Tom Herman Fired as UT Football Coach

texifornia

Mack left behind a Florida State / Jimbo Fisher dumpster fire -- no offensive line or defensive backs or QBs, after Ash. Graveyard of coaches. As bad as Charlie was, Herman would have been worse, if for no other reason than he would have lost the locker room on top of all the other shit we had to deal with. 

5 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

We are sure Heard couldn’t have been good enough to net more than 51 yards against Arkansas in a bowl game without Watson?

he brought in a clown staff, and regressed completely and totally throughout his tenure. 
special teams were a cruel joke, game management decisions were awful and the program basically regressed in every possible way from year 1 when he was left some nfl talent on defense to year 3 when we were losing to ducking Kansas. Nah man- take the L and sit this one out. He’s the worst coach at UT, unquestionably, since Ed Price. 

You’re not crying, I’m crying. 

Holy shit! I’m having flashbacks. 

A head coach has to be scary. Someone even the big men have to worry about. Someone who might just haul off an cold-cock them just for the hell of it. Tom Landry. Bill Belichick, Bill Parcels, Nick Saban. Strong looked the part, but did he ever blow up on the sidelines when things went south? By the time Mensa realized this, he'd kissed too many players and too many asses. He lost the players' respect.

Haven't seen enough of Sark to know how he'll come down, but he kinda looks like someone who'd put some cement shoes on you and drop you in the river if you cross him. Watching Saban for 4 years couldn't hurt, and he's been through the wringer himself. I doubt if he took all that came his way lying down. I suspect he's capable of knocking heads. Pete sure looks the part. Hope to see some passion out of our coaching staff in the coming years.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

10 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Herman is radioactive. He won't be getting a job for at least a year I'd bet. I'm not even sure Saban would hire that dude. 

I've wondered if Tom would be humble enough to come to the Saban fired coaches rehab program. I know after Ohio State beat Bama in 2014 during the offseason some of Bamas staff picked Toms brain about his offensive philosophy. 

Saban does seem open to learn whatever he can from coaches who have done well. Even arrogant or immature ones. And I believe Tom could learn from the rehab clinic.

1 hour ago, bornbama1 said:

I've wondered if Tom would be humble enough to come to the Saban fired coaches rehab program. I know after Ohio State beat Bama in 2014 during the offseason some of Bamas staff picked Toms brain about his offensive philosophy. 

Saban does seem open to learn whatever he can from coaches who have done well. Even arrogant or immature ones. And I believe Tom could learn from the rehab clinic.

Yeah, but that was 6 years ago and Tom as a public figure is a whiny dipshit whose inability to put the right players in the right positions is a major red flag. That was all Urban Meyer and all Tom had to do was call plays. Hell, even at Houston he was losing to teams he should have beaten if he were so smart. His record proves even before Texas that he loses 4 games a season. He's probably best suited as a coordinator for awhile before he learns to grow up. 

Plus he's a narcissistic, know it all piece of shit. I'd bet Saban would reach out to Texas and get the real scoop. Who knows, tho. Even Charlie Strong got a job and he's the literal walking gene for intellectual disability. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

5 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

A head coach has to be scary. Someone even the big men have to worry about. Someone who might just haul off an cold-cock them just for the hell of it. Tom Landry. Bill Belichick, Bill Parcels, Nick Saban. Strong looked the part, but did he ever blow up on the sidelines when things went south? By the time Mensa realized this, he'd kissed too many players and too many asses. He lost the players' respect.

Haven't seen enough of Sark to know how he'll come down, but he kinda looks like someone who'd put some cement shoes on you and drop you in the river if you cross him. Watching Saban for 4 years couldn't hurt, and he's been through the wringer himself. I doubt if he took all that came his way lying down. I suspect he's capable of knocking heads. Pete sure looks the part. Hope to see some passion out of our coaching staff in the coming years.

This is one thing that always infuriated me about Herman. I never once saw him chewing someone's ass on the sideline after a bonehead play and/or penalty. You can't expect those kinds of mistakes to stop happening if the players aren't scared of what might happen if they do something stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

My handle gives me away as a Charlie apologist, and his tenure at USF ultimately proved me wrong, but I still think, sad as it is to say, that he was a better coach than Herman. Do you really think Herman would have won more than six games with Tyrone Swoopes at QB and that absolute dogshit offensive line we had? As for the idea that he raised the talent level, idk know about that. Bijan is the only player obviously better than any Charlie brought in. The fact is, Charlie really did leave the program in slightly better shape than what Mack left him with. A better human being could have built on it and succeeded, but he was just such an arrogant dick, he just didn't have it in him.  I really don't think he will ever succeed anywhere else. His psychological problems are incurable. Narcissists don't get better; they just dig in and double down. 

Charlie Strong was the worst gameday coach I've ever seen at Texas.  The worst.  

How quickly we forget.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Charlie Strong was the worst gameday coach I've ever seen at Texas.  The worst.  

How quickly we forget.  

Not sure how he was Sunday-Friday, but on  game day, Charlie could get lost in a phone booth.

Wait, it wasn’t game day when he couldn’t remember his QB’s name, was it?

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Looking back, was choosing Sam over Buechele the right call? Sam's backstory and love of the program and budding legend status made it the only call, but was it the right call? I am not really pinning that on Herman, but it seems like that decision was made as much by emotion as logic. 

You can argue either way.  Maybe Shane doesn't make some of those boneheaded decisions like true freshman Sam's INT into the endzone against Okie State.  But maybe Sam's experience in 2017, warts and all, prepared him for the 2018 season.  And I'm not sure Shane as our starting QB in 2018 would've produced a 10-win season and Sugar Bowl victory. 

24 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Looking back, was choosing Sam over Buechele the right call? Sam's backstory and love of the program and budding legend status made it the only call, but was it the right call? I am not really pinning that on Herman, but it seems like that decision was made as much by emotion as logic. 

Seems like for some reason you WANT Charlie to NOT be remembered as the worst coach in Texas history. I don't think you can influence that. He will clearly be remembered that way based on his record,  game management, glaring loss Kansas, and a bowl game performance that looked like we fielded a H.S. team. If anything is mitigating, it would be having Patterson as your A.D. But the buck stops with Charlie.

3 hours ago, bornbama1 said:

I've wondered if Tom would be humble enough to come to the Saban fired coaches rehab program.

I would bet no. If he did, I would think maybe the firing had taught him a valuable lesson. (so, no).

Unless the firing has taught him some valuable lessons(so, no), his ego will make it hard for him to take anything less than a HC position (no).

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Seems like for some reason you WANT Charlie to NOT be remembered as the worst coach in Texas history. I don't think you can influence that. He will clearly be remembered that way based on his record,  game management, glaring loss Kansas, and a bowl game performance that looked like we fielded a H.S. team. If anything is mitigating, it would be having Patterson as your A.D. But the buck stops with Charlie.

Oh, I know full well he will be remembered that way, but as bad as he was, given the contexts they both coached in, I think Herman was even worse. Clone the rosters and have them duke it out; it would be a regard fight but I think Strong would go 6-4 in a ten-game schedule, because Charlie's clones would like him more. We tend to overmagnify Strong's gameday blunders and underestimate Herman's, like his almost never successful key fourth-down attempts at conversions, taking points off the board constantly, and more importantly, he'd be playing the Kyle Porter clone while Strong would be playing the Chris Warren one.  

• Haha 1

Watched a clip on the tubes of USC's Spring game, Sark is very vocal without coming across as a someone who's constantly yelling. He was calling out the refs for making bad calls..and even saying "are we paying these guys?" loud enough for them to hear..lolz. Don't think he will turtle up if things arent going well..
  • Hook 'Em 1

Even if the backstory and love of the program since birth didnt exist, starting Sam was the right call behind that awful, barely there O-line we had at the time. Sam was bigger and could take the punishment, better at escaping and gaining a couple yards when things went south. Loved Buecheles touch and accuracy vs Sam, but he took way too many bad sacks..

7 minutes ago, ousux said:
7 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Watched a clip on the tubes of USC's Spring game, Sark is very vocal without coming across as a someone who's constantly yelling. He was calling out the refs for making bad calls..and even saying "are we paying these guys?" loud enough for them to hear..lolz. Don't think he will turtle up if things arent going well..

After my initial shock, I think Sark is a very, very good hire. 

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Oh, I know full well he will be remembered that way, but as bad as he was, given the contexts they both coached in, I think Herman was even worse.

But the record shows otherwise.

It's OK, dude. The dream is dead. Charlie still made millions.

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Oh, I know full well he will be remembered that way, but as bad as he was, given the contexts they both coached in, I think Herman was even worse. Clone the rosters and have them duke it out; it would be a regard fight but I think Strong would go 6-4 in a ten-game schedule, because Charlie's clones would like him more. We tend to overmagnify Strong's gameday blunders and underestimate Herman's, like his almost never successful key fourth-down attempts at conversions, taking points off the board constantly, and more importantly, he'd be playing the Kyle Porter clone while Strong would be playing the Chris Warren one.  

Let go of your white guilt, man. It’s making you say crazy things.

3 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

*whispers*
I think Herman could do pretty well at UCF.

So, yeah.  Also- he could be a big improvement at Tennessee.  They've been so bad and just gotten buttfucked by everyone better than them.  7-5 with a punchers chance at beating Alabama, Florida and GA might be what they should aspire to.  I think Herman could make that happen for them.  And avoid some of their more embarrassing type outcomes they've been dealing with.  

None of this is making an argument that Herman didn't completely and totally fuck up his chance at a helmet school.  He did. And it was completely his fault and totally unnecessary.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

True, but BOB at least has NFL experience. Tom has vodka and a very meh run at UH. Plus he's probably more of an asshole than BOB (probably a tie if we're being honest). BOB has SOME value. Tom? He can let Saban smell his fingers so he knows what Kendra Scott smells like 

Jeff Fisher has NFL experience and I wouldn’t trust him to manage the drive thru of a McDonald’s during McRib season.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Charlie Strong’s Texas team is the only I’ve ever seen manage to fuck up the coin toss and have to kick off to start both halves. 

I seem to remember it happened to us under Mack once too. Not entirely sure though.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, ajax said:

I seem to remember it happened to us under Mack once too. Not entirely sure though.

36 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

We did that with Mack Brown, too. Other team deferred and defense captain said “kick”. Can’t remember the opponent 

Thanks, I don't remember that at all. Crazy that kind of fuckup can happen to the same school twice in a relatively short time frame.

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

If she hasn't divorced him for finger banging Kendra Scott, she's ain't going anywhere. She loves spending Tom's money. 

I counter with she doesn’t mind spending Toms money while he is finger banging hookers in a location she can go about her life and enjoy the location she lives in. They move to podunk Montana, why not divorce Turtle and take half to an exotic locale of her choosing?

1 minute ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

You know, I've spoken to Vance Bedford at length on the phone on several occasions, and I am a bigger Strong apologist than he is. I am not even joking. It's a sickness. 

Honestly, I love everything that you write, because every time you post, I get to see your awesome avatar. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

I counter with she doesn’t mind spending Toms money while he is finger banging hookers in a location she can go about her life and enjoy the location she lives in. They move to podunk Montana, why not divorce Turtle and take half to an exotic locale of her choosing?

True. Plus think about how much cocaine she can buy after the divorce that she doesn't have to share with Tom? 

Comparing Charlie's and Herman's losses in their first three years proves unequivocally how much worse Charlie really was.

Charlie: 16-21

Losses by 10+ points: 11

Losses by 20+ points: 5

Losses by 30+ points: 4

Shutouts: 2 

--------------------------------

Herman: 25-15

Losses by 10+: 4

Losses by 20+: 0

Shutouts: 0

You can't "but Mack" that.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Charlie Strong’s Texas team is the only I’ve ever seen manage to fuck up the coin toss and have to kick off to start both halves. 

I don't remember how that happen.  Did they win or lose the toss?  As a football official, I would ask a captain if he meant defer (assuming he one the toss).  If the other team deferred, I will still ask him if he was sure.  Heck, most of them time, I ask the coach on the sideline before the toss what he wants if he wins just so some kid doesn't get his ass chewed out for being nervous.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, CBHorn said:

I don't remember how that happen.  Did they win or lose the toss?  As a football official, I would ask a captain if he meant defer (assuming he one the toss).  If the other team deferred, I will still ask him if he was sure.  Heck, most of them time, I ask the coach on the sideline before the toss what he wants if he wins just so some kid doesn't get his ass chewed out for being nervous.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2197846-texas-longhorns-mess-up-coin-toss-vs-ucla-coach-charlie-strong-is-furious

Looks like UCLA won the toss and elected to defer, ref asked what we wanted and Tank Jackson said, "kick". Ref actually did give him a chance to clarify and explained his mistake and again Tank said we wanted to kick. 

6 minutes ago, CBHorn said:

I don't remember how that happen.  Did they win or lose the toss?  As a football official, I would ask a captain if he meant defer (assuming he one the toss).  If the other team deferred, I will still ask him if he was sure.  

As a senior captain on my HS team, I was a part of a coin toss like this. My teammate who answered the referee first stated his choice wrong and we had to clarify what he meant. Took about a minute. After that, our coach told the captains who was allowed to do the talking and who wasn't.

On sub-varsity teams, I had a coach who wanted to kick off first every game, but I can't remember what our instructions were for the coin toss.

Edited by Tex Pete