The Biden Cabinet

Bullneck

13 hours ago, swraith said:

Uh, to whom are you referring? Only announcement we have seen so far is Chief of Staff.  

It's a stupid take. 

These are fucking transition officials reviewing agency details - most of them in their area of expertise (yes, progressives are bitching about some of them being lobbyists, but they are getting experts in that office/field to review the agency.  They may get jobs in the executive branch eventually, but no one knows shit about who Biden wants in the Cabinet - just wait a couple weeks, he will probably name the really important ones by Thanksgiving considering the crisis we are in (Treasury, HHS and DoJ) 

Agency review teams are responsible for understanding the operations of each agency, ensuring a smooth transfer of power, and preparing for President-elect Biden and Vice President-elect Harris and their cabinet to hit the ground running on Day One. These teams are composed of highly experienced and talented professionals with deep backgrounds in crucial policy areas across the federal government.

Biden’s Education Department Will Move Fast to Reverse Betsy DeVos’s Policies

The incoming first lady, Jill Biden, is a community college professor and member of the National Education Association, the nation’s largest teachers’ union. The Biden administration has promised to drastically increase resources for public schools, expand its civil rights advocacy for marginalized students and reassert the department’s leadership in policymaking.

Stef Feldman, the Biden campaign’s policy director, told reporters last month that the administration was “confident” Mr. Biden would “be able to get some big, bold education legislation passed and certainly immediate relief for our schools and our educators, but that doesn’t mean that we’re not also going to take executive action within existing authority.”

I feel like (hope?) that education will be one of the areas that Biden will be able to implement some quick fixes. Wiping out student debt right now would really help a lot of people out during this pandemic. They'd immediately put that money right back into the economy.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

surly progressive logic:

-hg trashes trump/gop 800x in 2 weeks 

-hg makes a joke about progressives because progressive twitter is a beating

“keep punching left, henry.”

lighten up, francis. 

I've seen you trash progressive thought pretty consistently, but sure you were just kidding and none of us get your inside humor. 

You assured us all how progressive Biden's campaign was, but if someone points out the ridiculousness of that thought, you resort to .gifs (cue an arrested development reply)  and snide condescension.  Whatever you follow that's a beating is most likely just truths you're uncomfortable with accepting, I imagine.

but yeah, sorry, I'll lighten up. 

2 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I've seen you trash progressive thought pretty consistently, but sure you were just kidding and none of us get your inside humor. 

when?  where?  i support many progressive policies, but i trash lame progressive tweets whenever possible because they're one-trick ponies fixated on stirring up the same shit over and over.  clickbait is clickbait no matter where it's coming from.  that tweet was disingenuous and typical, and relies on laziness to spread its intended message.

4 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

You assured us all how progressive Biden's campaign was, but if someone points out the ridiculousness of that thought, you resort to .gifs (cue an arrested development reply)  and snide condescension. 

again, when?  when did i do this?  biden was never my first choice, and i was never confused about who he was.  i'm encouraged by any leftward steps he takes, but not overly optimistic that he's anything more than a transitional candidate.  i've been pretty consistent about this.  i love arrested development (though don't often use their gifs) but i seriously think you might have me confused with someone else.

6 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Whatever you follow that's a beating is most likely just truths you're uncomfortable with accepting, I imagine.

i'm not on twitter, i just see links here.  and that one i quoted was everything i expected it would be.  it was written to elicit the reactions it got (i went to go check some out).  but it also got several people pointing out how misleading it was.  of course it was.  it was supposed to be.  it was written to be.

anytime you've seen me punching left is likely just me and badteammate sparring, and honestly we haven't done much of that in months.  there are plenty of people who shit on progressives and accuse them of wanting trump to win, causing the world to burn, and (hopefully) start over in a better place.  i don't subscribe to that.

11 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

but yeah, sorry, I'll lighten up. 

if i get into a policy argument or take a strong position, have at it.  but this, clearly, is not that.

18 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Thanks Ro

someone will have to educate me better on the procedure, and how "acting" works vs "non-senate confirmed".

my understanding is that if put to a vote, and not confirmed, that person could not serve as that role, even as "acting".  i also think making someone "acting" after not getting confirmed is a bad look, but none of that shit matters anymore.  if mcconnell is insistent on not even bringing it to a vote, out of fear that it would "divide" republicans (meaning enough would vote for liz/bernie to confirm), then i say nominate who you want, wait for mitch to say "no", then make them "acting".

then the story is "we're trying to do the business of the american people, and the gop senate is more interested in playing games, so we're moving forward without them."

i think biden is perfectly capable of reaching across the aisle and getting the votes he needs for the people he wants, but if it never makes it to a vote, then all bets are off.

17 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

someone will have to educate me better on the procedure, and how "acting" works vs "non-senate confirmed".

my understanding is that if put to a vote, and not confirmed, that person could not serve as that role, even as "acting".  i also think making someone "acting" after not getting confirmed is a bad look, but none of that shit matters anymore.  if mcconnell is insistent on not even bringing it to a vote, out of fear that it would "divide" republicans (meaning enough would vote for liz/bernie to confirm), then i say nominate who you want, wait for mitch to say "no", then make them "acting".

then the story is "we're trying to do the business of the american people, and the gop senate is more interested in playing games, so we're moving forward without them."

i think biden is perfectly capable of reaching across the aisle and getting the votes he needs for the people he wants, but if it never makes it to a vote, then all bets are off.

The Vacancies Act covers it.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Vacancies_Reform_Act_of_1998

The fundamental thing is that an acting anything cannot be acting for more than 210 days and cannot be replaced with another acting whatever.

4 hours ago, 406W30th said:

Biden’s Education Department Will Move Fast to Reverse Betsy DeVos’s Policies

I feel like (hope?) that education will be one of the areas that Biden will be able to implement some quick fixes. Wiping out student debt right now would really help a lot of people out during this pandemic. They'd immediately put that money right back into the economy.

I don't see McConnell approving student debt relief in the next 2 years.  I'm assuming POTUS can't do this this unilateral.

I don't see McConnell approving student debt relief in the next 2 years.  I'm assuming POTUS can't do this this unilateral.

Schumer came out and said Biden has the authority to wipe out the first $50K of student debt by EO.

How accurate is that? No idea.

And I fully expect Republican state AGs to sue over it.

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

So correct me if I'm wrong, but Obama didn't "separate families".  They held kids that came across the border on their own.  Is that not correct?

I think the key differentiator there is how many border-crossers were referred for criminal prosecution.  Ordinary deportation/removal is a civil matter and all "illegal immigrants" are subject to that.

Until Trump/Miller, only repeat border-crossers were subject to criminal prosecution (the second attempt and thereafter).  Trump/Miller changed policy to prosecute all of them. 

When the adults are prosecuted, they are detained in jails, where children can't go, thus separation.  If they're just subject to deportation/removal, they may be detained, but in special facilities where families are generally intact.

So the separation policy is a byproduct of the decision to criminally prosecute.  Obama didn't prosecute as many of them, and the ones subject to prosecution (repeat offenders) were less likely to come with families that required separation.

21 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think the key differentiator there is how many border-crossers were referred for criminal prosecution.  Ordinary deportation/removal is a civil matter and all "illegal immigrants" are subject to that.

Until Trump/Miller, only repeat border-crossers were subject to criminal prosecution (the second attempt and thereafter).  Trump/Miller changed policy to prosecute all of them. 

When the adults are prosecuted, they are detained in jails, where children can't go, thus separation.  If they're just subject to deportation/removal, they may be detained, but in special facilities where families are generally intact.

So the separation policy is a byproduct of the decision to criminally prosecute.  Obama didn't prosecute as many of them, and the ones subject to prosecution (repeat offenders) were less likely to come with families that required separation.

It’s this 100% I remember there being a massive increase in families from Central America trying to illegally cross the border at some point as well which would exaggerate the numbers as well, but not sure if the timing of that was aligned.

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

If Biden is still stuck with the Obama idea of including a Republican, can he make some kind of Cabinet of Presidential Fitness? And appoint Tommy Tuberville?

Stick him in Ainsley Hayes’s old office in the Steam Pipe Trunk Distribution Venue and let him rot.

Tubs for Transportation. Dude knows how to get out somewhere in a hurry. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Fun stuff.  Ajit Pai's term on the FCC expires in June.  There's another R and a D whose terms have expired, but dumbfuck Donald hasn't appointed anyone new.  So Biden can reshape the FCC.

Yes please. Someone who is more intelligent than me....remind me of the regulation that was repealed by the Reagan administration requiring equal air time for political commentary (I know I'm doing a terrible job describing this). Definitely need the FCC to bring that back yesterday. Obligatory fuck the Uncle Tom known as Ajit Pai. 

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

If Biden is still stuck with the Obama idea of including a Republican, can he make some kind of Cabinet of Presidential Fitness? And appoint Tommy Tuberville?

Stick him in Ainsley Hayes’s old office in the Steam Pipe Trunk Distribution Venue and let him rot.

Would not be a wise thing to do. If you put a gun to my head and ask me to appoint a Republitard, I would say Mitt Romney, and then proceed to shower many times....about tree-fiddy. 

5 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Yes please. Someone who is more intelligent than me....remind me of the regulation that was repealed by the Reagan administration requiring equal air time for political commentary (I know I'm doing a terrible job describing this). Definitely need the FCC to bring that back yesterday. Obligatory fuck the Uncle Tom known as Ajit Pai. 

Would not be a wise thing to do. If you put a gun to my head and ask me to appoint a Republitard, I would say Mitt Romney, and then proceed to shower many times....about tree-fiddy. 

Fairness Doctrine.

But also net neutrality. 

And some things relating to broadcast license consolidation.

Only three of five FCC commissioners can be of one party, so Biden can only appoint one Democrat.  But party affiliation for these types is fairly meaningless, it's more personal philosophy.

On 11/13/2020 at 9:04 AM, closetohumping said:

So this should appease the right?

So, Biden is governing from the middle, with an emphasis on pro-war?  Make the left crazy? It kind of makes sense that Joe is not gonna want to give up any senate seats.  Even if the governor in x state is a dem., the new senator would be a rookie in the senate, and with GA going at least half republican, that would not be good.  Maybe forget all three:  Sanders, Klobuchar, and Warren? 

The left is gonna have a cow, especially if/when Joe actually appoints a republican.  

Some non-Cabinet staffing being announced today, mostly former campaign officials: 

• Anthony Bernal, sr. adviser to FLOTUS (campaign and SLOTUS vet) 
  • Mike Donilon, sr. adviser to POTUS (campaign chief strategies)
  • Jen O'Malley Dillon, deputy Chief of Staff (Biden campaign manager)
  • Dana Remus, counsel to Biden (campaign general counsel)
  • Julissa Reynoso Pantaleon, Jill Biden Chief of Staff (former Ambassador to Uruguay)
  • Steve Richetti, counselor to POTUS (campaign chairman and former VP COS for Biden)
  • Cedric Richmond, sr adviser Director of Public Engagement (Biden campaign co-chair and current Congressman from Louisiana)
  • Julie Rodriguez, WH Intergovernmental affairs (deputy campaign manager and former Deputy Director of Public Engagement; Kamala Harris Senate state director and presidential campaign co-national political director)
  • Annie Tomasini, director of Oval Office ops (traveling chief of staff for the Biden campaign and longtime press roles for Biden)

I mean, let's be real:

• No Biden family members
  • Minority men and women

Already a huge success. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

So, the progressive course of action would be to shut out the former chair of the Congressional Black Caucus? (Cedric Richmond)

And to clarify, he is going to lead the White House Office of Public Engagement.  It's not specific "serving as a liaison between the business community and climate activists."  

Edited by Tuco
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

So sad to read all the fantasies of Trump going to get his punishment, lol.  Holy shit, its almost as if Joe Biden is who he says he is.

That's fine if Biden himself doesn't want to be seen as caring only about giving the dotard his come-uppance, but his DOJ DAMN SURE BETTER.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Tuco said:

So, the progressive course of action would be to shut out the former chair of the Congressional Black Caucus? (Cedric Richmond)

Oh right, melanin content is  a signifier of morality.  Sorry, I forgot.

“If Joe Biden continues making corporate-friendly appointments to his White House, he will risk quickly fracturing the hard-earned goodwill his team built with progressives to defeat Donald Trump,” Justice Democrats executive director Alexandra Rojas said in a statement.

Richmond, who’s been an ally of oil and gas companies, also drew criticism from an environmental group who said he took donations from the fossil fuel industry.

Sunrise Movement co-founder and Executive Director Varshini Prakash said that “today feels like a betrayal.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-11-16/cedric-richmond-to-leave-congress-join-biden-white-house

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

That's fine if Biden himself doesn't want to be seen as caring only about giving the dotard his come-uppance, but his DOJ DAMN SURE BETTER.

Biden said the right thing.

It is not up to him what the DOJ does or does not pursue.  Remember, the DOJ is supposed to be an independent agency; just because Trump treated it like his own personal law firm does not mean Biden should.

Whoever is AG will make those decisions.

• Hook 'Em 2