The Robert Mueller Investigation

Hugo Stiglitz

All bottles have been opened, ready for pouring.  I'd hate to have someone wonder whether it's worth breaking the seal on one, when we need to focus on having a good seat to watch the Republic burn to ashes.
And again, y'all think I'm kidding.  I'm not.  The Republic survives.  Until it doesn't.
I'm in.

How far of a drive are you from Oklahoma?

29 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

All bottles have been opened, ready for pouring.  I'd hate to have someone wonder whether it's worth breaking the seal on one, when we need to focus on having a good seat to watch the Republic burn to ashes.

And again, y'all think I'm kidding.  I'm not.  The Republic survives.  Until it doesn't.

PM me your address; I'll be down ASAP on the day of reckoning. 

9 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I don't think that Mueller is in the business of doing Cohen any favors.

I agree with pods. Mueller has kept his shit on lock.  It is likely McClatchy's sources are not actually from Muellers team, and may be providing erroneous information.  That the report is not being confirmed by any other outlets should be cause for pause imo. 

I’m also curious about no other outlets confirming this story. McClatchy’s story said Mueller’s team had evidence of Cohen in Prague, but I don’t believe it said how strong of evidence or if Mueller’s team believed it to be true. Mueller’s team has likely conducted thousands of hours of interviews and received mountains of files — all technically evidence, but not all equally factual  

IF Cohen was never in Prague Mueller’s team could still have erroneous reports of it making McClatchys story correct. 

What I know for sure is that Mueller 100% knows where Cohen was during that time. In 2018 knowing what continent someone is on has to be the easiest thing in the world to discover. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hornmatic said:

I’m also curious about no other outlets confirming this story. McClatchy’s story said Mueller’s team had evidence of Cohen in Prague, but I don’t believe it said how strong of evidence or if Mueller’s team believed it to be true. Mueller’s team has likely conducted thousands of hours of interviews and received mountains of files — all technically evidence, but not all equally factual  

IF Cohen was never in Prague Mueller’s team could still have erroneous reports of it making McClatchys story correct. 

What I know for sure is that Mueller 100% knows where Cohen was during that time. In 2018 knowing what continent someone is on has to be the easiest thing in the world to discover. 

agree with all of this. 

37 minutes ago, Hornmatic said:

He was either in Prague, or somewhere that would be somehow worse legally and politically for Trump than if he had been in Prague. We know this, because he hasn't told the world where he was then. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

McConnell is going to have a special fucking place in the history books.  He's a flat-out evil motherfucker who has betrayed his country in the name of transitory political power.  When he is dead and buried, I may make a special trip just to piss on his grave.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Mueller can get information out without leaking through cooperating witnesses and/or their attorneys, pending approval.

For example, McClatchy’s sources could be one or more of the following witnesses and/or their attorneys:

Rick Gates

Felix Sater

Misha Flynn

George Papadopoulos 

When is Mueller gonna hire you?  I'm only half joking...pretty sure you'd ace any interview considering you for the A team.  I, for one, actually enjoy your work.  I'm sure the rubes get more than a little frustrated seeing your posts. 

5 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

When is Mueller gonna hire you?  I'm only half joking...pretty sure you'd ace any interview considering you for the A team.  I, for one, actually enjoy your work.  I'm sure the rubes get more than a little frustrated seeing your posts. 

i logged in just to second this motion.

On 4/16/2018 at 9:56 PM, Anastasis said:

So back to the Prague Cohen thing for a moment, has that gained any traction or confirmation by any other news agencies beside McClatchy Report?  Cause that's kind of a big deal that doesn't appear to be getting confirmation by additional sources. 

15 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

McClatchy has been reliable on their information thus far and has broken some serious bombshells no one else can confirm. 

The way I read this:  Mueller could be using low profile McClatchy exclusively as an outlet for limited information they want to get out to the public without formally disclosing anything about the investigation.  

In this case, they are actually doing Michael Cohen a favor by saying, "Hey, we know you were in Prague so the more you lie about it, the worse it's going to go for you."

8 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

McClatchy is typically very solid, and Cohen hasn't put forth an actual alibi ("here's a picture of the front of my passport" doesn't count), so I see no reason to doubt their story. 

8 hours ago, triplehorn said:

European source would be my guess, though there are other explanations as cited above.  The article's author was on msnbc last night and reported that they worked on this story for several months.  They had two different sources and felt very confident that the reporting on Michael Cohen being in Prague during the relevant time is accurate.

What is conspicuous is Michael Cohen's inability to prove his whereabouts for the entire couple week window.  Tweeting a passport pic and going on Hannity with said passport in tow is a ruse.

7 hours ago, Dertyberd said:

The thing that blows my mind and brings the lulz is showing off his passport like that matters.  The Czech Republic is in the fucking EU travel zone.  Fly into Warsaw, Paris, Madrid, etc...and hope on a plane to Prague.  You don't get another stamp once you are inside the EU. "No Prague stamp, I believe him."  

7 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

Plus he didn't even show any stamp pages — just the cover.  He might as well have a big fat Czech stamp inside, for all he's shown. 

https://www.buzzfeed.com/anthonycormier/trumps-lawyer-showed-you-the-cover-of-his-passport-heres?utm_term=.hgwpQ5JEwK#.esNWgVXAoB

I honestly do not know if buzzfeed is a conservative lean or not.  But Cohen, apparently, did give them his passport.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/01/michael-cohen-it-is-fake-news-meant-to-malign-mr-trump/512762/

I honestly do not know if the Atlantic is a conservative lean or not.  But he says he was at USC and the USC coaches verified it.

This is so typical of this whole saga.  There will, of course, be phone records of Cohen's whereabouts everyday during the supposed time he was in Prague.  Just another example of you guys swallowing news without even thinking.

From most accounts, Cohen is probably a scumbag.  This is not about Cohen.  It is about the 1000th or so time that you guys take unsourced/anonymous claims as gospel.  

I will happily wager whatever any of you want on whether or not it is proved that Cohen was in Prague.  I will take the side that he wasn't.  

8 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/anthonycormier/trumps-lawyer-showed-you-the-cover-of-his-passport-heres?utm_term=.hgwpQ5JEwK#.esNWgVXAoB

I honestly do not know if buzzfeed is a conservative lean or not.  But Cohen, apparently, did give them his passport.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/01/michael-cohen-it-is-fake-news-meant-to-malign-mr-trump/512762/

I honestly do not know if the Atlantic is a conservative lean or not.  But he says he was at USC and the USC coaches verified it.

This is so typical of this whole saga.  There will, of course, be phone records of Cohen's whereabouts everyday during the supposed time he was in Prague.  Just another example of you guys swallowing news without even thinking.

From most accounts, Cohen is probably a scumbag.  This is not about Cohen.  It is about the 1000th or so time that you guys take unsourced/anonymous claims as gospel.  

I will happily wager whatever any of you want on whether or not it is proved that Cohen was in Prague.  I will take the side that he wasn't.  

So you posted two articles from almost a year ago for your confirmation.   I'll wager I never post here again if it is proven that Cohen never in fact went to Prague.   If he did, you can shuuuuuutttt the fuck up here forever.  

7 hours ago, sheeeit said:

When you say "you guys", are you talking about shaggy surly in general?  or just the "left"?  if the latter, blank, swam, smokey, etc., would like to have a word with you.

7 hours ago, TDunk said:

So you posted two articles from almost a year ago for your confirmation.   I'll wager I never post here again if it is proven that Cohen never in fact went to Prague.   If he did, you can shuuuuuutttt the fuck up here forever.  

Lulz.  Yes, it does seem crazy that Cohen would put this stuff out there at the time the actual accusation first came out.  

I am happy to make the bet, but not just with you.  I have never heard of you.  I will happily make it with Mojo, Pods, Hugo, Triple, wildcat09, derty etc.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

Lulz.  Yes, it does seem crazy that Cohen would put this stuff out there at the time the actual accusation first came out.  

I am happy to make the bet, but not just with you.  I have never heard of you.  I will happily make it with Mojo, Pods, Hugo, Triple, wildcat09, derty etc.

whats the difference who makes the bet with you?  You seem so confident in your assumptions.

giphy.gif

Paul Manafort had three passports precisely to keep certain stamps off his main one.   I mean, ok on the one Cohen showed to Buzzfeed, which I hadn't seen, but it doesn't mean a hell of a lot in itself.  And his tweet of a passport cover means even less.   His USC alibi is just for the last week in August, so I don't know why that would clear him. 

Message board bets are dumb.  A report from a major news organization warrants discussion. That doesn't mean there's no chance they got it wrong.  But that is the acknowledged premise of the discussion — if they're right, here are the implications.   Nobody here is suggesting that Cohen's presence in Prague has been proven publicly yet. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Paul Manafort had three passports precisely to keep certain stamps off his main one.   I mean, ok on the one Cohen showed to Buzzfeed, which I hadn't seen, but it doesn't mean a hell of a lot in itself.  And his tweet of a passport cover means even less.   His USC alibi is just for the last week in August, so I don't know why that would clear him. 

Message board bets are dumb.  A report from a major news organization warrants discussion. That doesn't mean there's no chance they got it wrong.  But that is the acknowledged premise of the discussion — if they're right, here are the implications.   Nobody here is suggesting that Cohen's presence in Prague has been proven publicly yet. 

Stop being so fucking reasonable.

2 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Who were you on the old site so I know how hard to root against you 

my hope is when you get the urge to root you don't even know where i am.

edit:  the old site had/has a thread where people listed new names.

Edited by yaqdum

I am certain he does.  It is very hard to hide your location anymore.

This is patently untrue.

Any person with even the slightest inkling of technology can hide their location easily, with very little difficulty

Especially easy if one we're meeting with actual intelligence agents

27 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Of course he could have an additional passport.  And the state dept would know because they issue them and, as a result, Mueller would know.  I am not sure I agree that showing his passport doesn't prove much, but you guys were the ones making claims that he hadn't done anything.  I do not know if I would consider McClatchy a "major news organization" but that is unimportant.  I think Cohen is likely a sleazy guy but I do not think he is abjectly stupid.  He has come out very, very strongly that he was never even in Prague.  In 2018, if a person is under investigation by the FBI it is virtually impossible to conceal their whereabouts.  Cohen knows that if he was, in fact, in Prague that it would be easily found out by investigators.

You guys are so blind in your hope to get Trump on something that you suspend all objectivity and reason.  You say a story like this warrants discussion and I agree.  20 people discuss it based on the assumption that it is true.  1 person discusses it on the assumption that it is not true and that person is labelled a troll, trumpkin etc.  When challenged, you guys admit that it has not been proven public yet.  So you say you want discussion but any discussion that it might not be true is met with childish, unhinged retorts.  

I agree that message board bets are dumb.  But not as dumb as people labeling someone a troll for posting their opinion on the topic at hand and backing up that opinion with some evidence to support their opinion.  That is basically the opposite of trolling.  That is actually having a discussion versus a circle jerk.

You guys abuse the aggies of stuff like this and yet you are just as bad. 

News agency says Mueller has proof that Cohen was in Prague based on anonymous sources.  You guys dance gleefully and speculate all of the ways that Cohen will flip and that trump will go down.  I point out that Cohen did, in fact, share his passport with a news agency.  He was in fact in LA when he said he was.  He said he was in NYC everyday in September.  Presumably he was seen by people.  I am sure he gets many texts and calls everyday like all of us which would be very easy for an investigator to check.  I suggest that maybe the article is bullshit.  Your response is like aggies.  Burn the troll!!!

• Fuck You 1

https://www.nationalreview.com/the-morning-jolt/putting-hannitys-michael-cohen-problem-in-perspective/

Whatever Happened to that Cohen-in-Prague Story?

Speaking of Michael Cohen, Friday the McClatchy news service reported what seemed to be a mega-bombshell in the Russia investigation: “The Justice Department special counsel has evidence that Donald Trump’s personal lawyer and confidant, Michael Cohen, secretly made a late-summer trip to Prague during the 2016 presidential campaign, according to two sources familiar with the matter.”

Outside of the Russian hooker claims, one of the Christopher Steele dossier’s most shocking claims was that Cohen had met with Konstantin Kosachev, an ally of Russian president Vladimir Putin in Prague in August 2016. The alleged secret meeting, right out of a spy novel, would be the strongest evidence that the Russian government didn’t merely try to influence the U.S. presidential election but that it was doing so with close communication, if not cooperation, with those closest to Trump. But Cohen dismissed it as nonsense and tweeted out an image of his passport. He’s denied the Prague trip all along, including under oath to the House Intelligence Committee; if Cohen lied, he would likely face perjury charges.

It’s Tuesday morning, and no other news organization has confirmed the McClatchy report. This is a bit surprising and unusual, as there’s no shortage of reporters sniffing around Mueller’s investigation and the Russia story.

The McClatchy story states, “it’s unclear whether Mueller’s investigators also have evidence that Cohen actually met with a prominent Russian — purportedly Konstantin Kosachev, an ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin — in the Czech capital.” This is some unusual wording that suggests the two “sources familiar with the matter” are not within Muller’s investigative team. In fact, the McClatchy article spends a lot of time detailing what their sources either didn’t know or wouldn’t say: “The sources did not say whether Cohen took a commercial flight or private jet to Europe, and gave no explanation as to why no record of such a trip has surfaced.” (If he took a commercial flight, the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol keeps records of entry and exiting the country for five years. It would be extremely easy for Mueller’s investigation to figure out when Cohen left the country and returned.)

Robert Mueller’s investigation began in May 2017, so it’s been going on for about a year. The whereabouts of Cohen in August of 2016 would be one of the first things to investigate, and among the easier things

Over at the Daily Caller, Chuck Ross and Peter Hasson lay out the reasons for skepticism. Benjamin Wittes, senior fellow at Brookings and well-connected guru on Russiagate, finds himself doubting it.

Michael Cohen's Own Attorney Isn't Swearing to his Story Regarding Steele Dossier:

Even Michael Cohen‘s own attorney isn’t swearing to his client’s claims regarding the accuracy of the Steele dossier as it relates to Michael Cohen.

Cohen’s motion to show cause filed April 13 with the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York (“SDNY”) contains the following paragraph on page seven:

This arduous journey began for Mr. Cohen over 16 months ago with the publication of his name in the so-called Steele dossier. The references to Mr. Cohen in the Steele dossier are false and have been completely debunked. Nevertheless, because of those false allegations, Mr. Cohen has had to spend the last 16 months defending himself in front of numerous government investigatory agencies.

The motion was essentially Cohen’s argument for why he and his attorneys should get the first crack at determining which materials recently seized from his offices are protected by the attorney-client privilege–or, in the alternative, that anyone other than government prosecutors should take charge of making those determinations.

The quoted paragraph above appears in the motion’s “Statement of Fact” section. Typical practice holds that each assertion made in the “Statement of Fact” section contains a cited reference to a sentence or paragraph in the corresponding declaration section of the motion–which is almost always filed simultaneously. That is, each and every valid assertion made in a “Statement of Fact” section should be backed up by an attested assertion in an attorney’s signed declaration.

A signed declaration is a sworn affidavit containing assertions that attorneys sign off on. Such affidavits are official documents filed with courts and tend to show the extent of what an attorney is actually willing to argue on behalf of their client.

What’s weird is that while the rest of the Statement of Fact section cites attorney Todd Harrison‘s sworn declaration (as do other sections of the motion), this part does not.

For example, here’s the Cohen-Harrison paragraph in the “Statement of Fact” section immediately preceding the un-sourced paragraph regarding the Steele dossier:

On November 8, 2016, Mr. Trump was elected President of the United States. Id. ¶ 9. Mr. Cohen resigned from the Trump Organization on January 20, 2017. Id. ¶ 10. Following Mr. Cohen’s resignation from the Trump Organization, President Trump allowed Mr. Cohen to continue using the title, “Personal Attorney to President Donald J. Trump,” in his email signature block. Id. ¶ 10. Mr. Cohen has served as Mr. Trump’s personal legal counsel from at least 2006 to the present. Id. ¶ 11.

Notice that the end of each sentence contains a paragraph symbol (¶) and numerical value. This signals to the court that the assertions made in the “Statement of Fact” section are actually supported. Most of the rest of the assertions made in the Cohen-Harrison “Statement of Fact” section contain cited references to Harrison’s declaration. The Steele dossier paragraph is the only paragraph in the “Statement of Fact” section which does not contain a single reference to Harrison’s sworn affidavit.

In fact, one look at the declaration signed by Harrison shows that he doesn’t make any declarations about the Steele dossier at all.

Therefore, as national security journalist Marcy Wheeler noted:

Cohen would like Judge Kimba Wood to believe that the dossier has been debunked. But his lawyer is unwilling to stake his own legal reputation on the claim.

17 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

(If he took a commercial flight, the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol keeps records of entry and exiting the country for five years. It would be extremely easy for Mueller’s investigation to figure out when Cohen left the country and returned.)

Robert Mueller’s investigation began in May 2017, so it’s been going on for about a year. The whereabouts of Cohen in August of 2016 would be one of the first things to investigate, and among the easier things

I agree with all of this.  At minimum, Mueller knows definitely whether or not Cohen was in Europe during this time frame.  But I don't think we can read much into not having that info publicly yet.  If he took a commercial flight, we'd need a leak from customs, but then again customs could also leak that he didn't take a commercial flight, so no leak doesn't say anything either way.  And if he took a private flight or Russian submarine, confirmation would be even harder to come by. 

WeightyThinChimpanzee-max-1mb.gif

On 4/16/2018 at 4:04 PM, Pods said:

Just heard on radio, Trump is stalling sanctions against Russia. He's not comfortable with the severity of the sanctions and is pissed that we kicked out more diplomats than France and Germany did. 

I'm glad he's keeping an eye on our real enemies.

On 4/16/2018 at 4:42 PM, Brisketexan said:

Oh, and if we hadn't already cemented it in place, "Stupid Watergate" really is perfect for this band of clowns.  This is absolutely hysterical.  A blindfolded man in a dildo factory couldn't trip over dicks at the rate these guys have achieved.

On 4/16/2018 at 7:18 PM, Ten Bears said:

Why not just Stupidgate?

Waterpate

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

he could have officially been anywhere in europe and easily made a side trip to prague, paying cash for a train. once in the eurozone, you're IN the eurozone. i don't get passport stamped going from amsterdam to cologne.

Regardless, to get a warrant SDNY has evidence Cohen committed a crime. They already have his emails through alternate sources apart from the raid on his office. He will be indicted/charged soon enough 

5 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Regardless, to get a warrant SDNY has evidence Cohen committed a crime. They already have his emails through alternate sources apart from the raid on his office. He will be indicted/charged soon enough 

I can't wait to find out everything he's done for Donald Trump.

39 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

I agree with all of this.  At minimum, Mueller knows definitely whether or not Cohen was in Europe during this time frame.  But I don't think we can read much into not having that info publicly yet.  If he took a commercial flight, we'd need a leak from customs, but then again customs could also leak that he didn't take a commercial flight, so no leak doesn't say anything either way.  And if he took a private flight or Russian submarine, confirmation would be even harder to come by. 

WeightyThinChimpanzee-max-1mb.gif

had it benefited the current president or staff, it would've leaked long ago from customs because they would have Nunesed it out. 

Edited by Mdhorn

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

Perfect.  Lawyer files motion in District Court that the allegations against Cohen in the Steele dossier are false.  See that means it really is true.

Lawyer says that the references to Cohen in the dossier are false.  Twitter person gets reposted by saying "lawyer says entire dossier is debunked".  

2 hours ago, SKJ said:

This is patently untrue.

Any person with even the slightest inkling of technology can hide their location easily, with very little difficulty

It depends on how much access investigators have.  While someone could very easily leave their phone and credit cards at home, it is much more difficult to hide your presence from every security camera along the way.  So if he was in Prague, you can find him if you are able to access the right info.

He had to enter the EU somewhere.  Even if he used a fake passport, that entry is recorded.  Once you establish he's in Europe, he has to get from his point of entry to Prague. This is either going to put him in an airport with cameras everywhere, at a car rental agency which also will have cameras everywhere, or at a train or bus depot.  And then, he's eating/drinking at private businesses along the way with security cameras as well.

Even actual intelligence agents that have access to fake identities can be tracked with hindsight.  

9 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

Perfect.  Lawyer files motion in District Court that the allegations against Cohen in the Steele dossier are false.  See that means it really is true.

Lawyer says that the references to Cohen in the dossier are false.  Twitter person gets reposted by saying "lawyer says entire dossier is debunked".  

I realize you're nothing but a low level troll, but it would really be nice if you could actually try to contribute something now and again.  M'kay?

2 hours ago, SKJ said:

This is patently untrue.

Lulz.  Really? From the NSA?  They can re-route international cell towers?  You guys realize that Mueller can get about any info he wants.  NSA, Nat Sec, Customs, IRS, phone companies, aviation records, hotel records, credit card records, bank records, etc.  They can interview Cohen's receptionist, secretary, co workers, friends that may have texted or called him, neighbors, virtually anyone except, I assume his wife and kids.  If Cohen disappeared for a few days and went all the way to prague, there is a record.

53 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

He had to enter the EU somewhere.  Even if he used a fake passport, that entry is recorded.  Once you establish he's in Europe, he has to get from his point of entry to Prague.  

According to the McClatchy report he entered through Germany. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I realize you're nothing but a low level troll, but it would really be nice if you could actually try to contribute something now and again.  M'kay?

Or you could just put him on ignore.  It's why we have it.

10 minutes ago, deech said:

Or you could just put him on ignore.  It's why we have it.

Yep, he remains one of the most successful trolls on shag/surly. The only people that should be interacting with sheeeit at this point are posters who are trolling him in reverse.  

2 minutes ago, Pods said:

Yep, he remains one of the most successful trolls on shag/surly. The only people that should be interacting with sheeeit at this point are posters who are trolling him in reverse.  

No one should be trolling him in reverse.  All it does is cluster up any semblance of a rational discussions of a topic.

• Like 1