Official Thread for Abortion Demagoguery

bad_teammate

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

For a law (anti-abortion) that is ostensibly propelled by Judeo-Christian values, is there anything less Christian than suing your troubled neighbor for a bounty?

None of this has anything to do with judeo-christian values.  Just a bunch of people brain damaged by American fundamentalism. 

• Hook 'Em 4

On 9/2/2021 at 10:26 AM, MissingInAction said:

Having grown up in an evengelical/southern Baptist family, I can confirm that cruelty is the point of 95% of all their actions.

I'm ready to torch their churches at this point.

When you have a shitty life, where you think everybody and everything is against you, as many evangelicals do, it's all too easy to fall into the habit of trying to be shitty/judgmental/condescending to everybody else.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/09/03/apples-shortcuts-leveraged-to-disrupt-texas-anti-abortion-website

An iOS Shortcut devised by a TikTok content creator is being used to hinder the operation of a Texas anti-abortion website that is urging people to report individuals seeking a procedure.

A controversial Texas law banning abortions after roughly six weeks of pregnancy went into effect on Sept. 1, a development strongly opposed by pro-choice activists across the country. 

In a bid to thwart legal opposition, state officials are unable to enforce the legislation. Instead, citizens are effectively deputized to sue anyone who "aids and abets" in a deemed-illegal abortion. In addition to the right to recover legal fees, plaintiffs can be awarded damages of $10,000 per instance.

To boost enforcement, anti-abortion group Texas Right to Life set up a website through which anonymous "pro-life whistleblowers" can report violations of the law, reports Motherboard. In response, activists are inundating the site with spam, with at least one enterprising individual creating a script to automate the process. 

A TikTok creator known as Sean Black detailed his work on an automation to flood the Texas Right to Life website's reporting system in a video this week. The script, called "AbBOT," sends a falsified request to the site every 10 to 15 seconds, with Black able to push about 300 requests before his IP was blocked.

Black shared the code with his followers and later created a Shortcut to streamline the process for iOS device users. As of Thursday afternoon, more than 4,170 people accessed the code and some 4,870 clicked on a link to the Shortcut, the report said. 

Black's method is designed to stymie efforts to weed out spam from legitimate submissions. 

"Because it uses realistic information it makes it harder for them to parse their data," Black told Motherboard.

Running the Shortcut from Share Sheets generates a random Texas city, county and ZIP code, as well as other information, and enters the data into the site's reporting form. The process has been slowed by the institution of a captcha, but Black is working on a workaround. 

"To me the McCarthyism era tactics of turning neighbors against each other over a bill I feel is a violation of Roe V Wade is unacceptable. There are people on TikTok using their platform to educate and do their part. I believe this is me doing mine," Black said.

On Friday, GoDaddy gave Texas Right to Life 24 hours to move to another hosting service, saying the "whistleblower" website violates its terms of service, reports The Verge.

I realize this is not the AIDS thread, but I saw this and thought of our current situation.  Cruelty is the point.  As a female, I don't think I've ever felt more shame.  I was a kid in the 80's, but there is no way I could have understood the heartless shitbaggery of the time.  We've surpassed this.  Congrats.  If that doesn't make sense, ignore it.  I'm pissed off and a bit speechless.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

46 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I bet lots of Catholics are with this. 

Dominion Theology - No Separation of Church and State:

Though it’s seldom mentioned by name, it’s one of the major forces in Texas politics today: dominion theology, or dominionism. What began as a fringe evangelical sect in the 1970s has seen its influence mushroom — so much so that sociologist Sara Diamond has called dominionism “the central unifying ideology for the Christian Right.” (Italics hers.) That’s especially true here in Texas, where dominionist beliefs have, over the last decade, become part and parcel of right-wing politics at the highest levels of government.

So, what is it? Dominionism fundamentally opposes America’s venerable tradition of church-state separation — in fact, dominionists deny the Founders ever intended that separation in the first place. According to Frederick Clarkson, senior fellow for religious liberty at the non-profit social justice think tank Political Research Associates, dominionists believe that Christians “have a biblical mandate to control all earthly institutions — including government — until the second coming of Jesus.” And that should worry all Texans — Christians and non-Christians alike.

Spoiler

Dominionism comes in “soft” and “hard” varieties. “Hard” dominionism (sometimes called Christian Reconstructionism), as Clarkson describes it, explicitly seeks to replace secular government, and the U.S. Constitution, with a system based on Old Testament law.

The father of hard dominionism, the late Presbyterian theologian R.J. Rushdoony, called for his followers to “take back government … and put it in the hands of Christians.”

Rushdoony’s legacy has been carried on by his son-in-law, Tyler-based economist Gary North, an unapologetic theocrat who in 1982 called for Christians to “get busy in constructing a Bible-based social, political, and religious order which finally denies the religious liberty of the enemies of God.” (North, founder of the Institute for Christian Economics, did not respond to my request for comment.)

PERHAPS THE MOST POWERFUL DOMINIONIST IN TEXAS POLITICS IS LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR DAN PATRICK.  PATRICK SAID THAT ELECTED OFFICIALS MUST LOOK TO SCRIPTURE WHEN THEY MAKE POLICY, “BECAUSE EVERY PROBLEM WE HAVE IN AMERICA HAS A SOLUTION IN THE BIBLE.”

Top Texas political figures have had links to dominionism for years. In 2011, the Observer covered then-Governor Rick Perry’s ties to a branch of the movement, the New Apostolic Reformation. Since then, the relationship between dominionism and right-wing politics has become even cozier.

Case in point: Ted Cruz. Although Cruz is too politically savvy to openly endorse dominionism, key figures on his team are explicit dominionists.

The most important may be his father, evangelist Rafael Cruz, a frequent surrogate for Cruz on the political stage.

Cruz père espouses Seven Mountains Dominionism, which holds that Christians must take control of seven “mountains,” or areas of life: family, religion, education, media, entertainment, business and government. Speaking at the Texas GOP Convention in Dallas in May, Rafael Cruz claimed that God inspired the Founders to produce the Constitution, and declared that “biblical values” have made America the greatest country on earth. He encouraged Christian pastors to run for public office at every level, and called upon all Christians to exercise their “sacred responsibility” to vote for candidates who uphold biblical values.

As for what Thomas Jefferson famously called America’s “wall of separation between Church & State,” Cruz claimed in a 2016 sermon that it was meant to be a “one-way wall” — preventing government from interfering in religion but allowing the Church to exercise dominion over government. (I have to wonder whether a “one-way wall” is really a wall at all.…)

From 2016 - read it all. https://www.texasobserver.org/dominion-theology/

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Though it’s seldom mentioned by name, it’s one of the major forces in Texas politics today: dominion theology, or dominionism. What began as a fringe evangelical sect in the 1970s has seen its influence mushroom — so much so that sociologist Sara Diamond has called dominionism “the central unifying ideology for the Christian Right.” (Italics hers.) That’s especially true here in Texas, where dominionist beliefs have, over the last decade, become part and parcel of right-wing politics at the highest levels of government.

So, what is it? Dominionism fundamentally opposes America’s venerable tradition of church-state separation — in fact, dominionists deny the Founders ever intended that separation in the first place. According to Frederick Clarkson, senior fellow for religious liberty at the non-profit social justice think tank Political Research Associates, dominionists believe that Christians “have a biblical mandate to control all earthly institutions — including government — until the second coming of Jesus.” And that should worry all Texans — Christians and non-Christians alike

It's very big on Gab, and certain people such as former AG Barr and others in DC are somewhat under-the-radar like Cruz. Pompeo is less under-the-radar and doesn't seem to fear any earthly repercussions whatsoever.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

So, we can donate to Planned Parenthood in honor of Greg Abbott and they'll send a thank you card to his address?

robert-redford-nod.gif

Based on my uneducated reading of the law, you should do this in the name of a family member of his, specifically requesting that the money go towards indigent abortions, and then bring them to court to collect your 10 grand — since that would be aiding and abetting abortion. Then wash, rinse, and repeat with your new-found cash.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On the Constitutional Law side of things and in the big picture of things, this is fundamentally an Establishment Clause case?

The law is so fantastically entangled, I doubt we get to the Establishment Clause though. 

Link below to a Law Review Article (long pdf from UChicago's ChicagoUbound) - It is an entertaining read for history buffs and Constitution watchers. It is long. Good writer.

https://chicagounbound.uchicago.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=11059&context=journal_articles

Some could say, some of the social conservatives carry the mark of a beast.  I never would - because that would be silly prophesy based on the Bible.

And it is written that God doesn't want His followers in conflict. So I would never say that as a Christian.

God is love. It is written we must not judge.

It is written we must love one another and support those in need as expressions of God's Grace.

When Christians judge others, they are in conflict with God's exclusive Jurisdiction. 

Peace be with you.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Mole said:

Based on my uneducated reading of the law, you should do this in the name of a family member of his, specifically requesting that the money go towards indigent abortions, and then bring them to court to collect your 10 grand — since that would be aiding and abetting abortion. Then wash, rinse, and repeat with your new-found cash.

Damn it all, you're right.  Guess what Heidi Cruz is about to get?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

You misspelled exceptionalism. 

Not really.  That is a separate brain disorder. What I see here are more than a few of the most vocal posters raised by Christian fundamentalists projecting that narrow worldview and perspective.  There is really no way to reason with these people as they are just entrenched in their upbringing and think that everybody is as brain damaged as their parents.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

So, what is it? Dominionism fundamentally opposes America’s venerable tradition of church-state separation — in fact, dominionists deny the Founders ever intended that separation in the first place. According to Frederick Clarkson, senior fellow for religious liberty at the non-profit social justice think tank Political Research Associates, dominionists believe that Christians “have a biblical mandate to control all earthly institutions — including government — until the second coming of Jesus.” And that should worry all Texans — Christians and non-Christians alike.

Hide contents

Dominionism comes in “soft” and “hard” varieties. “Hard” dominionism (sometimes called Christian Reconstructionism), as Clarkson describes it, explicitly seeks to replace secular government, and the U.S. Constitution, with a system based on Old Testament law.

The father of hard dominionism, the late Presbyterian theologian R.J. Rushdoony, called for his followers to “take back government … and put it in the hands of Christians.”

Rushdoony’s legacy has been carried on by his son-in-law, Tyler-based economist Gary North, an unapologetic theocrat who in 1982 called for Christians to “get busy in constructing a Bible-based social, political, and religious order which finally denies the religious liberty of the enemies of God.” (North, founder of the Institute for Christian Economics, did not respond to my request for comment.)

PERHAPS THE MOST POWERFUL DOMINIONIST IN TEXAS POLITICS IS LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR DAN PATRICK.  PATRICK SAID THAT ELECTED OFFICIALS MUST LOOK TO SCRIPTURE WHEN THEY MAKE POLICY, “BECAUSE EVERY PROBLEM WE HAVE IN AMERICA HAS A SOLUTION IN THE BIBLE.”

Top Texas political figures have had links to dominionism for years. In 2011, the Observer covered then-Governor Rick Perry’s ties to a branch of the movement, the New Apostolic Reformation. Since then, the relationship between dominionism and right-wing politics has become even cozier.

Case in point: Ted Cruz. Although Cruz is too politically savvy to openly endorse dominionism, key figures on his team are explicit dominionists.

The most important may be his father, evangelist Rafael Cruz, a frequent surrogate for Cruz on the political stage.

Cruz père espouses Seven Mountains Dominionism, which holds that Christians must take control of seven “mountains,” or areas of life: family, religion, education, media, entertainment, business and government. Speaking at the Texas GOP Convention in Dallas in May, Rafael Cruz claimed that God inspired the Founders to produce the Constitution, and declared that “biblical values” have made America the greatest country on earth. He encouraged Christian pastors to run for public office at every level, and called upon all Christians to exercise their “sacred responsibility” to vote for candidates who uphold biblical values.

As for what Thomas Jefferson famously called America’s “wall of separation between Church & State,” Cruz claimed in a 2016 sermon that it was meant to be a “one-way wall” — preventing government from interfering in religion but allowing the Church to exercise dominion over government. (I have to wonder whether a “one-way wall” is really a wall at all.…)

From 2016 - read it all. https://www.texasobserver.org/dominion-theology/

What I see a protection of a class that can't speak. Unless a person is a just a featherless bipedal thing, ten this law makes sense. This doesn't have to be just religious. It also makes me wonder if the double murder of a pregnant woman in Texas is changed by this law. 

This piece of shit lives in my neighborhood  and it is taking everything I have to restrain myself from shitting on her lawn.

https://www.isaacfortexas.com/

The last time I voted in person, the oldest troll female in that heart hands photo was on site at the polling place where I volunteered.  

I just had enough cava to start a heated discussion with my husband and we agreed on every point.  We've been on hormonal birth control for 10+ years and if there is a silver lining to this bullshit, he might get over the FEAR of a vasectomy.  HE is upset about this bullshit.  I went into detail about how we could afford an abortion (we have not had an abortion) because we can afford one.  There is mad fuckery here.  I am not a woman of color.  I was raised by college educated white parents.  Sex ed was taught as early as 4th grade.  I knew the score.  I am the white female exception.  I had all of the advantages.  

The women targeted by this shit are not "me."  They're people in poverty.  No resources have been appropriated to take care of their born.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Not really.  That is a separate brain disorder. What I see here are more than a few of the most vocal posters raised by Christian fundamentalists projecting that narrow worldview and perspective.  There is really no way to reason with these people as they are just entrenched in their upbringing and think that everybody is as brain damaged as their parents.  

It's always fascinating to see how you try to demean, minimalize, and insult others life experiences. Especially in this case where our own lying eyes are showing us that our state as a legislative and executive body is as brain damaged as our parents. 

But I know you're just enjoying the victory lap of getting your full on abortion ban and imposition of your theology on your fellow Texan. So enjoy the brain damage, I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Captainant said:

It's always fascinating to see how you try to demean, minimalize, and insult others life experiences.

You are upset with me for looking down my nose at American Christian fundamentalists? 

That's a celebrated perspective on this board. Unless it hits a little too close to home I guess. 

Just now, Anastasis said:

You are upset with me for looking down my nose at American Christian fundamentalists? 

That's a celebrated perspective on this board. Unless it hits a little too close to home I guess. 

Is this some reverse bothsides thing going on? You are an outspoken anti-abortion poster on this board - throwing stones at the people who just implemented your preferred policy outcome?

32 minutes ago, tigol said:

This piece of shit lives in my neighborhood  and it is taking everything I have to restrain myself from shitting on her lawn.

https://www.isaacfortexas.com/

The last time I voted in person, the oldest troll female in that heart hands photo was on site at the polling place where I volunteered.  

I just had enough cava to start a heated discussion with my husband and we agreed on every point.  We've been on hormonal birth control for 10+ years and if there is a silver lining to this bullshit, he might get over the FEAR of a vasectomy.  HE is upset about this bullshit.  I went into detail about how we could afford an abortion (we have not had an abortion) because we can afford one.  There is mad fuckery here.  I am not a woman of color.  I was raised by college educated white parents.  Sex ed was taught as early as 4th grade.  I knew the score.  I am the white female exception.  I had all of the advantages.  

The women targeted by this shit are not "me."  They're people in poverty.  No resources have been appropriated to take care of their born.

Damn, wrong again.  I am her.

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Is this some reverse bothsides thing going on? You are an outspoken anti-abortion poster on this board - throwing stones at the people who just implemented your preferred policy outcome?

Outspoken?  I guess.  I mean I have been clear that I think abortion is barbaric and unfitting a modern society. I have said the exact same thing regarding the death penalty. Maybe that makes me outspoken. 

I think that I have been pretty clear and consistent in terms of where I think that people coming at the issue from different perspectives can find some common ground.  And that should be where we spend our time if we actually care about the issues at play. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Outspoken?  I guess.  I mean I have been clear that I think abortion is barbaric and unfitting a modern society. I have said the exact same thing regarding the death penalty. Maybe that makes me outspoken. 

I think that I have been pretty clear and consistent in terms of where I think that people coming at the issue from different perspectives can find some common ground.  And that should be where we spend our time if we actually care about the issues at play. 

Your deal is the rape aspect isn't it?

Just now, workswithseed said:

What do you have against the law? I was thinking it was the rape aspect.

Uh, it's divisive garbage that will get struck down. 

There are areas where reasonable people can align on reducing the number of abortions. This bill is not close to one of those areas.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

There are areas where reasonable people can align on reducing the number of abortions. This bill is not close to one of those areas.  

Such as...? The dialogue and policy from the right on abortion is zero compromise, "it's barbaric and unfitting of society", and generally objectifying of women. 

What sort of policy would you put forward that would align reasonable people?

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I can't think of one time an abortion law has been passed on one side that was liked by the other side. 

8 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Such as...?

On 2/1/2019 at 12:17 PM, Anastasis said:

Agreed.  At least in terms of prioritization wrt abortion, we should prioritize education and healthcare interventions that focus on women who have had 2 or more prior abortions.  Women who are receiving their 3rd abortion make up ~20% of all abortions annually in this country.  That's about 75-100k abortions annually. Not only could we impact in a meaningful way the number of abortions, we could address risk for some of the known psychological and medical complications associated with using abortion as a routine medical procedure for preventing child birth. 

Lol, focusing on publicly funded education and healthcare loses the entire republican party, annie. You know this. Cruelty is the point.

Republicans don't give a flying fuck about children once they're born. Improved social welfare drastically reduces abortion rates, but that is unfortunately socialism. 

You are lying to yourself if you think that would have a snowballs chance in hell of actually getting off the ground. 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

You are lying to yourself if you think that would have a snowballs chance in hell of actually getting off the ground. 

I am under no delusion that people on any side of the politics of the situation really want to do anything meaningful wrt abortion. 

• Fuck You 1