Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

On 12/19/2023 at 5:39 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I said it before and I’ll say again and again. I can’t think of a more embarrassing Longhorn alumnus that is in the public eye than Abbott. What a fucking dickhead. Just can’t count on trees anymore.

Yet he will roll out on the field at the Sugar Bowl wearing his diaper. 

On 12/19/2023 at 5:39 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I said it before and I’ll say again and again. I can’t think of a more embarrassing Longhorn alumnus that is in the public eye than Abbott. What a fucking dickhead. Just can’t count on trees anymore.

don’t forget, he wants to tear apart UT Austin to get rid of the libs.

UT Austin Maga approved !

45 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Abbott is trying to get Trump to notice him….

Y'all can keep making lame excuses for Abbott.

But, the 100% unimpeachable fact is: Greg Abbott is a fascist theocrat who is doing what 55% of Texas voters want. That's implementing laws to impose a fascist theocracy in Texas. The goals of MAGA-GQP include Texas under Biblical rule in a merger of church and police-state. How much more evidence do y'all need?

Texas is fast becoming a full-on fascist theocratic state. It's only going to get more authoritarian and insane.

The ACLU is correct to issue warnings.

And Texas will be fascist/theocratic until 51% voters say otherwise for a couple of decades. 

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

7 minutes ago, BevoAbyss said:

Y'all can keep making lame excuses for Abbott.

But, the 100% unimpeachable fact is: Greg Abbott is a fascist theocrat who is doing what 55% of Texas voters want. That's implementing laws to impose a fascist theocracy in Texas. The goals of MAGA-GQP include Texas under Biblical rule in a merger of church and state. How much more evidence do y'all need?

Texas is fast becoming a full-on fascist theocratic state. The ACLU is correct to issue warnings.

And Texas will be fascist/theocratic until 51% voters say otherwise for a couple of decades. 

There's the Party, and then there's the voters. Yeah, I'd say about 75% of the Party wants that, but I'd argue that about 40% of people who vote Republican in the general election desire that outcome (i.e., fascist, authoritarian theocrats). The rest are what I'd call Reflexive Republicans, voting that way out of habit through either ignorance or naïveté.

This latter group largely didn't vote in the primaries but will show up in the general election and just reflexively select Team R without actually knowing why other than some vague notion of conservatism.

I'm certainly not downplaying the threat, though. Hell, I've been arguing since the early 1990s that the GOP was headed in this direction. But I will also argue we have two political problems here: First, the fascists. Second, those who are lazy, ill-informed, and/or naive team players.

I realize this might hurt some feelings here among former Goppers, but I'd classify many of them as part of that second group, having been either ill-informed or naive Reflexive Republicans. For whatever reason, they didn't see the end game until the last few years.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

19 minutes ago, bolverk said:

But I will also argue we have two political problems here: First, the fascists. Second, those who are lazy, ill-informed, and/or naive team players.

I think this is true.  I know some of the second group.  I don't condone being lazy or ill-informed, but they exist.  Their vote counts the same, though, and they bear the same amount of blame.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think this is true.  I know some of the second group.  I don't condone being lazy or ill-informed, but they exist.  Their vote counts the same, though, and they bear the same amount of blame.

Oh, yeah, same. I don't know how you could be a Texan without knowing a gob of them.

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I wish I had the ability to ignore all this shit.  I'd probably be happier, honestly.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I wish I had the ability to ignore all this shit.  I'd probably be happier, honestly.

Cosmos, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Which version of the bible does abbott read ?

So there's hundreds more frightened people, wandering the freezing streets of Chicago, with no money or food, on Christmas Eve?  I mean, you couldn't make this shit up if you were charged with writing the most depressing holiday story of all time.  

Sometimes I think Abbott and DeSantis are trying to bait these folks into physically taking charge of the busses by force out of desperation because they know what's going to happen to them on the other end.  And then they get to turn around and say, "See!  Violent criminals and thugs!"  

Merry Christmas Greg.  Hope you get a colostomy bag full of coal this year!

• Like 1

As many issues as we have with him, who gives a shit if Abbott showed up?  He probably had some sauce-drenched brisket bet with the Washington governor.  That's fine.  Happens at half the bowl games in this country.  Plus he's a UT guy and once upon a time, actually did try to help the University/UT System through some challenges.  

What cracks me up is Ted Cruz showing up at this stuff.  To this day, when asked about Cancun...he makes the same labia-faced claim, "What could I possibly do as a U.S. Senator/Federally Elected Official/no state power in Texas?"  Well, let's see Ted...you're not a Sugar Bowl rep., you have no authority over Louisiana or New Orleans, or the state of Washington, you don't hold statewide elected office in Texas, you didn't attend the school playing in the game, you throw a football as well as Stephen Hawking, most of the people in the Superdome hate you, and years later-you forget that a Senator can still marshal federal resources for his home state during a time of crisis instead of trying to get bumped up to Economy+ to visit a family that is imprisoned by your evil soul.  But yeah, Greg's down there on the sidelines so why don't you go steal some headlines you worthless fuckface."  

Singling out individual GOP state reps because they didn't go along with your voucher con, Greg.  I know you think it's a bold flex, but it's not.  It means your paranoid and losing your grip.  This is not the projected strength that the Donald will notice, he'll see for it is---petty.  And Trump is not an astute observer, but he'll brush this off just as you should, Governor.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

13 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

What slime. Attacking a representative for doing something that would have actually prevented Uvalde. This man has no conscience.

Beyond that (And that's a big "beyond that." Remember, nothing has changed to prevent the next Uvalde happening tomorrow), he is being hit by Abbott for voting for Republican Dade Phelan as speaker... who won 145-3. So if that's the benchmark, there's a whole lot of people you should be going after, Greg.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

23 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Singling out individual GOP state reps because they didn't go along with your voucher con, Greg.  I know you think it's a bold flex, but it's not.  It means your paranoid and losing your grip. 

I don’t know if Abbott and others realize how petty and scared they come across as, but I doubt they’d care.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

What slime. Attacking a representative for doing something that would have actually prevented Uvalde. This man has no conscience.

Beyond that (And that's a big "beyond that." Remember, nothing has changed to prevent the next Uvalde happening tomorrow), he is being hit by Abbott for voting for Republican Dade Phelan as speaker... who won 145-3. So if that's the benchmark, there's a whole lot of people you should be going after, Greg.

I think he literally made a venn-diagram of R's who voted for Phelan and against his school voucher bill(s).  And he's going after them first, one by one.  He'll use their voting on guns and abortion 'n shit and fodder, but in the end---it's the voucher program that embarrassed him most, considering it took that many special sessions to basically just broadcast his failure of leadership.  Holland's just the beta test case.  This will go through primary/runoff season.  

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

I don’t know if Abbott and others realize how petty and scared they come across as, but I doubt they’d care.

It does come across as bold and brave to their hardcore base.  But little by little, as demography changes, they can't afford to have their kinda average to moderate GOP'ers stay home anymore on election day.  I know in the CR space, every Republican is an evil moron who will take up arms in the streets to defend the RPT.  But in reality, a lot of them will look at this infighting and not out being noble, but just out of being human and wanting to avoid drama, and think, "Oh fuck this soap opera.  Nobody else bothers to vote in primaries or runoffs, why the fuck should I?  Let them be adults and figure it out."  Won't be a huge amount of Republicans, but it's gonna be enough to sway some extremist races in many districts.  I mean, an Abbott-backed primary opponent vs. Holland bitchy slap-fight.  We all know a lotta rural/exurban Texans who would look at that and think, "Buncha bitches up in here.  Sort if out like adults."  

On 12/24/2023 at 9:46 AM, tx 3 putt said:

Which version of the bible does abbott read ?

I was in Europe several weeks ago with a study group looking at how religion has been misused in peace building and how it might be redirected toward reconciliation at the sharper, more fractured edges of society. In one session, it was suggested that whenever one asks if I am Christian, I should respond by inviting them to ask my neighbor. Why? Because it is my neighbor who has observed what I do as well as what I say I believe. It is my neighbor who can assess if I practice any tenants expressed in the Gospels and how I treat other people. 
i can declare myself to be anything, but the truer read often comes from the observations of others. I wonder what feedback Abbott would get if he asked his neighbors who are troubling the waters of the Rio Grande, if he is Christian.

• Hook 'Em 2

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/05/us/migrant-crisis-new-york-bus-company-lawsuit/index.html

After attempting to pump the brakes on “rogue buses” from Texas dropping off migrants by the thousands, the mayor of New York City has filed a lawsuit against a dozen charter bus companies that transported migrants from Texas to New York City.

The lawsuit, which names 17 charter bus companies from Texas, Louisiana, Ohio and Indiana, was filed in New York Supreme Court on Wednesday and is seeking $708 million in damages to cover the care provided for at least 33,600 asylum seekers who have arrived in the city since 2022.

Last week Adams signed an executive order requiring all charter buses carrying asylum seekers into the city to comply with guidelines that regulate when and where migrants can be dropped off, and requires advance written notice of their arrival under the threat of impound, fines and even jail time. But “not one bus from Texas” had complied, Adams’ chief counsel Lisa Zornberg said Tuesday.

Abbott dismissed the lawsuit in comments he posted on the governor’s state website.

“This lawsuit is baseless and deserves to be sanctioned,” Abbott said in an online statement Thursday in response to the lawsuit. “It’s clear that Mayor Adams knows nothing about the Commerce Clause of the U.S. Constitution, or about the constitutional right to travel that has been recognized by the U.S. Supreme Court.”

“Every migrant bused or flown to New York City did so voluntarily, after having been authorized by the Biden Administration to remain in the United States,” he continued. “As such, they have constitutional authority to travel across the country that Mayor Adams is interfering with. If the Mayor persists in this lawsuit, he may be held legally accountable for his violations.”

Abbott doesn’t realize that he’s helping to create an increase in immigrants who realize he’ll give them a free bus ride away from the border if they get across the border.

• Hook 'Em 1

“It’s clear that Mayor Adams knows nothing about the Commerce Clause of the U.S. Constitution, or about the constitutional right to travel that has been recognized by the U.S. Supreme Court.”

Would that be the same constitutional right that allows women to travel on public roads, perhaps across state lines, in order to have an abortion, Greg?

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Abbott is no Christian:

On New Year's Eve, Abbott flew hundreds of migrants — including many children — to the Rockford airport in Illinois, 30 miles outside of Chicago. It was snowing upon their arrival, and some of the migrants had no coats or shoes. Others were wearing flip-flops.

• Rage+1 3

58 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Abbott is no Christian:

On New Year's Eve, Abbott flew hundreds of migrants — including many children — to the Rockford airport in Illinois, 30 miles outside of Chicago. It was snowing upon their arrival, and some of the migrants had no coats or shoes. Others were wearing flip-flops.

I want to know who these pilots and bus drivers are.  They should be prosecuted as accomplices.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

Abbott is no Christian:

I believe that he’s angry about his accident, and he wants to make as many people as possible suffer in some way.  Or that he’s angry that his political career had topped out and he wants people to suffer.  Or both. Either way,  he’s going to continue to do his best to make people suffer.  There’s a lot of hate there.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Came across this.  Would like for Abbott supporters to explain how these moves (or lack thereof) make any sense other than trying to score political points by increasing chaos.  I imagine the responses would be along the lines of "Texas doesn't get time to prepare, neither should you."  Which is of course bullshit.

This man cannot believe in an afterlife where he might have to pay for some of this, can he?  I mean this stuff is borderline psychopathic.  Prime example of how Texas Reds operate.   Don't take advantage of a bad situation by showing how you can work with others to make it better, but make that bad situation even worse to win votes from the dumbs.  

How Texas officials stymied nonprofits' efforts to help migrants they bused to northern cities

By Manuel Bojorquez, Chrissy Hallowell

Updated on: January 9, 2024 / 8:55 AM EST / CBS News

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-texas-officials-stymied-nonprofits-efforts-to-help-migrants-they-bused-to-northern-cities

As an unofficial network of migrant advocates worked to bring organization and efficiency to bus arrivals in cities around the U.S., Texas officials quietly tried to thwart them, maximizing chaos for the Democratic-led cities where the buses were sent, a CBS News investigation has found.

Two years ago, to draw attention to the failure of the federal government to come up with policies to stem the flow of migrants across the southern border, the Republican governor of Texas, Greg Abbott, initiated Operation Lone Star. Part of that was a plan to put migrants crossing the southern border on buses and send them north — and drop them off en masse in cities led by Democrats. 

To prepare for the busloads of migrants arriving in New York, Washington, D.C., and other cities, a woman named Tiffany Burrow forged relationships with nonprofit workers in destination cities to help them prepare for the buses. In September, without explanation, Texas officials told her they would no longer provide the information necessary for her to coordinate bus arrivals, CBS News learned through interviews with those involved.

Burrow, who runs the Val Verde Border Humanitarian Coalition, says that the state agency in charge of the bus program, the Texas Division of Emergency Management (TDEM), told her it would stop providing her with logistical information to enable her to coordinate migrant arrivals. Further, the agency would stop observing a drop-off curfew that would prevent buses from arriving in cities in the middle of the night. 

A spokesperson for the state's Division of Emergency Management, Seth Christensen, seemed to confirm this, saying that the state "is not involved in the coordination" with nonprofits about bus departure and arrival times — even though the state is running the busing program and, according to Burrow, had at first provided her with logistical information she could use to coordinate arrivals. 

Burrow had initially viewed Operation Lone Star as a program that might help migrants reach their final destinations faster and more efficiently. 

"I was the one that was providing migrants for their buses," she said. "If we're not gonna do this in a coordinated effort, then it really loses its usefulness for migrants."

For years, Burrow and her nonprofit have helped migrants arriving in Del Rio figure out the next step of their journey. That's why when the state wanted to start a migrant busing program in 2022, officials turned to her. She says she and the state agreed "this would actually help a lot of people." 

A day after Burrow agreed to work with Texas on Operation Lone Star, its first bus departed. She said migrants expressed "enthusiasm" and "gratefulness" for a free bus ride that would take them closer to their final destinations.

"We had this huge map that filled up an entire wall. And we were able to show 'this is where you're at — here in Del Rio — and this is where the bus is going — Washington, D.C.'"

But Burrow quickly found migrants were arriving at their destination cities without any infrastructure there to welcome them. 

"I knew if I wanted the buses to be met, I was gonna have to do the legwork," she said.

That included identifying and notifying nonprofits in cities the migrants were headed, like Migrant Solidarity Mutual Aid in Washington, D.C., run by Amy Fischer. She was connected to Burrow by a friend days after the program's first bus departed Texas.

"I immediately was like, 'I'm organizing people to respond. Here's my cellphone.' And she called me — just like that. Eventually, Tiffany started saying, 'There is a bus coming your way, and here's the ETA,'" Fischer said.  

As Operation Lone Star spread to more cities, the organizing effort on the ground expanded with it. In a matter of months, it was a network. 

"Each time [Burrow] would hear that another city was coming on board, she would tell me, and I would find her a person to coordinate with and receive on the other end," Fischer explained.

Burrow informed migrants that the journey was voluntary, and the bus would stop three times for gas and three times to change drivers. There would also be two security guards on each bus to ensure their safety. 

For months, the network was effective, Fischer said. Within weeks of the program starting, Texas officials even agreed to a request by Burrow to impose a curfew to prevent buses from arriving at destinations between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m., when it would be difficult to provide services to the arriving migrants.

But, in September, Burrow said she was informed the curfew would no longer be observed. And Texas officials told Burrow they also would no longer provide her with details about the bus movements, effectively thwarting her ability to coordinate with receiving cities.

Burrow told CBS News she's no longer working with Texas officials on the program.

Under Operation Lone Star, since April 2022, nearly 100,000 migrants have been transported from overwhelmed border towns like Del Rio to cities led by Democrats, like Chicago and New York. 

Charter contracts obtained by CBS News show that the effort has already cost the state over $100 million since it began.

New York City's Democratic Mayor Eric Adams has called for more federal funding and said in September that the influx of migrants "will destroy New York City." 

In a statement to CBS News, a spokesperson for TDEM said, "Our partner [nonprofits] in border communities know the destination cities… and approximately how long each mission takes. They have complete flexibility to adjust their operating hours for loading and departure in order to line up bus arrivals at the times they desire."

Abbott's office did not respond to questions from CBS News about why TDEM reduced its coordination with Burrow. But in the past, he has pushed back against criticism regarding the chaos around migrant arrivals in destination cities.

"We don't get any notice about who's coming across when or where or how many," Abbott said in September.

Burrow had two follow-up meetings with city and state officials days after her September meeting, but she has not changed her mind about ending her partnership with Texas on Operation Lone Star.  

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/how-texas-officials-stymied-efforts-to-help-migrants-they-bused-to-northern-cities/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Came across this.  Would like for Abbott supporters to explain how these moves (or lack thereof) make any sense other than trying to score political points by increasing chaos.  I imagine the responses would be along the lines of "Texas doesn't get time to prepare, neither should you."  Which is of course bullshit.

This man cannot believe in an afterlife where he might have to pay for some of this, can he?  I mean this stuff is borderline psychopathic.  Prime example of how Texas Reds operate.   Don't take advantage of a bad situation by showing how you can work with others to make it better, but make that bad situation even worse to win votes from the dumbs.  

How Texas officials stymied nonprofits' efforts to help migrants they bused to northern cities

By Manuel Bojorquez, Chrissy Hallowell

Updated on: January 9, 2024 / 8:55 AM EST / CBS News

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-texas-officials-stymied-nonprofits-efforts-to-help-migrants-they-bused-to-northern-cities

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/how-texas-officials-stymied-efforts-to-help-migrants-they-bused-to-northern-cities/

Blah blah blah.  The cruelty is the point.  It's the only point.  It's literally the only thing the modern GQP stands for.  Whatever other values may have once existed there, they have all been crowded out by that singular purpose -- plain fucking cruelty.

It's a party of shitty assholes who take joy in doing shitty asshole things.

Imagine this: you can send a child in shitty shoes with no coat to Chicago, where he will be met by someone who will kindly provide the child with shoes and a coat, OR, you can send a child in shitty shoes with no coat to Chicago, and you can instead do everything you can to make sure he is dumped on the freezing streets with nobody there to help, nobody to provide those basic needs.  You have that choice.  AND YOU CHOOSE THE SECOND OPTION.

You are an evil piece of shit.  Do not pass GO, do not collect $200 -- go straight to fucking hell.  Oh, and the cherry on top?  These fucking ASSHOLES shout as often and as loudly as they can "WE'RE CHRISTIANS!"  This fucking timeline, man.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

On 1/8/2024 at 3:05 PM, Satchel said:

Abbott is no Christian:

IMG_8381.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I can't believe someone like that exists and that he is the leader of our state. 

I'm holding out hope that there is some redeeming comment after the recording is cut off. 

"Greg Abbott: We're not shooting people only because we be charged with murder by the crazy Dems."

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

CNN trolling

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2024/01/12/greg-abbott-walks-back-shoot-migrants-comment-sot-lead-vpx.cnn

Governor walks back suggestion that Texas would shoot migrants if it weren't illegal

Gov. Greg Abbott (R-TX) was asked to explain remarks he made to a radio show on January 5th that seemed to suggest that the state of Texas has not resorted to shooting migrants on the border with Mexico because the Biden administration would charge them with murder.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1