Official Thread for Abortion Demagoguery

bad_teammate

8 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Articles report the injunction is already blocked by virtue of the AG's office appealing the ruling. I should know this, but how does the AG appealing a ruling automatically remove a state court's injunction??

Because our R politicians are ghouls.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

8 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Articles report the injunction is already blocked by virtue of the AG's office appealing the ruling. I should know this, but how does the AG appealing a ruling automatically remove a state court's injunction??

Rule 29.3.  But don’t be surprised if the Third COA imposes its own injunction.

Edited by Ghost of LL

15 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

He can’t legally. He has to remain publicly and politically relevant or they’re going to pull his throat through his spinal column so in a weird way I can’t fault him.  

Tomorrow Ohio has a statewide vote on whether to increase the threshold to 60% for state amendments to Constitution. It has always been a simple majority for over the last 100 years. The legislature last year moved away from August votes because of low turnout, but included this one.

This is to combat a later vote on whether women have a right to abortion in Ohio on the November ballot. Turnout has been gubernatorial level according to media outlets in the state.

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Tomorrow Ohio has a statewide vote on whether to increase the threshold to 60% for state amendments to Constitution. It has always been a simple majority for over the last 100 years. The legislature last year moved away from August votes because of low turnout, but included this one.

This is to combat a later vote on whether women have a right to abortion in Ohio on the November ballot. Turnout has been gubernatorial level according to media outlets in the state.

Yep. This will be very telling as to how many people in Ohio are paying attention. I feel it will be  a big turnout. 

Just now, WhatTheBuck said:

Back from a long day volunteering as an election worker. I don’t know how it projects statewide but at the end of the day at my polling station, the No votes beat the Yes votes by a 2-to-1 margin. Voting wasn’t heavy but it was steady all day.

The Dispatch is carrying live updates here:

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/politics/elections/2023/08/07/ohio-election-results-for-issue-1-aug-8-special-election/70542152007/

Bro, y'all won big. Wasserman called before 715. 

Keep on rocking 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Pro-life amendments or referendum are 0-8 since Dobbs, including in very liberal bastions such as Montana, Kansas, Kentucky and Ohio

Yeah nobody is buying the “we’re protecting babies from late 3rd trimester  abortions*” bs now that we are seeing heartbeat bills w/o exceptions, doctors threatened with civil and criminal penalties, women needing to be literally on their deathbed prior to intervention, and proposals to ban contraception 

* which Roe already did 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, chainsaw said:

Lots of Ohio sucks, by the look of that map. But sanity has won out.

Rurals about tapped out but not the big stuff in the cities

Sandusky County (ew) swung 15 points left - Trump +27.6 to Yes +12

• Hook 'Em 2

When Heehaw is voting that strongly against you and they are purportedly on your side it might be time to rethink your position.

Bwahaha! Yeah right. Rethink. 

You mean REDOUBLE MY EFFORTS!

This quote from the Frum

Unfortunately for them, Republicans have turned every element of the plan upside down and inside out.

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Radical republicans already with the same song and dance that this election was “rigged”

They seriously have no message. Sad.

Of course it’s rigged when the people are allowed to vote 

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Whatever the margin ends up, I bet the abortion amendment in November is going to end up better for Dems. And only needs 50%

Would be hilarious if the measure to change the threshold to 60% gets voted down 40-60 

Edited by Sawbonz
F autocorrect
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

This is obviously a good day, but part of my mind can't reconcile how many 2020 Trump/2023 No voters there are and that a whole lot of them, if not the overwhelming majority of them, are going to pull the lever for Trump in 2024.

I guess if the GQP continues its assault on women's rights (of course they will) maybe there's a chance to flip some of them.

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

Yeah nobody is buying the “we’re protecting babies from late 3rd trimester  abortions*” bs now that we are seeing heartbeat bills w/o exceptions, doctors threatened with civil and criminal penalties, women needing to be literally on their deathbed prior to intervention, and proposals to ban contraception 

* which Roe already did 

31 minutes ago, Disco Strangler said:

Can Texas haz a constitutional amendment vote on abortion?

I wish more Texans knew that we have legislators and other politicians up through the state level, that would love to track Texas women leaving the state for abortions, and putting them in jail upon their return, as well as wanting to do away with birth control.

• Rage+1 2

59 minutes ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

This is obviously a good day, but part of my mind can't reconcile how many 2020 Trump/2023 No voters there are and that a whole lot of them, if not the overwhelming majority of them, are going to pull the lever for Trump in 2024.

I guess if the GQP continues its assault on women's rights (of course they will) maybe there's a chance to flip some of them.

I don’t think you’re appreciating the difference in turnout. It’s not that Trump voters then voted No. it’s that a bunch of Trump voters didn’t vote.

And that’s the consequence of the GQP’s dominance among the poorly educated, who don’t vote in off-year elections.

• Hook 'Em 5