The Robert Mueller Investigation

Hugo Stiglitz

Well, except for the part where Hillary nearly twice as much money as Teh Donald and took 3x the outside contributions and Teh Donald self-funded nearly a third of his campaign.  https://www.opensecrets.org/pres16

Plus, Citizens United, while bad, only trashed a campaign finance limitation that was less than 10 years old.  More than a radical change to campaign finance law, it sort of unleashed the status quo and turbocharged it.

I'm all for trashing Citizens United, but it had almost nothing to do with the Dotard.
They were both super shitty. Can we all just agree on that and move on? I'm about as socially liberal as they get and I think that woman is terrible. I'm not party over country. I just want sanity and a modicum of fair representation restored. Citizens United is a fucking travesty for our democracy/republic. I wish we could all agree in that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

He, and hypocrites like him, is the reason that I began to question my Southern Baptist upbringing. That, of course, led me to question the entire message of Christ, as well as my belief in God.

I don't know about God, but the message of Christ, as told by humans now long gone, is mostly pretty cool. 

The problem is, as has been the case for centuries, pieces of shit have distorted that message to justify countless unspeakable acts. 

That's why, for me personally, I believe in being kind and compassionate to people, and fuck religion. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I'm encouraged by the fact that the percentage of Americans who consider themselves religious is on the decline. That's been a trend for a while; we still lag far behind Europe. But a lot of young people have already been indoctrinated and are trapped in their belief system.  They're metaphorically lost souls. 

I don't know if the Trump presidency will have much of an impact on the trend. We will probably not live to see the day when the religious landscape in this country is significantly different than it is right now. That's a generational process too. 

i don't think the presidency is relevant.  i think the behavior of religious people during this crisis is what may have impact going forward.  it would be hard to characterize that behavior as pro-american.  anti-american at the worst and laissez faire at the best might be the ticket there.  if these youngsters coming up maintain the nascent civic interest they seem to be showing, i have to think the worthless posture of the church here is going to cut pretty deep among the leaders of that group.  maybe.

Jesus was a good dude. Wish our current Christian leaders would actually follow his example.

But instead their unwavering support of president shitstain will hasten most of the demise of organized religion in this country. I think that’s a bad thing but they’ve made their choice. Time for everyone to join The whiskeypalian church. 

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The teachings of Jesus Christ is the only thing of value in Christianity in my opinion, the rest is window dressing.  If everyone lived up to his philosophy, the world would be a much better place.

oh,  absolutely.  i see two kinds of religion today.  one formal and the other informal and personal.  i'm really getting the impression that only one of those is really meaningful.

11 minutes ago, yaqdum said:

oh,  absolutely.  i see two kinds of religion today.  one formal and the other informal and personal.  i'm really getting the impression that only one of those is really meaningful.

The real answer is neither.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

They were both super shitty. Can we all just agree on that and move on? I'm about as socially liberal as they get and I think that woman is terrible. I'm not party over country. I just want sanity and a modicum of fair representation restored. Citizens United is a fucking travesty for our democracy/republic. I wish we could all agree in that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Oh indeed.  We do agree.

Two senior Trump administration officials were once registered as lobbyists for an investment company controlled by a Soviet-born industrialist who made billions doing business with newly sanctioned Russian oligarchs.

Makan Delrahim is now the assistant attorney general for the Antitrust Division in the Department of Justice, after rising from his original appointment as deputy White House counsel and deputy assistant to the president. David Bernhardt is the No. 2 official in Trump’s Department of the Interior. 

Both men registered as lobbyists in 2011 and 2012 for Access Industries, a holding company controlled by billionaire Leonard Blavatnik, according to public filings reviewed by VICE News. And though they are far from the only D.C. lobbyists to get plum jobs in the Trump administration, the connection to Blavatnik, long in business with billionaire associates of Russian President Vladimir Putin, reveals yet another link between Russia and senior Trump officials.

Blavatnik, 60, is a naturalized dual U.S.-U.K. citizen who owns Warner Music Group. He’s also a longtime donor to both political parties. He gave at least $314,800 in the 2014 midterms, with a slim majority going to the Democratic side. But Blavatnik dramatically ramped up his donations to Republican causes prior to the 2016 U.S. election, according to a review of public filings carried out by Ruth May, a professor at the University of Dallas.

The U.K.-based billionaire and his companies gave a minimum of $5.55 million to Republican groups during the 2016 election season, according to May. “Blavatnik’s pattern of political donations changed abruptly starting in the 2015-2016 election cycle,” May told VICE News. “In prior cycles, his campaign donations totaled approximately $300,000, and they were scattered pretty evenly across 30 to 40 candidates in both parties.”

Although he didn’t donate directly to Trump’s campaign, after Trump won, Access Industries gave another $1 million to the Presidential Inaugural Committee. And according to the Wall Street Journal, Blavatnik gave $12,700 in April 2017 to a Republican National Committee fund that was used to help pay for the team of private attorneys representing Trump in the probe of Russian interference in the 2016 election. He’d given the RNC legal fund $100,000 in 2016, the Journal said.

Blavatnik built his fortune in Russia before branding himself as an American-British philanthropist. As an American owner of a U.S.-based company, Blavatnik can legally donate to U.S. political causes. Foreign contributions, however, are forbidden by law

Professor May, who’s been tracking Blavatnik’s political donations since last year, says the billionaire’s donations and business connections to Russia deserve more scrutiny.

“Blavatnik’s ties to members of Putin’s closest inner circle should force us to examine Russia’s ability to influence our elections and our democratic institutions, well beyond Trump and Facebook,” May said. “There are holes in our country’s firewall and they aren’t on the Internet.”

Neither Delharim nor Bernhardt, who registered to lobby for Blavatnik and Access Industries in the past, currently has a job with direct oversight of issues related to the Russian economy or the Russia probe. But Delharim might have been involved when he was in the White House counsel's office, a position he left in September for the DOJ.

35 minutes ago, Pods said:

Trump pardoning Libby for obstruction and perjury sends a pretty clear message to the current crop of folks being questioned by Mueller and Congress. 

Especially since he specifically called out unfair treatment by the special council as the reason...he might as well have winked when he did so

h64B06720

Acosta also fucked that up. Neither one of them is joining Trump's legal team. They are conflicted already by advising Bannon, Priebus and Don McGahn. They cannot advise Trump as well, so Joe diGenova has been advising him through the TV. 

Edited by Pods

56 minutes ago, Pods said:

Trump pardoning Libby for obstruction and perjury sends a pretty clear message to the current crop of folks being questioned by Mueller and Congress. 

'We all know I'm guilty as fuck. We're all in this together. Cover for me and I'll have your back.'

Odds of Mueller indictments dropping over the few weeks just shot up astronmically.

Since January I speculated Mueller would sit on any indictments until he interviewed Trump or exhausted that avenue.  The Mueller interview isn’t going to happen now and I don’t expect Mueller to subpoena Trump to a grand jury just for Trump to fight in the courts for months.

It looks like this was the week designed to rattle Trump enough to get him to shit or get off the pot.

No matter what Trump did this week, the indictments will be rolling out in the near future. And by near future, I mean before June.

There are a lot of aspects of the investigation that are new to us but the FBI has been all over for a year.  

As far as Congress and impeachment, who the fuck knows. 

2F7824F6-6D7F-4C1C-ACCC-88710EB4224C_zps

• Like 1

Something not made entirely clear is that Cohen has filed a TRO against further examination of search warrant materials by the FBI/USAO.  The government's response is here. Cohen-v-US-Govt-Opposition-to-TRO-Reques

It makes it fairly clear that Mueller sees the Cohen investigation as outside his mandate, and possibly the subject of an ongoing investigation in the SDNY.  So, this was not solely the result of the need for a separate review by someone other than the OSC.  The OSC's involvement in the Cohen case appears to be ended.

The Cohen investigation may lead to dirt on Trump.  However, all objective signs indicate that it is independently criminal conduct by Cohen.

Edited by TwiceHorn

The Cohen investigation may lead to dirt on Trump.  However, all objective signs indicate that it is independently criminal conduct by Cohen.

I suggested something similar. But... it shows that Mueller is far enough up Trump’s ass that he even has evidence on illegal shit that trumps personal, and practically exclusive, lawyer is doing. Not just rumors, but enough evidence to get a search warrant.

15 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Something not made entirely clear is that Cohen has filed a TRO against further examination of search warrant materials by the FBI/USAO.  The government's response is here. Cohen-v-US-Govt-Opposition-to-TRO-Reques

It makes it fairly clear that Mueller sees the Cohen investigation as outside his mandate, and possibly the subject of an ongoing investigation in the SDNY.  So, this was not solely the result of the need for a separate review by someone other than the OSC.  The OSC's involvement in the Cohen case appears to be ended.

Re that TRO, U.S. District Judge Kimba Wood ordered Cohen to produce a client list with evidence by Monday

NEW YORK — Lawyers for President Donald Trump and his longtime personal attorney Michael Cohen went to court Friday trying to stop federal prosecutors from getting at private material — but wound up with a judge ordering them to disclose Cohen’s client list in public.

U.S. District Judge Kimba Wood on Friday ordered attorneys for Cohen to hand over a list of Cohen’s law clients and proof of their relationship by 10 a.m. Monday, so she can decide whether materials seized from Cohen’s office by federal law enforcement agents last week should be protected by attorney-client privilege.

That list will be a public record, Wood said, because the identities of an attorney’s clients are not subject to attorney-client privilege unless the mere name itself would reveal the kind of advice sought or given.

Wood’s order raises the possibility of further embarrassing disclosures involving Cohen, who is already at the center of a legal dispute involving adult-film actress Stormy Daniels, who is suing the president to void a nondisclosure agreement negotiated by Cohen concerning a sexual encounter Daniels says she had with Trump in 2006.

popcorn gif

I'm not sure Cohen's TRO suit is going to get anywhere, which wasn't the point of the post.  However, it appears that a central allegation by the government in support of the warrant is that Cohen has few or no clients other than Trump and Trumpco, so there is minimal privileged info in his office.  Will be interesting to see if that's true, and whether the government outkicked its coverage on any of the other allegations in support of the warrant.

While it's all good fun to see how Trump is gonna get got, those of us interested in privacy against government intrusion should be concerned with the Cohen warrant(s) and how this plays out.

Oh, and lawyers, yet another good reason to have engagement letters with your clients.

Edited by TwiceHorn

34 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

But there's nothing we yet know of tying Cohen to a meeting with anyone in particular, right?   We just know Mueller can place Cohen in Prague and that Cohen is lying about that. 

Mueller probably knows everything.  It’s what he can prove that’s the real challenge.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

If Nikulin ends up tying Cohen and Kosachev and reveals collusion, how did Paul Ryan manage to get on the right side of things by helping to perfect (or at least not sabotage) Nikulin's extradition to the US?  Not long after which Ryan announced he won't seek re-election. 

Maybe Ryan decided he wanted to do at least one good thing as speaker, as opposed to zero.

The Russians tried mightily to prevent Mr Nikulins extradition to America and badly wanted him extradited to Russia instead for allegedly stealing about 2k worth of stuff after they found out the Americans wanted him. 

Gee, I wonder what that means? 

Edited by JimmyJames

24 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

If Nikulin ends up tying Cohen and Kosachev and reveals collusion, how did Paul Ryan manage to get on the right side of things by helping to perfect (or at least not sabotage) Nikulin's extradition to the US?  Not long after which Ryan announced he won't seek re-election. 

It’s getting curiouser and curiouser

So from reading about this issue I learned that one of the sites this Nikulin dude hacked was formspring which apparently the great Anthony Weiner used to use to send lewd messages. The Weiners name on that site?

Carlos Danger. 

Classic. That will now be my alternate name on websites from this point forward. 

Edited by JimmyJames

1 hour ago, Mojo Hand said:

But there's nothing we yet know of tying Cohen to a meeting with anyone in particular, right?   We just know Mueller can place Cohen in Prague and that Cohen is lying about that. 

Here’s the pages from the Dossier involving Cohen.  There are several redactions.

97A9B23B-F7E5-4271-B487-7231C663F77F_zps

B4938C15-B490-49F5-BC11-22D281332509_zps

50E1D46A-3320-43E6-90BF-AF414930B7FB_zps

1048B807-0160-418D-A97E-CFA6D16F0F5C_zps

BCC5CDD0-E306-4EFF-B2FE-D38DB36088C8_zps

480A5A3D-6322-4448-B778-9A8A422F5D11_zps

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1