Major new O.C. at South Alabama

Gil Bang

Wow, Major has to have the most forgiving wife in college football and that's saying something.  She puts up with all this and now has to follow him to South Alabama? 

18 minutes ago, Bama Llama said:

Rich recruiting ground.  Brand new, if somewhat dinky, stadium.  Good climate (ceptin the occasional hurricane),  low cost of living.  I hope Major has success and enjoys living down in Lower Alabama.

Mobile has all the Houston heat and humidity, 33% more rain (66 inches/year), and got hit by a tornado on Christmas.

Edited by clapclapclap
And just 2.5% Hispanic
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Answer: the Flora Bama.

Question: When Mike Leach was still at Wazoo, his weekly press conferences were a zen festival having little to do with football.  A reporter asked him what was the best party he ever attended.  He said when he was at the U.S. Sports Academy near Mobile, he went down to the FloraBama and had the best time ever at bar.  He went on to describe the atmosphere, looking out over the Gulf at night, stars in the sky and stars reflected below in the water, as far as you can see.  He was wistful and smiled.  

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Mobile has all the Houston heat and humidity, 33% more rain (66 inches/year), and got hit by a tornado on Christmas.

Touche.  Guess I should have qualified that.  Good climate compared to Chicago, Columbus, State College, Lincoln, Okie City and anywhere in the Mountain West.  Nice beaches only an hour from USA campus.  May through September you need to lean into the air to walk around outside and keep your A/C repairman on retainer.

Question: When Mike Leach was still at Wazoo, his weekly press conferences were a zen festival having little to do with football.  A reporter asked him what was the best party he ever attended.  He said when he was at the U.S. Sports Academy near Mobile, he went down to the FloraBama and had the best time ever at bar.  He went on to describe the atmosphere, looking out over the Gulf at night, stars in the sky and stars reflected below in the water, as far as you can see.  He was wistful and smiled.  

1 hour ago, PHLaggie said:

I always wondered about that name. Major.

At least someone named their son Admiral (some player at Vols basketball, I think?).  Admiral of the volunteer navy!

Why Major? Why not General? Field Marshal? Brigadier?

On the off chance that you’re serious, he was named after Major Oglilvie by his Alabama fan parents. 

not sure why THAT guy was named major. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

Rich recruiting ground.  Brand new, if somewhat dinky, stadium.  Good climate (ceptin the occasional hurricane),  low cost of living.  I hope Major has success and enjoys living down in Lower Alabama.

2 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

I've spent a large part of my career in Pensacola, FL. Absolutely love the Emerald Coast. Most people in Naval Aviation refer to this duty station as a "dude's paradise". The surrounding south Alabama area is much of the same. I'm sure he can find a nice house in Fairhope or Mobile Bay area. FloraBama is a blast, especially during the annual mullet toss. 

44 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

His coaching career seems to be running in reverse.

You can get away with a lot in coaching.....cheating, paying players, corruption, rampant drug abuse, handing out steroids, etc.  But one thing fanbases tend to frown upon...it's fucking another woman while your wife is at home pregnant.  Especially that last trimester.  Most people look the other way on extramarital business these days, even if there's kids at home.  But while the wife is literally baking a bun for you, and you're out raw-dogging some subordinate in Tempe...that doesn't sit well with some people.  It's going to affect your career, unless your aspirations are in D.C. and not Mobile.  Play Alabama games, Win Alabama prizes.  Next time, set your sights higher.  Maybe a dancer in Lake Tahoe with great tits and a penchant for buggery.

35 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You can get away with a lot in coaching.....cheating, paying players, corruption, rampant drug abuse, handing out steroids, etc.  But one thing fanbases tend to frown upon...it's fucking another woman while your wife is at home pregnant.  Especially that last trimester.  Most people look the other way on extramarital business these days, even if there's kids at home.  But while the wife is literally baking a bun for you, and you're out raw-dogging some subordinate in Tempe...that doesn't sit well with some people.  It's going to affect your career, unless your aspirations are in D.C. and not Mobile.  Play Alabama games, Win Alabama prizes.  Next time, set your sights higher.  Maybe a dancer in Lake Tahoe with great tits and a penchant for buggery.

He was a HC until he didn't win enough for Tilman Fertitta.  Granted he's a mobbed up moron but I still think not winning is more of the issue than the moral digression 7 years ago.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WBT said:

He was a HC until he didn't win enough for Tilman Fertitta.  Granted he's a mobbed up moron but I still think not winning is more of the issue than the moral digression 7 years ago.  

I said it when Major took the job that it was probably a mistake

UH was desperate to get out of being a stepping stone and Tillie Fertie put in those ridiculous buyout conditions and they had ZERO other quality coaches that wanted the job

that buyout was to prevent him leaving, but then he did not demand enough of a buyout for getting fired especially since UH had to stick to their big mouth president and her desire to not have to eat her words with the "we fire coaches for only winning 8 games"

the good news for Major is everyone saw how stupid UH looked for firing him and they look even worse for hiring coach redbull and vodka plus Major already knew Nick and Nick does not hold grudges he will hire a steaming pile of dogshit if he thinks it will help him win and put up with his bullshit so Major had a welcome back to Nicks Reform School For Fired and Drunken Coaches waiting for him and now he has an OC job in a state where he is well known and at a program that has invested some in facilities and a conference that is punching well above their weight....and Major is still very young especially for his experience

3 years or so of OC success at USA and at worst he will have a decent P5 OC offering and at best another HC offering from some G5 with a low budget

shit he is well ahead of a lot of guys his age as it is so he is doing just fine and only needs to keep making the right job choices and he will be fine

3 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

Touche.  Guess I should have qualified that.  Good climate compared to Chicago, Columbus, State College, Lincoln, Okie City and anywhere in the Mountain West.  Nice beaches only an hour from USA campus.  May through September you need to lean into the air to walk around outside and keep your A/C repairman on retainer.

are you referring to the Mountain West CONFERENCE?  

Because San Diego has OK weather. 

26 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

are you referring to the Mountain West CONFERENCE?  

Because San Diego has OK weather. 

I think Reno might be an OK place to live along with Fort Collins and Logan, Utah (you can have more than one wife there!)

Laramie and Boise might be OK too if you are OK with freezing your ass off some

Edited by ButtFumble