Official Thread for Abortion Demagoguery

bad_teammate

4 hours ago, lemonlime said:

People buying guns. 

I kinda like the idea of imposing a bounty system for violations of gun laws, if for no other reason than to point out the lunacy of the Texas civil penalty aspect of SB8.  As someone else noted, you can bet your ass the Taliban wing of the Supreme Court would take up the case lickity-split.  The trick would be to have it parallel the SB8 framework so precisely that even these fucking hypocrites couldn't find a way to distinguish the two cases - probably more difficult than it would seem given their recent history.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, sidis said:

you act like this is problematic for greg abbott, dan patrick, and briscoe cain.

It also won't be problematic for any of them politically.  This is the new Hee Haw Jihad branding surge where more is never enough.  I'm already seeing the fantasy world where some in this forum think there will be some form of blowback or political consequence.  Pro tip:  there's no floor to the lunacy.  "No Gain Unless Someone is in Pain/Take That, Slut! 2024!!!"

• Rage+1 1

30 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I actually think the Texas taliban passed this thing to appease its nut job base thinking the courts would just bail them out and block it anyway. 

image.gif.9806353991644657b36cc0f5c6539dd7.gif

lol. you're probably right bc that is what has happened in every other instance. they may have stepped in it on this one

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

lol. you're probably right bc that is what has happened in every other instance. they may have stepped in it on this one

Texas GOP pushes close to the line, finally cleared it and we’ll see if the moderate wing has blowback. Always seemingly been a few more pro-choice GOP than pro-life Dems 

JFC. The hand-wringing about the SCOTUS ruling is out of control.

They didn’t rule on the constitutionality of the law. It appears that there was just an issue of ripeness/possibly standing.

Someone will get an abortion soon. Some dickface will sue them, and from there, the case works it’s way the Court system. IF SCOTUS upholds the law on its merits, THEN I’ll be pissed.

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

... that might mean that this law can never be properly challenged.

All of the equities at issue here fall on one side of the fucking scale and the majority just totally ignored them and decided to annihilate the rule of law, because it served their immediate partisan desires.

This is my absolute biggest concern in all of this.   They have written a law that doesn't allow for judicial review.  At least not with the Bozos we have in the current Court.

Oh, and the cynic in me thinks the 5-4 ruling last night with Roberts siding with the liberals was complete theater.   He drew the short straw in order to make it appear as a (sort of) bipartisan minority opinion.   It is cover only and not a real legal one from Roberts.

• Rage+1 1

23 minutes ago, TheRealRonWeaver? said:

Does the law allow a plaintiff to obtain a patient’s protected health information? How does discovery work in these cases?

Ask Marjorie Taylor Greene.   She's a hippo expert.

Yes, I typed hippo on purpose.

4 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

January 6, 2021 was normalized by a major political party.  Anything can be normalized.  And if you accidently go a little too far, voter suppression, totally normalized these days, will help you wiggle out of the jam.  Hurt is the engine and hate is the fuel.  Half of the dumb dumbs who find out at the door that they can't help their daughter control her future will be Abbott voters.  And they'll vote for him again.  

More and faster

Here they come

They're white and trashy

And incredibly dumb

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

6 minutes ago, scottsins said:

They didn’t rule on the constitutionality of the law. It appears that there was just an issue of ripeness/possibly standing.

Someone will get an abortion soon. Some dickface will sue them, and from there, the case works it’s way the Court system. IF SCOTUS upholds the law on its merits, THEN I’ll be pissed.

They didn't have to.

I predicted a few years ago that they'd gut Roe rather than overturn it. I didn't see it going down quite like this, but the simple fact is that they've allowed a blatantly unconstitutional law to take effect and have made it clear that they're going to go out of their way to avoid hearing challenges to it.

I don't blame the center-left for this, really. I specifically assign a good portion of individual blame to Ruth Bader Ginsburg herself. Same for Breyer when President Hawley replaces him in 2025 with a 17-year-old Young Republicans chapter president. And I individually blame every Democrat in the Senate who opposes packing/cracking/rotating the SC.

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

28 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I don't blame the center-left for this, really. I specifically assign a good portion of individual blame to Ruth Bader Ginsburg herself. Same for Breyer when President Hawley replaces him in 2025 with a 17-year-old Young Republicans chapter president. And I individually blame every Democrat in the Senate who opposes packing/cracking/rotating the SC.

THIS is the bt we need. It's not the bt we deserve, but the one we need to hear from. I'm here for it!

50 minutes ago, scottsins said:

Apparently four Supreme Court justices disagree with your legal analysis. 

1 hour ago, Chooky said:

It also won't be problematic for any of them politically.  This is the new Hee Haw Jihad branding surge where more is never enough.  I'm already seeing the fantasy world where some in this forum think there will be some form of blowback or political consequence.  Pro tip:  there's no floor to the lunacy.  "No Gain Unless Someone is in Pain/Take That, Slut! 2024!!!"

Kinda tired of this argument. Yeah there is no floor to the lunacy of the GOP. We all know that.

Well guess what. The lunatic GOP doesn’t decide elections. The people in the middle do, the so called independents that swing back and forth and if you don’t think this will matter then you haven’t been paying attention. 

1 hour ago, scottsins said:

it is like you didn't read the previous page or something.  we are all aware of what just happened and discussed those details.

the ussc is telling you as plainly as it can that you should be prepared to be pissed.

it admitted there was an issue of constitutionality but because of the novelty of who was enforcing the law (private vigilante citizens, not the government), didn't feel like it needed to take the constitutionality of the law.

24 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

How do I prove I didn’t have an abortion?

Did your P.E. teacher or school nurse (which is a guy named Ronnie who also serves lunches, mows the grass and takes out the trash) even confirm that you do in fact have a vagina while you were in high school?  Do you have the records from your vagina check?  We usually keep a database of that but the network is down because Ronnie is also the head of the IT Department.  Maybe Ronnie will remember your vagina.  Either way, even if your vagina check is confirmed you'll have to enter a guilty plea for having a vagina.  We understand your sense of urgency, but there's a whole process here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Kinda tired of this argument. Yeah there is no floor to the lunacy of the GOP. We all know that.

Well guess what. The lunatic GOP doesn’t decide elections. The people in the middle do, the so called independents that swing back and forth and if you don’t think this will matter then you haven’t been paying attention. 

I've been paying so much goddamned attention that it's a noticeable deficit on my soul.  

"The lunatic GOP doesn't decide elections."  And they hate this fact.  There are multiple states currently rectifying that whole "democracy glitch" right in front of our faces.  Remember that part about "no floor?"  Right now, anything can be normalized.  The GOP is just as shocked about that reality as the rest of us are.  So, no, I don't think this will matter and, yes, I've been paying attention.  And I could easily return your condescending tone by scoffing about how you will still continue to step on that rake and say to yourself "oh boy, they've gone too far this time."   

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Couldn’t someone sue a woman that actually has a kid? I mean she’s pregnant one day and the next she’s not, so make her prove in court she had the kid? How open ended is this shit?

Force the child to testify. 

"Okay little Hayden or Tyler or Jordan or whatever the fuck your name is. Is the vagina you came out of in the courtroom today? Would you please point to that vagina? Let the record reflect that the little, slack-jawed prick pointed to his mother's vagina."

J.C. Penney is headquartered in Texas?  I had no idea.  

That would explain their campaign funds to Dan Patrick involving exclusively in-kind wardrobe donations.  

8 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

pretty sure Tesla is not headquartered here. Are the others?

I may be wrong on Tesla and they just built the new plant in Austin.  Frito Lay and Toyota North America are all in Plano near JC Penny and Dr. Pepper.  The PGA is also moving to Frisco, TX for their national headquarters.

Edited by Beantown Express 2.0

7 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I may be wrong on Tesla and they just built the new plant in Austin.  Frito Lay and Toyota North America are all in Plano near JC Penny and Dr. Pepper.  The PGA is also moving to Frisco, TX for their national headquarters.

maybe according to Project Lincoln they are not among the 13 largest companies. I dunno, I didn't put the list together.

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

maybe according to Meidas Touch they are not among the 13 largest companies. I dunno, I didn't put the list together.

Not blaming you man.  Just figured those type of names would pull some weight for what the Lincoln Project is trying to get out there.  Instead of going with the top 13 just throw all of those companies out there and make them all feel some heat from consumers.  

2 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Not blaming you man.  Just figured those type of names would pull some weight for what the Lincoln Project is trying to get out there.  Instead of going with the top 13 just throw all of those companies out there and make them all feel some heat from consumers.  

regardless, there should be a massive movement among employees at those companies to demand that their leadership condemn this law and put pressure on elected officials to rescind it or risk facing a labor shortage. I guarantee you any tax cuts they may be getting by doing business in Texas can evaporate in a moment if enough people leave. There are jobs to be had right now and no few people are inherently tied to theirs anymore

Those are certainly 13 of the largest consumer-facing companies based in Texas. I think that's what they were going for.  There are companies with larger market caps than that in Texas that nobody can exactly boycott/protest because most Texans don't know what they fuck they do.  How do you show your thoughts on abortion rights to Kinder Morgan or Crown Castle?