COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

5 minutes ago, Victor Lazlo said:

That’s not what the discussion was about.

It was about the 1% of previously infected that got a reinfection.

And that a vaccine would mitigate that 1% by a factor of 60%. 

What's the risk or concern of getting a fucking vaccine? Why do you and yours look for ANY possible reason to encourage people not to get it? Just like seeing more sick people?

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

What's the risk or concern of getting a fucking vaccine? Why do you and yours look for ANY possible reason to encourage people not to get it? Just like seeing more sick people?

Ok, Cap’n, I’ll play.

Of course I love seeing more sick people. Who doesn’t?

Don’t be fatuous  

I previously, upthread, explained and provided a link that made it clear why I didn’t think I needed a vaccine at this time. I had Covid in February. I have tons of antibodies. And T and B cell immunity.

Don’t just read YOUR Twitter feed. Read the link I posted from Emory University. They are clear that people that have been previously infected retain robust antibodies.

Or, maybe you actually believe that I truly am stupid and desire to kill people because I have made a rational ( to me ) decision that I don’t need to get the vaccine at this time. Based on the best info I’ve seen. You think that - U R dumb  

All this angst about infected people getting the vaccine or not is just silly.

Our risk of getting people sick is infinitesimal to the risk of the unvaccinated and uninflected.

Why don’t you turn your considerable influence towards shaming them instead? 

• Fuck You 5

48 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

We have multiple reinfected/unvaccinated patients in my hospital's COVID ICU. Delta doesn't give a fuck about the COVID you had in the winter. Please get vaccinated. I will venmo you $20 to do it.

Truly, thank you for your service, and thank you for your concern.

I’m going to bow out of this discussion.

I believe I have solid data from the Emory University study that tells me I don’t have much to worry about after having contracted a mild case of Covid, and on the other hand, solid anecdotal evidence from many of you that think otherwise.

We would just go round and round arguing about it, and there is no point in that. It is tiresome and I suspect no side would sway the other to their point of view.

I hope for good outcomes for all of you that I’ve interacted with on this thread.

Peace to you. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 8

Volunteered for a support project for work out of town about a month ago.  3 of us would go in subsequent weeks and part of the 'application process' was disclosing not only your job skills/ specializations, but also vaccination status.  Possibly for another thread, but I had not disclosed to my employer that I was vaccinated on our daily surveys.  They have an option that I would choose "prefer not to say."   The need for this support was such that I felt it was important enough to let them know I had taken the shot. So, out of the three of us, one was not vaccinated.

I am casually friends with him on FB and do not know him really well.  I'm just looking around last night and discover a thread where all of these people are wishing dude recovery and to get out of the hospital.  He is in ICU with pneumonia from Covid.  His wife has it too, but is not hospitalized.  I think his sons are 14-15 years old.  That's all i could think of is their boys growing up without a dad for a reason the shot would have most seriously have addressed.  Maybe I'm just slow( insert 'slorched' here) but this is the first time I really wanted to ask someone why the fuck they haven't taken the shot.  My guess is that this situation, while harrowing and possibly still tragic; will have a huge effect upon our workgroup.  

I disagree with almost all of the politicization of this bullshit, and yes, it's been leveraged AF by both sides for some completely non- public health reasons.  I have had some exchanges on here with the emotional tie-ins/ responses to being vaccinated.  I talk plenty of shit on here and I own the responses I get.  Many times I just want people to see it from a different perspective.  Some do.  Some don't.  Some don't give a fuck, either way.  My personal POV is that regardless of the manipulation and control being done politically, getting the shot(s) was the right decision for me and my wife, given the daily interaction with the public in our ( different fields) jobs.  I still feel that way.  I have shared it among friends that this is my stance-  after all of the back-and-forth, arguing, and what-not; getting vaccinated is still the right thing to do.  How we talk about it might vary, but we'll be around to do so.  Sorry, I want to stick around to fuck with y'all...

Did Pfizer or Moderna tweak the mRNA sequence for Delta for the 3rd round booster shots or are they just going to give everyone their OG? If the latter, I might be inclined to cross over and get a different company’s vax for #3 if they have a slightly different protection modality. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Ok, Cap’n, I’ll play.
Of course I love seeing more sick people. Who doesn’t?
Don’t be fatuous  
I previously, upthread, explained and provided a link that made it clear why I didn’t think I needed a vaccine at this time. I had Covid in February. I have tons of antibodies. And T and B cell immunity.
Don’t just read YOUR Twitter feed. Read the link I posted from Emory University. They are clear that people that have been previously infected retain robust antibodies.
Or, maybe you actually believe that I truly am stupid and desire to kill people because I have made a rational ( to me ) decision that I don’t need to get the vaccine at this time. Based on the best info I’ve seen. You think that - U R dumb  
All this angst about infected people getting the vaccine or not is just silly.
Our risk of getting people sick is infinitesimal to the risk of the unvaccinated and uninflected.
Why don’t you turn your considerable influence towards shaming them instead? 

Every reputable scientist thinks immunity will wane over time. Delta or lambda in October will not give a shit about your February infection. At best, you are better protected than not having been infected. But you comparing that event to a recent two shot vaccine as a measure of future protection is just stupid and wrong.

We know more every day. Why do you chose to stop your fact input at older info?
  • Hook 'Em 2

Anti vax friend of mine was texting me how his son had to sign waiver to get out of a vaccine at his college.

I checked out the college website because I was curious how the kid lied on the waiver. Perhaps claiming he was Amish or something. Yes, the college requires vaccines for all staff and students. Waivers available for those with medical issues, religious exemptions AND those with personal beliefs against the vaccine. WTF. Personal beliefs against the vaccine is an out?

basically there isn’t a requirement. This makes me realize that if you read about a college or employer requiring the vaccine, you need to see fine print.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Anti vax friend of mine was texting me how his son had to sign waiver to get out of a vaccine at his college.

I checked out the college website because I was curious how the kid lied on the waiver. Perhaps claiming he was Amish or something. Yes, the college requires vaccines for all staff and students. Waivers available for those with medical issues, religious exemptions AND those with personal beliefs against the vaccine. WTF. Personal beliefs against the vaccine is an out?

basically there isn’t a requirement. This makes me realize that if you read about a college or employer requiring the vaccine, you need to see fine print.

You are absolutely required to get the vaccine unless you don’t want to.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

You are absolutely required to get the vaccine unless you don’t want to.  

That waiver probably comes with a hold harmless acknowledgment so that they won’t win if they or their family decide to sue the school after they get covid and run up a big medical bill and/or die. 

sounds like a cya from the school and nothing more. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

12 year old had a sore throat on Friday morning and a low grade fever earlier today of 100.x. Got him booked for a test tomorrow to see what we’re dealing with and if I need to inform my employer of exposure.  He and his brother have been fully vaxed for a couple of months. Wife and I are at 5 months. If it is covid, it’s not doing much to him.  I hope the same would be true for all of us. 

His fever went away very quickly so we cancelled the visit and instead got some at home tests and I administered it just now with a negative result.  Glad of that, and glad we didn’t bring him and myself into a clinic and risk exposure during diagnosis- especially if they would have used the nasal swab test anyway. 

still trying to work through how I feel about him getting a bug of some sort despite our masking and distancing efforts. Unless there was some sort of high allergen in the air this week enough to cause a fever reaction. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

His fever went away very quickly so we cancelled the visit and instead got some at home tests and I administered it just now with a negative result.  Glad of that, and glad we didn’t bring him and myself into a clinic and risk exposure during diagnosis- especially if they would have used the nasal swab test anyway. 

still trying to work through how I feel about him getting a bug of some sort despite our masking and distancing efforts. Unless there was some sort of high allergen in the air this week enough to cause a fever reaction. 

Good to hear he’s better and tested negative.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Fuck off with this “politicized by both sides for non public health reasons” and “manipulation and control being done politically” bullshit.

“Everyone should get vaccinated to protect themselves and everyone around them and thus the rest of society” is 100% a public health position, not politicized manipulation.

Trauma Babe isn’t offering to pay for people to get the vax because she thinks it will turn them into a Democrat. It’s not to win votes, or score political points on talk radio. It’s in the interest of public health. Full stop. That’s it.

The financial packages by Congress are chock full of it.  It's a symptom of why people distrust "the system."

You're not remotely explaining that away, nor do I expect you to.

We do not disagree that people need to be vaccinated.

Edited by slorch

The financial packages by Congress are chock full of it.  It's a symptom of why people distrust "the system."
You're not remotely explaining that away, nor do I expect you to.

Wait….the government….offering incentives and support for the most massive PUBLIC health task in decades…is “politicizing” the issue and an effort to “manipulate and control?” What the actual fuck? PUBLIC HEALTH IS ONE OF THE CORE FUNCTIONS OF GOVERNMENT. It’s as “political” as providing fire protection, and public sanitation such as sewage treatment.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Wait….the government….offering incentives and support for the most massive PUBLIC health task in decades…is “politicizing” the issue and an effort to “manipulate and control?” What the actual fuck? PUBLIC HEALTH IS ONE OF THE CORE FUNCTIONS OF GOVERNMENT. It’s as “political” as providing fire protection, and public sanitation such as sewage treatment.

You're never going to admit what else is in these massive spending bills.   That's fine.

You wanna try and understand why people are hesitant?  nope.  "Comply goddammit!"  from one of the more outspoken anti-authoritarians on this board.  That approach is sure to win people over.

"If you just do this, everything will be OK..."

Edited by slorch

4 minutes ago, slorch said:

You're never going to admit what else is in these massive spending bills.   That's fine.

You wanna try and understand why people are hesitant?  nope.  "Comply goddammit!"  from one of the more outspoken anti-authoritarians on this board.  That approach is sure to win people over.

Give us all the nefarious stuff in those bills that makes the vaccine a supposed both sides issue? You can claim, stupidly and erroneously, that Covid has been politicized by each side but the vaccine, and efforts to get people vaccinated, are not political.

There is zero logical reason why anyone is hesitant to get vaccinated and anyone who is attempting to give them excuses is part of the problem. The time for attempting to understand you stupid fucks ended a long time ago and about half a million dead people ago.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

You can’t imagine how frustrated I am that we have to yell the functional equivalent of “stop drinking raw sewage?” That’s not “comply, Goddamit!” It’s “stop being so fucking stupid that you’re killing yourselves and harming those around you.”

Yes, “if you just do this, everything will be okay” applies, and applies to LOTS of things. If you just….avoid drinking filthy water, don’t use gasoline as a charcoal starter, don’t huff paint, etc….then yes, you’ll be MUCH better off. And when it comes to such advice about infectious diseases, EVERYONE ELSE will be much better off, too.

Don’t drink shit water.
Get the vaccine.

Simple truths. Yet we face toddler-level oppositional defiance because “you can’t make me!”, and I’M the asshole? That’s fucking rich.
  • Hook 'Em 9

2 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Every reputable scientist thinks immunity will wane over time. Delta or lambda in October will not give a shit about your February infection. At best, you are better protected than not having been infected. But you comparing that event to a recent two shot vaccine as a measure of future protection is just stupid and wrong.

We know more every day. Why do you chose to stop your fact input at older info?

Does anyone deny that immunity will wane? Of course you’re more likely to get reinfected a year out than two weeks after you have covid. 

There are no definitive sources on reinfection risk yet, but again the Uk national survey showed that over 15 months, including the beginning of July, the reinfection risk was 1%. The risk of having a high viral load based on Ct when tested was like 0.3%.

I’m amazed by the vitriol for the people that say they don’t need to get vaccinated after having covid. Everyone must do everything possible for ANY reduction in covid risk? I can’t wait for the 3 shotters to turn on the 2 shotters. 

• Fuck You 13

40 minutes ago, slorch said:

I know why people are hesitant. It’s the fact that they’re stupid. I don’t really care and I’m not worried about their feelings or convincing them of anything. That won’t work. What needs to happen is there should be consequences for not getting vaccinated just like there are consequences if you don’t wear a seat belt or drink and drive.  No vaccination? Then no air travel and no job either unless there’s a good medical reason. 

I grew up in the 70s and 80s and when I first started riding in cars nobody wore a seat belt and everyone drove around drunk because there weren’t any consequences for it. Now there are and everyone wears a seat belt and most people don’t drive drunk despite muh freedumbs. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

We've gone over this several times already. Delta and Gamma both can re-infect previously infected people and appear to do so readily, some of the other variants likely as well. The only place in the world we have good data for this is Amazonas province in Brazil.

They had ~75% anti-bodies detected in blood sampling, but Gamma was worse than the first wave, suggesting a high rate of re-infection. 

We don't know what the re-infection rate for the delta variant will be until after it has re-infected enough people to measure it, but it's going to be a fuck-load higher than 1%. GRHorn is going to continue to spout this number anyway.   

On 8/1/2021 at 2:30 PM, Pods said:

We don't have a lot of data for this on delta yet, it's coming in now. So our best bet is to look at Gamma, which doesn't spread quite as quickly as Delta. Amazonas province in Brazil was crushed by two waves of covid, the second after reaching theoretical herd immunity. 

The first wave peaked in April 2020 with a long tailing off period. Based on blood sampling, by October 2020 approximately 76% of the population had contracted the original wuhan strain of Covid, or one of two slightly mutated, but still close versions, which replaced the original wuhan strain in ~June 2020. Note: this puts them well over the 70% herd immunity number that gets thrown around frequently. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7857406/

Gamma originated in the region, sometime around November 2020, when 3/4 of the population had already been infected. By the end of Dec 2020, they had passed their previous hospitalization peak. 

image.png.b7b8dacec90c1d9e33d33bee5ca63ea4.png

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7906746/ 

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-021-01378-7

1895188844_Fig1.png.38623ed399f78ab9d77bbb4e4b042928.png

Edited by Pods
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

It is way past time to stop catering to these anti-vaxxer idiots. If you don’t have the vaccine you don’t get on the plane. If you don’t have the vaccine and don’t have a medical excuse you’re fired. If you don’t have the vaccine you don’t get to go to restaurants, cruises, concerts, bars, etc. And when the vaccine is authorized for under 12, you don’t have the vaccine little Johnny doesn’t get to go to a public school.  Same as many other vaccines that are not politicized. 

Fuck these people. Because while it’s bad now it is very likely to get much worse this fall and winter. 

I’m on your side, but FYI, parents can send their kids to public school without any vaccinations. Just an easy little card to fill out, stating a strongly held belief…etc.
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Wow that’s infuriating. What’s the fucking point if the college lists “personal beliefs against the vaccine” as an exemption? When I worked with high school seniors, we always had to make sure the colleges had a copy of their Bacterial Meningitis vaccination records and no one ever batted an eye and I believe they all had very limited exemptions. Colleges have been requiring vaccines for years and no one thought anything of it until now. Fucking idiotic.

• Hook 'Em 2

Well shit is hitting the fan for us.  My gf just got a text from her sister that their aunt and uncle tested positive. They are in Alaska, hardcore trumpers and hoax shit hardcore. They went out a few days ago to a birthday dinner packed in Anchorage but told the sister that had felt bad for a week. He is 76 and she is 68 (I think) he also survived throat cancer like 6 years ago that was pretty rough on him from what I have heard. Their family group text last night turned into vaccine talk and the last message the aunt sent was "if I die then that is because God wants me home." Just fucking insane.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

We also already covered this kids don't get Covid bullshit. Kids are getting sick in much larger numbers than before. Even if Delta does not have increased severity over alpha, or the wuhan strain, it is much more infectious and this is going to be a lot of hospitalized kids.

Louisiana currently has over 6,000 positive tests kids. 3,439 kids were positive tests in single 4-day span. 

https://www.wdsu.com/article/more-than-3000-louisiana-children-test-positive-for-covid-19-in-just-four-days/37246194#

Florida and Texas are going to be right on their heels. 

Doesn't it make y'all curious why GRHorn comes on here downplaying the threat all day, every day? Why he has spent the last 18 months hijacking conversations? Why he is continually bringing up evidence regarding the Alpha and Wuhan variants, that is obviously no longer relevant due to viral evolution of the pathogen, trying to further downplay the risk?

20 hours ago, Pods said:

2) 45,000 kids have been hospitalized and tons of transmission have occurred between kids and adults.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/07/health/children-covid-19-protection/index.html

Delta spreads readily between kids and is a serious threat to kids. We've already lost ~400, which y'all say is a small number, but that's some fucking comfort to the families of those kids and the ones that are about to die.  

https://www.businessinsider.com/delta-variant-covid-risk-to-children-kids-2021-6?op=1

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2021/08/04/a-new-study-documents-efficient-covid-19-transmission-from-infected-children-and-adolescents-to-household-contacts/?sh=47f37a42282d

So you can stop pushing your disinformation now, but you won't. 

Everyone who is eligible needs to mask up and vaccinate. Everyone. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Well shit is hitting the fan for us.  My gf just got a text from her sister that their aunt and uncle tested positive. They are in Alaska, hardcore trumpers and hoax shit hardcore. They went out a few days ago to a birthday dinner packed in Anchorage but told the sister that had felt bad for a week. He is 76 and she is 68 (I think) he also survived throat cancer like 6 years ago that was pretty rough on him from what I have heard. Their family group text last night turned into vaccine talk and the last message the aunt sent was "if I die then that is because God wants me home." Just fucking insane.

Gritty looks on, drooling, at the ready. 

2 minutes ago, Pods said:

Doesn't it make y'all curious why GRHorn comes on here downplaying the threat all day, every day? Why he has spent the last 18 months hijacking conversations and is now repeatedly bringing up evidence regarding the Alpha and Wuhan variants that is obviously no longer relevant due to viral evolution of the pathogen to further downplay the risk?

Because that’s what he’s paid to do. Some people will do anything for a buck. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pods said:

We also already covered this kids don't get Covid bullshit. Kids are getting sick in much larger numbers than before. Even if Delta does not have increased severity over alpha, or the wuhan strain, it is much more infectious and this is going to be a lot of hospitalized kids.

Louisiana currently has over 6,000 hospitalized kids. 3,439 kids were hospitalized in single 4-day span. 

https://www.wdsu.com/article/more-than-3000-louisiana-children-test-positive-for-covid-19-in-just-four-days/37246194#

Doesn't it make y'all curious why GRHorn comes on here downplaying the threat all day, every day? Why he has spent the last 18 months hijacking conversations? Why he is continually bringing up evidence regarding the Alpha and Wuhan variants, that is obviously no longer relevant due to viral evolution of the pathogen, trying to further downplay the risk?

Why do we still let him post here

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

I know you’re just the messenger but very frustrating that a couple that feels ill decide to stick to their dinner reservations. It’s bad enough that people refuse the vaccine and masks but you at least hope they will isolate themselves if they feel sick.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pods said:

Louisiana currently has over 6,000 hospitalized kids. 3,439 kids were hospitalized in single 4-day span. 

Looks like you’re actually the liar.  Click on the link. It’s not 3,439 hospitalized in 4 days. It’s 3,439 tested positive in 4 days. Also an interesting quote here. 

Dr. Billy Lanarze with Ochsner said Wednesday the majority of pediatric COVID-19 patients hospitalized were actually admitted for a different medical reason. 

He said critical care for COVID-19 pediatric patients is still rare, but as the virus spreads widely among children, he expects the number of children seriously ill from the virus to also increase.

I wonder if that holds true for these 45,000 hospitalizations in 15 months nationwide? 

Also you keep bringing up the Amazon rainforest. That is the one instance of potential mass Reinfection. Why hasn’t it happened anywhere else? Has that variant not made it around the world in 6 months since then? The fact is that the Uk and Israel data I’ve stated included at least portions of the Delta outbreak in their communities. 

• Fuck You 9

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Why do we still let him post here

He's been banned at least twice and just pops up under a new username. As long as he has a VPN, I don't think there is anything the mods can do permanently. 

It's on us to recognize that it's a problem and to be vigilant for it. 

2 minutes ago, Pods said:

He's been banned at least twice and just pops up under a new username. As long as he has a VPN, I don't think there is anything the mods can do permanently. 

It's on us to recognize that it's a problem and to be vigilant for it. 

I’ve only been banned once. 

Perhaps you should focus your vigilance on your own posts. See my previous post. 

• Fuck You 11

I was shocked by the number of people I know that aren’t getting the vaccine. Whether it’s microchips, infertility or even Bill Gates; I’ve heard all of the excuses. They can’t source the information, even though I’m genuinely curious and trying my best to not be combative. I hate the idea of mandating the vaccine, but I hate the idea of responsible adults refusing the vaccine even more. It’s the best of two bad ideas. 

I’m beyond frustrated that my 5 year old son may be forced to wear a mask to kindergarten this fall. He has struggled with the letter R and L and seeing his teacher sound out words is an essential tool in clearing up this issue. Oh well, I guess when the speech pathologist bill comes due I can comfort myself knowing that the unvaccinated are stopping the spread of communism. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, Muy Frio said:

Looks like you’re actually the liar.  Click on the link. It’s not 3,439 hospitalized in 4 days. It’s 3,439 tested positive in 4 days. Also an interesting quote here. 

Also you keep bringing up the Amazon rainforest. That is the one instance of potential mass Reinfection. Why hasn’t it happened anywhere else? Has that variant not made it around the world in 6 months since then? The fact is that the Uk and Israel data I’ve stated included at least portions of the Delta outbreak in their communities. 

I mis-read it on my way out the door. It does say positive cases, not hospitalizations. It's still a fuckload of kids testing positive. It won't let me edit it, so I'm going to have to leave it with the mistake. I've asked the mods to change it, because I don't want to leave accidental misinformation on the board.  

Delta arose in Nov 2020 and is just getting here. Fortunately, these variants have all taken a while to get entrenched in the west. 

Edited by Pods

21 minutes ago, Pods said:

Umm… you are making shit up. Jesus. 

Article: According to Edwards, more than 6,000 Louisiana children now have COVID-19. 

You;Louisiana currently has over 6,000 hospitalized kids.3,439 kids were hospitalized in single 4-day span. 

Edit - you are as bad as my wife getting all worked up because she read an article that misstated (intentionally lied for clicks?) that 16k kids had been hospitalized last month, when in fact it was over the entire pandemic. 

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Muy Frio said:

Dr. Billy Lanarze with Ochsner said Wednesday the majority of pediatric COVID-19 patients hospitalized were actually admitted for a different medical reason. 

He said critical care for COVID-19 pediatric patients is still rare, but as the virus spreads widely among children, he expects the number of children seriously ill from the virus to also increase.

I wonder if that holds true for these 45,000 hospitalizations in 15 months nationwide? 

Also you keep bringing up the Amazon rainforest. That is the one instance of potential mass Reinfection. Why hasn’t it happened anywhere else? Has that variant not made it around the world in 6 months since then?

You always have so many bullshit questions and are a master at making distinctions without a difference. 

You’ve only been banned once because we’re a tolerant bunch. But you were such an ass you managed to get banned anyway. 

Fuck off troll. 

1 minute ago, UT_OB1 said:

Umm… you are making shit up. Jesus. 

Article: According to Edwards, more than 6,000 Louisiana children now have COVID-19. 

You;Louisiana currently has over 6,000 hospitalized kids.3,439 kids were hospitalized in single 4-day span. 

Previous post bro. Misread it on the way out the door to run errands. 

Is your gf Mexican? Because my grandma said the exact same thing.