Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

28 minutes ago, NoName said:

https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Colin-Simmons-at-Duncanville-272580/RecruitRankHistory/?history=top247

247 has always been lower on him than everyone else:

image.thumb.png.ec256ca609aade46753582e1096ae65d.png

vs everyone else who has him in the top 10:

image.png.1ae9ec73092bcf6c33930067300e564d.png

idk how the top 25 are going to shake out, but i think the bigger issue is that i don't see a world where he is actually outside the top 5 in Texas

image.thumb.png.2fbbd6b057e547dc499c88c8fa0a8c73.png

Interesting to see 2 WRs 6' or smaller in the top 6 over a CB and Pass rusher. Could even add an ILB there. This is usually based on NFL upside, its like they havent watched the draft. That is nothing against any of those players, it just a statement on positional value. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, victory88 said:

-  Don’t look good for Robinson, Blockton, Hibler.  Jayden Jackson has been recruited buy Ohio state and their D line coach since he was in middle school.  But also has lots of family in Texas.

He’s also from an Indiana town less than 200 miles from Columbus for additional background. His brother is also currently playing JC ball at Kilgore. All that said, this is an auction. Bobby and Gerry were very clear that “NIL will play a big factor here.” 

• Hook 'Em 2

Some notes from Bobby and Gerry’s recent recruiting vid.
-  5 star Ryan Wingo trending Texas.  Mentioned Sark has a very good feel for this recruitment and is selling 3 open starting spots next year and life outside of football, things Wingo is looking for.  6’2, 215 pounds and can run.  Looks like a guy we’ll see be the deep vertical threat to replace Mitchell/Neyor potentially.  Arch also recruiting him hard.
-  Expects JJR to commit to Texas.
-  Feels like Texas is in a strong spot for Baker and they feel it’s more Texas and Ohio State than Oregon.
-  looks like Ivy is next for the guard spot after Saina picked USC.
-  expects Calhoun to pick UGA soon and then expect Texas to pick it up with Weston Davis and thinks Davis would want to visit. 
-  Texas/ou for McKinley and driving distance is a factor.  Texas has a shot here and is probably leading.  
-  In a good spot for TJ Lindsey.  Says he wants to play in SEC or he would pick Miami.  Parents don’t him in Miami and like Texas.
-  We look good for Melvin Hills and they think he is severely underrated. Ole Miss going hard after Hills
-  January should pick us soon.  Too much Dline coaching change at LSU and dad is a Texas alum.  Similar build to Sweat.  
-  Don’t look good for Robinson, Blockton, Hibler.  Jayden Jackson has been recruited buy Ohio state and their D line coach since he was in middle school.  But also has lots of family in Texas.

Honestly not sure I’ve ever read a more positive update on the state of Longhorns recruiting.
  • Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Interesting to see 2 WRs 6' or smaller in the top 6 over a CB and Pass rusher. Could even add an ILB there. This is usually based on NFL upside, its like they havent watched the draft. That is nothing against any of those players, it just a statement on positional value. 

January is 97 in Texas. Kibble is outside the top 100 by a lot.

11 minutes ago, Bevo said:

January is 97 in Texas. Kibble is outside the top 100 by a lot.

Run first IDL are typically undervalued. Guards are not a premium position, so I get that. I will give them some slack in the fact that large humans are the hardest to evaluate. They take the longest to mature physically. There are a few unicorns, that are easy to evaluate, but overall there is going to be massive movement from the start of Junior year to the end of a senior year. It is why I believe it is better to follow OVs, than star rankings on OL and IDL players

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Bobby Burton: Recruiting decisions and Texas NIL notes

Well, the roller coaster I mentioned yesterday hit another high of sorts with the prediction by national analyst Steve Wiltfong of St. Louis blue chip receiver Ryan Wingo to Texas. Wingo is clearly a priority for Texas receivers coach Chris Jackson as well as Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian. Sark has been recruiting Wingo for more than two years now. Wingo, however, has yet to announce a timeframe for his decision. Other teams thought to be under consideration include Missouri, Tennessee and Michigan. Georgia, who was thought to be the leader for Wingo at one point, has faded according to well-placed sources in Athens in the On3 network.

IMG Academy safety Jordon Johnson-Rubell also received a notable prediction for Texas, this one came from a former co-worker of mine, EJ Holland. EJ used to cover Texas recruiting, but now covers recruiting for Michigan. Johnson-Rubell is set to announce his decision on Saturday at 2 p.m. Despite some reports to the contrary earlier in the week from other outlets, Johnson-Rubell is considered a Texas lean over TCU, Michigan, Ohio State and USC.

If Johnson-Rubell announces for the Longhorns, it could be a harbinger of things to come on two fronts. First, Johnson-Rubell is childhood friends with Lancaster defensive back Corian Gipson. Gipson is thought to be deciding between Texas and Clemson with a decision likely in July. Johnson-Rubell and Gipson have also become friends with Waco Connally cornerback Kobe Black during the process. Black, the five star, is also mulling a decision but his timeline isn’t quite as clear.

Second, and I think an underweighted aspect, Johnson-Rubell would be the second IMG Academy product to pledge to the Horns. Running back Jerrick Gibson, also from IMG, committed to the Horns a week ago Saturday. The Horns are after two other IMG players – defensive linemen Jayden Jackson and TJ Lindsey. While it’s unclear just how much sway either Johnson-Rubell or Gibson might have with the other two, it certainly wouldn’t hurt to have familiar faces in the locker room.

I don’t know how much a factor Johnson-Rubell’s pledge might mean in either of these instances. However, it’s definitely something worth tracking.

We’re almost exactly two years to the day when NIL became legal in college sports. Yet we seem to be no closer to any reasonable resolution. This is what happens when you have a faulty system at the heart of things, and by that I mean the NCAA. At the same time, patience and prudence has not hurt the Horns on the NIL front to date. Nor will it in the future.

So the NIL statement released by Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte yesterday was a smart move by the Texas brass. There’s no reason for Texas to put itself at risk of NCAA sanctions, which could include the team’s inability to compete for NCAA championships. In short, Texas is doing just fine as it relates to NIL right now. Opening it up to the wider fan-base via loyalty points would have put Texas NIL into overdrive, and that may be put on hold as the NCAA and its member institutions continue to sort through a mess of the NCAA’s own making.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

(Justin Wells) Recruiting Humidor: Decision dates and the latest intel on 2024 Texas targets

It’s been a busy two weeks in Austin as Steve Sarkisian’s 2024 class starts to take shape. As June comes to an end, buckle up for July. Inside Texas takes a look at when recruits plan to announce their decision, and the latest in each of their pursuits by the Longhorns and other top programs.

July 1st

Parker Livingstone, WR, Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy - The 6-foot-4, 189-pound On3 four-star likes the idea of playing at Texas and catching passes from Arch Manning. This isn’t difficult.

Jordon Johnson-Rubell, WR, Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy - Despite 30+ offers and numerous visits across the country, Texas’ official visit last weekend still topped them all. The Horns are in prime pouncing position here.

July 4th

Jordan Washington, TE, Houston (Texas) Langham Creek - After Texas offered the Houston area tight end, Alabama and Texas A&M followed suit. This feels like a Jeff Banks take.

July 7th

Aeryn Hampton, ATH/WR, Daingerfield (Texas) - Texas, Alabama, or TBD.

July 8th

Malik Blocton, DL, Pike Road (Ala.) High - Blocton remains an Auburn vs. Texas battle ahead of his early July decision. There is confidence on both sides of the recruitment with the Tigers having more built-in confidence with older brother Marcus Harris on the Tigers defensive line, and nearly a dozen unofficial visits in the last couple of years. The Texas official visit was a home run with Blocton and his mom, providing the Longhorns with a legit shot here. Texas loves the length, physicality and frame of the Alabama native. Blocton checked in at 6-foot-3, 275 pounds on his official visit.

July 12th

Melvin Hills Jr, DL, Lafayette (La.) Lafayette Christian Academy - Ole Miss is doing their best to push Texas ahead of Hills’ scheduled July 12 announcement. Texas defensive line coach Bo Davis has been in communication with the 6-foot-4, 270-pounder multiple times this week.

More Recruiting

Blake Ivy, IOL, League City (Texas) Clear Springs

Ivy is a battle between Texas A&M, LSU and Texas after June official visits to all three. He was on campus in College Station the same weekend as Texas commitments Daniel Cruz and Nate Kibble. Cruz is working on Ivy, along with Kyle Flood. His parents love the academic piece with Texas and Texas A&M. There is plenty of family from the state of Louisiana, and Brad Davis has prioritized the 6-foot-3, 280-pounder.

D’Antre Robinson, DL, Orlando (Fla.) Jones

The 6-foot-3.5, 315-pounder remains a recruitment with Florida and Texas as the top two this week per multiple sources. The key here is when will Robinson announce a decision. If it’s July or August ahead of the season, that’s good for the Gators and Longhorns. If it plays out into the fall, then that is good for Ohio State, Alabama, LSU and others. Robinson is consistently in communication with the Texas staff.

Jayden Jackson, DL, IMG Academy via Brownsburg (Ind.)

This is a recruitment where NIL will play a key role. Ohio State, Texas and Oklahoma were the top three coming out of the weekend visit to Austin with Miami and Florida on the outside looking in. Ohio State has defensive line coach Larry Johnson and is 191 miles from Brownsburg, Ind. The 6-foot-1.5, 295-pounder not only has family in the Houston area, but his older brother plays at Kilgore Junior College. IT believes the mom would strongly consider relocating to Texas if the recruitment went the way of the Longhorns. Jackson is scheduled to talk to Texas today or Saturday. A decision is expected before he reports back to IMG Academy July 20.

TJ Lindsey, DL, Bryant (Ark.) IMG Academy

The 6-foot-4, 268-pounder still has Texas in the top two, along with Auburn. Texas A&M and Miami also remain in the mix. There is some chatter that Miami is not the parents’ preference. And Lindsey prefers the SEC. Texas has spoken with Lindsey more than once since the visit. He is expected to decide prior to reporting to IMG Academy July 20.

Gerry Hamilton contributed to this article.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, trythisathome said:

Did someone say fluid?

I haven’t been able to quite put my finger on why these make me laugh so hard.  I think it’s the picture.  I’m sitting here at the Raleigh Durham airport laughing uncontrollably and people are looking at me like I’m fucking nuts.  On a side note it’s a good way to clear people out and have nice spot to sit down. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls