Caden Sterns Opts Out for the Rest of the Season

Hiphopopotamos

15 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, I was going to say, those guys were steady, standout performers their whole time here, if sometimes limited by scheme or coaching. 

Okafor had the same number of standout years that Sterns did.

Roach was not at all a "steady standout performer". 

Either way, I didn't say those guys were the same thing as Sterns. I said that all of those guys outperformed their expectations because they were poorly coached at Texas and received good coaching in the NFL. Anyone want to address that or we just gonna do the straw man thing?

Funny how we all know that Herman has failed his team and his players with terrible coaching and schemes, but we selectively give passes to guys like Ehlinger who have regressed but not guys like Sterns.

"You think Sam has regressed? Obviously that's the idiot coaches!"

"Sterns has regressed? DEFINITELY NOT THE COACHES HE'S A LAZY POS!!!!"

Hmm.

Edited by BradInATX

I'm not sure he'd see the field at LSU due to his limited speed and size.

People paint a rosier picture of his freshman year than what it was. He was good for a frosh but average or maybe even less so for any other classification. The other DBs probably masked his limitations. Boyd was vastly underappreciated here. Like him or not, he'd often take half the field. Jones covered a lot of ground too. That being said most freshman DBs are not good because they're too inconsistent.

That being said it's hard too see the improvement. TCU - 3rd and 8. We make the stop. We get the ball back and I bet win. He's the guy who needed to make it. A tackle after 9 yards didn't get the job done. Physicality is not his game but he may be better in the run game than the pass game.

7 hours ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Seeing as we didn't play on Saturday, you could say that for anyone on our roster.

Sterns was our leading tackler on Friday.

The recent mocks I've seen have him going third/fourth round. How? I have no idea.

I mean Quandre Diggs has been a very solid starter in the NFL despite most on this board hating him at the end of his career at Texas.

6 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I'm not sure he'd see the field at LSU due to his limited speed and size.

People paint a rosier picture of his freshman year than what it was. He was good for a frosh but average or maybe even less so for any other classification. The other DBs probably masked his limitations. Boyd was vastly underappreciated here. Like him or not, he'd often take half the field. Jones covered a lot of ground too. That being said most freshman DBs are not good because they're too inconsistent.

That being said it's hard too see the improvement. TCU - 3rd and 8. We make the stop. We get the ball back and I bet win. He's the guy who needed to make it. A tackle after 9 yards didn't get the job done. Physicality is not his game but he may be better in the run game than the pass game.

Caden's biggest strength is his play recognition. I'm sure Corey Raymond at LSU would have found a way to take advantage of that.

Caden's biggest strength is his play recognition. I'm sure Corey Raymond at LSU would have found a way to take advantage of that.
Maybe. Or maybe our S&C is garbage and they get him moving better. I don't think he's a bad tackler. More so than most him being a step quicker would make a huge difference. And maybe the injuries are a primary cause of that too.

Hard to tell how much want to is there. Not a big fan of the Brown flex, but he's plays hard and leaves the impression that he plays hard. Sterns doesn't quite give you that feel.

6 hours ago, Gigglebush said:

I mean Quandre Diggs has been a very solid starter in the NFL despite most on this board hating him at the end of his career at Texas.

I don’t remember hate necessarily, but I do remember him being put in man coverage on some of the tallest WRs in the conference. That was stupid

• Hook 'Em 1

He has great ball skills for a DB.  He's tall with decent length.  His NFL traits stop right there.

He's a below average tackler.  He's terrible in coverage.  He's not physical.  He lacks NFL speed.  I expect him to run a 4.6+ 40 and a bad shuttle time.  He will be lucky to be drafted in the 6th or 7th round.

In addition, get yourselves ready for Overshown to declare.  He actually has elite NFL traits and has enough tape for someone to take flyer on him.  It would be in his best interest to stay another year and develop his skillset further but his family situation may push him to leave this year.  If he does, he will get drafted before Sterns.

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

He has great ball skills for a DB.  He's tall with decent length.  His NFL traits stop right there.

He's a below average tackler.  He's terrible in coverage.  He's not physical.  He lacks NFL speed.  I expect him to run a 4.6+ 40 and a bad shuttle time.  He will be lucky to be drafted in the 6th or 7th round.

In addition, get yourselves ready for Overshown to declare.  He actually has elite NFL traits and has enough tape for someone to take flyer on him.  It would be in his best interest to stay another year and develop his skillset further but his family situation may push him to leave this year.  If he does, he will get drafted before Sterns.

I am actually ok with pretty much this entire squad declaring. More pressure to get rid of Herman.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, victory88 said:

Sterns had an elite shuttle time coming out of HS. I doubt it got much worse after going through college s&c.

20 hours ago, Gigglebush said:

Speaking of Quandre the Giant, I'd love for him to make a guest appearance on a State Farm commercial and knock Pat Mahomes the fuck out again 

On 11/30/2020 at 8:07 PM, immamac said:

What happens if enough players opt out of the season for covid reasons? 

Then the games get cancelled.

I don't have too much of a problem this year with Covid.  But in a regular year, its pretty shitty to quit on your team before the season is out (non playoff bowl games don't really count as part of the season).

Not someone I would be particularly interested in drafting.

Edited by bullet