2020-2021 NBA Thread of Insanity

ztejas

22 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

and Luka defers to Max Kleber with the game on the line and Kleber nails the three. just as we all predicted. 

Kleber shooting an uncontested corner 3 is a better choice than Luka playing hero ball while double teamed.  Kleber is actually pretty good at that particular shot.

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

Kleber shooting an uncontested corner 3 is a better choice than Luka playing hero ball while double teamed.  Kleber is actually pretty good at that particular shot.

i don't disagree at all, and in fact it points to Luka's maturity at such a young age. he's 21 and the game is essentially playing out as Luka vs Steph, the two of them going shot for shot, and yet with time winding down and the ball in his hands, as soon Luka gets the double team he makes the perfect pass to set up his teammate. there are five-time all stars in this league who've been in the league ten years who don't make that pass. Luka is the man. 

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Well he's shooting like 61% from the stripe so maybe it's for the better.

It’s not really about the percentage from the stripe (maybe like 30 or 40%) it’s more about being the kind of guy who has the other team bothered enough they have to foul you and that kind of athleticism. The “free” points don’t hurt either. 

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It’s not really about the percentage from the stripe (maybe like 30 or 40%) it’s more about being the kind of guy who has the other team bothered enough they have to foul you and that kind of athleticism. The “free” points don’t hurt either. 

He isn't physical and he isn't aggressive. Two big reasons why he's never been a special player. The FTA rate is just a symptom of the underlying issue. 

Just now, ztejas said:

He isn't physical and he isn't aggressive. Two big reasons why he's never been a special player. The FTA rate is just a symptom of the underlying issue. 

Yeah. That’s my point. The shittastic FT rate says he hasn’t made any kind of jump, just had some extra shots go in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Can we talk about how poorly Kemba Walker is playing? Is it just rust coming off the injury or is he washed? He didn't really have a great year last year either. He will have to shoot better for the Celtics to go anywhere in the playoffs.

Yeah, and for some reason Stevens keeps having him in there during crunch time when he cant make a fucking shot.    It really makes no sense

4 hours ago, Llogg said:

Can we talk about how poorly Kemba Walker is playing? Is it just rust coming off the injury or is he washed? He didn't really have a great year last year either. He will have to shoot better for the Celtics to go anywhere in the playoffs.

Always the risk when you buy the best player (especially a volume small guy) on a bad team.  They sort of are who they are if they can't really pass.  I'm going to guess this is a slow start but he really hasn't changed as a player much and he's never been great, just sort of good.

Ya know, I was just thinking that we were about due for our annual old school vs. new school debate. This year, I really want to focus on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and the impact of team sleep advisors. After that, I'll transition to punching myself repeatedly in the testicles.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Ya know, I was just thinking that we were about due for our annual old school vs. new school debate. This year, I really want to focus on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and the impact of team sleep advisors. After that, I'll transition to punching myself repeatedly in the testicles.

We like to call that Wednesday at my house. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

KG's full quote was a lot more nuanced, but leave it to Vic to post the snippet most likely to generate controversy and talking head pablum.

Thanks. So basically it was a humble compliment to today's players. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

The Rockets had 87 points at the end of the 3rd quarter against Charlotte. They put up a touchdown in the entire 4th. I am not even sure how that is possible to pull off in the modern NBA, but they did it. 

CHA played a GREAT 4Q on both ends of the court.    Biyombo was a huge presence in the lane.   It helped that Wall wasnt playing so HOU couldnt really get into any sort of offense but this was CHA really turning it on.  Lamelo to Miles Bridges is everything that Lonzo to Zion was supposed to be and then some.   They have a great connection.

15 hours ago, Juicy said:

I think the pistons could have gotten more for D Rose. That is a mind bottling trade. 

I guess the tankathon is 100% on. Just need someone to take Blake and it will be complete. 

I really dont get that traded for either side.   Not sure why the Knicks want him with their young guards playing pretty well. and not sure why Rose wouldnt want to get to a team with a better chance to win.

KG's full quote was a lot more nuanced, but leave it to Vic to post the snippet most likely to generate controversy and talking head pablum.

The quote I posted said the exact same thing, just in much less words. Less nuanced or not, his views were not taken out of context. I don't care about reading a whole article from KG.

59 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Apparently I was a little hasty in judging Lil'Ball. He seems to be living up to his hype. Charlotte actually made a smart decision it seems. 

Eh. It depends on if he gets better or not. I mean- that's the case for everyone but his playmaking is as advertised. If he doesn't add a reliable jumper and scoring there is a ceiling that is lower than all star on him.  He went 3rd.  So the expectation should be regular all star at that spot in the draft.  

I'd be worried about if he's going to get better just b/c of how much of a clown his dad is.  It's about work ethic from here out on him (as it is on almost everyone in the league- obviously). Hope he does what he has to in order to get better b/c he is fun. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Eh. It depends on if he gets better or not. I mean- that's the case for everyone but his playmaking is as advertised. If he doesn't add a reliable jumper and scoring there is a ceiling that is lower than all star on him.  He went 3rd.  So the expectation should be regular all star at that spot in the draft.  

I'd be worried about if he's going to get better just b/c of how much of a clown his dad is.  It's about work ethic from here out on him (as it is on almost everyone in the league- obviously). Hope he does what he has to in order to get better b/c he is fun. 

He's already proven to be a better shooter/scorer than his brother.    That said, its only been 20 gms.    I'd lean toward giving him the benefit of the doubt at this point.   I was hugely doubtful of him being good but he's shown me enough to say it was a good pick.   Especially if you compare it to CHA's history of picks.

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, d2o said:

He's already proven to be a better shooter/scorer than his brother.    That said, its only been 20 gms.    I'd lean toward giving him the benefit of the doubt at this point.   I was hugely doubtful of him being good but he's shown me enough to say it was a good pick.   Especially if you compare it to CHA's history of picks.

Yep. Looks good so far. If they did a redraft today does he still go 3?  I assume Wiseman would be 1. Haliburton jump him?  Ball has more upside. These 20 games show for sure his floor is higher than I thought. 

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yep. Looks good so far. If they did a redraft today does he still go 3?  I assume Wiseman would be 1. Haliburton jump him?  Ball has more upside. These 20 games show for sure his floor is higher than I thought. 

I watched most of the game last night and he had his shot going. Make 7 3's I think. Said they tried to change it, but that's who he is. Already looks better than his brother to me. Plus he's only started 5 games yet leads in assist and steals.

Along with Heyward, he's got Charlotte 6th in the East. Gerald Wallace was probably an All Star last time that happened after 20 games.