Caden Sterns Opts Out for the Rest of the Season

Hiphopopotamos

6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Seriously.  Absolutely ridiculous to reference Okafor as a comparison to Sterns.  

Did you even read my actual post or are you just bent out of shape about these guys opting out because they don't have Uncle Rico fantasies like you do, and are  determined to whine and cry? Don't be disingenuous. Okafor was a guy who was drafted in the mid-rounds out of Texas and outperformed his draft position as he's received proper NFL coaching. There's probably a dozen guys that fit this bill. Sterns very well could be the next one. Which was, of course my point.

If you want more direct comparisons of guys who came in with a bunch of hype, looked good early on, and never lived up to their potential at Texas, then you've got Collin Johnson (had 100 yards this week for Jax) and Malcolm Brown, and I'm sure plenty of others that I'm forgretting. Are you going to be petty and dishonest, or actually address the overarching point?

Do you think that Sterns has received good coaching during his career at Texas?

Edited by BradInATX

Just now, BradInATX said:

Did you even read my actual post or are you just bent out of shape about these guys opting out because they don't have Uncle Rico fantasies like you do, and are  determined to whine and cry? Don't be disingenuous. Okafor was a guy who was drafted in the mid-rounds out of Texas and outperformed his draft position as he's received proper NFL coaching. There's probably a dozen guys that fit this bill. Sterns very well could be the next one. Which was, of course my point.

If you want more direct comparisons of guys who came in with a bunch of hype, looked good early on, and never lived up to their potential at Texas, then you've got Collin Johnson (had 100 yards this week for Jax) and Malcolm Brown, and I'm sure plenty of others that I'm forgretting. Are you going to be petty and dishonest, or actually address the overarching point?

Do you think that Sterns has received good coaching during his career at Texas?

Chill Brad.

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

If you want more direct comparisons of guys who came in with a bunch of hype, looked good early on, and never lived up to their potential at Texas, then you've got Collin Johnson (had 100 yards this week for Jax) and Malcolm Brown.

Are you going to be petty and stupid, or actually address the overarching point?

Do you think that Sterns has received good coaching?

My point is that, "good coaching" or not, Sterns has proven to be an AVERAGE FUCKING FOOTBALL PLAYER.   If he played at anything close to an all conference level this season we are probably undefeated.  Every single player you have listed in your posts as a comparison was a significantly better football player at Texas.  Period.  And I can assure you I'm not bent out of shape about him opting out.   Would absolutely prefer to let younger players get reps.  

8 minutes ago, Skipper said:

My point is that, "good coaching" or not, Sterns has proven to be an AVERAGE FUCKING FOOTBALL PLAYER.   If he played at anything close to an all conference level this season we are probably undefeated.  Every single player you have listed in your posts as a comparison was a significantly better football player at Texas.  Period.  And I can assure you I'm not bent out of shape about him opting out.   Would absolutely prefer to let younger players get reps.  

Playing average football and being an average football player are two different things.

Imagine looking at a guy who was incredible as a sophomore then declined each year afterwards and having your first reaction be "this guy is an average football player" instead of "maybe there's external reasons for a very good player declining without major injury, like.. you know... the garbage ass coaching staff we have".

Look, I'm as disappointed as you are. I thought he was going to be a superstar for us. But I also know that it's probably correct to withhold judgement on all of these guys until they have competent leadership around them. Almost every player on this team all the way down to Sam is better than how they've played the past couple of years. Sterns has the talent to be a great player. Way too early to close the book on his career. 

And he will almost definitely be on a roster next year. If Kris Boyd can stick, so can Sterns.

Edited by BradInATX

37 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

And he will almost definitely be on a roster next year. If Kris Boyd can stick, so can Sterns.

Kris Boyd may have been a lot of things but "soft" certainly wasn't one of them.   If you aren't starting in the league you better be willing to lay it on the line on special teams.  I'll stand by my statement I'll be shocked if Sterns is on an NFL roster next year.

• Hook 'Em 1

No, I mean Alex Okafor who has been a very productive player for the Saints and Chiefs.
You think Sterns has been getting good coaching at Texas, eh? That's.. a take.

Alex Okafor was 2x all big 12, big 12 dpoy, and an all american. He was not a secret. My guess is he suffered from the “Texas is soft” reputation that came about in the late Mack years. I don’t think he was getting particularly bad DL coaching.

As for Sterns, wouldn’t surprise me if he ended up a decent NFL player. Clearly it hasn’t been a good fit at Texas. I feel bad for him. Opting out is a weird move if you intend to return, so I assume he’s gone, but he is a mid round guy at best right now. He could really use a good senior year.

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Alex Okafor was 2x all big 12, big 12 dpoy, and an all american. He was not a secret. My guess is he suffered from the “Texas is soft” reputation that came about in the late Mack years.

He had a bad pro day and ran a 4.91 at 260 lbs. He did much better at the combine but still ran a 4.78 which hurt his draft stock I’m sure. 

8 minutes ago, Helobious said:

He’ll probably join the Holton Hill, Kris Boyd, DeShon Elliott, Brandon Jones, and Adrian Phillips club. DBs that largely underwhelmed at UT but are all still in the league. 

Yes - Phillips is probably the closest comparison although he switched positions.  Hill/Boyd/Elliot/Jones may have underwhelmed but all flashed significantly more at Texas.  Phillips went undrafted and grinded out his path after getting cut numerous times.  We'll see if Sterns has that kind of heart.

9 minutes ago, Dilligas said:

His history here is really disappointing, from a pretty spectacular freshman year to now where everyone is trashing him. Hope things come together for him, either here next year under an improved coaching staff or the CFL.

Keep in mind the reason for a good chunk of the blowback is because Sterns had the gall to ask Texas fans to respect Black athletes as humans. I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

He’ll probably join the Holton Hill, Kris Boyd, DeShon Elliott, Brandon Jones, and Adrian Phillips club. DBs that largely underwhelmed at UT but are all still in the league. 

All of those guys showed at Texas that they were capable and competent football players. Big difference. 

I honestly could not care less if every fucking one of these guys leaves. A couple played their hearts out for which I’m appreciative, and I bear the rest no ill will, but holy shit what a bunch of spares. There is no game changing talent apparent anywhere on the field. Maybe it’s coaching, or maybe it’s the entitled culture that seems to have been an issue for 30 years and counting minus the VY and Colt eras, but shit is rotten and I don’t know that anyone currently on campus is likely to be a key component of turning things around. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Keep in mind the reason for a good chunk of the blowback is because Sterns had the gall to ask Texas fans to respect Black athletes as humans. I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

The difference between this thread and the Cosmi thread is stark.

I wonder why.

Just kidding I don't. We all know why.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

The difference between this thread and the Cosmi thread is stark.

I wonder why.

Just kidding I don't. We all know why.

I’m not sure what you are referring to Brad.  But fuck you for going cr.  Sterns is average at football and cosmi is likely 1st or 2nd rounder.   One was on social media and one wasn’t.  Maybe take a fucking lap.  

5 hours ago, vtaenz said:

Poona was our best dlineman here during his time.
Elliott was a Thorpe candidate.
Roach was in a system that he didn't benefit from. He wasn't terrible though.
Okafor... do you mean Omenihu? Yeah he was our best pass rusher while he was here.

What are you talking about? Maybe these guys weren't drafted where they should have been. But that happens all the time in the NFL. Although with Poona, he was undersized so he was going to be drafted late or not at all. I think most people knew what he could/would be and it's worked out well.

Yeah, I was going to say, those guys were steady, standout performers their whole time here, if sometimes limited by scheme or coaching. 

Shame we don’t have a competent coaching staff who can tell this kid “Yeah, maybe not a great idea..” 

Will he even get drafted? ISU was absolutely HUNTING his ass last week. The tackle attempt on the first TD was a joke.

Good luck to him, but won’t shock me if we’re better off with Adimora sliding to safety and getting Cook in at nickel (though he’s probably gone too, lol)

• Hook 'Em 1