Official Thread for Abortion Demagoguery

bad_teammate

I really do think some of y’all are underestimating what just happened here and it’s potential ramifications.

I never gave a shit about this stupid law because I assumed the courts would block it until it reached the Supreme Court years later. I bet the Texas taliban thought that too.  I was wrong and so were they.

Instead, the fifth circuit court of appeals which oversees lawsuits in district courts in Texas refused to enjoin it and then took the extraordinary step to not allow the district court to even hold a hearing on it. That’s my preliminary read on it anyway. That is what the Supreme Court silently allowed to stand. 

This means every insane nut job now from all over the country has the ability to sue anyone who has anything to do with any abortion in Texas. And they’re suing for dollars. The media seems to think that doesn’t include the women who get the abortion. That’s not how I read this ridiculous over broad law though.

When that starts to happen the PR nightmare for Texas republicans is gonna be off the fucking charts. Joe shitbag suing docs, kids, rape victims and their parents for bucks is not a good look, is totally unprecedented, and the rest of the shitbag GQP will run for the hills away from this. And if they don’t. The general electorate in 2022 is gonna crucify them for this. 

Fuck the GQP.

4 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I really do think some of y’all are underestimating what just happened here and it’s potential ramifications.

I never gave a shit about this stupid law because I assumed the courts would block it until it reached the Supreme Court years later. I bet the Texas taliban thought that too.  I was wrong and so were they.

Instead, the fifth circuit court of appeals which oversees lawsuits in district courts in Texas refused to enjoin it and then took the extraordinary step to not allow the district court to even hold a hearing on it. That’s my preliminary read on it anyway. That is what the Supreme Court silently allowed to stand. 

This means every insane nut job now from all over the country has the ability to sue anyone who has anything to do with any abortion in Texas. And they’re suing for dollars. The media seems to think that doesn’t include the women who get the abortion. That’s not how I read this ridiculous over broad law though.

When that starts to happen the PR nightmare for Texas republicans is gonna be off the fucking charts. Joe shitbag suing docs, kids, rape victims and their parents for bucks is not a good look, is totally unprecedented, and the rest of the shitbag GQP will run for the hills away from this. And if they don’t. The general electorate in 2022 is gonna crucify them for this. 

Fuck the GQP.

They always talked big on abortion but did nothing because they knew they'd get punished.  They flew too close to the sun on this and the national party (if they're smart, which is debatable), will hang this around their necks.  Joe Nutjub suing a 15 year rape victim for having an abortion?  Good hell.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

6 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

They always talked big on abortion but did nothing because they knew they'd get punished.  They flew too close to the sun on this and the national party (if they're smart, which is debatable), will hang this around their necks.  Joe Nutjub suing a 15 year rape victim for having an abortion?  Good hell.

There’s a reason why biden, who so far never uttered the word “abortion” during his entire presidency, started talking about the issue today.  

The oppose/support polling on this law will be 85-15 percent, at best. Th GQP done Fucked Up.

Just now, Smax said:

So a rapist could sue his victim if she gets an abortion, fucking lunacy

They actually took the time to create an exclusion for that. But I bet the rapists uncle could.  Or his friend. Or his bookie or drug dealer. And then maybe share the proceeds with whoever he wanted...

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

There’s a reason why biden, who so far never uttered the word “abortion” during his entire presidency, started talking about the issue today.  

The oppose/support polling on this law will be 85-15 percent, at best. Th GQP done Fucked Up.

All the Democrats have to do is roll with what the Republicans are actually saying around the country.  Most reasonable people want abortion legalized with some reasonable restrictions.  The Republicans are openly talking about forcing rape victims to carry the baby.  They're wildly out of step with public opinion.

3 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

They actually took the time to create an exclusion for that. But I bet the rapists uncle could.  Or his friend. Or his bookie or drug dealer. And then maybe share the proceeds with whoever he wanted...

Define "rapist," though.  We're only talking six weeks here so it's not like the rapist is going to be convicted at that point.  

8 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Define "rapist," though.  We're only talking six weeks here so it's not like the rapist is going to be convicted at that point.  

Well that’s a good point. Can’t get a rape conviction in less than six weeks.

They didn’t think this through because I bet they assumed it would be blocked.

image.gif.9efa6958c40cb239a6caf24ed64cf994.gif

25 minutes ago, Smax said:

So a rapist could sue his victim if she gets an abortion, fucking lunacy

Look this is a stupid law, but the least we can do is read the thing.

(j)  Notwithstanding any other law, a civil action under this

section may not be brought by a person who impregnated the abortion

patient through an act of rape, sexual assault, incest, or any other

act prohibited by Sections 22.011, 22.021, or 25.02, Penal Code.

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Look this is a stupid law, but the least we can do is read the thing.

(j)  Notwithstanding any other law, a civil action under this

section may not be brought by a person who impregnated the abortion

patient through an act of rape, sexual assault, incest, or any other

act prohibited by Sections 22.011, 22.021, or 25.02, Penal Code.

This has already been addressed on this page but here goes:

Judge - “Did you rape that women six weeks ago?”

Plaintiff- “No I did not have not been convicted of it and any accusation or assertion otherwise is a lie.”

Lawsuit proceeds.

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, JimmyJames said:

This has already been addresses on this page but here goes:

Judge - “Did you rape that women six weeks ago?”

Plaintiff- “No I did not have not been convicted of it and any accusation or assertion otherwise is a lie.”

Lawsuit proceeds.

I honestly don't see any way that this law stands after challenges are actually run at it. And there will be lots. 

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I honestly don't see any way that this law stands after challenges are actually run at it. And there will be lots. 

I totally agree. Which is why what the fifth circuit court of appeal did and the Supreme Court allowing it is such a shock to the system. It’s crazy. 

46 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

what the fuck is this??  Findings: We got skullfucked into Gorsuch and Barrett, with an entitled partisan rapist hack sandwiched in between. Fascism commences. Investigation closed. 

the supreme court appointment process has been absolutely awash in dark money.  which probably comes from the same few sources that fund all the amicus curiae from every think tank/interest group out there.  which means a handful of real parties in interest are getting to have multiple voices before the court without at all disclosing who they are.  that shit needs investigated. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Roberts dissented and sided with the liberals because he knew the damage this could cause to the court. He’s an asshole but he’s right about that. It’s telling that he couldn’t convince gorsuch or donkey dong Doug though. Maybe they were too hung over or their credit card debt got too high again. 

4 hours ago, Chooky said:

It isn't so much finger pointing as it is math.

If you were following the math you'd realize the "Bernie Bros cost us 2016" argument holds no water since...

1) right-wing 3rd party got damn near 4x the votes Stein did
2) Bernie primary voters were FAR more loyal to Hillary than Hillary voters to Obama in 2008
3) In swing states, Johnson voters dramatically outnumbered Stein voters

This isn't about math. This is about being mad on social media. It's fucking pathetic.

Meanwhile, the people responsible who ACTUALLY HOLD POWER are completely ignored by centrist liberals or even outright held up as heroes because they exemplify some bourgeois id.pol attributes.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

The "framing" of someone who is pro-choice as being "pro-abortion" is very wrong. A woman considering her health in order to have "freedom" must be granted the right to make these choices without interference by the state. Her "eggs" are not the state's any more than is the sperm that might fertilize any one or more eggs. If the state sees it differently, then consider that a female cannot be impregnated w/o those sperm thus the male who fails to use a birth preventative is violating not only her rights but the state's and therefore he should be found guilty of wanton disregard of life as well. To think that most women who have an abortion think of it as easily as they order a breakfast taco is asinine.

As mentioned earlier, we have a lot of problems with lack of sex education, with lack of maternity/paternity leave, with basic FREAKING healthcare for women and children,  and when men get over their anxiety and fear that women are capable of enjoying sex and that it has nothing to do with them personally and the size of their penis and whatever other male centric beliefs they've been carrying around and if a women wants to make a choice regarding her reproductive health that choice is hers to make, the world would be a lot more peaceful.

Well said. 

Edited by washparkhorn
and Amen.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Democrats who still haven't realized that their party stubbornly tilted the scales to nominate somebody that lost to donald fucking trump love them some bernie bro deflection. And we know what comes along right after that. 

Bernie was never going to win the nomination because he didn’t have the support of the largest voting bloc in the party.

3 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Bernie was never going to win the nomination because he didn’t have the support of the largest voting bloc in the party.

'dem white bitches?  

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Democrats who still haven't realized that their party stubbornly tilted the scales to nominate somebody that lost to donald fucking trump love them some bernie bro deflection. And we know what comes along right after that. 

No, I don't. I am stumped. Because all I see is more misery if we don't right this ship of state.

Please share what's next. Where does this rancor all lead?

I am genuinely interested.

Edited by washparkhorn
fragment deleted.

1 minute ago, washparkhorn said:

No, I don't. I am stumped. Because all I see is more misery if we don't right this ship of state.

Please share what's next. Where does this rancor all lead? I am genuinely interested.

Where does all this rancor lead?

The pit under Jabba’s palace?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Who cares about Rep Sanders and a former Secretary of State?

I'm wondering if it would be possible to co-opt the QAnon human trafficking angle and begin a targeted campaign that the reason Abbott and the other GOP states are pushing this legislation is so they can create massive numbers of babies to sell as sex slaves.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

'dem white bitches?  

[Even] black men, at 86 percent, constitute a core constituency for Democrats, more so than even White women who, as exit polls showed, voted for President Trump in larger numbers in 2020 than in the 2016 election. As one panelist bluntly put it, “White women are not a Democratic constituency group.”