Official Thread for Abortion Demagoguery

bad_teammate

13 hours ago, mchookem said:

well that's good. 

but Texas is not New Hampshire. *sigh*

No it's not.  However, it is also a notoriously independent state who votes downballot Republican (fucking New England ticket splitters).

But Texas has a lot of these similar "moderate R suburbs who vote R downballot" that don't like the draconian abortion shit being done by the GOP.  Just because the ruby red exurbs and rural folks love it doesn't mean the suburbs around Houston/SA/Dallas/FW/Austin do.  Those are areas the Dems still have room to grow, both in the Lege and Congressional districts. 

This also shows that Dems need to run on healthcare (abortion and COVID), which is always a good message with more moderate/independent voters.  Also of note: The current NH governor, Sununu, signed a pretty shitty abortion bill and is seen as the frontrunner for the GOP nomination in NH.  Abortion is the third rail in NH, you don't fucking touch it without serious blowback. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/4/2021 at 12:27 AM, workswithseed said:

I like Sack's idea of giving women IUDs if they want 

What if I told you that one of the mechanisms in which IUDs work is by preventing implantation of a fertilized egg and thus results in some "abortions"?  Would you still be in favor?

• Like 1

Republicans just broke their golden rule

How do Republicans continue to win after the grifters and racists no longer feel safe from the religious nuts? What happens to the Republican Party if the harassing, abusive, often destructive policies they impose on minority communities are equally applied to their own white donors? Thanks to a terrible miscalculation by Texas Legislators, we’re about to find out.

Edited by Pescado_Rojo
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

What if I told you that one of the mechanisms in which IUDs work is by preventing implantation of a fertilized egg and thus results in some "abortions"?  Would you still be in favor?

Sure, even abstinence isn't 100%. There is no magic bullet to end all abortions. It would be a cheap way to prevent more abortions, same as vasectomies. As long as there are fewer abortions, then why not?

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

No it's not.  However, it is also a notoriously independent state who votes downballot Republican (fucking New England ticket splitters).

But Texas has a lot of these similar "moderate R suburbs who vote R downballot" that don't like the draconian abortion shit being done by the GOP.  Just because the ruby red exurbs and rural folks love it doesn't mean the suburbs around Houston/SA/Dallas/FW/Austin do.  Those are areas the Dems still have room to grow, both in the Lege and Congressional districts. 

This also shows that Dems need to run on healthcare (abortion and COVID), which is always a good message with more moderate/independent voters.  Also of note: The current NH governor, Sununu, signed a pretty shitty abortion bill and is seen as the frontrunner for the GOP nomination in NH.  Abortion is the third rail in NH, you don't fucking touch it without serious blowback. 

Which is why all elected Democrats need to be speaking about this constantly. Without that, a lot of people who don't know better get the idea that what the Court did isn't as objectionable and the GOP isn't as radical as leftist activists are saying. Further, the lack of consistent messaging discourages the party's base.

It's exactly the wrong way to use this for electoral advantage. Every goddamned election the Dems think that if they just talk about kitchen table issues, undecided voters will see all the other awful stuff the GOP are doing and get turned off by it and vote Dem. And every fucking election ends up way closer than it should've been, because a ton of undecided voters don't really follow what's going on all that closely and won't hear about this shit unless it is talked about constantly. Every elected Democrat should be speaking every day about the radical oppressive GOP rewarding rapists with $10,000 bounties, forcing rape victims to carry to term, shutting down women's health clinics, etc. This isn't rocket science and they still fuck it up time after time after time after time.

59 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Sure, even abstinence isn't 100%. There is no magic bullet to end all abortions. It would be a cheap way to prevent more abortions, same as vasectomies. As long as there are fewer abortions, then why not?

My point was many anti-abortionists believe that human life starts at conception.  If you don't believe that, and don't see that as any kind of moral obstacle, then we are in complete agreement.   

I'm not going to listen to anyone talking about abstinence because they don't follow that up with talking about funding sex education in public schools, free birth control and something about funding an organized called PLANNED Parenthood so people can be informed before embarking on such an endeavor.

But hey - don't have sex, but if you do, you'll go to jail for having an abortion and we won't do anything to take care of the kid after it's born. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

My point was many anti-abortionists believe that human life starts at conception.  If you don't believe that, and don't see that as any kind of moral obstacle, then we are in complete agreement.   

Is saying "anti-abortionist" the left's version of reframing the pro-life movement, like how some on the right calls the left "anti-life" versus pro-choice? 

Are we doing that now?

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Fuck You 2

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I don't believe WIldcat is saying to get the message out to change Trumpkins minds or anyone who watches foxnews religiously, but in order to confront an attack on their and their voters/constituents ideals. It's probably a nice signal and message to people that they will fight for them and that they aren't just ego-driven, mediocre talents who are in it for the political career (which by and large, most politicians actually are, on both sides).
Exactly, its called rallying your base. POTUS saying a "few words" is the laziest thing he could have done

Weak and pathetic

6 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Is saying "anti-abortionist" the left's version of reframing the pro-life movement, like how some on the right calls the left "anti-life" versus pro-choice? 

Are we doing that now?

Is calling you an anti abortionist inaccurate? Doesn't seem like reframing, just calling a spade a spade

On 9/3/2021 at 7:33 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

So, we can donate to Planned Parenthood in honor of Greg Abbott and they'll send a thank you card to his address?

Even better. After making said donation, go ahead and file a suit against Abbott for aiding and abetting abortions due to the donation. Make him defend it in court. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Alright, "Anti-abortionist" it is, don't shoot the messenger, that is a fine moniker and characterizes the stance, considering abortion is murder to anti-abortionists, so I think everyone is saying the same thing.

I was asking because I don't watch punditry or cable news or celebrity entertainers who do comedic bits about news and so wasn't sure if this was a choreographed shift that has taken place in politics or if a few folks here were doing it as a way to emphasize points on the message board. 

47 minutes ago, Foosters said:

And let's not forget those dinosaurs in Jurassic park that laid eggs without having sex, or something. Actually that doesn't sound right, it's been a long time since I've watched it.

No, you're right, but you should watch it to make sure. 

IIRC, @Pods said that humans could technically do it too, and someone made the joke there too. 

5 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Anti-abortion is appropriate since many of those who claim to be pro-life have no problem with the death penalty. 

Good point. And I assume the exercise is in capturing the largest swath of different folks to group them into one population as opposed to parsing out the anti-abortionist people who are also anti-death penalty to call them pro-life, etc.

5 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Good point. And I assume the exercise is in capturing the largest swath of different folks to group them into one population as opposed to parsing out the anti-abortionist people who are also anti-death penalty to call them pro-life, etc.

Anti-abortionists rebranded themselves to be "pro life" in an effort to appeal to a broader population.  That doesn't mean the rest of us have to use their chosen terminology.  

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Wait wait wait, are you legitimately claiming that abstinence isn’t 100% because you think Mary never fucked?

Legitimately?  That's open for debate.  Actually?  Absolutely he is.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Is calling you an anti abortionist inaccurate? Doesn't seem like reframing, just calling a spade a spade

It’s not reframing at all. That’s just one of the many pathetic attempts at false equivocation; a sport of which “pro-life” right wingers are the all time world heavyweight champions.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Wait wait wait, are you legitimately claiming that abstinence isn’t 100% because you think Mary never fucked?

If it happens once it's not 100% isn't it? You kinda have to believe that Jesus was born from the Virgin Mary to be Christian. Do I have to worry that other women could do the same? No.

15 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

You kinda have to believe that Jesus was born from the Virgin Mary to be Christian.

There is a statistically significant subset who disagree. Now, to be a biblically literalist Christian, yes, you would have to buy that hokum, but if you believe more logically that the New Testament was slapped together several decades after Jesus's death, you have a considerable amount of greater dogmatic flexibility.

43 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

If it happens once it's not 100% isn't it? You kinda have to believe that Jesus was born from the Virgin Mary to be Christian. Do I have to worry that other women could do the same? No.

Is that what the disciple’s believed? Did Christ Himself bring that up in His teachings? Or, only when drinking wine around the campfire?

I have heard similar comments with other Booleans. Example: if you don’t believe Christ rose from the dead, you can’t be Christian. To which I ask the same questions I raised earlier. Did His disciples know in advance He would rise from the dead? Were they fools to follow Him only because of His teachings?

Don’t you strip believing the words of Christ (only those words and their implications) and then add stuff He did not say, to define Christianity. Believe me, He wouldn’t like that.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Claro
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Woland said:

I label some conservatives as pro-abortion since they pursue policies that run counter to actually reducing abortion.

yuuuuup. been saying this for years - most notably to my mother - who has (I think) finally come around. You want to reduce abortions (sorry conservatives, you will never eliminate abortion) then provide education and resources to give that mother and her child the best chance possible.