2018 San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread -- Into the Great Unknown

Patrick Bateman

5 minutes ago, Amos Moses said:

Kinda shitty, quite honestly.

For San Antonio? Not really, considering they're actually getting decent assets in return for a one-year rental who's made it clear he'll be a pain in the ass during the 2018-19 season for any team other than the Lakers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

For San Antonio? Not really, considering they're actually getting decent assets in return for a one-year rental who's made it clear he'll be a pain in the ass during the 2018-19 season for any team other than the Lakers.

People are stupid. The Spurs got a top 25ish player in return for a dude that was going to walk in a year. 

I've said this many times before, teams overvalue young assets/talent. I'm pretty sure the Spurs organization views this the same way. They wanted a proven player.  

Edited by texasstrong12

17 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

We didn't even get OG or unload Gasol or Mills and basically no picks? 

Jesus, this is a disaster. 

I don’t see how you could possibly think it would end in anything other than a complete disaster. This was about as good as we could possibly do, unless you were just ready to let him walk for nothing and dive headfirst into the rebuild.

12 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I'm fine with DeRozan - I think he's about the best single player the Spurs could expect in return.  I would prefer OG over the center, but that may just be preference based given the trend in the league to play position-less, switching basketball.

The pick bugs me that it is top 20 protected, and I think that will come back to bite the Spurs.  Also, I would rather have unloaded Pau or Patty's contracts rather than one year of very reasonable salary for Green.  

So, kinda shitty, kinda not?  Who know ... good riddance to nephew and Uncle Protocol.

20 minutes ago, Amos Moses said:

Kinda shitty, quite honestly.

not even close.    The Spurs got a very good player that will work well within a system on a decent contract that is locked up for 3-4 more yrs.     A young big with potential and for a guy that was gonna leave and refused to even play for you.

34 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

We didn't even get OG or unload Gasol or Mills and basically no picks? 

Jesus, this is a disaster. 

It was always going to be a disaster. Dennis saw to that. This is about the best outcome they could’ve hoped for. 

Yep, if Uncle Dennis could have kept his goddamn mouth shut then the Spurs could have worked to make Kawhi happy and get something better in return.  At this point I'm just glad to have it done.  I love the idea of Kawhi in Toronto for a year. The only thing better could have been sending him to Sacramento. 

We'll see I guess.  DeRozan isn't giving me warm fuzzies with his initial reaction, and he has a history of some reported mental instability, no?  Hold on to your butts.

I maintain it's shitty all around - shitty that the Spurs were forced to trade a guy who 2 years ago looked tailor made to guide the franchise in the post Duncan years.  Shitty that the NBA is held hostage by guys' feelings about where they want to play or where they think they're entitled to play.  Shitty that blood sucking family members take advantage, etc. etc.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

Yep, if Uncle Dennis could have kept his goddamn mouth shut then the Spurs could have worked to make Kawhi happy and get something better in return.  At this point I'm just glad to have it done.  I love the idea of Kawhi in Toronto for a year. The only thing better could have been sending him to Sacramento. 

Maybe but I think the Spurs were looking for a proven player over young assets. I think this probably has to do with Pop only having a few more years left and at least giving him a decent to good player in return. 

If the Spurs wanted more young assets they probably could have got something done with the Sixers (even if it didn't involve Fultz). To me it's fairly obvious they prioritized getting the best possible player in return vs getting decent to good young players like a Saric, Kuzma, Hart or Zhaire Smith types. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Looking at that salary tweet in the other thread... If Kawhi walks away from Toronto after this coming season, he will have essentially lost a grand total of $80M between the money he could have had with the Spurs and the max he could have signed with Toronto. It was a $30M difference between the supermax and Toronto's highest possible offer and another $50M between what Toronto can offer and what another team can offer after next season. Amazing. Well done, Uncle Dennis. The vast majority of professional athletes worldwide don't have an opportunity to make $80M in an entire career and you just stumble-fucked your way out of it. Sure, Kawhi will make his money, but he is always one more ankle roll away from losing it. 

Not to mention the bungling of the shoe contract.  What an epic disaster Uncle Dennis has been.  He should have been grateful that anyone wanted to pay Kawhi to wear their shoes.  You know why??  Because Kawhi is not marketable.  He doesn't say much, he doesn't show any real personality, and he only cares about basketball.  While those are traits that I like and appreciate, they don't sell shoes.  I suspect that Kawhi will regret the way this has all gone down one day.  

Edited by Hate

35 minutes ago, Amos Moses said:

I'm fine with DeRozan - I think he's about the best single player the Spurs could expect in return.  I would prefer OG over the center, but that may just be preference based given the trend in the league to play position-less, switching basketball.

The pick bugs me that it is top 20 protected, and I think that will come back to bite the Spurs.  Also, I would rather have unloaded Pau or Patty's contracts rather than one year of very reasonable salary for Green.  

So, kinda shitty, kinda not?  Who know ... good riddance to nephew and Uncle Protocol.

I’d say it’s pretty unlikely Toronto’s pick winds up in the top 20. It’s probably irrelevant.

The more I think about this deal, the happier I am. Under the circumstances, mind you. Nothing that could have come out of this mess was going to be as good as a healthy, happy Leonard remaining in SA.

Of course, it remains to be seen if DeRozan, following the shock of the trade, wants to buy into the SA system or not. If he does, he has an opportunity to shine; his mid-range game is tailor made for our offense. Of course, I don't know that LMA will get nearly as many touches as he did last season, so he might go into another funk. But with DeRozan dominating the ball (as best that can be done by a shooting guard in the SA offense), he should get a ton of chances for offensive rebounds. 

In short, it's all speculation for both sides at this point. But I guess that's forever the case with major trades.

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Tell me more about Jakob Poeltl? I’m a spurs fan, but a casual nba fan.

Just looked him up. He's 22 years old and coming into his 3rd year in the league. Was a Top 10 pick (9) out of Utah, was the Pac-12 player of the year his sophomore year.

Played a bit (amidst frequent trips to D League) his rookie year, but last year seemed to be the first big off the bench, over 18 minutes a game, 6.9pts/4.8rbs/1.2 blks. Seems to be a dunk & block center (shot over 60% FG) according to his Youtube highlights. I'm surprised he's being considered an afterthought considering the strides his stats made after his rookie year and seems like he still has a lot to learn. We also really needed a big.

• Like 2

I'm ok with the trade. Wanted all the Lakers young guns, but if this is the best trade we got, it does improve us imo. LMA led us to the playoffs last year without a true #2 scoring option, and that frustrated me to no end (seeing LMA get doubled with nobody else able to hit water out of a boat for large stretches). This solves that. We lose some defense, but DJ might just develop into a legitimate defender that can take whichever of the PG or SG is more potent offensively.

I've been firmly on the anti-Danny train for a couple of seasons now, but man I'm more sad than I expected to see that true Spur go. He's not going to be forgotten soon in SA.

2 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

I've been firmly on the anti-Danny train for a couple of seasons now, but man I'm more sad than I expected to see that true Spur go. He's not going to be forgotten soon in SA.

I'll miss Green's transition defense, for sure. One of the best SGs at derailing opponents' fast breaks. As for his offense, we were having a really hard time maximizing whatever he had left. If Toronto fans are expecting him to be a poor man's DeRozan on offense, they're in for a rude awakening. Amazing how little of a long-range weapon he became after he had to start trying to create his own shots in the post-TD/Boris world.  

16 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

Just looked him up. He's 22 years old and coming into his 3rd year in the league. Was a Top 10 pick (9) out of Utah, was the Pac-12 player of the year his sophomore year.

Played a bit (amidst frequent trips to D League) his rookie year, but last year seemed to be the first big off the bench, over 18 minutes a game, 6.9pts/4.8rbs/1.2 blks. Seems to be a dunk & block center (shot over 60% FG) according to his Youtube highlights. I'm surprised he's being considered an afterthought considering the strides his stats made after his rookie year and seems like he still has a lot to learn. We also really needed a big.

He has nice metrics.  Very efficient.  Can't pass, and turns it over too much, a basic big.  Dive and rebound guy.  He's the missing big off the bench.  He will be a role player but he's also the type of player which positionless basketball is de-emphasizing.  Can definitely and will be in our rotation.  20 minutes a night and start on certain nights.  

Just now, Hate said:

Wait...we gained an AS for a full 82 games and they project we will lose more games than last year? I’ll take the over gladly.

His projection factors in Kawhi playing and doesn't really use a previous year as a baseline.  Our system and coaching is probably good enough to overcome much of the dearth.

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Over/under 39 wins seems like a pretty easy bet if you ask me unless DeRozan decides to not play for Pop or LMA gets hurt.

I agree.  Losing Danny is a big loss though.  We basically lost all of our wing defense, except for DeRozan, who does play D.  Lonnie really needs to get up to speed quickly because we're tiny on the perimeter on the 2nd team.  I do think Manu comes back now.  

Starters:  Murray, DD, Gay, LMA, Pau

Bench:  Patty, Lonnie, Marco, Davis, Jakob's Ladder

Other guys:  White, Cunningham, Manu???

How do you match up with small ball lineups now?  Insert Davis or Patty I guess, both really poor defenders.  If Manu comes back, he could play some minutes in a small ball lineup.  Lonnie will be the X-factor.  If we could have unloaded Patty, it would have made more sense, but gonna guess Raptors didn't want Patty's contract.

5 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I agree.  Losing Danny is a big loss though.  We basically lost all of our wing defense, except for DeRozan, who does play D.  Lonnie really needs to get up to speed quickly because we're tiny on the perimeter on the 2nd team.  I do think Manu comes back now.  

Kyle Anderson was a bigger loss defensively. Danny Green's defense regressed last year but not sure if that had to do with injuries. Green is getting up there in age so he might have lost a step. 

Just now, dingleberryswitzer said:

Iso only offense?

There's another impact..... we lost all of our wing 3 point shooting.  We're going to be a terrible 3 point shooting team but explains why we went so hard after Belinelli.....

What are folks hoping for now?  4/5 seed?  3 seed, which we did get close to last year but a lot of West teams got better...... WC semi's?

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

Kyle Anderson was a bigger loss defensively. Danny Green's defense regressed last year but not sure if that had to do with injuries. Green is getting up there in age so he might have lost a step. 

Danny was forced to often take the opponent's best offense player.  Not normally his role as Kawhi would match up with the best wing.  Danny's a good defender but doesn't have elite foot speed so he would get exposed some.  Still a very good defender and much longer and more important than someone like Patty, who really struggles defensively because of his size.