COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

27 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Had Covid in January, got my second shot in late April. Kinda wondering if I’ll need a 3rd round this year. Probably just look at the Pfizer studies that come out and give me the data. Not listening to the CDC any longer. 

I got J&J in March. I'm really hoping for some guidance there because it's the most regarded of the vaccines

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Enchubben said:

So how exactly are you supposed to get tested these days? All of the CVS and Walgreens locations seem to have zero appointments available. Vaccinated wife probably has a cold but because she is bitching so much I’m making her take a test. 

You might be able to find a take home test inside of a CVS but you just have to keep looking for appointments or find a drive up and wait a long time

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/6/2021 at 1:09 PM, Captainant said:

weren't you cheerleading for people not to get vaxxed if they had been previously infected? I recall that being the tenor of this thread in early July.

Also the end of July. Pages 101 and 102. 

Being completely wrong about it doesn't stop him from coming on here and downplaying a 60% reduction in risk for vaccinated patients, because he isn't arguing in good faith. 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

So how exactly are you supposed to get tested these days? All of the CVS and Walgreens locations seem to have zero appointments available. Vaccinated wife probably has a cold but because she is bitching so much I’m making her take a test. 

Wife was sick all week and wanted to be sure before we did all the start of school stuff.  Paid $50 at a doc on box place. She showed up as it opened and was 21st in line. By the time they got to her a half hour later they weren’t taking any more appts. That was Wednesday.  She had an appt at Walgreens but they canceled it on her the night before. 

59 minutes ago, Pods said:

Look, it's important for you to realize that GRHorn/Muy Frio is not anti-vaccine in general. He'll tell you so over and over. 

He's just opposed to vaccination in virtually every specific situation yet proposed. 

Situations that I’m skeptical on the current need for covid vaccination.

Previously infected. 
ages 12-18 (Especially males) 

That’s it. That’s the list. 

It would appear that you’re the liar.

29 minutes ago, Pods said:

Being completely wrong about it doesn't stop him from coming on here and downplaying a 60% reduction in risk for vaccinated patients, because he isn't arguing in good faith. 

I’ve always said I assumed vaccination added a small amount of protection to natural immunity, but that you’re starting at such an absolute low level of risk that it’s not really that attractive. 

Also, here’s me on page 102. 

On 7/31/2021 at 3:21 PM, Muy Frio said:

I don’t question the need for most people to get vaccinated. I question the need for those with prior infection to get vaccinated, especially teens and eventually younger children. 

• Fuck You 4

There was nothing available to schedule for a few days, and even those were multiple day result type tests.  Third pharmacy I checked had take home tests so I’m going that route.

Crossing my fingers for aggressive case of delta covid so I run the chance of participating in the sugar baby thread in a month or two.

Edited by Enchubben
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Update for the J&J folks on here.

South African single dose J&J study showed it did reasonably well against Beta and Delta in a real world setting with 480,000 health care workers. Good news regarding hospitalizations and deaths, though a little below the mRNA numbers.

No idea on transmission rate though, so still mask up and keep your viral loads low. 

The single-dose shot was 71% effective against hospitalization and as much as 96% effective against death, she said. It also demonstrated durability of eight months.

https://time.com/6088040/johnson-jj-shot-delta-variant/

• Hook 'Em 2

Was just chatting with a nurse friend who is also a nurse practitioner so not just a lvn etc.  She's been doing NICU at Methodist in SA forever and is getting lots of covid babies.   She wants a third shot and told me since my first two are off the record to get a third tomorrow.   

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Had Covid in January, got my second shot in late April. Kinda wondering if I’ll need a 3rd round this year. Probably just look at the Pfizer studies that come out and give me the data. Not listening to the CDC any longer. 

I mean, he's an athletic director.  Best listen to the medical community for advice on this.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Muy Frio said:

Previously infected. 

That’s it. That’s the list. 

It would appear that you’re the liar.

I’ve always said I assumed vaccination added a small amount of protection to natural immunity, but that you’re starting at such an absolute low level of risk that it’s not really that attractive. 

Also, here’s me on page 102. 

Do we really need to bring up your posts under your prior handle to prove what a liar you are?

Why do you post here?

• Hook 'Em 1

GRUhorn/muyfrio plus all his other random handles is a proven liar, spreads disinformation whenever he can and should never be trusted no matter what. He is trying to act more reasonable now because he’s been exposed as a total fraud after the GRUHorn handle got crowdsourced but don’t fall for it. He is an evil Facebook/Twitter paid spreader of disinformation and is personally responsible for thousands of American deaths, at least. All so he can pay his rent in his crappy apartment.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 year old had a sore throat on Friday morning and a low grade fever earlier today of 100.x. Got him booked for a test tomorrow to see what we’re dealing with and if I need to inform my employer of exposure.  He and his brother have been fully vaxed for a couple of months. Wife and I are at 5 months. If it is covid, it’s not doing much to him.  I hope the same would be true for all of us. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Walgreens has a take home antigen test from BinaxNOW. 2 tests for 20, results in 15 min

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Walgreens has a take home antigen test from BinaxNOW. 2 tests for 20, results in 15 min

Yep eventually found that exact item at Kroger, CVS and Walgreens were both out.  She tested negative but I’m sure she’ll still bitch for the next few days.

• Haha 4

30 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

+1 to these tests. They're better than nothing, fast, and relatively cheap. Gave me great peace of mind before and after my dad's memorial service, can't recommend those test highly enough 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Pods said:

Virtually every post you've made on this topic since Jan 2020 has been undercutting public health guidelines and/or vaccines.  

1) The article YOU posted from the CDC says vaccination of previously infected reduces their odds of contracting Covid by 60%, so you can stop disinformation on that one. 

2) 45,000 kids have been hospitalized and tons of transmission have occurred between kids and adults.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/07/health/children-covid-19-protection/index.html

Delta spreads readily between kids and is a serious threat to kids. We've already lost ~400, which y'all say is a small number, but that's some fucking comfort to the families of those kids and the ones that are about to die.  

https://www.businessinsider.com/delta-variant-covid-risk-to-children-kids-2021-6?op=1

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2021/08/04/a-new-study-documents-efficient-covid-19-transmission-from-infected-children-and-adolescents-to-household-contacts/?sh=47f37a42282d

So you can stop pushing your disinformation now, but you won't. 

Everyone who is eligible needs to mask up and vaccinate. Everyone. 

I may be missing something but why are you quoting articles on infections in children when he is specifically talking about need to vaccinate teens and children who have had covid and recovered? That’s a wall of text, does any of it address reinfection rates in teens or children, and if so does it discuss severity of illness? The only study I have seen shows reinfection rate < 1% for recovered patients who had severe illness. 

7 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I may be missing something but why are you quoting articles on infections in children when he is specifically talking about need to vaccinate teens and children who have had covid and recovered? That’s a wall of text, does any of it address reinfection rates in teens or children, and if so does it discuss severity of illness? The only study I have seen shows reinfection rate < 1% for recovered patients who had severe illness. 

You are missing something. He is questioning two different things, 1) whether previously infected people need to vaccinate, 2) the need to vaccinate anyone from age 12-18, but especially males.  

He is still pushing the false argument that Covid doesn't impact kids. Hence the wall of text, as you put it, showing that kids contract Covid, that they are getting sick in larger numbers than before, and that they can transmit it to adults. 

Edited by Pods
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Pods said:

the need to vaccinate anyone from age 12-18, but especially males.

I don’t think this is correct:

4 hours ago, Muy Frio said:

I question the need for those with prior infection to get vaccinated, especially teens and eventually younger children. 

Pretty clear he is including teens and children as a subgroup of the prior infected group 

also wrt the relative risk study from CDC I can’t find the absolute risk of either group. That is pretty important to know to know whether an extra 60% reduction is clinical significant 

7 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I don’t think this is correct:

Pretty clear he is including teens and children as a subgroup of the prior infected group 

also wrt the relative risk study from CDC I can’t find the absolute risk of either group. That is pretty important to know to know whether an extra 60% reduction is clinical significant 

He's been trolling and downplaying the risk to kids the entire pandemic under two different user names now. He lumped them together in that post and separated them as two separate things at others, including the one I was quoting. 

Previously infected. 

He doesn't list it as a subset, he lists it as a separate "situation" that he is also opposed to. 

I think it's pretty obvious what his agenda is, but it's not worth you and I arguing over a troll and derailing the conversation any further. 

Edited by Pods
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

We don't have to pretend GRHorn doesn't have an extensive posting history here. 

On 7/19/2021 at 1:56 PM, GRHorn said:

So vaccinate kids with a novel vaccine under emergency use authorization for a disease that rarely causes them serious harm, that they don’t spread as much as adults, to protect adults. That is a truly warped, selfish view.

Tell me you don’t have kids, without telling me you don’t have kids. 

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Pods said:

He's been trolling and downplaying the risk to kids the entire pandemic under two different user names now. He lumped them together in that post and separated them as two separate things at others, including the one I was quoting. 

He doesn't list it as a subset, he lists it as a separate "situation" that he is also opposed to. 

I think it's pretty obvious what his agenda is, but it's not worth you and I arguing over a troll and derailing the conversation any further. 

It’s interesting that you say I’ve downplayed the risk to kids when one of the few things I think we’ve learned is the risk to kids has been overplayed. Schools should’ve been open for in person the whole time outside of maybe two weeks last March. 

2 minutes ago, lmao said:

What is your medical background? Honest question. 

He’s a professor at the Med school at Guadalaharvard. 

• Fuck You 8

24 minutes ago, lmao said:

What is your medical background? Honest question. 

As I posted up thread, I'm not a medical doctor. Most people on here already know that. I have graduate degrees in Anatomy and Evolutionary Biology. 

I've taught medical school, dental school, PT/OT, PA and nurse anesthesiologists. 

Edited by Pods
  • Hook 'Em 5

You might be able to find a take home test inside of a CVS but you just have to keep looking for appointments or find a drive up and wait a long time

CVS and Walgreens on Anderson were sold out but the WalMart had a big stack of them directly across from the pharmacy counter. Kinda sums up the customer base. They don’t give a shit about a test.

6 hours ago, Pods said:

I agree with Muy Frio on one point - about not getting worked up about people that don’t get vaccinated after a previous infection.

You know you are arguing about 60% benefit for 1% of the population. Not 60% of the whole population.

60% of 1% is minuscule compared to 60% of the unvaccinated/unexposed.

I’m in good health, had Covid in February. Very mild, and from my research, I believe that I should have antibodies and T and B cells that will minimize any effects on me if I should be exposed to  it again any time soon. One example:

https://news.emory.edu/stories/2021/07/covid_survivors_resistance/index.html

I think we should concentrate on getting shots into the arms of the truly unprotected, and not demonize previously infected people like me that have made a rational decision to defer a booster until it is needed. 

Edited by Victor Lazlo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2

4 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Thanks for letting us know you’re an idiot. No wonder you agree with him.

it would take a grand total of 2 seconds for you to get a shot. For free. There are plenty of anti vaxxer idiots in this country so you wouldn’t be taking one away from them.

Its pretty well documented you can get Covid more than once. So maybe you should look into that. But you won’t. 

You know how I know you don’t do math good?

• Fuck You 2

18 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Because I don’t get my info from Facebook like you do?

Damn, JJ, I thought you were a reasonable person, but maybe not.

I put the link to the Emory University study in my original post.

If you choose not to read it  - ok, but to go in with the Facebook trope is just lazy.

• Fuck You 1

36 minutes ago, Victor Lazlo said:

You know how I know you don’t do math good?

1 hour ago, Victor Lazlo said:

IYou know you are arguing about 60% benefit for 1% of the population. Not 60% of the whole population.

Covid cases in US - 35.8 MM

Covid deaths in US - 0.616 MM

Covid recoveries in US - 35.8-.616 = 35.184MM

Population of US = 328.2

% of US population that are Covid survivors - 35.184/328.2 = 10.7%.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

Covid cases in US - 35.8 MM

Covid deaths in US - 0.616 MM

Covid recoveries in US - 35.8-.616 = 35.184MM

Population of US = 328.2

% of US population that are Covid survivors - 35.184/328.2 = 10.7%.

That’s not what the discussion was about.

It was about the 1% of previously infected that got a reinfection.

And that a vaccine would mitigate that 1% by a factor of 60%. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2