Caden Sterns Opts Out for the Rest of the Season

Hiphopopotamos

Have players opted out and then tried to return next year like sorry I opted out/quit on the team near the end of last year?   My memory clearly sucks.

I understand opting out for the draft when your team goals vanish.  I can even understand opting into a season ending surgery of some kind so you can start the process of rehab sooner rather than later, but I don't think that would be a player opting out.  

15 minutes ago, deech said:

Have players opted out and then tried to return next year like sorry I opted out/quit on the team near the end of last year?   My memory clearly sucks.

Didn't BJ Foster do that during the first game and come back the next day? So yes.

Edited by vtaenz

23 minutes ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

He didn't look interested in tackling this past Saturday.

Well...bye.

Seeing as we didn't play on Saturday, you could say that for anyone on our roster.

Sterns was our leading tackler on Friday.

22 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

NFL Scouts watching his film: 

michael jordan laughing GIF

The recent mocks I've seen have him going third/fourth round. How? I have no idea.

Edited by ChampionshipLevelPiss

33 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Per IT - no idea if its for the draft or if he'll return next season.

By: Justin Wells and Bobby Burton

Inside Texas has learned that junior safety Caden Sterns is expected to announce that he is opting opt for the remainder of the season, according to two sources.

It is unclear if Sterns will return next season or declare early for the NFL draft.

Sterns strikes me as the kind of guy who is going to get drafted in the mid-rounds, turn into a solid player, and everyone will be like "woah, how'd he end up being good?". Happens a lot with talented players who get poor coaching. Several of Strong and Herman's guys have had similar arcs - Poona, Roach, Okafor, Elliott, etc. 

When a player shows out in his first year or two then gets worse, that's almost always a coaching issue. Herman's poor coaching eventually crept in and pushed out Sterns' natural instincts and/or prior good coaching. The right NFL coach can unwind that.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Sterns strikes me as the kind of guy who is going to get drafted in the mid-rounds, turn into a solid player, and everyone will be like "woah, how'd he end up being good?"

I'm no NFL scout but what in the world has he put on tape the past 2 years that looks like a mid-round draft pick?  He is flat out average.

Sterns strikes me as the kind of guy who is going to get drafted in the mid-rounds, turn into a solid player, and everyone will be like "woah, how'd he end up being good?". Happens a lot with talented players who get poor coaching. Several of Strong and Herman's guys have had similar arcs - Poona, Roach, Okafor, Elliott, etc. 
When a player shows out in his first year or two then gets worse, that's almost always a coaching issue. Herman's poor coaching eventually crept in and pushed out Sterns' natural instincts and/or prior good coaching. The right NFL coach can unwind that.
Poona was our best dlineman here during his time.
Elliott was a Thorpe candidate.
Roach was in a system that he didn't benefit from. He wasn't terrible though.
Okafor... do you mean Omenihu? Yeah he was our best pass rusher while he was here.

What are you talking about? Maybe these guys weren't drafted where they should have been. But that happens all the time in the NFL. Although with Poona, he was undersized so he was going to be drafted late or not at all. I think most people knew what he could/would be and it's worked out well.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Sterns strikes me as the kind of guy who is going to get drafted in the mid-rounds, turn into a solid player, and everyone will be like "woah, how'd he end up being good?". Happens a lot with talented players

he’s slow and not particularly athletic and he’s a very poor tackler.  don’t know if he fits the bill. 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

I'm no NFL scout but what in the world has he put on tape the past 2 years that looks like a mid-round draft pick?  He is flat out average.

You could have asked this about numerous Texas players over the last decade who are now productive NFL players.

1 minute ago, vtaenz said:

Poona was our best dlineman here during his time.
Elliott was a Thorpe candidate.
Roach was in a system that he didn't benefit from. He wasn't terrible though.
Okafor... do you mean Omenihu? Yeah he was our best pass rusher while he was here.

What are you talking about? Maybe these guys weren't drafted where they should have been. But that happens all the time in the NFL. Although with Poona, he was undersized so he was going to be drafted late or not at all. I think most people knew what he could/would be and it's worked out well.

No, I mean Alex Okafor who has been a very productive player for the Saints and Chiefs.

You think Sterns has been getting good coaching at Texas, eh? That's.. a take.

Just now, BradInATX said:

You could have asked this about numerous Texas players over the last decade who are now productive NFL players.

No.  You couldn't have.   Poona was a badass.  Pretty much everyone thought the NFL absolutely fucked up not drafting him and he proved them right.  Elliot played at an elite level his last year here.  Omenihu was BIg 12 DPOY.   Sterns flat out rarely impact the game.  He's is the poster child for average.   With a shit attitude to boot.  I'll be shocked if he makes an NFL roster.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, futureman said:

he’s slow and not particularly athletic and he’s a very poor tackler.  don’t know if he fits the bill. 

I don't think that "slow and not particularly athletic" is accurate. Tackling can be fixed, though he is a bit slight of frame.

By no means am I saying he's a lock to be successful in the league, but it's beyond stupid to try to project any of Herman's players to the NFL based on what they've done at Texas. They have been taught by an abortion of a coaching staff at Texas. When a player gets worse every year, that means they're learning poor fundamentals and being coached badly. Which we already know.

Time will tell whether some of these guys can be saved by good coaching in the NFL, but it's too early to throw dirty on guys like Sterns.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

No.  You couldn't have.   Poona was a badass.  Pretty much everyone thought the NFL absolutely fucked up not drafting him and he proved them right.  Elliot played at an elite level his last year here.  Omenihu was BIg 12 DPOY.   Sterns flat out rarely impact the game.  He's is the poster child for average.   With a shit attitude to boot.  I'll be shocked if he makes an NFL roster.

Okafor had 12.5 sacks as a senior.  He was first team all big 12 twice and a consensus all american once.  And big 12 DPOY.

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Hook 'Em 2