1 minute ago, High Plains Drifter said:

This right here. Or keep Herman.

I'm not even going to bother reading the rest of this thread because it will soon turn into a shit storm.

Out!

I'm not averse to hiring an assistant but it's a lot harder to project these guys as head coaches until they've been head coaches. OU hit a home run with Stoops. Chad Morris was Tony Elliott before Tony Elliott was Tony Elliott (this sentence makes my head hurt). That didn't work out so well.

Urban is a known commodity, one of the best college coaches in the game. He's won national titles in two different places. He would wreck shop at Texas. And he's available. It's a goddamn layup unless Texas is too high-and-mighty to make that hire.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

I'm not averse to hiring an assistant but it's a lot harder to project these guys as head coaches until they've been head coaches. OU hit a home run with Stoops. Chad Morris was Tony Elliott before Tony Elliott was Tony Elliott (this sentence makes my head hurt). That didn't work out so well.

Urban is a known commodity, one of the best college coaches in the game. He's won national titles in two different places. He would wreck shop at Texas. And he's available. It's a goddamn layup unless Texas is too high-and-mighty to make that hire.

Lol like when Saban was available and Texas botched his hire?  Will Texas botch another hall of fame coach hire?

7 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

Lol like when Saban was available and Texas botched his hire?  Will Texas botch another hall of fame coach hire?

I mean "layup" like the decision couldn't be any easier. Hall of Fame coach is a studio analyst and by most accounts ready to jump back in the game. If Texas dumps Herman, I have to think we're the most attractive blue-blood program with a vacancy. There's plenty of things that can get sideways from Point A to Point B for sure. We've been down this road before.

5 hours ago, C-Man said:

I mean "layup" like the decision couldn't be any easier. Hall of Fame coach is a studio analyst and by most accounts ready to jump back in the game. If Texas dumps Herman, I have to think we're the most attractive blue-blood program with a vacancy. There's plenty of things that can get sideways from Point A to Point B for sure. We've been down this road before.

You know he is itching for it.  It is a win-win situation.  If he fails people will say Texas is so toxic even Meyer couldn't turn it around.  If he does return Texas into playoff contention, he will further build his legacy as one of the greatest coaches in CFB.  The one who brought Texas back.

9 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

@deadshank  It kinda has though.  We have done shit for the last ten years but still get good recruiting classes cause of the brand and it’s still done no good.  It’s a blessing and a curse having such a strong brand really.  That’s part of the issue though I agree, we are getting soft brand chasers and not killers.

9 hours ago, deadshank said:

You are more eloquent than my simpleton self. Brand chasers versus killers.  Well put. 

That brand will start fading pretty quickly if something doesn’t change soon. We don’t have time to fuck around with hiring talented but unproven assistants. We have to nail this next hire before we fade further and further into being irrelevant like Nebraska and Miami. Meyer is the only available guy that all but guarantees this program will be in the playoff picture within 2-3 years 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

That brand will start fading pretty quickly if something doesn’t change soon. We don’t have time to fuck around with hiring talented but unproven assistants. We have to nail this next hire before we fade further and further into being irrelevant like Nebraska and Miami. Meyer is the only available guy that all but guarantees this program will be in the playoff picture within 2-3 years 

Meyer or Art Briles. They are pretty much interchangeable. Either of them would probably produce on the field and ensure the Texas Longhorn brand had a strong identity.

Edited by Randolph Duke

10 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Meyer or Art Briles. They are pretty much interchangeable. Either of them would probably produce on the field and ensure the Texas brand had a strong identity.

Definitely not interchangeable. Meyer is one of the 5 or 10 best head coaches in the history of college football. The Briles/Baylor controversy is a lot worse than anything Meyer has ever allowed on his watch, even though Meyer has allowed a lot on his watch. 

Either way, don’t care. I don’t care if he bails in 5-6 years, I don’t care if we have recruiting violations under him. At this point I don’t care about creating good men that we would want our daughters to date. Honestly I’d rather have my defensive players have an edge about them where I absolutely wouldn’t want my daughter to date them. All I care about is being in the national title picture every year and producing top talent for the NFL draft so we can watch those guys dominate on Sunday (furthering our recruiting efforts). To be honest, I feel like that’s our birthright as Texas fans, and it’s borderline unacceptable that we aren’t doing everything in our power to get back to being the blue blood everyone fears. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

3 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Definitely not interchangeable. Meyer is one of the 5 or 10 best head coaches in the history of college football. The Briles/Baylor controversy is a lot worse than anything Meyer has ever allowed on his watch, even though Meyer has allowed a lot on his watch. 

Either way, don’t care. I don’t care if he bails in 5-6 years, I don’t care if we have recruiting violations under him. At this point I don’t care about creating good men that we would want our daughters to date. Honestly I’d rather have my defensive players have an edge about them where I absolutely wouldn’t want my daughter to date them. All I care about is being in the national title picture every year and producing top talent for the NFL draft so we can watch those guys dominate on Sunday (furthering our recruiting efforts). To be honest, I feel like that’s our birthright as Texas fans, and it’s borderline unacceptable that we aren’t doing everything in our power to get back to being the blue blood everyone fears. 

If you had recruiting violations under Meyer, you'd be the first.  

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If you had recruiting violations under Meyer, you'd be the first.  

I gotcha. Long story short I couldn’t care less about any of the shady shit if we’re playing OU in the big 12 championship for a spot in the college football playoff every year and we get in a handful of times. With anything less we aren’t living up to the standard of Texas football. No other team in the conference recruits with us besides OU. You know how embarrassing it is when kstate and Iowa state don’t fear you at all? And not only do they not fear you, they expect to go in your house and beat you because they’re confident they’re the better team. 

1 minute ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I gotcha. Long story short I couldn’t care less about any of the shady shit if we’re playing OU in the big 12 championship for a spot in the college football playoff every year and we get in a handful of times. With anything less we aren’t living up to the standard of Texas football. No other team in the conference recruits with us besides OU. You know how embarrassing it is when kstate and Iowa state don’t fear you at all? And not only do they not fear you, they expect to go in your house and beat you because they’re confident they’re the better team. 

You seem to have a lot of your self-esteem dependent on college football. I think that may be clouding your judgment a bit. 

The people making the decisions probably look at things differently. 

Just saying.

Oh, and Urban Meyer will never be on the payroll at UT Austin in any capacity. Ever. So don’t get your hopes up too high. 

7 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Just because he wins at schools not named Texas isn't evidence of "shady shit." There's never been a whisper of recruiting violations against Meyer and he doesn't have any history of NCAA infractions. He's never even been guilty of oversigning like Saban. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

12 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

You seem to have a lot of your self-esteem dependent on college football. I think that may be clouding your judgment a bit. 

The people making the decisions probably look at things differently. 

Just saying.

Oh, and Urban Meyer will never be on the payroll at UT Austin in any capacity. Ever. So don’t get your hopes up too high. 

My self esteem isn’t dependent on college football. If I’m being perfectly honest, the last 10 years have made me care a lot less about college football (not just Texas football). Losing to a bad TCU team doesn’t bother me anymore. I don’t talk to my dad for an hr about Texas football anymore. I don’t follow recruiting anymore, because I know it doesn’t matter for us. I’ve been a die hard Texas fan my whole life and I hardly even care anymore. I can’t imagine being an 18 year old kid with aspirations of winning a championship and/or making it to the NFL, and choosing to come to the university of Texas. 

“so besides being Texas, and being located in Austin, why exactly should I come here?”

”well...because we’re Texas”

Youre probably right that he’ll never be on our payroll though. I know this program doesn’t care enough about winning to make a move like that. They really don’t care about winning at all like most other blue blood programs. I’ve come to terms with that. I’ve accepted that we have probably already fallen into the Nebraska, Miami, Tennessee pool of blue blood programs that probably won’t be relevant ever again. It is what it is. If they don’t care, I don’t care that much either. The OU loss did hurt though. Not gonna lie.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

8 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

If I’m being perfectly honest, the last 10 years have made me care a lot less about college football (not just Texas football). Losing to a bad TCU team doesn’t bother me anymore. I don’t talk to my dad for an hr about Texas football anymore. I don’t follow recruiting anymore, because I know it doesn’t matter for us. I’ve been a die hard Texas fan my whole life and I hardly even care anymore. 

I don’t get this.  Are you too young to remember 1984-1996?  Did the perpetual Holiday Bowl reunion show sponsored by Mack Brown from then to 2004 not make a mark? 

I mean, other than a high spot here and there and Vince/Colt, this is what it is.  I don’t understand why “the last decade” is fundamentally different from the three before that.  

2 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I don’t get this.  Are you too young to remember 1984-1996?  Did the perpetual Holiday Bowl reunion show sponsored by Mack Brown from then to 2004 not make a mark? 

I mean, other than a high spot here and there and Vince/Colt, this is what it is.  I don’t understand why “the last decade” is fundamentally different from the three before that.  

I was born in 1991. 

9 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Then you were sold a bill of goods.  Sorry about that. 

I’m like a kid who has been spoiled his entire life, and I thought this was how it was always going to be. I wasn’t prepared for the challenges of the real world. I was a senior in HS when Texas was in the championship vs Bama. We’ve been bad my entire adult life. I wasn’t prepared for that being a possibility going into that 2010 year with GG. 

Current active coaches with titles under their belts: Saban (6), Swinney (2), Jumbo (1), Brown (1), Miles (1).  Urban (3) is "available" as far as I am concerned until he publicly says no.  We already botched the Saban hire once and it has led to 10 years of misery.  Now we have a chance to hire another HOF coach, are we going to fumble it again?  If we want to win, I dont think the answer is any more obvious.

Why?  He is a proven coach in the Big 12.  He knows how to identify and develop talent.

I think it would be wise to get someone from inside the Big 12.  Gundy or Campbell or Patterson.  But I don't think Patterson is the answer.  If Texas really is the 800 lb gorilla then we need to act like it.  Go take what we want from other schools.  Worst case is we piss the Big 12 off and it leads to a quicker demise for the conference.

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I’m like a kid who has been spoiled his entire life, and I thought this was how it was always going to be. I wasn’t prepared for the challenges of the real world. I was a senior in HS when Texas was in the championship vs Bama. We’ve been bad my entire adult life. I wasn’t prepared for that being a possibility going into that 2010 year with GG. 

You want to know spoiled?  I was at UT for vy, colt, KD, college World Series, plus countless other championships.  Not to mention a final four my senior year in HS. 

Edited by Xian
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

None of us wants to hear this but if Urban doesn't come--for whatever reason(s)--then we're most likely stuck with Herman. We need a true splash hire, and if it's not Urban, nobody can come up with even a plausible alternative.  In that case, look at all the reasons/excuses to keep  him: $-buyout, COVID, fear of the dreaded 3-and-out Groundhog Day coaching carousel, public perception. I could go on and on. These are mostly excuses, granted, but without a killer hire that makes everybody say, "Holy shit. Did you see who Texas hired?" it's doubtful that we do anything. And I hate that as much as anybody.

37 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

Current active coaches with titles under their belts: Saban (6), Swinney (2), Jumbo (1), Brown (1), Miles (1).  Urban (3) is "available" as far as I am concerned until he publicly says no.  We already botched the Saban hire once and it has led to 10 years of misery.  Now we have a chance to hire another HOF coach, are we going to fumble it again?  If we want to win, I dont think the answer is any more obvious.

Ed O too. But yeah.

14 minutes ago, Jack Wilson said:

None of us wants to hear this but if Urban doesn't come--for whatever reason(s)--then we're most likely stuck with Herman. We need a true splash hire, and if it's not Urban, nobody can come up with even a plausible alternative.  In that case, look at all the reasons/excuses to keep  him: $-buyout, COVID, fear of the dreaded 3-and-out Groundhog Day coaching carousel, public perception. I could go on and on. These are mostly excuses, granted, but without a killer hire that makes everybody say, "Holy shit. Did you see who Texas hired?" it's doubtful that we do anything. And I hate that as much as anybody.

If it’s not Urban, then there is zero reason to can Herman. The Urban Dilemma is about as black and white as these things get. If you hire him, you are saying that anything less than championships is unacceptable. If you don’t, it’s a clear statement that winning Championships isn’t a high priority.

so if it’s not Urban, we already have the perfect guy for the job.

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Xian said:

You want to know spoiled?  I was at UT for vy, colt, KD, college World Series, plus countless other championships.  Not to mention a final four my senior year in HS. 

So you left/graduated (I hope!) and things have gone to shit. 
How would you feel about going back? Like in the Spring! For your Masters, or Doctorate, of whatever the hell is after that!  Just.Go.Back.NOW.

4 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

So you left/graduated (I hope!) and things have gone to shit. 
How would you feel about going back? Like in the Spring! For your Masters, or Doctorate, of whatever the hell is after that!  Just.Go.Back.NOW.

Good point. I’ll tell my wife i need to move back to Austin for my MBA.  Wonder if she will agree. Lol 

• Like 1