Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

LJH, off the top of my head

He was WR..   I’m not saying it doesn’t happen but recent history say a big majority don’t end up contributing too much.   Go down the list of 4 star athletes that did nothing, it’s much bigger than ones that did.  

Edited by Hook1997

Just now, texifornia said:

LJH, off the top of my head

He may have been listed as an ATH, but his projection was pretty clear. Just because he played RB in HS and was tall as fuck and obviously not going to be a RB or a DB in college doesn’t mean he was truly recruited as at ATH. Just my two cents. 

2 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

JT, Whitt. 

These fit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

LJH was listed as ATH, but yes, everyone knew he’d be a WR.

Jatavion Sanders was the #1 ATH of his recruiting class and that was very much legit as he easily could’ve ended up on defense. In fact, that’s where most people wanted him at the time.

Edited by Lonestar88

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

LJH was listed as ATH, but yes, everyone knew he’d be a WR.

Jaravion Sanders was the #1 ATH of his recruiting class and that was very much legit as he easily could’ve ended up on defense. In fact, that’s where most people wanted him at the time.

Still sorta would have liked to see that I think.  If he could have been 80% as good of an edge as he was a TE I think I'd take him as a DE just because of the importance of that position as a lynchpin of the defense.  I think.  

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Still sorta would have liked to see that I think.  If he could have been 80% as good of an edge as he was a TE I think I'd take him as a DE just because of the importance of that position as a lynchpin of the defense.  I think.  

It was just all about want to. He didn’t want to play defense at the college level, and if the motivation isn’t there, then having him at TE was for the best.

If he wanted to play defense as much as he did offense, then yeah, I’m in the same boat as you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

ATHs we've taken since 2018: Jelani McDonald, X'avion Brice, Savion Red, Ja'Tavion Sanders, Juan Davis, Kelvontay Dixon, Jaden Hullaby, Bru McCoy, Jordan Whittington, Michael Williams

1 All-American, 1 good contributor, 2 guys contributing at other schools, 1 bust, and some young guys with the jury still out. Not too different than the rest of our recruits in the same time period.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

It was just all about want to. He didn’t want to play defense at the college level, and if the motivation isn’t there, then having him at TE was for the best.

If he wanted to play defense as much as he did offense, then yeah, I’m in the same boat as you. 

Sure. Wasn’t suggesting we put a gun to his head or anything. Or that he could have been even close to as good at edge as he was at TE. 

1 minute ago, TexasRenegade said:

Yeah that one went out way, but there have been plenty of recruits this board has convinced itself in the last 24 hours that we had a shot at flipping that ended up being nowhere close.

Your reference to “this board” is not founded. “This board” is a generally measured group that posts relatively informed news and opinions. What you’re describing is toxic football board runoff that feels compelled to share what they saw on Reddit. I’ll not be besmirched. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Suchomel forecasted Simmons to Texas.  Believe he's usually pretty conservative on his picks. 

I’m not sure I’d categorize “functionally retarded” as “conservative.” He sucks at his job so bad the only person who will employ him is Ketchum. His next stop is the Jason Howell model at Texags. 

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Kibble and Cruz are both 4 year starters on varsity.

very good point and that too at a 5A/6A level which is even more impressive. 

53 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Suchomel forecasted Simmons to Texas.  Believe he's usually pretty conservative on his picks. 

Has Mike Roach? haha

41 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m not sure I’d categorize “functionally retarded” as “conservative.” He sucks at his job so bad the only person who will employ him is Ketchum. His next stop is the Jason Howell model at Texags. 

Guess it should be no surprise that they are best friends (Howell and Suchomel)

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls