The Biden Cabinet

Bullneck

3 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Nah.  He is of middling intelligence.  Very average.  Not stupid.  But decidedly not smart.

He very often exercised good political judgment, however.  He exercised a lot better political judgment than his successor has ever exhibited.  And I guaran-goddamn-tee you that Abbott is a lot smarter by any metric of pure intelligence.

His IQ might be very nearly the mode but it's below the mean and the median.

This is surprisingly good news compared to what I expected. 

Gensler was one of the only Obama officials who actually wanted to drop the hammer on Wall Street and got kicked out of the club during Obama's second term for it. He's tight with Warren. Difficult to read too much into it, but it gives credence to the reported differences between Biden and Obama on economics and the issue of whether to trust data-centric credentialed Wall St ghouls. Allegedly Biden had a more populist, "kid from Scranton who grew up on the wrong side of the tracks" antagonistic attitude towards the slick Ivy League eggheads who Obama, with a more cosmopolitan worldview, was seduced by.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Llogg said:

His IQ might be very nearly the mode but it's below the mean and the median.

You think Gov. Abbott's intelligence quotient is below that of the median person?  I'm sure you don't like him, and I'm no longer a supporter of his, but that's a ridiculous assertion.  

Got it.  It was difficult to surmise to whom the pronoun in your quote reply applied.  

Perry is the reason I had to change my username on this site from Cruiser to Lobo.  True, long, and very boring story.  

That's fine. I'm not saying she should be given ANY cabinet position, but it's pretty telling to me that centrists are like, "She's pretty but stupid" and the lib responses is either silence or agreement.

The next response after Gil Bang saying she was only marginally smarter than Gov Good hair said that she was 50x smarter than Perry but keep fucking that chicken.

Edit: fuck you tapatalk sig!

17 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Save Biden's ass in Arizona. Make demands.

Natives showing how you go hard in the paint when you have leverage. Maybe we should put them in charge of the DNC instead of the current chumps

tip hat thank you GIF by Captain Obvious

That's right.

This is what Elizabeth Warren and her supporters fail to appreciate.  She was helpful during the general election.  But let's not forget how she ended the primary.  She could've exited right after South Carolina like Buttigieg and Klobuchar and quickly endorsed Biden.  Instead, she stayed in until long after it was clear that Biden was going to win, depriving herself of any leverage she may have had.

Now she's banking on gratitude instead of leverage.  But there are a lot of other folks to whom to be grateful.  And in the end, that gratitude can be repaid more effectively through legislative support than through a cabinet position.

13 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

She could've exited right after South Carolina like Buttigieg and Klobuchar and quickly endorsed Biden.  Instead, she stayed in until long after it was clear that Biden was going to win, depriving herself of any leverage she may have had.

Warren finished ahead of Biden in Iowa and NH and she dropped out right after Super Tuesday.  She stayed in long enough to castrate Bloomberg on live television which was to Biden’s advantage. 

It’s not like Warren hung around in the primary like Bernie and she didn’t play mercenary like Pete and Amy who were really playing for points all along.  

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Pete won more states than Warren did despite dropping out 13 states before her. When Pete dropped out he had more delegates than Warren.

Which proves my point.  Pete would never have dropped out if he was serious about winning.  He never had a path beyond the two early states. 

7 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
9 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:
Which proves my point.  Pete would never have dropped out if he was serious about winning.  He never had a path beyond the two early states. 

Neither did Warren

You’re just trolling. Warren was the only candidate to ever overtake Biden in national polling. Pete could barely crack double digits nationally. 

Correction: Bernie also surpassed Biden at one point in time.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

13 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Warren finished ahead of Biden in Iowa and NH and she dropped out right after Super Tuesday.  She stayed in long enough to castrate Bloomberg on live television which was to Biden’s advantage. 

It’s not like Warren hung around in the primary like Bernie and she didn’t play mercenary like Pete and Amy who were really playing for points all along.  

She stayed in for Super Tuesday, after it was clear that she had lost and after it was clear that Biden was the nominee.  If she had dropped out on Monday before Super Tuesday and endorsed Biden, she would've had some leverage.  By staying in and coming in third in her home state, she had none.

You can call Buttigieg and Klobuchar whatever you want.  But mercenaries get paid.  Don't tell me that Warren should get paid while at the same time telling me that she didn't sign up as a mercenary.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

She stayed in for Super Tuesday, after it was clear that she had lost and after it was clear that Biden was the nominee.  If she had dropped out on Monday before Super Tuesday and endorsed Biden, she would've had some leverage.  By staying in and coming in third in her home state, she had none.

You can call Buttigieg and Klobuchar whatever you want.  But mercenaries get paid.  Don't tell me that Warren should get paid while at the same time telling me that she didn't sign up as a mercenary.  

Im not saying Warren should get paid.  I don’t think her dropping out earlier would have given her much leverage.  If anything, her staying in the race helped Biden b/c it cut into the Bernie vote.  This is silly.  I’m fine with Warren in the Senate and putting the Biden administration on blast. That’s where her leverage really is. 

12 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

I know nothing about him. I’m guessing, based on your statement, he is a known commodity though? 

He was the guy who Obama tabbed as the "Ebola Czar" during the outbreak in Dallas.  By all accounts, he did a really good job in managing and coordinating the federal response.  Before that, he was COS to Biden when he was VP, and before that he was COS to Al Gore when he was VP.  

So yeah--he has a lot of Washington experience.  And he has worked as Biden's COS before.  So it's really no surprise that he would now be White House COS.

• Hook 'Em 1

If some history nerd wants to write a book about how both Harris and Warren tried to straddle the fence of moderate dem and progressive in the primary and one ended up getting Heisman'ed by both sides and the other ended up as VP, I'd read the hell out of some of that. I guess it could be as simple as a relatively young black woman vs. an old white woman, but there's probably more internal machinations than that. Would be fascinating to learn more about.

I do hope Biden finds a spot for Warren, because I think she's great and she has a voice that should be heard. But if she doesn't, it'll be because she mostly played herself.

Edited by BradInATX

Some good reporting from Alex Thompson on how Biden will approach his presidency differently from Obama, and how a few of his economic advisors have pissed off some in the donor class. I truly believe if we give Biden the Senate, the potential is there for a very successful presidency. It's early, but he seems to have learned some of the mistakes from the Obama-Biden 8 years.

• Hook 'Em 3

The Minnesota GOP that controls the state Senate elected a Democrat as president of the chamber. Unusual move, but their leadership seems to think that Biden will be appointing Amy Klobuchar into his Cabinet. GOP has 34-33 control of the Senate, and repercussions from that may end up affecting their control of the chamber.

Collin Peterson as Secretary of Agriculture seems to be getting a lot of chatter, too. That would be a good choice.

I don’t think we’ll see any senators in the cabinet. The margins are just too close and the ones he might consider are too senior, important, or high profile.

And I don’t think Biden will do like Obama and build “a team of rivals”. Biden isn’t optimistic too a fault like Obama was - he’s an affable old coot but he spent too many years deep inside the Democratic inner circle to not have some cynicism and practicality about how DC actually works.

Frankly, shit is SO broken right now I want him to appoint very experienced people. We can’t start driving the car until we’ve put the wheels back on and filled it with gas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Sorry this is what I saw (not Cabinet)

C'mon man!

I have maintained all along that Biden was not the transformative candidate we really need, but anything would be better than the sentient fatberg roaming the white house right now. Democrats are going to piss off everyone that got Biden elected in the first place and the far right will be back on top in 4 years.

14 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Sorry this is what I saw (not Cabinet)

C'mon man!

that link to the agency review teams lists about 500+ volunteers from all the fuck over the place.  i know clicking through and viewing the content can be such a bother.

here's my alternate headline: "unsurprisingly, biden's transition team includes executives from the better angels society, association of american medical colleges, hope enterprise corporation, center for earth, energy, and democracy, national audubon society, national conference on citizenship, national marine sanctuary foundation, and the learning policy institute."

i don't know what any of these companies do, and i only went through about 40 names to find those.  twitter is only as dumb as the people who use it.

but as long as he gets retweets like these...

...then mission fucking accomplished, right?

• Hook 'Em 5

Not exactly thrilled Biden seems to be filling his cabinet with a bunch of elitist corporate assholes.

Cabinet =/= transition team

And he released a bunch of Agency Review Teams that got high marks from Democrats all over the spectrum.

https://buildbackbetter.com/the-transition/agency-review-teams/

Seriously, any of these supposed cabinet front runner lists being published by the media right now are nothing more than educated guesses and based on rumors and leaks from possible cabinet candidates trying to get their name out there for publicity.

They’re as useful as sports media possible lists in coaching searches.

The only cabinet candidate floated that I actually believe is Doug Jones for AG. He and Biden go back a long way and Jones’s history of prosecuting racially motivated right wing terrorism is, unfortunately, probably going to be needed. And he’s going to be available so the party won’t lose a seat.

Progressives are going to be disappointed with some picks but that shouldn’t come as a surprise. Some people will be mad because the priority will be experienced candidates over new blood. But, again, I don’t think Biden has the luxury of taking a chance of choosing new and exciting considering that many of our federal agencies have been gutted. It’s going to take folks that have served in the executive branch that won’t have a learning curve.

Getting mad over guesswork from Politico and CNN is futile.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1