Matt Campbell or bust

Bevo14

18 minutes ago, Queen Bitch said:

Eh. I hate when schools poach in-conference. It’s weaksauce

What? Familiarity with the offenses so we don't get to go through DC baptism by fire and bring a conference opponent down a peg. I'm OK with Campbell if it comes to that. Even.if he's not an upgrade over TH years 1-4 (& I think he would be at least a minor upgrade), he's a huge upgrade over neutered TH year 5.

Edited by B00M
  • Hook 'Em 1

How are people not understanding how much of a disadvantage coaching at ISU is compared to a place like UT or OU? It's not just Ames as a city. It's a program with zero history, low budget, no local recruiting pipeline of note, etc. They've been a doormat forever for a reason.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

This is the shit take. ISU had 9 players on the 1st team all B12 team. 

14 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

This is an even worse take. Average ISU recruiting class over the last 4 years is 46th. It's almost as if they were fucking coached up.

I think that says a lot more about how unbelievably shitty the big 12 is, in large part because of how shitty we’ve been. I wonder what the other schools in the big 12 have top recruiting classes. We need a coach with a proven track record. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

How are people not understanding how much of a disadvantage coaching at ISU is compared to a place like UT or OU? It's not just Ames as a city. It's a program with zero history, low budget, no local recruiting pipeline of note, etc. They've been a doormat forever for a reason.

Think about what kind of pressure you’d have you’d be under if you were playing golf with a random group of 4 people with nothing on the line. Now play with that same group of people but you have half of your bank account on the line. That’s the difference in the level of pressure at Iowa state vs Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't understand the comparison to Herman. Louisiana is the only team he's lost to that has distinctly less talent. I feel like he's a 10 win avg minimum type of coach if he comes here. He's playing the same competition we're playing and doing better. Actually their schedule is tougher on paper because they have to play us as well. He has had a bunch of star players that were nobody recruits.

He's not perfect but there's very few coaches that have a better resume that we can get. There's Urban, Brian Kelly, and who else exactly?

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

I don't understand the comparison to Herman. Louisiana is the only team he's lost to that has distinctly less talent. I feel like he's a 10 win avg minimum type of coach if he comes here. He's playing the same competition we're playing and doing better. 

He's not perfect, but there's very few coaches that have a better resume that we can get.

God damn we’ve really fallen that far, haven’t we. It’s sad. This used to be a job that just about every coach in the country would kill for. Now we’re settling for Matt fucking Campbell as the best we can do. We really are the University of Miami now. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

3 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

I don't understand the comparison to Herman. Louisiana is the only team he's lost to that has distinctly less talent. I feel like he's a 10 win avg minimum type of coach if he comes here. He's playing the same competition we're playing and doing better. He has had a bunch of star players that were nobody recruits.

He's not perfect but there's very few coaches that have a better resume that we can get.

He’s Tom Herman at Houston.  Or Charlie Strong at Louisville.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

Shit take. It's almost as if he’s playing teams with more talent every week.

Sorry, don't usually like to post opinions much but... And pardon the grammar etc in advance. On my phone and hate typing from it 

Campbell had more offensive talent than Texas this year, yes. You can't just look at fake recruiting rankings. You also have to take into account the kids at Texas have significantly more pressure on them than Iowa State, so you need better coaches and players by a significant margin. If you go into a game with only a slight advantage in talent against a run of the mill program at a place like Texas, there's a decent chance you are going to get beat. Mack Brown and Charlie Strong put this place in a hole. Strong was an awful recruiter. Herman hasn't been a great recruit, but has at least evaluated talent at a decent level.

IOWA STATE OFFENSE

Campbell's QB is more talented (most talented in the conference).

His running back is a stud.

Frankly, it is easier to find offensive linemen in the Midwest.

He has an absolute stud tight end.

His defense is good, although not more talented than Texas.

Feel like his offensive scheme is a little outdated. Purdy underperformed there.

Campbell is a slight upgrade, and he may succeed because he takes over a better situation than Herman, but he's not all that much better than Herman.

Texas must give Urban Meyer whatever he needs to take the job and be successful. He is right there for the taking. It is what a true blueblood program gets done in this situation. Right place, right time. No excuse whatsoever.

We not only need better coaching, especially more consistent offensive coaching YOY, but we must land more 5 star talent. A class full of the 200th rated players isn't gonna cut it. Class ranking is less important than the top 10 players in your class being difference makers and bottom ten of your class being well evaluated. I don't even care where the bottom ten is ranked by the fake recruiting services. The 1,000th ranked player can easily be better than the 200th ranked player. The only thing worth looking at "rankings" for are the 5 stars who also have the size and speed (not Sterns) and the top 100. On top of that, it is evaluation and how much size and speed did you recruit in the class? The rest is just filler to try and get you to pay $9.95.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

They did not out-talent Texas. He’d be an upgrade over Herman, who is a clear upgrade over Strong. Saying he’s simply a Herman/Strong clone is stupid on multiple levels. 

How much of an upgrade remains to be seen. I don’t know if he can recruit like he needs to at Texas. I’d be somewhat enthusiastic about him and also a little tepid. 

This may all be true, but we’re 0-2 on the hot young up and coming name who does more with less and had one good year with a transcendent player and wins some he shouldn’t win while losing some he should win.

4 minutes ago, Kurt Bowels said:

Sorry, don't usually like to post opinions much but... And pardon the grammar etc in advance. On my phone and hate typing from it 

Campbell had more offensive talent than Texas this year, yes. You can't just look at fake recruiting rankings. You also have to take into account the kids at Texas have significantly more pressure on them than Iowa State, so you need better coaches and players by a significant margin. If you go into a game with only a slight advantage in talent against a run of the mill program at a place like Texas, there's a decent chance you are going to get beat. Mack Brown and Charlie Strong put this place in a hole. Strong was an awful recruiter. Herman hasn't been a great recruit, but has at least evaluated talent at a decent level.

IOWA STATE OFFENSE

Campbell's QB is more talented (most talented in the conference).

His running back is a stud.

Frankly, it is easier to find offensive linemen in the Midwest.

He has an absolute stud tight end.

His defense is good, although not more talented than Texas.

Feel like his offensive scheme is a little outdated. Purdy underperformed there.

Campbell is a slight upgrade, and he may succeed because he takes over a better situation than Herman, but he's not all that much better than Herman.

Texas must give Urban Meyer whatever he needs to take the job and be successful. He is right there for the taking. It is what a true blueblood program gets done in this situation. Right place, right time. No excuse whatsoever.

We not only need better coaching, especially more consistent offensive coaching YOY, but we must land more 5 star talent. A class full of the 200th rated players isn't gonna cut it. Class ranking is less important than the top 10 players in your class being difference makers and bottom ten of your class being well evaluated. I don't even care where the bottom ten is ranked by the fake recruiting services. The 1,000th ranked player can easily be better than the 200th ranked player. The only thing worth looking at "rankings" for are the 5 stars who also have the size and speed (not Sterns) and the top 100. On top of that, it is evaluation and how much size and speed did you recruit in the class? The rest is just filler to try and get you to pay $9.95.

TLDR?

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

If the end goal is to go 9-3 every year, fuck it. Let’s hire him. It’s not like we’re a football school that anyone takes seriously anymore. Might as well consistently go 9-3 and get to the cotton bowl. Beggars can’t be choosers, and somehow we’re the beggars now. I guess I need to drastically lower my expectations for what I thought we should be.

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Hook 'Em 1

"Our goal is to win conference titles! Matt Campbell is below our standard!" say super smart Longhorns, as they watch Matt Campbell come within three points of winning a conference championship at a program with 1/10th the resources and half the on field talent as Texas.

"He would never succeed here!", they say, as they say prayers to their god of choice that the stars align and Tom Herman's team can sneak into the prestigious Cheez-It bowl.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

If the end goal is to go 9-3 every year, fuck it. Let’s hire him. It’s not like we’re a football school that anyone takes seriously anymore. Might as well consistently go 9-3 and get to the cotton bowl. Beggars can’t be choosers, and somehow we’re the beggars now. I guess I need to drastically lower my expectations for what I thought we should be.

there are no sure thing hires. and the closest to a sure thing is not coming.  

so it's either stick with Herman or take a chance on a guy who could have a higher ceiling.  it's not necessarily gonna be Campbell that we hire, but i'd rather roll with Campbell than stick with what we've got.  if Campbell is the kind of coach who consistently has 9-3 teams, he's bound to throw in an 11-1 or 12-0 team every once in a while.  law of averages and such.  he'd basically be Mack Brown.  i'd kill for that right now.  and so would you.  better than the shit we've suffered through. 

1998 Texas 9–3 6–2 2nd (South) W Cotton 16 15
1999 Texas 9–5 6–2 1st (South) L Cotton 23 21
2000 Texas 9–3 7–1 2nd (South) L Holiday 12 12
2001 Texas 11–2 7–1 1st (South) W Holiday 5 5
2002 Texas 11–2 6–2 T–1st (South)^ W Cotton 7 6
2003 Texas 10–3 7–1 2nd (South) L Holiday 11 12
2004 Texas 11–1 7–1 2nd (South) W Rose 4 5
2005 Texas 13–0 8–0 1st (South) W Rose 1 1
2006 Texas 10–3 6–2 2nd (South) W Alamo 13 13
2007 Texas 10–3 5–3 2nd (South) W Holiday 10 10
2008 Texas 12–1 7–1 T–1st (South)^ W Fiesta 3 4
2009 Texas 13–1 8–0 1st (South) L BCS NCG 2 2

and don't give me this "we should be like Alabama or OU or Clemson playing for national titles every year."  we haven't been like except for a few brief runs during Mack and DKR's tenures.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

there are no sure thing hires. and the closest to a sure thing is not coming.  

so it's either stick with Herman or take a chance on a guy who could have a higher ceiling.  it's not necessarily gonna be Campbell that we hire, but i'd rather roll with Campbell than stick with what we've got.  if Campbell is the kind of coach who consistently has 9-3 teams, he's bound to throw in an 11-1 or 12-0 team every once in a while.  law of averages and such.  he'd basically be Mack Brown.  i'd kill for that right now.  and so would you.  better than the shit we've suffered through. 

1998 Texas 9–3 6–2 2nd (South) W Cotton 16 15
1999 Texas 9–5 6–2 1st (South) L Cotton 23 21
2000 Texas 9–3 7–1 2nd (South) L Holiday 12 12
2001 Texas 11–2 7–1 1st (South) W Holiday 5 5
2002 Texas 11–2 6–2 T–1st (South)^ W Cotton 7 6
2003 Texas 10–3 7–1 2nd (South) L Holiday 11 12
2004 Texas 11–1 7–1 2nd (South) W Rose 4 5
2005 Texas 13–0 8–0 1st (South) W Rose 1 1
2006 Texas 10–3 6–2 2nd (South) W Alamo 13 13
2007 Texas 10–3 5–3 2nd (South) W Holiday 10 10
2008 Texas 12–1 7–1 T–1st (South)^ W Fiesta 3 4
2009 Texas 13–1 8–0 1st (South) L BCS NCG 2 2

and don't give me this "we should be like Alabama or OU or Clemson playing for national titles every year."  we haven't been like except for a few brief runs during Mack and DKR's tenures.

Or just get a proven coach that’s had success at a major program. You know, kinda like aggy did. But hey, if we got passed up by aggy it would make sense. We have to settle and hope. For some reason I though this school had more prestige, but I guess I was wrong all along

Edited by youdunnf'dup

He didn't cover himself in glory today from a gameday coaching perspective. It might not be fair but you only get so many chances at championships (yes, especially at Iowa State) and on their last drive he completely choked as a coach. 

There was zero excuse for not calling his last timeout then refocusing his team. Not to mention I assume he was at least partially at fault for not getting a call in for the first 35 seconds between plays. 

Maybe he'll learn from it and I'm not saying he wouldn't be a vast improvement over Herman, but that kind of thing is a red flag.

Plus it's understandable not to get lots of top talent to Ames. But having zero buzz as a good recruiter isn't good. As I've said it's my belief we should help our coaches on this last one by unleashing our own bagmen but I doubt we're smart enough to do that so it does matter. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Like who?

Throw a shit ton of money at someone to the point where they can’t say no. We’re the fucking university of Texas. This really should be one of the 3 or so best jobs in the country if not the best. But again, I’ve accepted that I need to lower my expectations quite a bit. That has been made clear by this thread 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

For the record, I actually do agree with this even though I also think Campbell would be better than Herman.  We take exactly zero advantage of having the highest revenue of any athletic department.   It’s like if the Yankees and the Dodgers never chased the big money free agents.  Or if in the 90s when the NFL had no salary cap for a while, if instead of signing Deion Sanders Jerry Jones decided it would be better to trade Aikman to cut costs.
Yeah, he's not wrong. I just don't see a slam dunk coach that we can money whip that's out there to be had.

Look, I'm good with any coach who can develop talent (Campbell is a yes); can coach (Campbell is a yes); and doesn't get in the way of his coordinators (as far as I can tell). He's strategic where Herman says "I'm running my shit, stop me." And then when they do stop us, he doesn't have a backup plan. Herman is checkers. Campbell...well I don't know if he's chess, but he ain't checkers. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

He didn't cover himself in glory today from a gameday coaching perspective. It might not be fair but you only get so many chances at championships (yes, especially at Iowa State) and on their last drive he completely choked as a coach. 

There was zero excuse for not calling his last timeout then refocusing his team. Not to mention I assume he was at least partially at fault for not getting a call in for the first 35 seconds between plays. 

Maybe he'll learn from it and I'm not saying he wouldn't be a vast improvement over Herman, but that kind of thing is a red flag.

Plus it's understandable not to get lots of top talent to Ames. But having zero buzz as a good recruiter isn't good. As I've said it's my belief we should help our coaches on this last one by unleashing our own bagmen but I doubt we're smart enough to do that so it does matter

yep. there was plenty of time.  use the TO and organize 2 plays to get the first.  He'd be an improvement but not by much.  Herman would have likely been 9-3/8-4 this year if we play a full schedule.

the big problem is we don't know how to do bagmen, we'd completely fuck it up, we aren't in a conf that would cover for us, and our pussy admin would take it up the ass and ask for more when the NCAA told us we were in trouble.  we do know how to do the 100.00 handshake but not the big money bagmen.

Just now, longhornmatt said:

For the record, I actually do agree with this even though I also think Campbell would be better than Herman.  We take exactly zero advantage of having the highest revenue of any athletic department.   It’s like if the Yankees and the Dodgers never chased the big money free agents.  Or if in the 90s when the NFL had no salary cap for a while, if instead of signing Deion Sanders Jerry Jones decided it would be better to trade Aikman to cut costs.

My point exactly. I won’t argue that Campbell is a slight upgrade over Herman. I just don’t think it makes a difference at all. It’s sad, man. If Matt Campbell really is the best we can do, I think we’re fucked for another 5 years 

• Like 1

No he isn't. His W/L over the last 4 years is now worse than Herman's with less big wins. 
It's not Campbell's fault that beating Texas is no longer a "big win".

How terrible is your take when it boils down to "Herman's W/L record is better at a top 5 traditional program than Campbell's is at a bottom 10 program in all of P5!".

Jesus. Unbelievably bad. It's like watching two guys race where one is in a Formula 1 Car and the other is riding a donkey and saying "man, the guy on the donkey couldn't quite beat the F1 car. What a chump!"
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

One thing I think Scipio mentioned in his podcast is the difference between dealing with entitled, prima donna 4 and 5 stars versus hungry, insulted 3 stars.  Keeping their egos in check while keeping them motivated is no mean feat.

So ISU is a P5 program, sure, but in the sense of recruiting, it may be more akin to a top G5 because it's actually easier to develop some ignored, but talented players.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

How terrible is your take when it boils down to "Herman's W/L record is better at a top 5 traditional program than Campbell's is at a bottom 10 program in all of P5!".

That isn't my take. The poster I replied to said that Campbell is doing better against the same competition. That isn't true. It was barely true this year and ISU was ranked 6th in the country going into today's game.

And this isn't about Herman. I'm not defending Herman - I want him gone yesterday. 

Edited by ztejas

That isn't my take. The poster I replied to said that Campbell is doing better against the same competition. That isn't true. It was barely true this year and ISU was ranked 6th in the country going into today's game.
And this isn't about Herman. I'm not defending Herman - I want him gone yesterday. 
Would Matt Campbell lose to TCU with Texas talent?

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Gary Patterson is a better coach, so I can’t rule it out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't give a shit. Find someone that cares. Sonny Dykes beat TCU on the road last year with far less talent than Texas has. Do you want him coaching Texas?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Bevo14 said:

I don't understand the comparison to Herman. Louisiana is the only team he's lost to that has distinctly less talent. I feel like he's a 10 win avg minimum type of coach if he comes here. He's playing the same competition we're playing and doing better. Actually their schedule is tougher on paper because they have to play us as well. He has had a bunch of star players that were nobody recruits.

He's not perfect but there's very few coaches that have a better resume that we can get. There's Urban, Brian Kelly, and who else exactly?

You don’t understand the comparison because it’s a terrible comparison that does not make any sense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s amazing that actual living breathing human beings would take Luke fucking Fickell and scoff at Matt Campbell.

Matt Campbell made the Big 12 championship game at Iowa fucking State!! Dude has Opoy, Dpoy, Offensive Newcomer oty, Defense Freshman oty, and Coty at Iowa fucking State! Nine first teamers at Iowa fucking State!

but yeah let’s hire the Big 10 guy who beat mighty Memphis by 5 and UCF by 3

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
10 minutes ago, youdunnf said:
Gary Patterson is a better coach, so I can’t rule it out.

Lol

Patterson would do better here than Campbell would. At least he’s coached and won a handful of big games in his coaching career. I say that and I don’t want either. We should be better than that 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
29 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yes. He’d lose at least a game a year that he has no business losing. Look at his history esp vs lesser opponents like UNI, Drake, ULL, NIU over and over ... hell, the entire 2019 season was one gaffe after another with clock management so bad that Charlie Strong laughed at it.

The more important question is would he be able to get Heacock to come with him and for how long? Without Heacock he’s a downgrade.

Herman isn’t the bar. Matt Campbell is not and should not be our standard. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Yes. He’d lose at least a game a year that he has no business losing. Look at his history esp vs lesser opponents like UNI, Drake, ULL, NIU over and over ... hell, the entire 2019 season was one gaffe after another with clock management so bad that Charlie Strong laughed at it.

The more important question is would he be able to get Heacock to come with him and for how long? Without Heacock he’s a downgrade.

Herman isn’t the bar. Matt Campbell is not and should not be our standard. 

Wait did you just name two wins in your "losses vs. lesser opponents" list? 

Strong work there.

So by your estimation a guy that has averaged one bad loss every 2.5 years at Iowa State is suddenly going to have multiple bad losses per year at Texas? The fuck? Swear to god the Urban thing has rotted people's brains around here.

Edited by BradInATX